Author Topic: State of Umpiring [merged]  (Read 309826 times)

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
Re: State of Umpiring [merged]
« Reply #3105 on: June 18, 2024, 06:46:55 PM »
Do the AFL know how embarrassing they are? Or do they just not care giving they are drowning in $$$$$

Between this and the other shyte with draft changes it's almost as if they're flexing ...."We run the show and can do & say whatever the stuff we want and you can all eat shyte and call it ice cream.."   :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #3106 on: June 18, 2024, 06:54:01 PM »
My view is that they love the controversy and enable it to promote discussion….’no such thing as bad publicity?!

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond

Online Knighter

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #3108 on: June 20, 2024, 10:06:50 AM »
stuffen BS. We have been last every year since 2017. stuff u AFL

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3109 on: June 20, 2024, 12:13:44 PM »
It's the way we play.

Even with a new coach and half our best 22 out.

Duh

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3110 on: June 20, 2024, 12:41:14 PM »
I'm convinced we'd have a compelling case against the AFL if we compiled a dossier of everything they've done to target us since 2017 alone (we could probably go all the way back to the Lockett trade), the umpiring, the "state of the game" hoo ha after the first flag rule changes, AFL Parrot's confected outrage that cost us decent compo for Ellis. , the shyte that went on in 2020, the stand rule , the proposed draft changes..... :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3111 on: June 20, 2024, 09:46:50 PM »
And they wonder why fans are irate and think the competition is becoming a joke. Talk about spon
≈=======

AFL reveals full impact of holding the ball change

The AFL says its pleased with holding the ball numbers following a mid-season change to the interpretation of the rule

By Riley Beveridge
7 hrs ago

THE AFL has declared itself satisfied with how its in-season holding the ball interpretation has played out, believing players have already adjusted to the rule tweak in the three rounds since the changes were made.

The League announced in late May that players would be given less time to dispose of the ball after being tackled, cracking down on those who were "challenging the definition of reasonable time" to get rid of the footy.

The interpretation was made after the AFL assessed feedback from clubs, delivering them examples of what would and wouldn't be deemed holding the ball and clarifying how the rule would be officiated going forward.

The new interpretation has seen the total number of holding the ball calls rise from 8.2 per game, before the adjustment was made, to 9.8. However, only one form of holding the ball has significantly increased.

'No genuine attempt' decisions have risen from 0.2 per game to 1.8, the only overwhelming increase among holding the ball calls, with 'prior opportunity' (6.5 to 6.7), 'incorrect disposal' (0.7 to 0.7) and 'dive and/or drag' (0.8 to 0.6) consistent with beforehand.

It comes as the AFL moved to clarify that when a player has not had prior opportunity, making a genuine attempt to dispose of the footy would overrule whether than attempt led to the ball being disposed of.

"What's really important to me is that we are transparent. As required, we are explaining things and we're articulating to fans and articulating to people watching our game what's happening," the AFL's football boss Laura Kane said on Wednesday.

"That's not something we will stop doing. We want to make sure that people understand what's going on on the field and what's going on off the field. It's been a really important focus area for me and it's something we'll continue to do."

The new holding the ball interpretations came about due to players being held upright in tackles for longer, a byproduct of the positive effects of footballers no longer using excessive force to bring their opponents to ground.

"The fact that we had to make an in-season interpretation change because players were tackling each other more safely is a good problem to have," Kane said.

"We expected to see an uptick in holding the ball free kicks. The first week, it was an average of about two per game. The second week, it came down a little bit. The average now is just over one. We're really pleased with those numbers.

"We're really pleased that players have been able to adjust their tackling technique to protect opposition players and protect their peers."

https://www.afl.com.au/news/1154361/afl-footy-boss-laura-kane-pleased-with-holding-the-ball-numbers-after-mid-season-tweak
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3112 on: June 20, 2024, 10:09:13 PM »
And...

AFL moves to back umpires amid heat over game-defining calls

The AFL is pleased with the ‘terrific development’ of the four-umpire system as the league faces fierce criticism about dropping standards of officiating.

It's behind the HUN's Paywall...what a read it would be  ::)

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/subscribe/news/1/?sourceCode=HSWEB_MRE170_MG_a_GGL&dest=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.heraldsun.com.au%2Fsport%2Fafl%2Fafl-defends-current-umpire-system-score-review-team%2Fnews-story%2F7eb906c6a8c6a5fe7fcee34a5e20bac4&memtype=anonymous&mode=premium&v21=ULTRALOW-Segment-2-SCORE

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3113 on: June 21, 2024, 12:34:16 AM »
What is this idiots background? I mean the previous  clowns were professional liars in suits where as this woman is just so blatantly corrupt.

She seems really happy how things are going at the minute. Everyone gets a payrise down at HQ.

Just so glad Benny didn't go down this rabbit hole.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2024, 07:19:28 AM by WilliamPowell »
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #3114 on: June 22, 2024, 07:10:45 PM »
Kane has a legal background as well as formerly being a footy administrator at North. She was their Head of Footy Operations from 2017-early 2021 and General Manager - Strategy & Football Operations for 2021. Hardly a ringing endorsement given North were in her time and still are a shambles.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/laura-kane-161b7356/details/education/

Kane spinning that "confusing" excuse the other day thinking she could treat the public as idiots was pathetic. The problem is it's not just her. AFL HQ as a whole is a mate's club. That article WP posted showing the deluded AFL is in denial about the crisis in officiating says it all. They're a clique who favour their mates while ignoring at best or paying out at worst on those who aren't. Richmond of course sits in the latter category.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #3115 on: June 22, 2024, 07:13:38 PM »
By the way, seems the way the Pies are allowed to 'handball' the footy hasn't changed in 100 years  :whistle.

https://x.com/rhettrospective/status/1804076793017569366
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3116 on: June 23, 2024, 10:25:11 AM »
I hate N0rt, actually my most despised team but gee in the last 5 minutes they copped a couple of shockers that didn't rate a mention on the coverage

And it appears the 4 umps last night didn't get the memo about the the changes to HTB, up until half way through the last qtr they'd paid 1 and missed countless

Over to you Laura "nothing to see here" Kane

Offline JP Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #3117 on: June 23, 2024, 01:17:07 PM »
The one that got me going last night was Stephen May feigning a dangerous tackle, to cover up the fact that he was caught stone cold holding the ball.  There was a slinging action to the tackle, but his head didn't touch the ground until he placed his head down on the ground, then shot up a hand to fake a head knock!  Ump paid a dangerous tackle which was a wrong call, but May got up to take his kick & didn't even bother with a trainer.  Didn't leave the ground, wasn't checked for a concussion, just faked a free kick at a critical time. 
If May has suffered a head knock (which he didn't) can he be forced from the ground by an official to take a concussion test?
It might've been best for May to not cry wolf when he got nailed in a tackle ...     
Once a Tiger, always a Tiger!  Loud, proud & dangerous!

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3118 on: June 23, 2024, 01:37:14 PM »
The one that got me going last night was Stephen May feigning a dangerous tackle, to cover up the fact that he was caught stone cold holding the ball.  There was a slinging action to the tackle, but his head didn't touch the ground until he placed his head down on the ground, then shot up a hand to fake a head knock!  Ump paid a dangerous tackle which was a wrong call, but May got up to take his kick & didn't even bother with a trainer.  Didn't leave the ground, wasn't checked for a concussion, just faked a free kick at a critical time. 
If May has suffered a head knock (which he didn't) can he be forced from the ground by an official to take a concussion test?
It might've been best for May to not cry wolf when he got nailed in a tackle ...     

Media saying he likely to get reported and fined for staging

To your other question around can he be forced off for a concussion test?

There has been talk that next season their maybe an independent doctor (AFL appointed) at every game to make rulings on that. That would bring us in line with what happens in the NRL if clubs don't bring blokes off themselves

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3119 on: June 23, 2024, 02:04:02 PM »
Pretty sure they awarded a 50m penalty last night in the Norf v Melb match after a player moved on the mark when the player in possession feigned a handball- which the AFL clearly stated at the end of last year would no longer be a 50m penalty.... ::)

Then there was this farce in the other match:

https://www.theroar.com.au/afl/video/watch-commentators-in-stitches-as-hogan-baffled-by-umps-utterly-bizarre-set-shot-instruction-1361172/

:propeller

- Thomas Sowell