Author Topic: Future draft talent  (Read 1628 times)

Offline nevefan

• Tiger Rookie
  • For We're From Tigerland
Future draft talent
« on: August 08, 2021, 11:11:06 AM »
I'm just wondering if these lockdowns and the overall impact of covid 19 on kids and sporting competitions across Australia, will result in lower quality players entering the draft.
I know the local kids AFL comp in Brisbane has been impacted by the latest lockdown and I'm not even sure if they'll play finals this year. Kids can't get out to exercise properly or develop their skills.

Could we be looking at poor drafts in 5 to 10 years time.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Future draft talent
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2021, 09:12:54 PM »
It shouldn't affect the kids who have obvious talent. 1-2 years won't make a difference in the long run.

What covid will affect is clubs will be more constrained as far as scouting due to $$$ impact on the game. We've already seen commentary about how some clubs will mostly focus on private schools and their organised comps. This could be a double-edged sword. Reduced scouting makes it harder to find the rough diamonds but it could make it easier for a rough diamond to slip through to a smart club as use to happen 25 years ago. The clubs that see the importance and capacity to still invest strongly in their recruiting will benefit the most.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd