Author Topic: Rhyan Mansell [merged]  (Read 38791 times)

Offline Loui Tufga

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Beaver BLT
Re: Rhyan Mansell [merged]
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2021, 11:00:19 PM »
Great kick both sides, impressive second game.

Offline Lozza

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2021, 11:04:41 PM »
Baker clone

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2021, 11:18:29 PM »
Thought he was good, allowed Baker to be released and move up on the wing  :clapping
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2021, 06:15:54 AM »
Thought he was good, allowed Baker to be released and move up on the wing  :clapping

Good call, and Baker looked better for it too. He's a great mark for a midget.

Mansell was good. Easy when you're flogging a team but still a solid game.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigers youngster Rhyan Mansell driven by North snub (Age)
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2021, 03:46:35 AM »
Tigers youngster driven by North snub

Daniel Cherny
The Age
April 17, 2021

Richmond defender Rhyan Mansell says he is spurred on by North Melbourne’s decision to bypass him in his draft year, having been a member of the Kangaroos’ next generation academy.

Mansell, 20, played in a winning AFL side for the first time on Thursday night as the Tigers crushed St Kilda by 86 points at Marvel Stadium.

The speedy backman had traversed a circuitous route to get to such a stage. The Indigenous Tasmanian was a member of North’s NGA and is the cousin of emerging Roo Tarryn Thomas, but the Roos opted against taking Mansell in his draft year of 2018.

Fellow Tasmanian and former Tiger Sam Lonergan helped get him to Woodville-West Torrens at the end of 2019. Lonergan is now on Richmond’s coaching panel, reunited with Mansell.

After a strong 2020 in the SANFL, Mansell again slipped through the draft but was invited to train over the summer for a supplemental selection period spot at Punt Road.

He got the nod in late February, making his senior debut in round four against Port Adelaide.

“I don’t even really know how to explain it, to be honest. I never thought that this would happen. The last two weeks have just been a big blur to me and I’m trying to take in as much as I can,” Mansell said as he enjoyed the spoils of the win over the Saints.

Mansell credits Lonergan and Woodville-West Torrens coach Jade Sheedy as the men most responsible for igniting his AFL dream.

“I definitely wouldn’t be in this position right now if I hadn’t have made the move across to Adelaide and played for the Eagles last year,” he said.

When he arrived at Punt Road, Mansell was determined not to have any regrets.

“I didn’t want to leave any stone unturned, I wanted to give it my best and if I wasn’t good enough, so be it. But I put everything into it and trained real hard over Christmas break and I thought coming in I felt like I belonged straight away.”

And he says there is a part of him keen to make North pay for their decision not to take him.

“They didn’t see the potential in me. Richmond have taken the punt on me and they saw all the potential in me, so credit to Richmond for backing me in and giving me a good crack,” Mansell said.

“I spent a couple of years on North Melbourne’s next-gen academy and it didn’t work out and I definitely use that as a lot of motivation to where I’ve got to now.

“They had the chance to get me for near nothing as well so I was a bit flat that I didn’t get there. Obviously, my good cousin Tarryn, he’s there. It would have been awesome to play with him, but it’s worked out perfectly.”

While North languish at the bottom of the ladder, Mansell is running out with champions like Dustin Martin, Trent Cotchin and Jack Riewoldt.

“I definitely pinch myself a bit, when I’m running out beside Dusty and Riewoldt, Cotchin, it doesn’t feel real to be honest, it feels like a dream.”

He says he’d been told by the Tigers’ coaches he’d been picked in the seniors because “I play like a ‘Richmond man’.

“My competitiveness and for a small bloke the physical side of the game. And my speed as well.”

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/tigers-youngster-driven-by-north-snub-20210416-p57jo7.html

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2021, 01:35:44 PM »
Happy to see him get games but i am asking is playing another hbf really the most important team need atm.

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2021, 05:29:51 PM »
Happy to see him get games but i am asking is playing another hbf really the most important team need atm.
I think they are ironing out the wings. MacIntosh has one locked down and now trying to see who best fits the other wing having Baker play through there seeing he was exposed against Sydney with the young tall boy taking easy marks against him.
When Vlaustin returns it will be interesting to see if they’ll persist with Baker on a wing but depending on the opposition I don’t mind him as a wingman.
The club that keeps giving.

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2021, 01:09:28 PM »
Hugo Ralphsmith if not for suspension by all accounts would have got a game on the wing.I like the idea of having a big 188cm quick good skilled wingman who knows where the goals are.

To me the potential upside of Hugo is much higher than any thing that Baker and McIntosh offer.

This will cause another poo storm but McIntosh should not be best 22 long term. Foot skills are horrendous he is one of the biggest fumblers in the team and he just doesnt stay involved enough in games.

I get the love people have for him he runs hard he runs straight lines he works back and helps but the bottom line is hes at best a foot soldier who does a couple of team things well.Its a bit like the current Rioli debate atm.I just think we can and should do a lot better or should be aiming for better at least.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2021, 11:29:38 PM »
So what did we all think of young Mansell's game? Looking for a rare positive but I think he spent most of the night on Kysaiah Pickett and kept him to a single goal.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2021, 11:48:17 PM »
aggressive, i like him.

the last play in their face i liked a lot. At least someone showed something. Played a good game too and kept him quiet.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2021, 12:00:37 AM »
I thought he was good. He still needs to learn composure when kicking but I really like his aggression.
The club that keeps giving.

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2021, 12:52:31 AM »
I like that he has mongrel. Looks better each week

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2021, 01:09:01 AM »
Why were all the Melbourne tough guys picking on a 3rd gamer?

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2021, 03:49:27 AM »
Would've been a handy addition a couple of years ago when we needed an upgrade on Morris... :shh
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Online The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #44 on: April 25, 2021, 09:13:02 AM »
Love his aggression. Watch him use his match payments to pay the fines he will receive :banghead
Doesn't :clapping back down