Author Topic: Kane Cornes rips into ‘pathetic’ crowd turnout for prime-time Tigers (Fox)  (Read 2528 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
‘Where are you all?’: Cornes rips into ‘pathetic’ crowd turnout for prime-time Tigers

Fox Sports
July 2nd, 2021

Port Adelaide great Kane Cornes has labelled the crowd numbers from last night’s Richmond loss to the Gold Coast “pathetic”, with the Marvel Stadium game attended by less than 10,000 patrons.

Both Marvel Stadium and the MCG are currently permitted to host up to 25,000 people as outdoor venues, but Thursday’s game (a Gold Coast home game relocated to Melbourne) managed to attract only 9,327 spectators.

Speaking on SEN’s The Captain’s Run, Cornes said Tigers coach Damien Hardwick and CEO Brendon Gale had only themselves to blame for the poor turnout.

“The supposed Tiger army with its 103,000 membership base has jumped off,” he said.

“To be fair, the moment Brendon Gale and Damien Hardwick whinged about playing at Marvel earlier this year, the crowd were never going to show.

“I do wonder if a bigger Richmond crowd would’ve pulled its side over the line late last night.”

Hardwick complained after the side’s win over GWS back in May that the side “hated” playing at Marvel Stadium as opposed to the MCG, comments he later apologised for.

Cornes said that, despite fans’ potential hesitancy in attending games amid fixture and COVID-19 uncertainty, the turnout for the club with the second-biggest membership base behind West Coast was not good enough.

“The crowd last night was 9,000. Don’t Richmond have 103,000 members? I get the situation that is in front of us and the uncertainty about where games are going to be played, but don’t tell me 9,000 crowd on Thursday night footy indoors is a good crowd. In fact, it’s pathetic,” he said.

“Where have the Richmond fans gone? Why do you refuse to go to the footy? Where are you all? Certainly the Tigers could’ve used your support late in that game when the Tigers were storming home.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/teams/richmond-tigers/afl-news-2021-richmond-loss-crowd-at-marvel-stadium-crowd-averages-richmond-members-kane-cornes-damien-hardwick-marvel-stadium-comments/news-story/feb2052f4d93235391ae26dcb19b74f2

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
We might have to borrow Poorts tarps
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
i do agree with him.

everyone has different circumstances. Some may be scared of catching covid, others didnt renew. Biggest reason is people are used to staying home and being lazy so why would they bother watching the effort we have put out this year.

I have fronted up though can understand why others havent.

What the idiot fails to mention is how are the crowds at the other games?

https://www.austadiums.com/sport/comp/afl/results

Crowd arent showing up to all games. Even when we had full capacity it still never reached capacity.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Couple of points

1. Kane and the rest of the media need to understand that although they love Thursday night footy, the majority of fans don't.

Personally, I was up working until 11.30 Wednesday night and started at 7am yesterday all so I could get to the game. I didn't get home until close to 11pm and then had to start work again at 7.30 this morning to meet deadlines End of Fin Year happens to be a busy time for me. So fair to say today I feel cactus

2. tickets went on sale yesterday morning, the day of the game

3. some folks just wont go if they can't just rock up on the day/night. They don't want to go through the hassle of redeeming tickets. And it is a pain in the butt what people have to do to get a ticket in these COVID times

4. the game last night was not "indoors" as the roof was open - get your facts straight Kane
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
It's pretty ordinary whatever way you look at it
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond

Yep it probably is

But Kane makes it sound like it is only Richmond games where there are poor crowds

All Vic clubs are struggling with getting crowds
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame

No it’s not.
People had a day’s notice to turn up.
Frankly, it’s a crap experience - can’t sit in a bar, have to wear a mask everytime you get up and walk around.
I went but can totally understand why others did not
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders

No it’s not.
Frankly, it’s a crap experience - can’t sit in a bar, have to wear a mask everytime you get up and walk around.
everything you said is right, so why did you go?
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
"Only 9,000 last night, 14,000 last week against the Saints. There's 103,000 Tigers supporters."

Wayne Carey and Tom Browne are disappointed by the Richmond fan turnout.

Watch here: https://twitter.com/7AFL/status/1410893493996826626

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
I'm on Hamilton island.

Asked my dad and brother if they want to go - dad's at Inverloch and my brother works 0700-1700 daily in the CBD and has a kid at home so doing this during the week with a day's notice doesn't really work.

Honestly I'm hanging out for a Saturday arvo game.

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame

No it’s not.
everything you said is right, so why did you go?

Still enjoy the game. Not everyone as crazy as me i guess  :laugh:
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
Do we have a crowd update at the G?

Looks huge
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Do we have a crowd update at the G?

Looks huge
Tonight's attendance is 12,103 #AFLFreoBlues

https://twitter.com/MCG/status/1411296015303331844

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019.2020
Another factor for some fans is cost.

With the threat of Covid now a normal reality a seat must be booked through the ticket company.

For some reason, it is up to $70 on top of your already paid membership and free entry to sit on that seat.
Ok, so you can’t afford to spend $40- $70 or even $30 per seat for you and your three kids and spouse. So you think ok I’ll sit in the bleachers on the cheap seats. No! Those seats aren’t allocated as yet but if you like you can purchase $40 seats from this, this and this area that is currently available.

I’ve got mates that are ordinary members with other Melbourne based clubs and they don’t have a reserve seat. Those club members aren’t having the same issues in getting tickets and they definitely aren’t as expensive as it is for some reason with Richmond games. To obtain a decent seat the other clubs have only a minor fee to purchase a seat to watch the game.

If the club has requested the increase in pricing then it’s our own fault people and especially families, are deciding not to come to games. Its just too bloody expensive and sometimes too difficult to arrange especially if they’ve already forked out the hard earned on a family membership.
The club that keeps giving.

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
We are a working class club. Brendon Gale
And his admin should never forget that.