Author Topic: Who will be our challengers in 2021?  (Read 19964 times)

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Who will be our challengers in 2021?
« Reply #75 on: April 13, 2021, 01:16:14 PM »
A top six has emerged in the AFL pecking order, then a muddled mess: Power Rankings

1. WESTERN BULLDOGS (4-0, 171.1%) ....... Last week: 1
2. PORT ADELAIDE (3-1, 122.5%) ............... Last week: 4 (up two)

3. RICHMOND (2-2, 102.2%) ...................... Last week: 3

As everyone has said since Friday night: we’re not worried about the Tigers. They’ll still play finals, and probably make the top four too. They’re not at their best right now but they don’t have to be, and they nearly pinched a win on the road against Port Adelaide despite that. We imagine Richmond fans have gotten to a point where they basically ignore the ladder for the first half of the season, knowing their team will get there eventually. That’s a very healthy way to live as a fan.

4. WEST COAST EAGLES (2-2, 110.6%) ....... Last week: 2 (down two)
5. MELBOURNE (4-0, 138.2%) .................... Last week: 6 (up one)
6. SYDNEY SWANS (4-0, 133.5%) ............... Last week: 5 (down one)
7. ST KILDA (2-2, 83.5%) .......................... Last week: 10 (up three)
8. GEELONG CATS (2-2, 90.7%) ................. Last week: 7 (down one)

9. BRISBANE LIONS (1-3, 85.8%) ................ Last week: 8 (down one)
10. CARLTON (2-2, 103%) ........................... Last week: 11 (up one)

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-2021-power-rankings-after-round-4-afl-analysis-stats-every-team-ranked-and-analysed-contenders-ladder-top-eight/news-story/7120139d5dcbe856fa24a0f812e44095

Offline rogerd3

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #76 on: April 13, 2021, 07:24:36 PM »
Ourselves

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #77 on: April 14, 2021, 01:30:58 AM »
Ourselves

Have to agree with you if we can build slowly adapt to the rules and clean up our game I'll back us in anyone.

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #78 on: April 15, 2021, 11:56:42 AM »
RICHO FORECASTS FINALS HOPEFULS AFTER FOUR ROUNDS

SEN
15 April 2021

Western Bulldogs and Melbourne

“I think the Bulldogs are top four and I’ll say top six for Melbourne.”

Sydney

“Still waiting a little bit there on Sydney. They’ll play finals, fourth to eighth.”

“It’s real, but can they sustain that with a young team?”

Port Adelaide

“Zak Butters and Xavier Duursma are injured, young kids that add vibrancy to the team.

“They’re not going to lose many games at home, if any.

“If they go 50-50 on the road, they’re still going to be pushing top four.”

West Coast

“You can get them in some areas then other days you just think they’re unbeatable.

“If they get the game on their terms, they’re a top-two team I reckon, but if you can get it to ground level you can really worry them, like St Kilda did in the second half last week.

“They’ll play finals because they’re not going to lose many at Optus Stadium.

“They need to get (Luke) Shuey and (Elliot) Yeo back.”

Carlton

“At the start of the year you’d think Carlton are a 50-50 type team. They could finish anywhere from 6 to 12.”

Richmond

“Richmond still play finals.”

Geelong

“They’ve got to get everyone back. They’ve got to get Jeremy Cameron out there.

“They’ve got nine games in Geelong, they’ll probably win all of those so they’ll play finals.”

St Kilda

“Big win Thursday night and they’re back on track, but I think Richmond will win.

“50-50 for them to play finals.”

Essendon and Brisbane

“Brisbane have to win to stay in contention and if they lose they’re in a bit of strife.

“If they (the Lions) lose this week, yes I’m worried. Lachie Neale is battling, the forward line is not clicking, Charlie Cameron is struggling, (Eric) Hipwood has had one good game, (Joe) Daniher is going ok, but they need to just get in sync forward of centre.

“If Essendon wins it’s a positive but I don’t think they’re ready to play finals.

“If they (the Bombers) finish anywhere from 8-12 that’s a pretty good result for them."

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2021/04/14/richardson-forecasts-finals-hopefuls-after-four-rounds/

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #79 on: April 19, 2021, 05:49:47 AM »
We're up to 5th.

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #80 on: April 19, 2021, 02:52:11 PM »
WHATELEY AND KING RANK THEIR TOP FOUR SEEDS AFTER ROUND 5

Alex Zaia
SEN
19 April 2021

Gerard Whateley and David King have named their top four seeds in the AFL after Round 5.

These are the four teams they have the most confidence in going forward, coupled with what the teams have shown so far.

"We've both got five teams we think can win it (the flag)," King told SEN's Whateley.

See their seedings below:

King:

1. Western Bulldogs

King praised the Bulldogs earlier on SEN’s Whateley.

2. Richmond

"It’s not a move backwards for the Tigers, it’s just that the Dogs are playing the best of anyone right now.

"In a fortnight’s time that form gets franked against the Tigers."

3. Port Adelaide

"They’re the great seduces, but I do think they’ve got such depth, spark and talent – wildcard talent – in that forward line."

4. Melbourne

"Because the captain (Max Gawn) is now endorsed as the man. In the crunch, I am your man.

"It just formats the structure of a football club when the captain kicks a goal from 50m out to give you a two-goal buffer."

Whateley:

1. Richmond

"I just won’t hear of Richmond not being one.

"Because of that first hint of, ‘alright, let’s assess Richmond after two losses on the trot’ and they just destroyed St Kilda.

"It’s easy to overlook just how good Richmond were – their system is awesome and it was the ruthlessness."

2. Port Adelaide

"1 v 2 played each other last week in Round 4 on the Friday night.

"I’ve got Port at two."

3. Western Bulldogs

"It’s just exhilarating the way that they play."

4. West Coast

"I’m not unconditional on West Coast, but I love what they do at Optus (Stadium)."

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2021/04/19/whateley-and-king-rank-their-top-four-seeds-after-round-5/

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #81 on: April 20, 2021, 02:59:46 AM »
Are there even eight teams worthy of the top eight right now?

Max Laughton
Fox Sports
April 20th, 2021

1. WESTERN BULLDOGS (5-0, 178.6%) ................ Last week: 1
2. PORT ADELAIDE (4-1, 125.8%) ........................ Last week: 2

3. RICHMOND (3-2, 124.9%) .............................. Last week: 3

If you’re going to give a performance as poor as what St Kilda did on Thursday night, Richmond is always going to take advantage. In one brutal stretch across the second and third quarters, the Tigers won 21 of 22 clearances, scoring 39 points from stoppages and building a huge lead. We can’t wait for the Anzac Eve game against the Demons; it’s just the right time for the unbeaten Dees to get a true test, and the Tigers are still as tough as test as you’ll get.

4. MELBOURNE (5-0, 147.6%) ..................... Last week: 5 (up one)
5. WEST COAST EAGLES (3-2, 115.2%) ........ Last week: 4 (down one)
6. SYDNEY SWANS (4-1, 127.2%) ................ Last week: 6
7. BRISBANE LIONS (2-3, 101.8%) .............. Last week: 9 (up two)
8. GEELONG CATS (3-2, 99.7%) ................... Last week: 8

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-2021-power-rankings-after-round-5-afl-analysis-stats-every-team-ranked-ladder-top-eight-predictions/news-story/288c5701bebc038770adaf4c04846b6c

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #82 on: April 20, 2021, 05:17:23 PM »
CORNES NAMES THE FOUR TEAMS THAT CAN WIN THE FLAG AND THE ONE IN THE MIX

Kane Cornes has gone through what he has learned after five rounds of footy, suggesting the top eight is set bar one change.

Cornes also believes there are currently only four teams who can win the flag, on current form, with a fifth team in the mix if they get healthy.

2020 Preliminary Finalists Geelong and Brisbane are not among his contenders as it stands.

“My biggest thing is just that I’m not sure how many good teams there are. I’m not even sure if there’s a top eight,” Cornes told SEN SA Breakfast.

“I think there’s a top six. How many teams can genuinely win the premiership after Round 5? There’s probably four or five.

“The Western Bulldogs can no doubt win it, Melbourne with what we’re seeing can win it and they have enough good players and are playing a premiership style of football, they’ll be tested throughout the year.

“Port Adelaide can definitely win it, Richmond can win it and then maybe West Coast, but who knows about West Coast away from home with an ageing list and with their injuries they’ve got.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2021/04/20/cornes-names-the-four-teams-that-can-win-the-flag-and-the-one-in-the-mix/

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #83 on: April 26, 2021, 04:32:45 PM »
Gerard Whateley and David King have named their top four seeds in the AFL after Round 6.

David King

1. Western Bulldogs

"The Dogs’ game plan disarms you. I think that’s a massive weapon.

"If you can maintain that handball game, you will run riot. They’ve got a group of midfielders no one else has got."

2. Port Adelaide

"Port Adelaide are just ruthless.

"They’re ruthless off the back of a tough Preliminary Final loss. That can be a powerful thing."

3. Melbourne

"I think the top three are a clear top three."

4. Richmond

"There’s a bit of a gap back to the Tigers. We haven’t said that for a while."

Gerard Whateley

1. Port Adelaide

“Their footy is the most complete, it’s the most ruthless.

"I think Port’s best is best (in the competition)."

2. Melbourne

"Structurally, it all makes sense."

3. Western Bulldogs

"I’ve got Melbourne at two and the Bulldogs at three because Melbourne have beaten Richmond and the Bulldogs are about to take their turn.

"If the Bulldogs beat Richmond, then I’ve got to work out next week the margins for all that."

4. Richmond

“I’ve got Richmond at four because they’ve lost to Port Adelaide and Melbourne.

“It could even be more adventurous, but I’m not dropping them out.”

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2021/04/26/whateley-and-king-rank-their-top-four-seeds-after-round-6/

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #84 on: April 26, 2021, 09:47:42 PM »
Last clubs that have started the season 6-0:

2017: Adelaide (runners-up)

2021: Western Bulldogs (TBC), Melbourne (TBC)

https://www.afl.com.au/news/603146/is-it-the-dogs-or-dees-flag-to-lose-the-history-of-6-0-starts

An Omen?  :shh

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #85 on: April 27, 2021, 12:37:19 PM »
When do we worry about Tigers?

Power Rankings after round 6

Max Laughton
Fox Sports
April 27th, 2021

1. WESTERN BULLDOGS (6-0, 175.3%) ................ Last week: 1
2. PORT ADELAIDE (5-1, 136.3%) ........................ Last week: 2
3. MELBOURNE (6-0, 150.7%) ............................. Last week: 4 (up one)

4. RICHMOND (3-3, 113%) ................................. Last week: 3 (down one)

We’re still not worried. It’s a bit weird that the Tigers were beaten at their own game by the Demons - they scored 11 points from midfield turnovers, while Melbourne scored 41 points, which was basically the margin in the game. Plus, when you think of a wet night at the MCG, you think of this Richmond team dominating. But they didn’t, and that’s fine. And we won’t be worried if the Tigers drop to 3-4, or heaven forbid 3-5, with games against the Bulldogs and Geelong to come. It’s all about whether they can return to form in the back half of the season, like they have in recent years.

5. GEELONG CATS (4-2, 123%) .............................. Last week: 6 (up 1)
6. BRISBANE LIONS (3-3, 105.2%) ......................... Last week: 7 (up 1)
7. WEST COAST EAGLES (3-3, 93.6%) ..................... Last week: 5 (down 2)
8. SYDNEY SWANS (4-2, 113.9%) ........................... Last week: 6 (down 2)

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-2021-power-rankings-after-round-6-afl-analysis-stats-every-team-ranked-ladder-top-eight-predictions/news-story/2d0cb0219b6afb26c135c4a8ae6bc650

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #86 on: April 27, 2021, 12:51:29 PM »
Lloyd’s top 8 after finals

1 – Port Adelaide (Premier)
2 – Western Bulldogs (Runner Up)
3 – Geelong (Prelim)
4 – Melbourne (Prelim)
5 – Richmond
6 – Brisbane
7 – West Coast
8 – Sydney

“In fifth I’ve got the Tigers. I think it’s very hard to be up for this long. They’ll win plenty of games. We’ve seen it with Brisbane and Hawthorn, to be up for this long is very difficult.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2021/04/26/top-eight-grand-final-match-up-and-bottom-four-how-lloyd-sees-the-season/

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #87 on: May 03, 2021, 02:44:33 PM »
Gerard Whateley and David King have named their top four seeds in the AFL after Round 7.

King

1. Richmond

"How did we not have them at one all the way through? I feel a bit silly.

"(Trent) Cotchin does a hamstring – that won’t be a three-weeker, that’ll be 4-5 weeks. (Dion) Prestia setback, he might be 5-6 weeks, not 2-3. You don’t need too many more and all of a sudden it gets too difficult.

"That’s the only thing for me that’s going to stop them being short of a prelim. If you have them one for the year, you’re getting to a prelim.

"Their best is better than anyone else's, it has a level of nastiness and a brutality to it that the others almost have to manufacture.

2. Melbourne

"No one will talk about the win against North Melbourne, but to be in the position they were in, it’s still a very good win.

"To win seven in a row … no one saw this coming. I do think all their components are in good order, I’m worried about that one spot down back now."

3. Western Bulldogs

"It’s a slip from one.

"Still, what they did was very good, but that third quarter scares me a little."

4. Geelong

"Despite the loss, I’ve got Geelong at four.

"They’re doing things that others aren’t exploring yet and it should have worked. If they had have won by two points, it’s a different conversation."

Whateley

1. Richmond

"Do we nail them in at one and just disregard the week-to-week fluctuations?

"That’s what the question for the rest of the year is going to be because Richmond’s best footy is the best footy."

2. Melbourne

"I really like what they’ve done, salute."

3. Port Adelaide

"They were one for me but go down a couple."

4. Western Bulldogs

"Good body of work, did some things right, failed the PFI (Preliminary Final Integrity).

"Sit at four for a little bit."

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2021/05/03/whateley-and-king-rank-their-top-four-seeds-after-round-7/

Offline pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #88 on: May 03, 2021, 02:52:59 PM »
Nice looking bottom 4.   

Offline pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #89 on: May 03, 2021, 04:55:17 PM »
Just saw a team of the week released on some website. Not one Tiger player makes the cut in a team that beat the flag favorites.
What a joke.