Author Topic: Tiger chief demands: Get us out of Marvel Stadium (HeraldSun)  (Read 6203 times)

Offline Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
Re: Tiger chief demands: Get us out of Marvel Stadium (HeraldSun)
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2021, 01:42:13 PM »
I love going to Marvel.
Right at the train station, very modern, better seats and under cover, which improves the quality of football.
I understand it isn’t the G, but I don’t understand the hatrid

Offline Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2021, 02:46:03 PM »
I go there because I love watching my team. Whether they play at the G, Marvel or Ararat, supporting your team shouldn’t be conditional.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2021, 02:53:02 PM »
Flogs boycotting a home game just because it was moved down the road...

:shh

"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Online eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2021, 02:57:47 PM »
What wankers like Cornes never seem to grasp is the Mcg is a neutral ground for us when we play fellow victorian teams.

Its got nothing to do with us and it is not our fault that the mcg is also home to other victorian clubs who want to play us at the mcg on thier home dunghill.

The last time i looked this week is our home game, the mcg is our home ground not docklands.For this very reason We should be playing there regardless of crowd numbers.

I wonder how his poo pile of a club would go playing at a neutral venue for most of their games. Never a mention that the biggest home ground advantage belongs to the non melbourne clubs who have 11 massive home ground advantages every year plus every year an added bonus with a neutral derby, nope just never mention that. they would rather sook it up about us getting what we are entitled to.

Spot on.

All i can say to this wanker is if you dont like it mind your own business and take your poo hole of a club and stuff off i can assure ya neither of you will be missed.

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2021, 04:21:42 PM »
I love going to Marvel.
Right at the train station, very modern, better seats and under cover, which improves the quality of football.
I understand it isn’t the G, but I don’t understand the hatrid

i go, but i personally hate it.

Much more better for kids though as your closer to the action, and for all the other reasons outlined above.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2021, 04:28:45 PM »
I’ve been plenty of times to Marvel (not a huge fan but it’s ok but it’s not the G) but I’m one of those that refuses to go when it’s our home game as a protest to this bull crap AFL imposed rule.

When I heard Dimmas presser I loved it. I agree 100 %. Im exactly that person. I won’t go because it’s just not right. The AFL can get stuffed.

While I understand your angst and I hate going there too

Not going doesn't impact on the AFL, they don't care. It does however impact on our Club $$$ wise, that's why I go.
They already have my money WP, I’ve already paid for everything.
The club that keeps giving.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2021, 05:36:24 PM »
The AFL says hesitancy sparked by the pandemic is partly responsible for a sharp drop-off in crowds so far this season, with more than 700,000 fewer people attending the footy than in the first eight rounds of 2019.

Total crowds from rounds one to eight this season compared to the same period in 2019 are down by over 737,000 people.

However, the AFL notes that 2019 was a record season for attendances and on a game-by-game average basis crowds are only down by around 8,000 people per game versus 2019. The average per game in 2019 was just over 36,000 and in 2021 it is hovering between 28,000 and 29,000.

AFL research, according to a league spokesman, also shows some fans are still hesitant to venture back out to games. There’s also uncertainty around interstate travel, uncertainty around travelling on public transport and technological hurdles for some fans when buying tickets.

Up until this round fans in Victoria have not been able to scan their membership cards to sit in their reserved seats, which has made it hard for people to go to the footy in the groups they usually would.

The AFL say those without smartphones can work with their clubs to enter games, given some clubs are issuing membership cards electronically this season.

Richmond have been contacted for comment.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/not-so-marvellous-afl-optimistic-despite-drop-in-crowd-numbers-20210516-p57scw.html

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2021, 08:29:30 PM »
I’ve been plenty of times to Marvel (not a huge fan but it’s ok but it’s not the G) but I’m one of those that refuses to go when it’s our home game as a protest to this bull crap AFL imposed rule.

When I heard Dimmas presser I loved it. I agree 100 %. Im exactly that person. I won’t go because it’s just not right. The AFL can get stuffed.

While I understand your angst and I hate going there too

Not going doesn't impact on the AFL, they don't care. It does however impact on our Club $$$ wise, that's why I go.
They already have my money WP, I’ve already paid for everything.

Yes they have my $$ too, but low crowds = lower the gate takings. Lower crowds mean no reserve seat upgrades, lower food sales, just lower revenue on game day. Lower revenue means our benefit after costs, that is the profit generated from the game is reduced.

Even Benny Gale said playing there was going to cost us at least $200k. So the smaller crowd costs the Club.
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2021, 04:24:44 AM »
It's the ticketing system that is putting people off. The ticketing agencies are using the covid restrictions to price gouge  :thumbsdown.

The top tier (level 3) of Docklands prior to covid had always been 'free' entry for GA RFC members to sit in. However, for the weekend's game they added $10 to book a reserved seat for the front 10 rows of the top tier. The 'free' "general reserve" area that the Club suggested for our GA members was up the back of the top tier and (when I logged onto ticketmaster to book) also in the corner bays of the stadium selected by ticketmaster at 'random' (i.e. the worst seats).

Many people aren't going to attend the footy when they are either forced to sit in the worst seats or pay more for seats that use to be free to them both in terms of cost and choice.

ps. It was a GWS game so with few away fans the stadium was never going to be anywhere near full especially up in the top tier. They were just trying to rip off and extort more money from ordinary Tiger members and supporters :thumbsdown.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2021, 07:33:40 AM »
Club isn't blameless in this fiasco that was our home game at Marvel.

An email a week before the game explaining the ticket situation? Not good enough

No balloting? Even though it wasn't Marvel the Club still could have and should have greater input into the entire allocation process.

And before folks say "but the MCG is via Ticketek and Marvel is Ticketmaster" the Clubs membership portal is through Ticketmaster, so there is a connection there.

In previous season for our one and only home game there we haven't had to put up with what we faced this time. What was dished up was unacceptable. No reserve seat holder should have to pay for any seat. End of story, we haven't before and we shouldn't have had to this time. The Club would have been aware of this and the Club shouldn't of allowed it to happen so they are not blameless here.

It was simply a poorly executed plan and the members were the ones who suffered
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2021, 07:41:59 AM »
It's the ticketing system that is putting people off. The ticketing agencies are using the covid restrictions to price gouge  :thumbsdown.

The top tier (level 3) of Docklands prior to covid had always been 'free' entry for GA RFC members to sit in. However, for the weekend's game they added $10 to book a reserved seat for the front 10 rows of the top tier. The 'free' "general reserve" area that the Club suggested for our GA members was up the back of the top tier and (when I logged onto ticketmaster to book) also in the corner bays of the stadium selected by ticketmaster at 'random' (i.e. the worst seats).

Many people aren't going to attend the footy when they are either forced to sit in the worst seats or pay more for seats that use to be free to them both in terms of cost and choice.

ps. It was a GWS game so with few away fans the stadium was never going to be anywhere near full especially up in the top tier. They were just trying to rip off and extort more money from ordinary Tiger members and supporters :thumbsdown.

Cant stand the joint but still go.
We got first row on the top level no extra charge?
As a reserved seat holder level 1 at the G, I expect a equal replacement so far from happy especially seeing the amount of people there.
Marvel can ram it up its Ramhole!!!

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2021, 12:23:50 PM »
I went.

Seat and viewing was fine.

Pain in the ass to get there and back with the train swap.

I see no reason at all why we are hosting at Marvel when the MCG is free. All home games should be at the MCG and I am happy to play Geelong at their poohole when they are hosting us.

Any other away games at the MCG are just part of the game and has been since the VFL became the AFL. Nobody gave a crap until we won flags.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2021, 07:32:55 AM »
Clickbait Kane had another meltdown about us on Footy Classified last night.

"It's one of the most precious things I've seen in recent history...They have had the biggest free kick in the history of game in the past four years"

@kanecornes doesn't agree with Richmond's stance on Marvel Stadium.

https://twitter.com/FootyonNine/status/1394280273911631873

-----------------------

“One of the most precious things I‘ve ever seen. They are so precious at the moment,” Cornes said on Channel 9’s Footy Classified.

“They have had the biggest fixture free kick in the history of the game for the last four years, to the point where they‘ve played home finals at the MCG that they haven’t deserved. Geelong have earned and been moved to the MCG.

“I just get the feeling that every time I turn the TV on or on social media you hear coaches whinging at the moment.

“From where we were last year, Richmond would‘ve loved to have 18,000 at Marvel and produce one of the great home and away games of the year.

“The coaches have a responsibility at times to talk the game up. It‘s never been better, but every time the coaches are talking, they’re talking it down at the moment.”

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2021, 07:35:26 AM »
Essendon great Matthew Lloyd questioned how spoilt fans had become that they could cross from the MCG to Marvel Stadium, which is only a few kilometres and train stops away.

While Nine’s Sam McClure explained the comments hadn’t sat well with AFL House with the likelihood of Richmond CEO Brendon Gale receiving a call from Gillon McLachlan after the doubling down across the weekend.

The Round 9 clash is the only home game at Marvel Stadium for the Tigers this year, with Fox Footy’s On The Couch host Gerard Healy believing the stadium had been undersold just how important it is for the entire competition.

“I just think Marvel gets a bad rap. I think we need to understand what Marvel Stadium is. Everybody has to take their turn at playing there once, Marvel Stadium without it last year the competition ends. Marvel Stadium is an asset,” he explained.

“It’s not the best stadium in the world, but it’s the best indoor stadium we have.”

Garry Lyon believed the Tigers should “suck this up for the betterment of the competition” with the club potentially able to have spun the message to fans about how big attendance would help the league financially and allow more assistant coaches to return after the COVID-19 cutbacks.

“I didn’t think it was a great look for the game, I don’t think it was great,” Jonathan Brown added.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-news-2021-richmond-marvel-stadium-damien-hardwick-complaints-kane-cornes-brendon-gale-mcg-fans-crowds/news-story/e8e3d20a9bc3115262550ce9a1f1e3c5

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2021, 10:36:43 AM »
The league doesn’t need help financially. When they have spare cash they have stupid ideas like aflx and exhibition games in China and LA. They give zero fs about grass roots club, they’d rather pump up their wallets wi to gambling ads and putting all the games on pay per view. The club is the only entity I want my money to go to. F the AFL.