Author Topic: Can Richmond challenge again in 2022? [merged]  (Read 45319 times)

Offline yandb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Can Richmond challenge again in 2022? [merged]
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2021, 01:28:46 PM »
Ross did a good job playing Cotch's role against Hawthorn as the defensive Midfielder we don't need to give up a good pick to help Hawthorn rebuild.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2021, 03:17:01 PM »
'Richmond have seven picks under 47, they're in an interesting phase. Do they go again or build for the future? With Tarrant coming in, I think they do a bit of both.'

- Matthew Lloyd

https://twitter.com/traderadio/status/1445858648400424966

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2021, 03:36:44 PM »
To answer the question - Dustin Martin.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2021, 05:28:02 PM »
Tigers have ‘no choice’ but to push for a flag NOW... even if it means ‘10 years’ of pain later

Ronny Lerner
Fox Sports
October 7th, 2021 4:07 pm

A pair of star Hawthorn midfielders could be just what Richmond need to win a fourth flag in six years next season, according to former St Kilda and North Melbourne star Nick Dal Santo.

After going back-to-back in 2020, and claiming their third premiership in four seasons, the Tigers became just the third reigning premiers in the past 20 years to miss out on the finals this year.

Injuries to numerous key players played their part in that, and Richmond still have a large core of premiership players on their list heading into next season.

Dal Santo reckons the acquisition of Tom Mitchell and/or Jaeger O’Meara could put them right back in contention for another premiership.

And with five picks in the first two rounds of this year’s draft (7, 15, 26, 28 and 38), Dal Santo thinks Richmond are in a good position to trade in at least one of those players.

“They have no choice but to go (for a flag) again,” Dal Santo told Fox Footy’s Trading Day.

“You can go in there (Hawthorn), knock on (new coach) Sam Mitchell’s door and say, ‘Can we please have one of your really good players?’ I’m thinking Tom Mitchell, I’m thinking O’Meara as well.”

As good as Richmond have been in the past five years, their stoppage work hasn’t been great, and Dal Santo believes that’s where Mitchell and/or O’Meara could step in.

“They (Hawthorn) have got two guys there that are a proven product,” he said.

“They love putting their nose over the football and they love giving it to people on the outside.

“I would not be angry or disappointed if I was a Tigers supporter. I’d say, ‘I get it, we’re going for four premierships in six years, if that means we’re not going to be great or competitive for 10 years, I can cop that’.

“Use one of those picks ... to go one more time.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/teams/richmond-tigers/afl-trade-news-2021-richmond-trade-plans-trading-for-tom-mitchell-or-jaeger-omeara-hawthorn-rebuild-using-draft-picks/news-story/a75f012c3b84aa2d32cd22a3d0e2ea8a

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2021, 06:52:43 PM »
We could end up in the wilderness again and alot longer than 10 years too. Essendon Carlton 2 prime examples. Take to the draft get the kids and do it the right way. Aint no guarantee we win the flag in 22 by bringing in Mitchell or O'Meara.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2021, 07:23:31 PM »
Clubs deluding themselves that they are in contention when they are not and topping up their list at the expense of the draft is a one way trip into a long wilderness. We learnt that the hard way back in the 90s & 00s. Dal Santo clearly didn't learn this lesson despite being at two clubs (St Kilda & North) that made that exact same mistake.

No doubt we'll hope for better luck injury wise in 2022 and try to aim for another flag but it must not come at the expense of our next decade. Hit the pointy end of the draft and make sure we're on the path to rebuilding and contending with a new talented group later this decade. Sustained finals finishes leads to flags not desperate one hit hopes in wonder attempts.

All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2021, 07:24:37 PM »
Absolutely right

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2021, 09:54:59 PM »
What we should be doing is looking at our northern development team to find the next Prestia.

Their salary cap must be bursting by now.
The club that keeps giving.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2021, 11:05:21 PM »
I'd take Anderson, Bowes & Powell.... :shh

"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Online H Tiger

• Premiership Captain
  • Tigers the biggest hunter
« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2021, 02:01:18 AM »
Clubs deluding themselves that they are in contention when they are not and topping up their list at the expense of the draft is a one way trip into a long wilderness.

Agree, if they are deluding themselves. Were we deluding ourselves when we gave up pick six for Prestia? I thought we were at the time. Guess I was wrong in hindsight. We just needed that little bit more ommph and class that Prestia provided (Nank and Caddy did not hurt either), plus growth from our existing youngsters. We topped up rather than 'build' through the draft. Thank heavens we weren't in charge.

Sustained finals finishes leads to flags not desperate one hit hopes in wonder attempts.

No it does not. Geelong has had sustained finals finishes lately (no flag), North Melbourne did (no flag), St Kilda made the finals every year except 2006 from 2004 until 2011. They have still have not won a flag for 55 years.

To win a flag you need the right mix of players, at the right time, and a lot of luck. We have a mix that is pretty close to right for right now, as evidenced by winning 3 out of the last 5 premierships. I believe the RFC owes it to the players currently on the list to make one more big push to win another flag now, not sustain finals finishes. Who feels we had successful years when we were knocked out of the finals in week 1 in 2013, 2014, and 2015?

If we do not make finals for a few years but win the whole thing in 2022 I can live with a few more years in the wilderness.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2021, 03:17:36 AM by H Tiger »

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #40 on: October 08, 2021, 07:33:01 AM »
From Damien Barrett's 'Sliding Doors' column:

IF ...
the Tigers think that without some big name additions they're going back to a Grand Final in 2022 ...

THEN ...
they're kidding themselves. Mind you, I said their 2019 flag chances were cooked the morning after Rance went down in round one that year, so I've been horrendously wrong on a claim about this mob before.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/683205/if-hawthorn-has-been-quiet-in-the-trade-period-then

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #41 on: October 08, 2021, 07:40:39 AM »
Clubs deluding themselves that they are in contention when they are not and topping up their list at the expense of the draft is a one way trip into a long wilderness.

Agree, if they are deluding themselves. Were we deluding ourselves when we gave up pick six for Prestia? I thought we were at the time. Guess I was wrong in hindsight. We just needed that little bit more ommph and class that Prestia provided (Nank and Caddy did not hurt either), plus growth from our existing youngsters. We topped up rather than 'build' through the draft. Thank heavens we weren't in charge.

Sustained finals finishes leads to flags not desperate one hit hopes in wonder attempts.

No it does not. Geelong has had sustained finals finishes lately (no flag), North Melbourne did (no flag), St Kilda made the finals every year except 2006 from 2004 until 2011. They have still have not won a flag for 55 years.

To win a flag you need the right mix of players, at the right time, and a lot of luck. We have a mix that is pretty close to right for right now, as evidenced by winning 3 out of the last 5 premierships. I believe the RFC owes it to the players currently on the list to make one more big push to win another flag now, not sustain finals finishes. Who feels we had successful years when we were knocked out of the finals in week 1 in 2013, 2014, and 2015?

If we do not make finals for a few years but win the whole thing in 2022 I can live with a few more years in the wilderness.

:clapping

Have said it before - I trust the current club management to make the right call.

If they throw the sink at another flag they have my support. But I really don't think we can do it without another solid mid or two, or at least a mid and decent medium forward.

I genuinely don't think the club will be crap for another 37 years again. Much more professionally run now.

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #42 on: October 09, 2021, 07:26:49 AM »
Our biggest issue won’t be going away next year.

Everyone is older and importantly slower. Clearances you would think would import be with soldo.

I just don’t see anyone stepping up with the exception of RCD.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #43 on: October 09, 2021, 10:47:11 AM »
Tarrant is better than Astbury. Hopefully 2 or 3 of our next set of draftees coming up will play games and add depth.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #44 on: October 09, 2021, 06:28:50 PM »
Jordan Lewis says: For me Richmond are clearly identifying they’re still in the window; I think they’re still in the window, they were hampered through the season with injuries. Sometimes there’s a player that comes along that just fits the specific need that you have as a football club and Robbie Tarrant was that player. They’ll be right up to it in their ears, they’re ready to go again, they’re realistic with where they’re at.

Foxfooty.com.au says: Traded in Tarrant for much-needed defensive reinforcement after the retirements of Bachar Houli and David Astbury, but lost promising key-position pair Chol and Coleman-Jones. Armed with arguably the best hand at this year’s draft with four picks inside the top 30, they’re angling for a fifth top-30 selection. Richmond also acquired a future second-round pick from the Kangaroos as part of the Tarrant deal. Salary cap pressure probably means they can’t afford to bring across a much-needed stoppage player like Hawthorn’s Tom Mitchell.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/department-of-trade/afl-trade-news-rumours-whispers-2021-expert-trade-verdict-on-every-club-stars-they-could-still-target/news-story/6d7bffbeae937bf3cf27ffd85d900782