Author Topic: Josh Gibcus [merged]  (Read 45563 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Pick 9: Josh Gibcus
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2021, 05:00:51 AM »
Articles about Gibcus:

Off the charts: The well-travelled draft prospect with a monster vertical leap

COVID-19 disruptions haven't stopped draft prospect Josh Gibcus from rocketing into top-five contention

By Callum Twomey
afl.com.au
Oct 29, 2021

JOSH Gibcus was born in Brisbane and spent the first seven years of his life in Queensland, where he started Auskick and first got his hands on a footy. His family then moved to Perth for his father's work, where he was based for his next seven years, including making the West Australian under-12s state side.

When he was 14, the Gibcus family moved to Ballarat, where the teenager's path to the AFL took shape and where he has developed into one of the leading prospects in this year's NAB AFL Draft and the best key defender available.

Where Gibcus ends up next is most exciting. Early in 2022, his parents are planning to move back to Perth and by then Gibcus will be on an AFL list – somewhere. Be it Sydney, Victoria or Western Australia, the teenager knows his upbringing will hold him in good stead for his next move.

"I don't mind where I go. I've travelled around a fair bit which I think has helped me and I can understand how moving works. I'll just take the opportunity as it comes and whoever picks me on draft night I'll go and give it everything I've got," he told AFL.com.au.

"Moving to new places has meant I've had to adapt and moving to new school meant I have had to make a whole bunch of new friends. It's helped quite a bit looking ahead and if I did have to move at the end of the year it wouldn't be too much of a problem."

Gibcus' rise into top-five considerations begun early this year, with the intercept key defender starting his season in impressive form for the Greater Western Victoria Rebels.

It was recognised and saw him added to the NAB AFL Academy side to take on Geelong's VFL team in April, and although the Academy was trounced, Gibcus showed some of his aerial exploits by backing himself with some strong marks. He is a key defender who attacks: at 196cm he is confident to play off his opponent when he can and also adept at shutting someone down.

"My vertical leap and intercept marking are some of the biggest strengths of my game. Reading the ball is something I've always prided my game on, and I always thought if I could improve on that as much as possible it could become a real weapon for me," he said.

"I model my game off Harris Andrews at Brisbane and Jake Lever at Melbourne. I like that they can read the ball really well and know when they should come off their man, they're both really great intercept markers who don't like to lose."

In another season hit by COVID-19 interruptions, following last year's strikeout in Victoria, Gibcus has worked hard to maintain his edge. He was assigned a running coach who worked with him on his technique and also hit the gym for extra sessions to ensure when he was back on the field he had made the most of his break.

His athleticism was on show at the recent NAB AFL Draft Combine for Vic Country prospects in Bendigo. Gibcus topped the group for the running vertical jump with a leap of 89cm, although circumstances worked against him.

Due to the inclement weather conditions and COVID-19 protocols forcing the testing outside, Gibcus jumped higher than the top of the yardstick device, which couldn't be pushed any taller. He had been aiming for 97cm, having earlier this year jumped 95cm, but clubs were already well aware of his traits.

"I was hoping to go for quite a bit bigger than the 89cm but it wasn't to be," he said.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/686164/off-the-charts-well-travelled-draft-prospect-josh-gibcus-has-a-monster-vertical-leap

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2021, 05:02:47 AM »
‘Ability to jump over small buildings’: Gibcus leaps into top 10 draft reckoning

By Owen Leonard
The Age
November 18, 2021

Defending the modern key forward is no simple task.

Think of the King twins, Harry McKay, Jamarra Ugle-Hagan and even the incoming Sam Darcy.

If not through their height and leap, they often impose themselves with their speed and silk. Clearly, there is a new need to combat the growing contingent of athletically gifted tall forwards. Enter Josh Gibcus.

The likely top-10 pick has cemented his standing as the best key back in the draft, and appears set to forge an AFL career as an athletic, intercept-marking defender who is equally adept at playing shutdown roles.

“My athleticism helps me to play that higher key defender role, as like a centre-half back, roaming around and taking intercept marks but also shutting my opponent down,” Gibcus told The Age.

“My one wood in my game is my ability to come off my player, read the ball and take that big mark, [but] I can play both those roles: peel off and intercept, or a lockdown defender.”

When quizzed on the bevy of young tall forwards making their mark as athletic beasts, Gibcus gave a self-assured response: “I reckon I could match up against those guys.”

David Loader, who coached Gibcus at the Greater Western Victoria Rebels this season, is also confident in the key back’s ability to provide an answer to the modern forward.

“He’s a physical freak, and I say that in the kindest way,” Loader said. “He’s got the ability to jump over small buildings. He’s really quite quick as well, and he’s got good endurance.

“With the changing of the game and some of the young stars that are playing as key forwards in the competition now, they’re not necessarily big, stand and deliver contested beasts, but really athletic talls that mark the ball at the highest point.

“You’re going to need a hell of an athlete to play on these guys, and Josh, he fits that mould pretty well.”

Gibcus has only played as a defender since being successfully trialled in the position in a state under-16 match. He was previously deployed as a forward-ruck.

The 196-centimetre tall commenced his football journey in Brisbane, where he spent most of his childhood.

“I’ve been playing from when I was five years old up in Queensland. From there I really fell in love with the game and everything about it. A team sport that you go out and play with mates, I saw that as my passion,” Gibcus said.

He moved to Perth due of his father’s work, but arrived in Victoria as a 14-year-old to be closer with extended family.

Gibcus recalls relishing the move to the football-mad state. “I really did want to come down here because I’d heard about the strength of football, the vast majority of good players were from Victoria,” he said. “I wanted to test my talent against those sorts of blokes.”

The defender is also confident in his ability to direct teammates, and would have considered becoming a teacher as an alternative to football.

“If it wasn’t for footy, I think I’d go down a teaching pathway,” he said. “I think I have an ability to pass on information to others.”

Football, however, remains a clear priority. When recently questioned by one club on which three items he would save if his house was on fire, his first answer showed his passion: “A footy.”

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/ability-to-jump-over-small-buildings-gibcus-leaps-into-top-10-draft-reckoning-20211118-p599zj.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2021, 05:26:14 AM »
Shifter Sheehan's pre-draft view of Gibcus:

Josh Gibcus

GWV Rebels, NAB League / Eastpoint FC / St. Pat’s College
State: Victoria (Country)
Height: 196cm
Weight: 87kg
Date of Birth: 04/04/03

Developing tall defender who has emerged this year to be included in the Australian U18 Academy team against Geelong (VFL) where he was one of his side’s best. He also showed his skill to be one of Victoria Country under-19s better performers in the NAB AFL Challenge game against Victoria Metro in July. Blessed with an elite vertical jump, his intercept marking and aggressive spoiling are both features of his rapidly developing game. With similar traits as Melbourne’s Jake Lever, he also played 10 matches with the Rebels, averaging 12.5 disposals and 4.4 marks to win selection in the NAB League Team of the Year. Reminded scouts of his athleticism with his impressive NAB AFL Draft Combine performances, including his 95cm running vertical jump, 3.04 seconds for 20 metres, and 6:38 for 2km at Victoria Country testing in Bendigo in September.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/686447/kevin-sheehan-reveals-his-top-nab-afl-draft-prospects-tall-defenders

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2021, 05:35:07 AM »
TIGERS SCORE A ‘STEAL’

After the departures of David Astbury (retired) and Ryan Garthwaite (delisted), the Tigers were looking for a young key defender to partner Dylan Grimes (30 years old) and Robbie Tarrant (32) in the twilight of their careers.

They ticked the box on Wednesday night by using Pick 9 to snare Josh Gibcus – a freak key defensive talent that had interest from as early as the Giants at Pick 2.

Despite midfielder Ben Hobbs still being on the board, Richmond opted to select Gibcus to bolster its key defensive stocks.

Foxfooty.com.au reported minutes prior to the draft the Giants were trying to find a club to trade with and help them move up the draft order – ideally ahead of the Tigers – to snare Gibcus. They identified Fremantle as a potential suitor, but a deal never came to fruition.

That left the Tigers to pick up Gibcus, who has a highlights reel like Hawthorn champion Peter Knights, according to dual premiership Kangaroo David King.

“He’s diligent enough to start with his opponent. But then he just assesses really quickly where it’s likely to fall,” King told Fox Footy.

“Dropping off his man, assessing the ball in flight really early – that’s AFL level already. That’s the classic intercept mark player that we see in the competition right now.

“I think this guy is a steal at this pick. Richmond have got an absolute ripper. We know they’re looking to rebuild in that back half, there’s no doubt they’ve lost some key position talent – Pick 9 is a steal.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/draft/afl-draft-2021-picks-leek-alleer-gws-giants-north-melbourne-trades-matt-johnson-hawthorn/news-story/f7be169783697745f22cec83d3049dab

Offline pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2021, 09:08:49 AM »
TIGERS SCORE A ‘STEAL’

After the departures of David Astbury (retired) and Ryan Garthwaite (delisted), the Tigers were looking for a young key defender to partner Dylan Grimes (30 years old) and Robbie Tarrant (32) in the twilight of their careers.

They ticked the box on Wednesday night by using Pick 9 to snare Josh Gibcus – a freak key defensive talent that had interest from as early as the Giants at Pick 2.

Despite midfielder Ben Hobbs still being on the board, Richmond opted to select Gibcus to bolster its key defensive stocks.

Foxfooty.com.au reported minutes prior to the draft the Giants were trying to find a club to trade with and help them move up the draft order – ideally ahead of the Tigers – to snare Gibcus. They identified Fremantle as a potential suitor, but a deal never came to fruition.

That left the Tigers to pick up Gibcus, who has a highlights reel like Hawthorn champion Peter Knights, according to dual premiership Kangaroo David King.

“He’s diligent enough to start with his opponent. But then he just assesses really quickly where it’s likely to fall,” King told Fox Footy.

“Dropping off his man, assessing the ball in flight really early – that’s AFL level already. That’s the classic intercept mark player that we see in the competition right now.

“I think this guy is a steal at this pick. Richmond have got an absolute ripper. We know they’re looking to rebuild in that back half, there’s no doubt they’ve lost some key position talent – Pick 9 is a steal.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/draft/afl-draft-2021-picks-leek-alleer-gws-giants-north-melbourne-trades-matt-johnson-hawthorn/news-story/f7be169783697745f22cec83d3049dab

Interesting, Giants probably should have taken him at 2. 

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2021, 03:18:04 PM »
RICHMOND DRAFTEE THE “PICK OF THE TOP 10”, SAYS KING

By Andrew Slevison
SEN
25 November 2021

Josh Gibcus could be a draft “steal” for Richmond, according to David King.

The Tigers selected the GWV Rebels and Vic Country product with pick 9 on the first night of the AFL Draft on Wednesday.

While most phantom drafts had Gibcus going inside the top 10, King feels he is great value at 9 given his attributes as a high-marking intercept defender.

The two-time North Melbourne premiership player had the draft’s standout key backman going much higher and believes the Tigers could have a “special” player on their hands.

“We did a little exercise where we had to rank them ourselves,” King said on SEN Breakfast.

“I’ve crammed, I don’t see these kids during the year, but then watch all the vision that’s available to try and build a profile of what they look like and what their attributes are.

“I had him at four. I had him behind (Jason) Horne-Francis, (Nick) Daicos and Sam Darcy.”

Co-host Sam Edmund chimed in: “You said he had a highlights reel like Peter Knights!”

King added: “He’s a classic aerialist in terms of the way he flies for intercept marks.

“He starts next to his man, but then he goes for the football. That’s what you want.

“It’s very difficult to get young players to think like that. When they do, and they’ve got the capabilities in the air to match, you end up with a pretty special player.

“I said it was a steal last night at pick nine. I think it’s almost the pick of the top 10 at that value.”

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2021/11/24/richmond-draftee-the-pick-of-the-top-10-says-king/

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2021, 03:37:15 PM »
Tiger draft bargain’s ominous warning to competition

Josh Gibcus has issued a warning to his future opponents and the Tiger Army.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/draft/afl-draft-2021-all-the-reaction-and-interviews-from-draftees/news-story/bd6b500dbd35af40bdcc763bd28c4d03

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tiger bargain Josh Gibcus' warning to competition (HeraldSun)
« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2021, 02:42:41 AM »
TIGER BARGAIN’S WARNING TO COMPETITION

HeraldSun
26 November 2021

Josh Gibcus has issued an ominous warning for the Tiger Army and the new-age key-forward monsters of the competition.

“Watch out guys, I’ll take down any player,” Gibcus told the Herald Sun moments after being drafted.

The high-leaping key-defender also wants to propel Richmond to its next premiership.

This confidence isn’t for show.

Gibcus, who became a Tiger with the ninth selection in the AFL Draft, walks the talk on the field.

And he is up for any challenge, highlighted by his shut-down job on the leading key-forward in the draft, Western Bulldogs father-son and No. 2 selection Sam Darcy.

Coming off a dominant six-goal haul in a Victorian trial which saw him rocket up draft boards, the red-hot Darcy was restricted to six disposals and two goals by Gibcus in the Under-19 Victorian Challenge clash in July.

The 197cm draftee attacks the ball in the air like his life depends on it, resembling All-Australian Demon Jake Lever in the NAB League for the Greater Western Victoria Rebels this season with his intercept marking prowess, remarkable spring, and speed off the mark.

The traits that can stop athletic goalkicking machines Harry McKay, Ben King and Max King in the future.

The East Point product led the NAB League for intercept marks and intercept possessions and shapes as an exciting replacement for retired three-time premiership Tiger David Astbury, another graduate from the Rebels program.

A Brisbane supporter after living in Queensland during his early life, Gibcus has kept a watchful eye on the Tigers, with members of his family following the club.

While key-position players generally take time to develop, the St Patrick’s College graduate is eager to help the Tigers win their next flag.

“I’ve been following them for quite a bit … got to watch them win a couple of flags and hopefully when I get there, I can help them win a flag,” he said.

“I have had a dream to be in the AFL since about five years old when I started Auskick up in Queensland, and honestly just to be called out tonight by Richmond at pick nine … I’m stoked.

“I’m an athletic key-defender, I’m pretty much an intercept marking defender. I’ll bring my vertical leap, my marking ability and my ability to read the play.”

Considered by Greater Western Sydney and Gold Coast with its early selections, Gibcus looms as a value pick-up for the Tigers.

Rebels coach David Loader said Gibcus is the modern prototype key defender.

“He’s the new-age defender. If you look forward to what the gun up and coming forwards of the competition are like – Harry McKay, the two King boys, we are looking at guys who are 200cm but incredibly athletic,” Loader explained.

“He’s 197cm, he’s quick, he’s got good endurance, he’s quite agile and he’s got a massive leap. He is the perfect prototype to play on the up and coming gun forwards of the competition.

“Athletically, Josh is really, really gifted and a super exciting player.”

Source: HeraldSun

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2021, 05:43:01 AM »
Leigh Montagna says: “There’s a little birdie saying maybe Richmond are flirting with Gibcus as a forward. We know they didn’t take a tall forward in this draft and we know Tom Lynch and Jack Riewoldt are closer to the end than the start of their careers and they’ve lost Coleman-Jones and Mabior Chol. Maybe keep an eye over the pre-season on whether Gibcus trains with the forwards. We know he can be an elite intercept defender if need be and can always go back in time, but they’ve got Noah Balta and while they’ve still got Grimes and a few others maybe they can experiment with him forward.

Kevin Sheehan says: “I haven’t seen Gibcus forward but he’s a wonderful athlete and a coachable athlete. We’ve seen so much of that over time where we think they’re such and such but they change as they get into the professional era with the clubs.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/draft/afl-draft-2021-every-clubs-picks-expert-analysis-josh-gibcus-richmond-flynn-kroeger-geelong-review-of-all-selections/news-story/5b8c4706ef6367fe29cbc827dfda8b0b

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2021, 10:42:30 AM »
I was wondering....
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2021, 11:28:12 AM »
If the club thinks Miller and Biggie can be serviceable backmen alongside Balta, then Gibcus forward would make sense.

Still think JVR at 17 over Brown was a good idea myself.

Online tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2021, 12:26:48 PM »
 I'm glad they used their pick on a defender. KPDs take forever to build, look at Rance, Astbury and Grimes. All took 5 years minimum. Sets us up for 5 years time to have a decent backline after much of the current lot retire. Still we have 2 or 3 more draft years to set up the next group. Also I really like they pick talent and put it in the backline. All premierships are won with great defenders.

Offline JP Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #43 on: November 27, 2021, 12:59:24 PM »
Forwards can win games, defenders win premierships!      :thumbsup
Once a Tiger, always a Tiger!  Loud, proud & dangerous!

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #44 on: November 27, 2021, 01:45:52 PM »
I think we should have taken Bazzo as well. Should have opened up one more list spot and taken Bazzo especially if Gibcus goes forward.