Author Topic: 2021 Draft thread  (Read 121531 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: 2021 Draft thread
« Reply #150 on: September 07, 2021, 01:35:24 AM »
Another BF draft watcher ModernArtillery has a top 50. A bit of a guide as well for our 2nd and 3rd rounders.

--------------------------------------------------

Over the last month I've managed to see a lot of SA and WA vision so to try and minimise the recency bias I've gone back and reviewed a fair bit of the Vic and Allies vision I've had available. I've had a fair bit of movement with some exposed form causing the likes of Roberts and Jackson to slide with Amiss, Bazzo and Wanganeen-Milera big risers. I've also expanded my board to 50 now.

1. Jason Horne-Francis
2. Nick Daicos
3. Neil Erasmus
4. Tyler Sonsie
5. Ben Hobbs
6. Josh Ward
7. Matthew Johnson
8. Sam Darcy
9. Zac Taylor
10. Josh Rachele
11. Connor MacDonald
12. Finn Callaghan
13. Josh Goater
14. Mitch Owens
15. Tom Brown
16. Kai Lohmann
17. Darcy Wilmot
18. Jye Amiss
19. Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera
20. Arlo Draper
21. Paul Curtis
22. Matthew Roberts
23. Josh Gibcus

24. Rhett Bazzo
Despite the SA forward line being below standard, Bazzo demonstrated some AFL standard traits that will give him the best chance of transitioning to the level. He reads the flight of the ball really well which allows him to be a real threat as an interceptor. He's a good size at 195cm+ and has an athletic base that compliments his size nicely. The thing that separates Bazzo from others for me is his ball use which is a real strength for him. He gets penetration on his kicks and can be a really effective rebounder from defence to attack. I'd love to see the type of performance we saw against SA more consistently from him which would give me a greater level of confidence in him as a prospect.

25. Ethan Regan
26. Josh Sinn

27. Brady Hough
Hough is a really complete prospect and one that I need to commit more time to over the coming weeks. As a midfielder he's got a nice inside/outside balance. He's willing to put his head over the footy and has pretty clean hands at the contest. What has been most impressive is his adaptability to play different positions, specifically in the forward line at state level where he was one of WA's better players against SA. He looks really comfortable on the lead, he's good at ground level and applies pressure when he doesn't have the footy. I think I've gone pretty conservative at 27 here because there's real scope for him to rise.

28. Jacob Van Rooyen
29. Hugh Jackson
30. James Willis
31. Charlie Molan
32. Jamieson Ballantyne
33. Mitch Knevitt

34. Judson Clarke
Clarke has high end speed and class as a small forward where he breaks lines and finishes consistently inside forward 50. His speed allows him to apply pressure, particularly inside forward 50, where he closes in on defenders and either tackles or impacts their disposal. There's a bit of x-factor about him and he doesn't need much of a look to really impact the game. I think he's a prospect who will enter the AFL system with a clearly defined role and enough skill and talent to be successful in that role.

35. Cooper Murley

36. Sam Butler
Butler is a half forward who does a really good job at pushing up the ground and finding the footy. He's particularly good at winning the ground ball at pace and firing handballs out to teammates on the outside. His work-rate up the ground to get involved in the contest and then speed back the other way to get goal side of his defender is high quality and that would see him get real reward at AFL level. Despite doing his best work up the ground he's still capable inside forward 50 where he's a marking threat overhead, willing tackler and capable ball winner at ground level. Butler is another of those prospects who will walk into an AFL club next year knowing who he is and having a clearly defined role which sets him up for success.

37. Mac Andrew
Andrew is a freakishly skilled footballer for his size and just flashes a scary level of potential. He moves really well for his size and his ball drop and use by foot looks more comfortable than a lot of the midfielders in this draft. My concerns with Andrew is how this all translates to the next level given the enormous amount of work that needs to go into his body to allow him to compete at AFL level. His role at the next level is somewhat unclear too, where he could find himself forward, through the ruck or in defence. The skill level is intriguing but I find the required physical development a bit overwhelming.

38. Leek Alleer
Alleer has developed into a quality intercept marking defender who possesses the size, athleticism and ability to forge a career at AFL level. He's still pretty raw and though a touch inconsistent this year, he's shown enough to suggest that the traits are there. He's showed glimpses of being really aggressive at flying for intercept marks, backing himself in and beating his man one on one. He's a willing spoiler too and will opt for that if he finds himself out-positioned for the intercept. His ball use can be a bit nerve-racking at times but it's serviceable and will improve as he gains more experience. He's probably slightly ahead of other KPP's in this draft in terms of physical development, though his football is probably at a relatively similar level.

39. Marcus Windhager
Windhager has demonstrated his versatility fulfilling multiple roles across half forward, the wing and half back. I think his position at the next level is likely to be across half forward where he can effectively push up the ground and be a conduit between the midfielders and forwards but also play a role defensively as a pressure forward and tackler inside 50. I really like Windhager as a prospect and if he can improve his finishing and use by foot then he can absolutely find a role at AFL level.

40. Campbell Chesser
I couldn't have Chesser higher on my board because I've had pretty limited exposure to him and the games that I have seen him play he's been low production and low impact. He can use the footy, he's a good size and he moves across the ground really well so there's nothing overly surprising about him being a highly rated prospect, I'd just need to see more before I committed an early selection to him.

41. Josh Fahey
Fahey similarly finds himself this low in part because of my limited exposure to him. He's got a nice penetrating kick which he uses consistently to good effect. He's a solid athlete too and so physically I think he'll be able to stand up to the level. I think he projects as a handy accumulator and distributor off half back with the key for him being whether his defensive work stands up at AFL level. Fahey's another that I wish I'd had more exposure to so that I could feel more comfortable with where he fits on my board.

42. Lachlan Rankin
Rankin is a real classy operator and gets real value for his possessions. He fits best between both 50m arcs as either a high half forward, wing or half back, where his ball use translates well into score involvements. The highlight of his game is his willingness to bite of kicks into the corridor which he consistently executes with success. He's not a particularly special athlete and probably doesn't have an enormous amount of physical development to come which is a shame because his skill set in a taller, more athletic body could be pretty special. I think he's a value pick in the second half of the draft.

43. Sam Banks
Banks is another classy accumulator off half back who does his damage with his run, carry and kicking penetration. He's got the size and athleticism to hold up in one on one's with the skill and footy IQ to develop as an interceptor. Banks does have the scope to push higher up the ground, whether it be as a winger or a centre square midfielder though some improvement in his contested footy and two-way running would be necessary. I think it's probably more likely that he fights for a position across half back at AFL level.

44. Miller Bergman
Bergman is a mobile, athletic type who covers the ground really easily and can impact the game aerially. He willingly and quite courageously flies for marks and competes to either take the grab himself or bring it to ground. He's a classy user by foot and a good finisher in front of goal so there are weapons there that make him desirable. He's got the versatility to find a role at half forward, on a wing or as an interceptor and user across half back and that flexibility will give him plenty of opportunities to find a role at AFL level.

45. James Tunstill
Tunstill has proven to be a really effective player at stoppage, consistently demonstrating his ability to read the drop of the ball, get on the move and win it with clean hands. He's pretty fearless in there, never shirking the contest and always willing to put his head over the footy. He's also shown some growth in the way that he exits stoppage and distributes to those on the outside, often freeing his arms, moving through the contest and firing a sharp handball under pressure to a teammate. He's a good enough user on the outside too and he can go forward and hit the scoreboard, so he's more than just an inside midfielder. He's got some physical development to come as he fills out a bit more too so there's still some growth left in him.

46. Lewis Rayson
Rayson's had a pretty solid year at all levels though I haven't really seen that break out performance that makes him a must have for me. He just seems to hold up at every level where he's pretty consistent across half back as an accumulator and distributor. He's a good overlap runner and can break the lines and navigate running angles to create space for himself to execute his kicks. At times he doesn't get true value for his possessions though some consideration has to be given to the context of those possessions which in many cases have been under supreme pressure or with little movement and structure ahead of him. He reads the play well enough to intercept at a reasonable rate, particularly for his size, and has a few little tricks in and around the contest that demonstrate some footy IQ. He is purely outside at this stage and some of those tricks in the contest help him avoid contact which can be a problem if teammates aren't on the same page. Adding some size to allow him to compete in the contest more will be really important for his development. I have some concerns about his ceiling and where that extra growth will come from that will allow him to establish himself as an AFL player. I think he's done enough to find himself on an AFL list but I feel he still has a lot of work to do to establish himself at the level.

47. Blake Howes
Howes is an athletic half forward/winger that covers the ground well and is really strong on the lead. He's a good decision maker with the ball in hand and can navigate his way through traffic with composure to find the best target. Whilst he does a really good job leading beyond forward 50, he still offers plenty inside 50 where he can mark the footy, hit the scoreboard and apply pressure at ground level as a willing tackler. He was starting to elevate his production before the NAB League shut down but accumulating more consistently would allow him have more of an influence on the contest.

48. Taj Woewodin

49. Cooper Beecken
Beecken has spent a fair bit of time on the wing this year but he looks most comfortable across half back where he's pretty solid at everything he does. He's a solid athlete that can play on a mix of smalls and talls, he's a consistent user by foot who makes smart decisions and doesn't bite off low percentage kicks. Beecken has a good balance of intercepting and negating, though he is one that does rely on pressure up the ground more than others. He's a good tackler despite not being a physically imposing build, though the contested side of his game is probably the area that needs the most growth at this stage.

50. Toby Murray
Murray is a slight key forward/ruck with a bit of bounce and zip on the lead for his size. He's pretty raw still but he's competitive in the air, showing a willingness to fly for a mark, crash a pack and bring the ball to ground. He's got good mobility for his size which allows him to follow up and stay in the contest when the ball does go to ground. He's got a fair bit of physical development to come but the combination of size and athletic attributes make him an intriguing prospect later in the draft.

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/modernartillery-2021-draft-thread.1273192/post-72025828

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/modernartillery-2021-draft-thread.1273192/page-4

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #151 on: September 07, 2021, 06:20:47 PM »
Draft Central Power Rankings: September 2021

by Michael Alvaro
afldraftcentral.com.au
6 September 2021

#11 Josh Sinn
#12 Josh Rachele
#13 Arlo Draper
#14 Jye Amiss
#15 Matthew Roberts
#16 Campbell Chesser
#17 Josh Goater
#18 Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera
#19 Matthew Johnson
#20 Darcy Wilmot
#21 Jack Williams
#22 Sam Butler
#23 Josh Fahey
#24 Tom Brown
#25 Zac Taylor
#26 Blake Howes
#27 Mitch Knevitt
#28 Judson Clarke
#29 Jesse Motlop (FRE NGA)
#30 Jacob van Rooyen

IN THE MIX:

West Australian midfielder Josh Browne is the only player who comes out of last month’s list of 25, but remains around the mark in an even bunch having returned to his ball winning best post-injury. East Fremantle teammate Corey Warner has produced an eye-catching season in the APS and at League level, while intercept marking machine Rhett Bazzo came into consideration after his outstanding National Championships performance for WA. Claremont ruck-forward Eric Benning has also put his hand up of late, but Fremantle fans will want to keep the athletic bigman’s potential on the down-low.

Fellow tall Toby Conway is arguably the best pure ruck of this year’s crop and has hardly put a foot wrong when given the chance. Sandringham Dragons and St Kilda NGA pair Marcus Windhager and Mitch Owens have also risen into second round calculations on the back of their desirable traits, while midfielders Connor Macdonald and Jake Soligo are consistent performers who earned representative honours this year.

Over in South Australia, Cooper Murley remains unlucky having again been sidelined through injury (collarbone), but has serious talent. North Adelaide accumulator Hugh Jackson put up some extraordinary early-season numbers and made his Reserves debut last week, with Port Adelaide father-son Jase Burgoyne continues to perform and state Under 19 vice-captain Lewis Rayson was a member of our top 25 earlier in the year.

Full write ups on each draftee here: https://afl.draftcentral.com.au/2021/09/06/draft-central-power-rankings-september-2021/

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #152 on: September 07, 2021, 11:51:19 PM »
Keen on chesser

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #153 on: September 08, 2021, 04:36:13 PM »
"A couple of names I have heard that an opposition recruiting team believe we [Richmond] have strong interest in are Matthew Roberts and Dan Butlers brother, Sam Butler."

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/2021-draft-pool.1252517/post-72051744

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #154 on: September 08, 2021, 05:05:12 PM »
Behind a paywall.

Draft guide: What will your club do with its first pick?

The AFL Draft is fast approaching. Here is every club’s current draft order — and who they are in the mix to select with their top pick.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/afl-draft-2021-what-will-your-club-do-with-its-first-pick/news-story/42025e7317912eb3ceb25e43a87e9dcf

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #155 on: September 09, 2021, 09:30:15 AM »
Here's the article:

RICHMOND

INDICATIVE DRAFT PICKS: 7, 16, 26, 28, 40, 44, 80, 98

WHAT DID THEY DO IN THE FIRST AND SECOND ROUNDS OF THE DRAFT LAST YEAR?

The Tigers were not a big player in the 2020 draft, opting to trade their first-round pick to Geelong in exchange for the Cats’ first-round pick this year.

They picked up Brisbane Academy member and 206cm ruckman Samson Ryan with their second-round selection at pick 40 after the Lions chose not to match a bid.

WHO’S IN THE MIX THIS YEAR?

Unlike last year, the Tigers have indicated their intention is to hold onto their two first-round picks.

They will have a plethora of options in a draft which is heavy in quality midfielders at the top of the order.

Players like tough Greater Western Victoria Rebels midfielder Ben Hobbs and silky Sandringham Dragons onballer Finn Callaghan could be in the mix at pick 7.

The Tigers have also picked up a lot of players from the Northern Knights in recent years and would have a close eye on Josh Ward.

Highly-rated Rebels key defender Josh Gibcus is another player who could come into calculations as the Tigers look to life beyond the retired David Astbury and the ageing Dylan Grimes.

He is not a top-end pick but the Tigers also have access to Bendigo Pioneers midfielder-forward Nyawi Moore, who is eligible to join Essendon as a father-son where his dad Nathan Lovett-Murray played 145 games.

Along with the Bombers link, Moore is a member of Richmond’s Next Generation Academy.

ADELAIDE

INDICATIVE DRAFT PICKS: 4, 23, 37, 59, 63, 77, 95

WHO’S IN THE MIX THIS YEAR

Unfortunately for the Crows as it stands the best SA prospect of the 2021 crop Jason Horne-Francis will likely be off the board with Adelaide’s current No. 4 pick, which will probably slide back to No. 6.

So do the Crows either try and offer North Melbourne a package for Pick No. 1 that the Kangaroos can’t refuse for the South Adelaide wonderkid?

Or do they split this first pick to go down the order and take Horne-Francis’ teammates Arlo Draper and Matthew Roberts?

Both Draper and Roberts are midfielder-forwards, while bolter Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera could also come into the mix.

If the Crows do keep their early pick and choose to go with an interstate talent rather than their recent strategy of South Australian prospects then Josh Rachele, who idolises Toby Greene, fits a big need as an exciting small forward who can go through the midfield.

Speed machines Finn Callaghan and Josh Sinn would also offer something if available.

BRISBANE

INDICATIVE DRAFT PICKS: 14, 18, 47, 51, 57, 73, 87

The Lions hold two picks in the first round.

With Mitch Robinson 32 and Hugh McCluggage destined for more inside midfield time they could do worse than selecting Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera for a wing position.

Sandringham Dragons star Campbell Chesser is another player who could come into calculations.

Hailing from an athletics background, Chesser is quick and can break the lines coming off either half-back or playing on a wing.

CARLTON

INDICATIVE DRAFT PICKS: 6, 25, 61, 79, 97

It all depends on whether Adam Cerra joins the Blues during the trade period.

If Carlton is able to strike a deal with the Dockers, they will most likely have to part with pick 6.

Cerra fills a need for the Blues as another strong inside midfielder.

However, if Carlton does not land Cerra, it could look to a player like Greater Western Victoria Rebels onballer Ben Hobbs who also fits the bill.

The Blues will also have an eye on father-son prospect Charlie McKay, who is a 186cm midfielder who was overlooked in last year’s draft.

The Sandringham Dragons product is the son of four-time All-Australian Andrew McKay.

Tom Silvagni, Dane Whitnall and Thomas Gleeson are other potential father-son options for the Blues.

COLLINGWOOD

INDICATIVE DRAFT PICKS: 34, 39, 41, 45, 75, 93

The Magpies cleared out their top pick in this year’s draft in anticipation of matching a bid on father-son prospect and potential No. 1 selection Nick Daicos, who’s since agreed to a four-year deal. Collingwood’s wish to be heavily involved in last year’s draft also saw it part with a 2021 second-round pick in a deal with Hawthorn.

Daicos won’t fall outside of the top three, meaning the Pies need to rustle up between 1787 and 2400 draft points, including the 20 per cent discount, to match whatever bid comes in.

Their first pick, as it stands, is No. 33, which is worth only 563 points, so they will have to bundle up a number of selections and even try to trade in some more.

Collingwood can also match a bid on Daicos’ Oakleigh Chargers teammate Youseph Dib, who is part of the club’s Next Generation Academy – as long as it doesn’t come within the first 20 picks. The Magpies can draft Dib with their last selection if an opposition bid comes from pick 56 onwards. They have committed to signing Senegalese ruckman Bassirou Faye as a category B rookie.

ESSENDON

INDICATIVE DRAFT PICKS: 11, 48, 54, 84

The Bombers’ current pick 11 is likely to get pushed back to pick 13 given expected early bids on father-son prospects in the draft.

However, the Bombers should still be able to get a very handy player at that point, with recruiters believing the top end of the draft this year is quite strong.

Essendon snaffled a couple of key defenders last year, but appears thin for key forwards which are likely to be a focus this year.

A player like 195cm East Perth forward Jye Amiss could appeal, or even 200cm Dandenong Stingrays ruckman Mac Andrew who has also shown some ability in attack.

The Bombers also have raft of potential father-son prospects, headlined by Tex Wanganeen (son of Gavin) who is eligible for both Essendon and Port Adelaide but has closer ties to the Bombers and trained at Tullamarine during pre-season.

Bendigo Pioneers product Nyawi Moore (son of Nathan Lovett-Murray) is also father-son eligible and is a player with serious athletic ability and a few tricks, while Alex Hird (son of James) and Josh Misiti (son of Joe) are also available.

FREMANTLE

INDICATIVE DRAFT PICKS: 8, 27, 81, 99

A lot depends on what happens during the trade period for the Dockers.

An Adam Cerra departure to Carlton could see the Dockers snag two picks inside the top-10.

However, if Brownlow Medal winner Lachie Neale comes back from Brisbane, at least one of those might have to be back out the door.

However, as things stand, the Dockers sit right in the mix for a player like Subiaco midfielder Neil Erasmus, who shapes as Western Australia’s top prospect.

East Perth key forward Jye Amiss would also be of interest with that first pick.

The Dockers also have access to Jesse Motlop through their Next Generation Academy.

The South Fremantle small forward is the son of former North Melbourne and Port Adelaide forward Daniel Motlop but is not father-son eligible for either of those clubs.

GEELONG

INDICATIVE DRAFT PICKS: 30, 32, 35, 53, 89

Richmond holds the Cats’ first-round pick after last year’s swap, while Geelong holds second-round picks tied to Essendon and GWS as well as its own.

The Cats don’t have a lot of obvious list holes, aside from the fact they have an ageing list.

There is a good chance they might package up a couple of the second-round picks to try and move up the order, which would provide an opportunity to go after a gun young midfielder.

One of Geelong Falcons’ top prospects, Noah Gribble, will be on the Cats’ radar as a 180cm over-age wingman.

Gribble missed selection in last year’s draft after rupturing his ACL in the first week of training before the 2020 season.

Fellow Falcons player Toby Conway – a 204cm ruckman – would also be on the radar.

Expect the Cats to also have a close look at Tom Brown, the son of former Geelong hero Paul Brown.

The 186cm defender is not father-son eligible given his father played only 84 games for the club.

However, it would be a nice touch to see him pull on the hoops, with his sister Millie also part of the Cats’ AFLW team.

Greater Western Victoria Rebels defender Sam Breuer also has Geelong links, with his father Shayne Breuer having played 71 games for the club.

GOLD COAST

INDICATIVE DRAFT PICKS: 3, 19, 22, 43, 55, 58, 66, 76, 94

The Suns are likely to trade the No. 3 pick if they can get an experienced player to the club.

However, if they hold onto it, a big-bodied key position player like Josh Gibcus is certain to be considered.

The Greater Western Victoria Rebels defender is 198cm and has a huge leap that has excited recruiters.

Western Australian key forward Jack Edwards, who is 195cm, is another player who could help the Suns add depth to their key position stocks and might be available for Gold Coast’s next picks in the 20s.

GWS GIANTS

INDICATIVE DRAFT PICKS: 2, 13, 50, 68, 86

Assuming Nick Daicos is off the board, the Giants are likely to place a bid on Western Bulldogs father-son prospect Sam Darcy if North Melbourne doesn’t. What they do from there will be interesting. GWS already has great midfield depth, so could it spring a surprise and select key defender Josh Gibcus? If not, smooth-moving, silky-skilled Finn Callaghan might be a target.

There should be plenty of good options at the Giants’ second pick as well. Tall forward Jye Amiss might slide that far, but versatile players such as Tyler Sonsie, Arlo Draper and Josh Sinn could appeal, too.

GWS looks set to match a bid on Academy standout Josh Fahey, who the AFL ruled can be a Giants Academy selection despite him spending time with Gold Coast last year. Fellow Academy members Harrison Grintell and Patrick Voss also scored Combine invitations.

HAWTHORN

Indicative draft picks: 5, 21, 24, 56, 62, 78, 96

The Hawks will bring in another gem with their top-five selection, which will slide a couple of spots because of other clubs’ father-son prospects, Nick Daicos and Sam Darcy. Could they draft another key defender in JOSH GIBCUS, or will they look to bolster their on-ball brigade?

Hawthorn will have plenty of midfield options to choose from, depending on which players are still available. Josh Ward and Josh Rachele are two footballers who could be in the mix. With Ben McEvoy and Jon Ceglar ageing, the Hawks might even swoop on 200cm ruckman Mac Andrew.

Sam Mitchell will also have two selections in the 20s for his first draft as senior coach, courtesy of a pick swap last year with Collingwood. There are more midfielders up for grabs in that range, but Hawthorn might snap up small forward Jesse Motlop, after missing out on Dockers recruiting target Lachie Schultz.

Ex-Hawk Nathan Thompson’s son, Louis Thompson, a small forward, is father-son eligible.

MELBOURNE

INDICATIVE DRAFT PICKS: 33, 42, 52, 91

Changes to Next Generation Academy rules this year have worked against the Demons, who are unlikely to be able to get their hands on an exciting player who they have put some work into in 200cm ruckman-forward Mac Andrew.

The Dandenong Stingrays prospect has been part of Melbourne’s NGA program since 2018 but is expected to be selected in the top 20 picks.

Under new rules this year, clubs are unable to match bids on their NGA talent within the first 20 selections.

There are no major list holes in what has been a very strong team this year, but another key forward could be on the shopping list if there are any suitable prospects left on the table in the 30s or 40s or if the Demons package up picks and trade up the order.

NORTH MELBOURNE

INDICATIVE DRAFT PICKS: 1, 20, 38, 70, 74, 92

The wooden-spooners were the ‘winners’ of the Horne Ultimatum. The Roos may place bids on one or both of father-son prospects Nick Daicos and Sam Darcy but are certain to end up with tough South Australian midfielder Jason Horne-Francis. They may even make him the No. 1 pick without placing bids on the other two.

What they do with their second selection will be interesting, given they have already invested so heavily in their midfield. Defenders Darcy Wilmot and Tom Brown or key forward Jack Williams may be considered here.

Small forward Jesse Motlop, son of former Kangaroo Daniel, would also fit a need. He doesn’t qualify for father-son selection, as Daniel played only 47 games for the club.

Father-son options include defender Jackson Archer (Glenn) and midfielder Darby Scott (Robert, brother of Bailey).

PORT ADELAIDE

INDICATIVE DRAFT PICKS: 17, 60, 71, 72, 90

The rise of Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera this year has the nephew of Port legend Gavin Wanganeen right in the mix at where the Power’s first pick will be.

If Wanganeen-Milera continues to spike and is off the board by then, the Power could look at Western Australia’s Matthew Johnson to add a tall midfielder to the mix.

South Adelaide’s Matthew Roberts and Arlo Draper could even still be on the board then.

The Power will also pick up father-son prospect Jase Burgoyne, who is the son of 2004 premiership player Peter Burgoyne.

A highly-rated prospect, he is a classy midfielder or forward who is damaging by foot and has played some senior SANFL football with Port Adelaide Magpies this year.

ST KILDA

INDICATIVE DRAFT PICKS: 9, 46, 64, 82, 100

Adding some more midfield class looks like being on the agenda for the Saints and there should be plenty of options available when their first pick rolls around.

Locally, Sandrigham Dragons duo Josh Sinn and Campbell Chesser will both be in the mix around that mark.

Sinn is a classy outside player who was co-captain of the Dragons this season, while Chesser was vice-captain and is another predominantly outside midfielder with a good mix of speed and endurance as well as silky skills.

Eastern Ranges midfielder Tyler Sonsie is another player who could come into calculations and is a player who can win the contest but also has polish on the outside.

Another option could be West Australian Neil Erasmus, who is an exciting 188cm midfielder who can also go forward and finish off his work.

The Saints also have a couple of Next Generation Academy members who could be considered later in the order in Sandringham Dragons duo Mitch Owens and Marcus Windhager.

Windhager has a basketball background and has had a strong season after coming off an ACL injury in 2019, while Owens is a 190cm wingman or half-forward who significantly stepped up his game this year.

Jack Peris is another NGA member and is the son of former Australian hockey star and Olympic Gold Medal winner Nova Peris.

A speedy half-back or wingman, Peris hails from the Northern Territory and comes from an athletics background.

SYDNEY

INDICATIVE DRAFT PICKS: 12, 32, 68, 86

There will be some seriously good prospects still available at the Swans’ top pick. They may even add another WA key forward in JYE AMISS to help with life after Lance Franklin. But if it’s players with versatility they’re after, then Arlo Draper or Josh Sinn could appeal.

Midfielders Hugh Jackson and Zac Taylor may be in the mix at No. 32. ANGUS ANDERSON, who was invited to the AFL Combine, and Gulden-clone Felix Rogers may be the next Academy members to join the big time.

Daryn Cresswell’s son, Jake Cresswell, is playing for the Murray Bushrangers and father-son draft eligible this year. There are other Swans family connections in the draft, with Tom Papley’s brother, Will Papley, and Michael O’Loughlin’s nephew, Blayne O’Loughlin, in the mix.

WESTERN BULLDOGS

INDICATIVE DRAFT PICKS: 15, 70, 88

Like last year, the Bulldogs really only have one player in their sights entering the draft and that is father-son prospect Sam Darcy.

The athletic 205cm forward-ruckman is the son of former Western Bulldogs ruckman and current club director Luke Darcy and is tipped to receive a bid in the first three picks in this year’s draft.

Darcy trained with the Bulldogs during pre-season and has always wanted to follow in the footsteps of his father and play for the club.

If the Bulldogs make any trades for picks beyond the draft points they will need for Darcy, there are also some other players in the mix that they have kept an eye on.

Eastern Ranges forward Corey Preston trained at the club during pre-season, while Western Jets defender Cody Raak is linked to the Bulldogs’ Next Generation Academy and has had a strong year which has included some Vic Metro duties.

WEST COAST

INDICATIVE DRAFT PICKS: 10, 29, 36, 49, 65, 83

The Eagles have said they will go to the draft this year and their first pick has them around the mark for WA products Neil Erasmus, a tall midfielder who can go forward and kick goals.

Another West Australian in that range is East Perth key forward Jye Amiss.

Outside of Western Australia, Sandringham Dragons line-breaker Josh Sinn, talented Eastern Ranges midfielder Tyler Sonsie and South Adelaide midfielder-forward Arlo Draper are all likely to be available around the Eagles’ first pick.

The Eagles also have access to East Perth’s Ethan Regan later in the order.

The 191cm forward is part of the club’s Next Generation Academy.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/afl-draft-2021-what-will-your-club-do-with-its-first-pick/news-story/42025e7317912eb3ceb25e43a87e9dcf

Online Knighter

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #156 on: September 09, 2021, 09:57:41 AM »
One of the poorest pieces of draft analysis I have ever read.  Samson Ryan was no longer in the Lions academy and some of the picks suggested for us won't last until pick 9.   

A 15yold who reads Bigfruity could have done a better job

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #157 on: September 09, 2021, 10:03:19 AM »
From Callum Twomey and Nat Edwards' draft podcast:

14:15 – Will the Tigers swoop on an exciting tall? The latest on Richmond's pair of first-round picks.

* Potentially Mac Andrew. Should be in Richmond's pick 7 discussion. Mainly key forward/ruck but could play key back in time as he beefs up his footy IQ. A bit of Nik Cox & NicNat about him. A lot to like about Mac Andrew.

16:50 - Could we see top-10 picks being traded? The clubs who could look at splitting their early selections.

* Would Adelaide trade picks 4 & 23 (2849 pts) with Richmond's 7 & 16 (2711 pts).

5:15 – Who are the Hawks targeting at pick No.5?

Twomey reckons Hobbs is inside mid and too similar to what the Hawks already have and so at pick 5 they will go more for someone like Ward who is both inside & outside.

https://omny.fm/shows/road-to-the-afl-draft/bombers-plans-hawks-targets-pick-swaps-and-draft-g

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #158 on: September 09, 2021, 07:01:15 PM »
Draft depth enthuses Tigers

“I think it’s a pretty good group,” Clarke said on the AFL.com.au ‘Road to the Draft’ podcast.

“We thought going into the year that it was going to be pretty strong.

“There’s obviously some boys at the top end that we knew about . . . Nick Daicos, Jason Horne from SA. Then you have a big fellow like young (Sam) Darcy emerge the way he has. And a guy like (Finn) Callaghan emerge the way he has as well.

“There’s always those guys that may not have been on the radar completely who can really jump up, and I think a few of those have done that.

“Beyond those first four or so, I think it’s pretty even. And there’s a really good mix from all the states, too . . .

“I think having a couple of (first round) selections can give you a bit more flexibility in terms of the types you want to pick.

“However, with that first one, I still think you’re probably looking at best available on where we rank them, no matter what type they are.

“Generally, if they’re around that top 10, or 5-10 pick, they’re a high-quality selection.

“I still think it’s worth putting our eggs in the basket of the best (available) player with that first one. And then maybe we can see what happens with the second.

“There’s a little bit of water to go under the bridge there.”

Clarke emphasised that it was important to have an open mind with regards to bolstering the Club’s playing list and not relying purely on a sole recruiting strategy.

“We did that in 2016 with our list management team, with Blair (Hartley) doing a power of work to be able to bring in those three guys – (Dion) Prestia (from Gold Coast), (Toby) Nankervis (from Sydney) and (Josh) Caddy (from Geelong) – which filled a lot of holes on the ground for us,” he said.

“I reckon we still need to look at that, too.”

https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/1014678/draft-depth-enthuses-tigers

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #159 on: September 09, 2021, 07:02:26 PM »
Update Top 50 from one of BF's draft watchers Davo-27:

Top 50 - September

1. Nick Daicos *
2. Sam Darcy *
3. Jason Horne-Francis
4. Finn Callaghan
5. Ben Hobbs
6. Neil Erasmus
7. Matthew Johnson
8. Josh Goater
9. Jye Amiss
10. Josh Fahey *
11. Josh Ward
12. Matthew Roberts
13. Josh Sinn
14. Josh Rachele
15. Jacob Van Rooyen
16. Ned Long
17. Mitch Knevitt
18. Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera
19. Josh Gibcus
20. Campbell Chesser
21. Toby Conway
22. Mac Andrew *
23. Kade Dittmar
24. Connor MacDonald
25. Josh Browne
26. Sam Banks
27. Arlo Draper
28. Tyler Sonsie
29. Leek Aleer
30. Darcy Wilmot
31. Judson Clarke
32. Charlie Molan
33. Tom Brown
34. Morgan Ferres
35. Paul Curtis
36. Rhett Bazzo
37. Jake Soligo
38. Marcus Windhager *
39. Ethan Regan *
40. Zac Taylor
41. Michito Owens *
42. Eric Benning *
43. Cooper Hamilton
44. Cooper Beecken
45. Brady Hough
46. Hugh Jackson
47. James Tunstill
48. Kai Lohmann
49. Jase Burgoyne *
50. Jack Williams

*= F/S or Academies

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/davo-27s-2021-u18-draft-thread.1252633/post-72059273

Offline The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #160 on: September 09, 2021, 07:45:13 PM »
From Callum Twomey and Nat Edwards' draft podcast:

14:15 – Will the Tigers swoop on an exciting tall? The latest on Richmond's pair of first-round picks.

* Potentially Mac Andrew. Should be in Richmond's pick 7 discussion. Mainly key forward/ruck but could play key back in time as he beefs up his footy IQ. A bit of Nik Cox & NicNat about him. A lot to like about Mac Andrew.

16:50 - Could we see top-10 picks being traded? The clubs who could look at splitting their early selections.

* Would Adelaide trade picks 4 & 23 (2849 pts) with Richmond's 7 & 16 (2711 pts).

5:15 – Who are the Hawks targeting at pick No.5?

Twomey reckons Hobbs is inside mid and too similar to what the Hawks already have and so at pick 5 they will go more for someone like Ward who is both inside & outside.

https://omny.fm/shows/road-to-the-afl-draft/bombers-plans-hawks-targets-pick-swaps-and-draft-g

Leek Aleer as a key back would do fine with one of our selections. I understand we have monitored a late starter to the game who held down CHB for a VFL team this year. Standing 196 with a mature body who can also run, could turn into a player in a professional environment and is young* enough at 22.

Offline The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #161 on: September 09, 2021, 09:59:15 PM »
Would not complain about selecting Matt Roberts with one or our first round selections. Ticks all the midfield boxes :shh

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #162 on: September 10, 2021, 10:32:20 AM »

WHEN the AFL released its list of 90 prospects invited to the NAB AFL Draft Combine last month, Leek Alleer's name stood out. The 20-year-old's season has also seen him break into AFL.com.au's rolling draft team of the year, with Alleer this week getting a backline position. Alleer, who moved to Australia from South Sudan as a child, is an intercept defender who loves flying for his marks, backing himself in the air and cutting off forward forays. He has held down a spot in the Bulldogs' back half for most of the season, playing 11 senior games in the SANFL and averaging four marks. The 195cm prospect has pushed himself into second-round discussions as clubs assess his draft position.

Fellow South Australian Arlo Draper, who returned to under-18s level last week and gathered 25 disposals and six clearances for South Adelaide in its semi-final defeat. Draper is a classy half-forward/midfielder who can impact games in different ways and is dangerous with the ball in his hands.

Matthew Johnson also returns to the side, with his past month including a 25-disposal and 10-mark game for Subiaco's reserves side and also an excellent game in Western Australia's under-19 championships win over South Australia when he had 19 disposals. The 192cm midfielder shapes as a potential first-round pick at November's draft.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/675209/twomey-s-draft-team-of-the-year-mature-age-high-flyer-s-stocks-rising

Offline pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #163 on: September 10, 2021, 09:43:34 PM »
The kid Bowey is the exact reason you keep your picks in the 20s. 

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #164 on: September 11, 2021, 02:52:12 PM »
Matt Rendell discussing the draft on SEN:

Really likes this year's draft when he looked at it.

Clear top 4.

1. North - Horne-Francis  ...... ( not expecting a bid on Daicos/Darcy to tell the kid they rank him the best )
2 & 3. Bids on Daicos & Darcy
4. GWS - Finn Callaghan

There will be plenty of bargains into the 20s & 30s.

Chesser and Sinn in his top 5 a year ago and rates them both very highly.

https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode?id=902028