Author Topic: Tom Brown [merged]  (Read 16595 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Pick 17: Tom Brown
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2021, 05:19:48 AM »
Q&A: Tom Brown (Murray Bushrangers/Vic Country)

Michael Alvaro
afldraftcentral.com.au
May 18, 2020

In a special Question and Answer (Q&A) feature, Draft Central‘s Michael Alvaro chatted with Murray Bushrangers’ Tom Brown at the NAB League Fitness Testing Day hosted by Rookie Me.

The Mooroopna junior impressed both in the V/Line cup for Murray and Under 16 National Championships for Vic Country, showcasing terrific smarts around goal and clean movement from half-forward. The 184cm prospect also possesses great agility, and proved as much with a 8.10-second time at pre-season testing.

With promising athletic traits and the experience of running out in the Under 18 NAB League competition already under his belt, Brown looks set to have an impact in his bottom-age year – should competition get underway. In developing his inside game, Brown may also feature further afield as he develops.

Q&A

Which are some of the tests you see yourself excelling in at the moment?

TB: “I think the agility is probably my best test.”

Do you think that transfers to your talent on the field?

“Yeah I reckon it does. “I reckon it shows that I can duck and weave in packs and at the contest I can get away from my opponent easier.”

Are you looking to lock down a specific role this year, perhaps in the forward half?

“I’m looking to just move around and find somewhere else maybe to play. “I love the forward line but don’t know how long I’ll be able to last there.”

What are some of the things you’re looking to develop in your game at the moment?

“I’m really just looking to develop my contested ball. “I think I need to work on that and also just running, running patterns and stuff like that.”

https://central.rookieme.com/afl/2020/05/18/qa-tom-brown-murray-bushrangers-vic-country/

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2021, 05:27:34 AM »
Shifter Sheehan's pre-draft view of Brown:

Tom Brown

Murray Bushrangers, NAB League / Mooroopna FC / Geelong Grammar
State: Victoria Country
Height: 186cm
Weight: 77kg
Date of Birth: 30/07/03

A line-breaking defender who loves to take the game on and step past the opposition using his elite agility. Composed and a great decision maker he can also go forward and impact the game. His father Paul played 84 games for Geelong but it wasn’t enough to qualify as a father-son so he’s eligible in the open 2021 NAB AFL Draft. Represented Victoria Country at under-19s level against Victoria Metro in 2021 and was among his team’s best as well as playing five matches for the Bushrangers, averaging 16.8 disposals at an impressive 75 per cent efficiency as he mixed his football between the Bushies and Geelong Grammar. Showed his speed over 20 metres with the second best time of 2.98 seconds at the Draft Combine for Victoria Country.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/685342/kevin-sheehan-reveals-his-top-nab-afl-draft-prospects-medium-defenders

Offline taztiger4

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Shovelheads - Keeping hipsters off Harley's
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2021, 07:22:02 AM »
We needed a midfielder with this pick. We have problems in our midfield and our recruiters have overlooked it.

rubbish, you have fallen for the big bodied midfielder hype

What's RCD & Jack Ross ?, Will Martyn ?, remember we get Soldo back for 2022

We need defensive talls & got the best one & we need a Houli replacement & bingo bango , we got one

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2021, 07:31:39 AM »
We needed a midfielder with this pick. We have problems in our midfield and our recruiters have overlooked it.

We need defensive talls & got the best one & we need a Houli replacement & bingo bango , we got one

Whats RCD - A young man with talent who hasnt shown it yet
Whats Jack Ross - So far an ordinary player is my answer
And
Will Martyn - lol ... yeah we saw how good he was when he played. Im 51 and runs quicker thsn Will. Couldnt run out of sight on a dark night from what I saw and he got caught so many times... absolutely no game awareness at this stage.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2021, 07:48:56 AM by Rampsation »

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2021, 07:50:40 AM »
Here's a red flag for ya
IMPROVEMENTS:

- Contested work
- Strength

In our backline? Sounds like a taller Naish.

Some advice- go and watch the kid play footy in the VFL next year and watch for yourself. Actually, don't bother as you've made you mind up which is sad...

No I haven't, I just don't think a medium defender should have been a target for us with a first round pick when we have serious concerns in the midfield and forward line.

RCD has shown a little bit. Ross not much. Martyn nothing. Prestia hardly gets on the park. Cotchin too, and is old as. Edwards not getting younger, nor Lambert. Dusty and Bolton needed in the forward line.

Other than Graham was promising young mids do we have? Baker?

Half back we have Vlastuin for several years still. Broad can play medium. All of Mansell, Rioli and Short play there too.

I just think we had bigger priorities and I think this pick surprised everyone.

Offline taztiger4

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2021, 07:54:23 AM »

And
Will Martyn - lol ... yeah we saw how good he was when he played. Im 51 and runs quicker thsn Will. Couldnt run out of sight on a dark night from what I saw and he got caught so many times... absolutely no game awareness at this stage.

Hahahah, & an 18yo with 1 game in the VFL (Hobbs) would be the messiah

Offline taztiger4

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2021, 07:55:20 AM »
Kudos to Knighter who said Fahey @ 17 & if matched we would go Tom Brown

Offline yandb

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2021, 09:18:17 AM »
Here's a red flag for ya
IMPROVEMENTS:

- Contested work
- Strength

Some advice- go and watch the kid play footy in the VFL next year and watch for yourself. Actually, don't bother as you've made you mind up which is sad...

I am only going off the Bio and we have had poor results with out outside selections.

That is why I qualified it with trusting our panel as maybe they see something in him that others haven't.

I hope he quells my doubts and goes on to become a 200 game player.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2021, 01:49:55 PM by WilliamPowell »

Offline OneEyedRichmond

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2021, 09:45:34 AM »

And

🤡

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2021, 10:08:06 AM »

And

Hobbs is slow as well. I didnt want him euther. Slow players rarely make it at afl level. I also have a rule if a kid cries aftet being selected they dont make it ie. Corey Ellis and 2nd Richmond should never pick players with hyphenated names cos 95% of them turn out to be duds.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2021, 10:27:47 AM by Rampsation »

Online MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #40 on: November 25, 2021, 10:48:24 AM »

And

Hobbs is slow as well. I didnt want him euther. Slow players rarely make it at afl level. I also have a rule if a kid cries aftet being selected they dont make it ie. Corey Ellis and 2nd Richmond should never pick players with hyphenated names cos 95% of them turn out to be duds.

Coleman-Jones
Eggmolese -Smith

Offline FooffooValve

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #41 on: November 25, 2021, 10:52:16 AM »
Here's a red flag for ya
IMPROVEMENTS:

- Contested work
- Strength

No I haven't, I just don't think a medium defender should have been a target for us with a first round pick when we have serious concerns in the midfield and forward line.

RCD has shown a little bit. Ross not much. Martyn nothing. Prestia hardly gets on the park. Cotchin too, and is old as. Edwards not getting younger, nor Lambert. Dusty and Bolton needed in the forward line.

Half back we have Vlastuin for several years still. Broad can play medium. All of Mansell, Rioli and Short play there too.

Really what you are saying is we should have drafted a mid because you don't rate our current young mids.

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #42 on: November 25, 2021, 01:49:15 PM »
Here's a red flag for ya
IMPROVEMENTS:

- Contested work
- Strength

Areal worry and when you think about the severe needs we overlooked here with great options available.
Claw, personally thought Hobbs was a better call ….?

People really can not blame others for voicing concern over our greatest needs being ignored.

Okay another tall defender was a need but it was nowhere near as severe a need for tall fwds.

Just look at the situation

Tall defenders - Tarrant 32, Balta 22, Grimes 30, Miller 22,Nyuon 20 and now Gibcus.

It really was an area that could wait another season if need, be but the likes of Miller and Nyuon and the age of Tarrant and Grimes   make it a need still..
We obviously rated Gibcus very highly and id say he was the best rated player on our list at 9. Personally i wanted Erasmus or Hobbs here. I have wanted Erasmus from a long way out. He went next pick and Hobbs who would have addressed our ability win ball went at 13 both must have been in the area for us.

Compare that to our KEY FORWARD SITUATION.

Riewoldt 33 and most likely in his last year
Lynch 29 and he has had his share of injury concerns. I worry about his longevity in this.

Why do supporters just keep on ignoring this.

JVR was available and Melbourne took him just two picks later. he like Erasmus was very much about where we could have taken him.
Fmd JVR  was clearly the bigger need by a huge margin but again i can only surmise the club went by their list of ratings at this pick its one i dont agree with and i really do hope they have got it right.

And if people think being belted at clearance and contested possesion every weak is okay then good on em. If people think we don't need mids going fwd and we don't need to improve contested and clearance ball then they just are kidding themselves.

The state of our mids. VETS 29 plus 

Edwards 33 - light bodied small mid with great hands inside and evasiveness. cmon people he is close to retirement. Imo we have his replacement in Bolton. The injuries are starting as well, he has  missed a lot of footy the last two seasons. He is one of the better clearance and contested players we have and he is 33.

Cotchin 31 - will be 32 a week into the season. While his role has changed a bit he remains one of our better clearance  and contested ball winners
In recent years the last three he has begun to miss significant amounts of footy. Surely we are looking for his replacement time seems to be catching up fast.

Martin 30 - He aint getting any younger  imo its unfair to expect him to get better and more likely he will gradually decline as father time catches up. Also will more likely in the back end of his career spend more time fwd. He is another who we rely on to win his share of contested ball and clearances.

Lambert 30 - Missed a lot of footy this year is it a sign of the years creeping up? He is a runner for us,  basically not a big clearance player and wins enough contested ball to not make him too outside.

Pickett 30 - Is not a huge possesion winner or clearance player and is not a huge contested ball winner either.

Caddy 29 - Hmm imo lucky to be on the list. Has not been a big possession winner for us with few clearances and not a lot of contested ball. has played only 17 games in two seasons.

Prestia 29 - In his 11 seasons he has managed just three where he has played every game. He has consistently had injuries and we only got nine out of him last year and nine this year. Imo our best inside player and hes hardly on the park.When hes not there we lose so much contested ability and clearances.With the injuries you would think the club would not be thinking he is going to play too far into his thirties.

Thats a list of our vets and outside of Bolton and maybe Graham not one of the remaining mids we have looks like they will get anywhere near some the above ATM.

MATURE MIDS 25 to 28

McIntosh 27 - 28 in early april. Just a very  average player with poor touch and footskills and we play him on a wing. Have always maintained we can and should do better than him. He is the only Mature mid we have.

DEVELOPING MIDS 22 -24

Graham 24 - He to date has not been a big possession winner he wins few clearances and his contested ball winning has been just  okay.To my way of thinking he is not going to dominate contested ball and clearances and the stats back this up to date.

Baker 24 - Has played more as a defender for us.  This year played a lot more as a mid and showed he can get a bit of ball and win a bit of contested ball and play thru the midfield. to date has shown he is not a clearance player. Hate to be critical of this player because i love his tenacity asking him to compete inside with his size is just unfair. Imo not the answer to our inside problems imo.

Bolton 23 - Has tracked along nicely. He  has transitioned from primarily a fwd to primarily a mid who spends a bit of time fwd.
The last two seasons his clearance work has lifted to a good level and he has started to win enough contested ball.
At 175cm and not a big nuggety frame like say Prestia  we are not expecting him to be a bash crash inside player.As mentioned before i think he is our new Edwards type of mid without the superb hands.

Collier - Dawkins 22 - Imo his overall body of work has been underwhelming. He shows glimpses like just about every kid who gets drafted does at 22 i am not depending on him to become a top notch mid and im planning the list that way.Where are we at idf he actually doesn't make it? We cannot ignore that question forever. We will know this year i suppose.

Thats 4 developing players.  that is juniors we have considered deserve more development and we think they are or will become decent at worst.

JUNIOR MIDS 18 -21

Ross 21 - Just 21 but in year four now. People may not agree but he showed more three years ago than he does nowBig concerns about him and he just has not come on imo. Gotta ask is he an answer going fwd and if so im asking to what level will he achieve.

Then there is Dow Martyn and Ralphsmith all 20YO.
Well hugo should be a future winger for us. Dow is he a clearance contested ball player im not sure. i think he is a skilled player who can get a bit of ball and win a clearance here and there.
Martyn not shown much in the two games he took the field in. god knows what he will become a few knocks on his pace from some but if he can win a lot of inside ball and get to a lot of contests im not overly worried about his pace. I just dont picture him becoming a top end inside  afl player hopefully a servicable player.  What we are lacking with the big question marks surrounding RC-D and Ross are elite inside ball winning and clearance players.For me with the many vets with age and longevity  its just too few and questionable eggs surrounding quality  inside players on the list and it bit us hard last year.

For what it is worth based on GREATEST LIST NEEDS imo we should have gone Hobbs at 9 although my preference was Erasmus and JVR again based on greatest need at 17.

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #43 on: November 25, 2021, 01:55:38 PM »
Here's a red flag for ya
IMPROVEMENTS:

- Contested work
- Strength

100% Agree with this. Not having a go at the kids we have taken but if it is list needs we are talking about we have ignored our biggest two.

If you take out 23 yo Bolton then our next 5 best mids are all 29 plus years and we also have Caddy in that group along with Pickett at 30 years.

I sort of think that we have plenty of numbers in mids  but below the age of 29 we dont have a lot of quality and few  coming thru that will fix midfield problems.

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #44 on: November 25, 2021, 02:08:34 PM »
Here's a red flag for ya
IMPROVEMENTS:

- Contested work
- Strength

Areal worry and when you think about the severe needs we overlooked here with great options available.
Claw, personally thought Hobbs was a better call ….?

People really can not blame others for voicing concern over our greatest needs being ignored.

Okay another tall defender was a need but it was nowhere near as severe a need for tall fwds.

Just look at the situation

Tall defenders - Tarrant 32, Balta 22, Grimes 30, Miller 22,Nyuon 20 and now Gibcus.

It really was an area that could wait another season if need, be but the likes of Miller and Nyuon and the age of Tarrant and Grimes   make it a need still..
We obviously rated Gibcus very highly and id say he was the best rated player on our list at 9. Personally i wanted Erasmus or Hobbs here. I have wanted Erasmus from a long way out. He went next pick and Hobbs who would have addressed our ability win ball went at 13 both must have been in the area for us.

Compare that to our KEY FORWARD SITUATION.

Riewoldt 33 and most likely in his last year
Lynch 29 and he has had his share of injury concerns. I worry about his longevity in this.

Why do supporters just keep on ignoring this.

JVR was available and Melbourne took him just two picks later. he like Erasmus was very much about where we could have taken him.
Fmd JVR  was clearly the bigger need by a huge margin but again i can only surmise the club went by their list of ratings at this pick its one i dont agree with and i really do hope they have got it right.

And if people think being belted at clearance and contested possesion every weak is okay then good on em. If people think we don't need mids going fwd and we don't need to improve contested and clearance ball then they just are kidding themselves.

The state of our mids. VETS 29 plus 

Edwards 33 - light bodied small mid with great hands inside and evasiveness. cmon people he is close to retirement. Imo we have his replacement in Bolton. The injuries are starting as well, he has  missed a lot of footy the last two seasons. He is one of the better clearance and contested players we have and he is 33.

Cotchin 31 - will be 32 a week into the season. While his role has changed a bit he remains one of our better clearance  and contested ball winners
In recent years the last three he has begun to miss significant amounts of footy. Surely we are looking for his replacement time seems to be catching up fast.

Martin 30 - He aint getting any younger  imo its unfair to expect him to get better and more likely he will gradually decline as father time catches up. Also will more likely in the back end of his career spend more time fwd. He is another who we rely on to win his share of contested ball and clearances.

Lambert 30 - Missed a lot of footy this year is it a sign of the years creeping up? He is a runner for us,  basically not a big clearance player and wins enough contested ball to not make him too outside.

Pickett 30 - Is not a huge possesion winner or clearance player and is not a huge contested ball winner either.

Caddy 29 - Hmm imo lucky to be on the list. Has not been a big possession winner for us with few clearances and not a lot of contested ball. has played only 17 games in two seasons.

Prestia 29 - In his 11 seasons he has managed just three where he has played every game. He has consistently had injuries and we only got nine out of him last year and nine this year. Imo our best inside player and hes hardly on the park.When hes not there we lose so much contested ability and clearances.With the injuries you would think the club would not be thinking he is going to play too far into his thirties.

Thats a list of our vets and outside of Bolton and maybe Graham not one of the remaining mids we have looks like they will get anywhere near some the above ATM.

MATURE MIDS 25 to 28

McIntosh 27 - 28 in early april. Just a very  average player with poor touch and footskills and we play him on a wing. Have always maintained we can and should do better than him. He is the only Mature mid we have.

DEVELOPING MIDS 22 -24

Graham 24 - He to date has not been a big possession winner he wins few clearances and his contested ball winning has been just  okay.To my way of thinking he is not going to dominate contested ball and clearances and the stats back this up to date.

Baker 24 - Has played more as a defender for us.  This year played a lot more as a mid and showed he can get a bit of ball and win a bit of contested ball and play thru the midfield. to date has shown he is not a clearance player. Hate to be critical of this player because i love his tenacity asking him to compete inside with his size is just unfair. Imo not the answer to our inside problems imo.

Bolton 23 - Has tracked along nicely. He  has transitioned from primarily a fwd to primarily a mid who spends a bit of time fwd.
The last two seasons his clearance work has lifted to a good level and he has started to win enough contested ball.
At 175cm and not a big nuggety frame like say Prestia  we are not expecting him to be a bash crash inside player.As mentioned before i think he is our new Edwards type of mid without the superb hands.

Collier - Dawkins 22 - Imo his overall body of work has been underwhelming. He shows glimpses like just about every kid who gets drafted does at 22 i am not depending on him to become a top notch mid and im planning the list that way.Where are we at idf he actually doesn't make it? We cannot ignore that question forever. We will know this year i suppose.

Thats 4 developing players.  that is juniors we have considered deserve more development and we think they are or will become decent at worst.

JUNIOR MIDS 18 -21

Ross 21 - Just 21 but in year four now. People may not agree but he showed more three years ago than he does nowBig concerns about him and he just has not come on imo. Gotta ask is he an answer going fwd and if so im asking to what level will he achieve.

Then there is Dow Martyn and Ralphsmith all 20YO.
Well hugo should be a future winger for us. Dow is he a clearance contested ball player im not sure. i think he is a skilled player who can get a bit of ball and win a clearance here and there.
Martyn not shown much in the two games he took the field in. god knows what he will become a few knocks on his pace from some but if he can win a lot of inside ball and get to a lot of contests im not overly worried about his pace. I just dont picture him becoming a top end inside  afl player hopefully a servicable player.  What we are lacking with the big question marks surrounding RC-D and Ross are elite inside ball winning and clearance players.For me with the many vets with age and longevity  its just too few and questionable eggs surrounding quality  inside players on the list and it bit us hard last year.

For what it is worth based on GREATEST LIST NEEDS imo we should have gone Hobbs at 9 although my preference was Erasmus and JVR again based on greatest need at 17.

First of all there a no guarantees on Miller or Biggie and Balta is our only up and coming defender so it is a issue mate don't know we're your going there.

JVR wasn't a top 10 pick fullstop as you say go best available.This is a midfielders draft we still got 3 quality picks to come and can grab a forward 2 so how about you let the draft play out.