Author Topic: Rectifying inconsistency in games will be the Tigers' focus: Hardwick (Age)  (Read 732 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
From Dimma's presser today:

The Tigers are coming off a narrow loss to West Coast a fortnight ago, refreshed but aware there is still a long way to go to secure a top-eight spot.

“It’s a tough block,” Hardwick said. “I think the months get colder, it’s harder to get out of bed but we’ve got to get the whips starting to crack so to speak, so we’ve got to get our very best footy up and about.

“We’re hanging tough at the moment; we’re 7-6, we’re in the hunt. We’re not where we want to be; we know our best footy is certainly in front of us from that point of view, but we’ve got to start playing to the level we think we’re capable of.”

Hardwick said rectifying inconsistency in games would be his side’s key focus against the Saints.

“I think we’ve had, probably like most sides throughout the year, lapses every now and then and let some goals through in certain periods of time,” he said.

“I think we’ve dominated games but then we’ve let a side get a four-goal run on, which is something we don’t normally do, so we’ve got to eradicate that.”

Hardwick said he would be intrigued to see what brand of football the Saints produce, having noticed a change in their style since the two sides last met in round five.

“I think of their own accord, they’re a side when they play their very best, they’re hard to beat. Them at their best is what we’re expecting,” he said.

“They’ve been bashed around a little bit in the media but we know them at their best can be damaging, so we’ve got to be aware of how that looks.

“They’ve changed the way they play a little bit from the last time we met them; they move the ball a bit more ‘around the world’ type of movement ... so we’re interested to see what style of game they bring against us.”

Source: The Age

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
“I think we’ve dominated games but then we’ve let a side get a four-goal run on, which is something we don’t normally do, so we’ve got to eradicate that.”
Partly due to our poorer skills this year. Too many unforced U10s mistakes. Players in space not hitting teammates who are open targets which not only stuffs up goal opportunities but also allows the opposition in at a loose ball and turn over possession. 

The other reason is the poor form and positioning of our small forwards. As was posted in the Eagles game thread, our small forwards are running past the contest going for the low % hero crumb into an open goal rather than playing the percentages by being front and square. You got to protect the defensive side.

Even across the ground, we've been poor protecting the defensive side of contests. Too many times we've allowed the opposition to waltz out of the front of contests. That poor defending gifts goals to the opposition which is why we've conceded too many runs of goals against us this year.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
Our pee-poor, half-arsed tackling has also been a major contributor to this year's mediocrity.... :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Bump. The players missed the memo :banghead.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
Bump. The players missed the memo :banghead.

coaches cant be spared criticism either for that performance. Singling out Rioli whilst leaving george in the team.

playing a new young ruck against those 2, what were they thinking.

I would think the coaches are about as inconsistent as the players are at the moment.

our game plan tonight reminded me of a month ago at collingwood under bucks. Rubbish.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.