Author Topic: AFLW R5: Richmond vs W.Bulldogs @ Whitten Oval  (Read 3471 times)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: AFLW R5: Richmond vs W.Bulldogs @ Whitten Oval
« Reply #45 on: February 06, 2022, 06:20:37 PM »
Glad I was on the road and missed it

What is showing though is our lack of depth
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #46 on: February 06, 2022, 06:24:34 PM »
Coach Ferguson post-match media conference:

WATCH: https://www.richmondfc.com.au/video/1056025/aflw-r5-ferguson-post-match?videoId=1056025&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1644123432001

------------------------------------------------------

* Missed opportunities locking the ball inside 50 and so get ascendancy in the game. We're not getting enough inside 50s with the ball rebounding out of our forward line too easily. So we will need to work on that.

* Also missed chances. Not sitters but if you pop a couple through it builds momentum.

* The challenge in this comp is we've got lots of teams like us who are trying to beat each other. Gold Coast, Geelong, West Coast and probably the Bulldogs and Carlton are a rung above that all trying to get into the top six and we're trying to be competitive with the top six. On any day we can be competitive with anyone and we can beat anyone. But obviously in our development with where we are at, we've got to work hard for every goal and every win. We're half way through the season and are still more than alive. We're throw the magnets around and give others opportunities. Just because it was tough today doesn't mean there isn't some exciting footy to come.

* Not our objective to please the fans so much but we back our brand in. We want to get both phases of the game ... all three phases in fact ... we think we can defend in a manner that's exciting to watching and puts pressure on. We think we can use our numbers and running game to (1) it's good to play that way and try and score ... the Bulldogs were good at stifling that today. We couldn't get our game up and running. There's a combination of both worlds. It's about us doing our thing and not pleasing other people but hopefully by doing our thing is good to watch. Today is a tougher day but hopefully in the future our brand will stack up and be good to watch.   

* Burchell knee injury - we're worried. We'll know once she gets scanned tomorrow. Hope for the best and that it's something else (not an ACL).

* Ankle injuries (Dempsey & McClelland) - not sure. A wait and see if they are run of the mill ones or more serious.

* Injury toll?  In the past we've done some things which have helped: gymnastics, building core strength, etc. But there's still an element of luck.

* A positive to get McKenzie through the game. She showed some glimpses of her explosive best. Usually your first game is a practice match and most people blow up. Good to get her out there and bang some bodies.

* Tough in the last quarter with no rotations. After we lost three we were plugging holes. Tough and frustrating when we wanted to come home with a wet sail. They (our players) fought it out really well. Proud of their last quarter. They really dug in.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #47 on: February 06, 2022, 07:44:54 PM »
We are being shown up for our lack of depth

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #48 on: February 06, 2022, 10:18:31 PM »
Is there enough depth
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #49 on: February 07, 2022, 06:47:10 PM »
Coaches votes

Western Bulldogs v Richmond

10 Kirsty Lamb (WB)
8 Ellie Blackburn (WB)
5 Bonnie Toogood (WB)
5 Monique Conti (RICH)
1 Katie Lynch (WB)
1 Jess Hosking (RICH)

Leaderboard

37 Hayley Miller FRE
37 Ashleigh Riddell NMFC
35 Anne Hatchard ADEL
29 Emily Bates BL
29 Monique Conti RICH

https://www.womens.afl/news/84189/aflca-votes-r5-five-players-nab-perfect-votes-tie-at-the-top

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #50 on: February 08, 2022, 03:26:50 PM »
Hannah Burchell (ruptured ACL) and Laura McClelland (ankle syndesmosis) will miss the remainder of the 2022 AFLW season

We're all behind you, Burch and L-Mac

https://twitter.com/RichmondWomens/status/1490890925832548352

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #51 on: February 08, 2022, 04:33:02 PM »
'It was a bit of a weird one': Tiger star's unusual injury revealed

Sarah Black
womens.afl
8 February 2022

FORMER No.1 pick Ellie McKenzie has revealed the nature of her unique calf injury for the first time.

Speaking to womens.afl, the Richmond midfielder said she required an operation on extra calf muscle that had grown around her Achilles and into her foot.

"It was a bit of a weird one. I had a bit of extra muscle in my calf, it was causing me some complaints last year," McKenzie said.

"We had some scans and had a look around to see what was going on, and it turns out I had extra soleus muscle in my calf that we went and removed and started that rehab journey from there.

"I had that surgery in August. It was a long rehab process and something that we don't see often as athletes. I was learning on the job, and so was the medical staff, but I think we handled it pretty well with a really good plan moving forward, and we were lucky we were able to move that goal forward and actually return a bit earlier than expected."

The extensive recuperation sidelined McKenzie for the first four rounds of the season, with the Tiger recording nine disposals, three tackles and a behind on her return against the Western Bulldogs, playing limited minutes.

The Tigers lost to the Bulldogs by 17 points, with the loss further soured with season-ending injuries sustained by Hannah Burchell (ACL) and Laura McClelland (ankle syndesmosis), while the extent of Kate Dempsey's ankle injury will be assessed during the week.

Richmond's Ellie McKenzie is tackled by the Western Bulldogs' Katie Lynch during round five, 2022. Picture: AFL Photos
It was the Dogs' first win for the season, beating Richmond in the contested ball (112-87) and total disposals (244-183).

"The message (from coach Ryan Ferguson) was we kept our fight up. We ended up having one rotation, so we really kept fighting. Even though the going was getting tough, we just kept at it, and I think that was a strong message going forward.

"We won in clearances (by one), so that was a positive, but around the ground and that contested possession work, I think we lacked a bit, so I think we'll go ahead at training and work on that physical side of things."

https://www.womens.afl/news/84208?_ga=2.246962509.875497630.1644034822-224749430.1603381344

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #52 on: February 09, 2022, 12:00:11 AM »
AFLW Ladder after Round 5

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #53 on: February 09, 2022, 12:02:11 AM »
AFLW Physical Performance Manager, Matt Parker provides Richmond Media with the latest injury report.

Hannah Burchell, knee

"Really disappointing for Hannah. She sustained that injury in quarter three on the weekend. It's devastating for her but we know and she knows she's got so much support here at the Club for her and we'll commence that rehab journey as soon as we can."

Laura McClelland, ankle

"Laura, unfortunately, was in a tackling incident in quarter two on the weekend, and unfortunately scans revealed a syndesmosis injury, which is going to rule her out for the season as well. It's devastating for her and she's put a huge amount of work in over the course of the pre-season and season, and we'll wrap our arms around her and support her."

Courtney Wakefield, shoulder

"'Court' sustained a dislocated shoulder in Round 2. We've had further scans and we're continuing to assess her situation, and we're still working through what that will look like for her."

Ellie McKenzie and Poppy Kelly's returns from injury

"It was so pleasing to see both Ellie and Poppy back. Both of them had put a huge amount of work in, Poppy from that Round 1 game and then Ellie over a longer period of time. They worked their way into the game, no doubt they blew out some cobwebs but they'll be much better for the run and we're looking forward to seeing how they work into the rest of the season."

Christina Bernardi, knee soreness

"'Benno' has just been managing a little bit of ongoing knee soreness, and we just felt it was going to be best for her to take that week and hopefully rejuvenate, and we can expect her to potentially be available for this week. She'll still going to be a test to train this week to be available but we're hopeful."

Ingrid Houtsma, calf

"Ingrid had a very minor calf complaint off the back of last week. It's something that we've dealt with really quickly and hopefully managed fairly well. So, she's a chance to be available this week depedning on how she goes through the training week.

https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/1056948/

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #54 on: February 09, 2022, 11:54:54 AM »
managed to finally watch the game on replay

i know we got to have female commentators because its aflw but ffs can they get the names of the players right, persistent incorrect calling of players annoyed the poo out of me, anyone with a blonde pony tail was katie brennan all day

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #55 on: February 09, 2022, 12:02:40 PM »
Just when I thought our team and the league were on the up this is what's dished out.

I legit think women's grounds should be smaller and with less players. There's not enough talent to fill half the league at the moment and it's not for want of trying let's be clear they give 100%. Quality just ain't there yet.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #56 on: February 09, 2022, 04:15:08 PM »
Just when I thought our team and the league were on the up this is what's dished out.

I legit think women's grounds should be smaller and with less players. There's not enough talent to fill half the league at the moment and it's not for want of trying let's be clear they give 100%. Quality just ain't there yet.

AFLW games already have less players on the ground than men's games so not sure less players is an option

Wait until next season when the final teams come in to make it an 18 team comp. The talent pool will not cope
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #57 on: February 11, 2022, 05:41:19 PM »