Author Topic: Gary Buckenara's analysis of Richmond's list (HeraldSun)  (Read 1184 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Gary Buckenara's analysis of Richmond's list (HeraldSun)
« on: September 07, 2021, 06:31:29 PM »
Bucky: The trade move that could power Tiger rebound

Write Richmond off at your peril. The list is still packed with A-grade talent, and one savvy deal could make it even stronger. Gary Buckenara rates every Tiger.

LIST NEEDS

Injuries to Nankervis and Soldo exposed the Tigers’ midfield at times this season and they might need to look at bringing in another experienced ruckman, and hopefully some of their development talls can come on.

I think they will continue to look at a balance of attracting free agents and out of contract players as well as investing in younger players to keep the list in good shape.

TRADE TARGETS

I’m not sure the Tigers will be big players in the trade period, and they are likely to head to the draft with an excellent hand — picks 7, 16, 26 and 28.

But an experienced ruckman would be a good option and a player in the mould of Jon Ceglar would be the type of player needed.

He is contracted at the moment at Hawthorn but could be gettable with the club looking to young ruckman Ned Reeves.

TRADE BAIT

I don’t think players will want to move away and I doubt that Richmond will look to offload any players that would get early draft picks, especially in a draft that has been very hard to access watching players around the country live due to Covid.

I expect most of the clubs in the top eight will look to make minimal changes to their list and Richmond, I am sure, will have very few changes.

Josh Caddy is one who seems to have fallen out of favour and could look for opportunities elsewhere.

RATING THE LIST

A-grade: Dylan Grimes, Dustin Martin, Jack Riewoldt, Trent Cotchin, Shane Edwards, Toby Nankervis.

B-grade: Nick Vlastuin, Dion Prestia, Liam Baker, Jason Castagna, David Astbury (retired), Bachar Houli (retired), Jayden Short, Tom Lynch, Kane Lambert, Shai Bolton, Kamdyn McIntosh, Jack Graham, Nathan Broad, Mabior Chol, Marlion Pickett.

C-grade: Patrick Naish (delisted), Jake Aarts, Daniel Rioli, Ivan Soldo, Josh Caddy, Ryan Garthwaite, Derek Eggmolesse-Smith, Matthew Parker.

DEVELOPING

Future AB players: Jack Ross, Noah Balta, Riley Collier-Dawkins, Thomson Dow, Sydney Stack, Hugo Ralphsmith, Maurice Rioli.

Need more time: Rhyan Mansell, Samson Ryan, Will Martyn, Noah Cumberland, Mate Colina, Callum Coleman-Jones, Ben Miller, Bigoa Nyuon.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/gary-buckenara-analyses-the-richmond-list-after-the-2021-season/news-story/fecbff276131af35bd5ab45f3dafedda

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Gary Buckenara's analysis of Richmond's list (HeraldSun)
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2021, 06:33:44 PM »
We need a ruckman?
Serious???
Ceglar would be ranked 4th in our current list.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline Knighter

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2021, 07:08:33 PM »
Vlaustin and Prestia both ranked at the same level as Chol and Cantstandya - LOL.  Buckenara stopped being relevant around 2005.   

Offline pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2021, 08:27:31 PM »
Ceglar from the Hawks.  Is he for real?
These ex list manager types are cringe worthy. 

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2021, 04:32:41 PM »