Author Topic: Damien Hardwick on Tigers 2022 resurgence​ (HeraldSun interview)  (Read 936 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Exclusive: Damien Hardwick on Tigers 2022 resurgence​

In an exclusive interview, Richmond coach Damien Hardwick has revealed all, opening up on his marriage, missing the finals and how he plans to bounce back.

Scott Gullan
HeraldSun
14 February 2022

Damien Hardwick has conceded he “wasn’t at his best” throughout 2021 as he dealt with a marriage breakdown and the Tigers’ dramatic form slump.

The three-time Richmond premiership coach has revealed the backing of his players helped him through the toughest year of his coaching career.

Hardwick bristled at suggestions his personal life and new romance with a Richmond staffer impacted on the relationship he had with his players.

“That was challenging to cop,” he says.

“The one thing I really relied on that time, I‘m not going to lie, there were certainly some struggles from my end, was the players and our footy club. They are family.

“Families have arguments, don’t get me wrong, but the fact of the matter is, regardless, we are always there for each other.

“Some of those guys really helped me get through, me and Trent (Cotchin) had some good conversations about what it looked like.

“We delved deep as we always do and we came through it in the end.

“That is part of the strength of our footy club, we will have the big boy conversations and it is what drives greatness a lot of the time.”

Hardwick, 49, said it was challenging to deal with the fallout of his marriage split from wife Danielle and the impact it had on their three children.

“My personal life is my personal life and that was a challenge dealing with it, not so much for me but for Danielle and the kids,” he said.

“It was a challenge at times but you just try to ride the punches as best you can.

“The nature of our industry is sensationalism, you know that and unfortunately it is part and parcel of what comes with it.”

Hardwick had a fiery year in the media, clashing with the AFL over his dislike of Marvel Stadium and then taking umbrage at Brisbane legend Jonathan Brown‘s criticism of Tigers forward Tom Lynch.

“I am very protective of our footy club and very protective of our players,” he said.

“I will always go into bat for them, I don‘t really care who is talking about them. I will just back in our lads and our players.

“They can have a go at me. Sometimes, it gets on my nerves? Yeah, maybe a little bit but the fact of the matter is we are all in the game and we know what it’s like.”

Hardwick said the late finish to the 2020 season because of Covid and Richmond winning the flag had his team always on the backfoot last year.

The Tigers’ coaching staff identified the shortened pre-season, combined with injuries to key players as the reasons for the club’s slide to 12th, the first time they’d missed the finals since 2016.

After some soul-searching the longest serving coach in the AFL – Hardwick is going into his 13th season – understands he was also below his usual standard throughout 2021.

“If I am being completely honest I didn‘t have the greatest of years from a coaching perspective,” he says.

“We didn’t get some things right along the way and you have got to be upfront and honest with that.

“Probably last year there were a couple of times where I wasn‘t at my best but I didn’t recognise that quick enough.

“I‘m not going to tell you a mistrust when I say last year I was tired … we needed the off-season. I needed the break and I feel reinvigorated.”

He said Cotchin‘s replacement as captain was “purely in the hands of the players” with the process close to being finalised.

WHAT IS DRIVING DIMMA FOR FOURTH TIGERS FLAG​

Damien Hardwick‘s alarm goes off at 4.52am every morning.

First on the agenda is an exercise class at the local gym followed by a coffee from his favourite Elwood cafe Miss Alex and Co which he consumes on the 10-minute drive to Punt Rd.

Before the sun comes up, Hardwick is sitting behind his desk at Richmond‘s headquarters planning his team’s premiership assault.

And the best part about the ritual? “It is quiet,” he says.

The gym, the coffee shop, the roads and the football club are all quiet at that time which puts the Tigers premiership coach into a Zen-like state.

“Coaching is challenging and so is life. You have got to find things that make you happy and do those things first and foremost,” Hardwick explains.

“Exercise, reading, journaling, coffee drinking, it makes me happy first thing in the morning and then I can start my day.

“I am already in a good place and I can be my very best for when the players come in.”

This is the reinvigorated version of Hardwick, 49, and there certainly wasn‘t the same spring in the step when the alarm went off last year.

On many levels 2021 was one of the toughest years of his career with the AFL‘s current longest-serving coach – he has taken over the mantle following the departure of his good mate Alistair Clarkson – under fire on a number of fronts.

A very public split from his wife, Danielle, had the spotlight on his private life and when his football team had a dramatic fall from grace, many were keen to group the two together.

It was ugly, messy and tiring.

“I‘m not going to tell you a mistrust when I say last year I was tired,” Hardwick explains. ”It was hard as you felt you’d just finished (the 2020 season) and then you were sort of back into it. It was like, ’Wow, where are we again?’.

“We just needed the off-season. I needed the break and I feel reinvigorated.”

An off-season fact-finding mission to the US where he tapped into contacts from previous visits has helped Hardwick get his mojo back.

“When anyone goes overseas it‘s exciting and it’s the same as a coach. You’re excited to be there, you see things, look at stories and things that you take back into the game.

“My journey overseas opened up my eyes again because obviously I hadn‘t been able to do it for a number of years so it sparked my interest to start doing a lot of reading and journaling again.

“I think the off-season is a great time for self-reflection and to analyse yourself, what you did really well and some areas that you need to improve.

“If I am being completely honest I didn‘t have the greatest of years from a coaching perspective. We didn’t get some things right along the way and you have got to be upfront and honest with that, with yourself, with your group of coaches and your match committee.

“But it‘s a great learning curve and I look at the similarities between our season in 2016 and the learnings I got from that as compared to last year as well.

“We went back and looked at the things that we did well and we will amend the process and hopefully get a better outcome this year.”

When pressed on what he found out about himself, Hardwick says he got bogged down in the details as he searched for answers to the Tigers‘ form slump which saw them miss the finals for the first time since 2016.

“While you can get some great feedback from other people which is really, really important, I get a great deal of enjoyment out of the fact that if you look inside yourself you can generally find the things that you do really well when you‘re at your best but also when you’re not at your best.

“Probably last year there were a couple of times where I wasn‘t at my best but I didn’t recognise that quick enough.

“I went into a period of my coaching where I‘m not as productive as what I like to be when I get caught up in the detail.

“I was trying to dig deeper into things, trying to find out what went wrong but sometimes it just happens or we‘re just not playing well or sometimes the opposition is just too good.

“But when you can‘t find a solution you continue to look and that is when I am at my absolute worst.

“Driven people do that, they look into things deeper and try and find a better outcome but sometimes it‘s just a matter of being patient and waiting for all the pieces of the puzzle to arrive and then realising it’s not as bad as what you thought it was.

“Sometimes it is things you can‘t fix.”

The review of the trainwreck season has identified the shortened pre-season as a major cause of problems with the injury toll throughout 2021, which included superstar Dustin Martin, exposing the Tigers young players who weren‘t ready to step up.

“Generally you break up your pre-season into fundamentals and your game style but because the pre-season started a lot later for us, later than normal, we completely bypassed the fundamentals part of the game and went straight into game style.

“If you think about the way we played, we got beaten in the contest a lot, our defensive pressure was nowhere near where we wanted it to be and they are the fundamentals of Richmond DNA and we just failed to train those.

“Unfortunately once the season starts there‘s no catching up.”

The best thing that happened to Richmond was Melbourne winning the premiership given it reinforced to Hardwick and his coaching group that their game style didn‘t need an overhaul.

“We asked ourselves the question: ‘Do we need to change style?,” Hardwick says. ”The greatest bit of reinforcement for us was watching Melbourne play.

“The way they play, I love the style of game they play, it‘s hard, it’s tough, it’s forward footy, it is heavily contested, it’s defensively very solid and they have got incredible talent which shines when they need to.

“For us as a footy club and as a coaching staff it was the greatest reinforcement that we needed.”

Hardwick is excited about the new era his football club is about to embark on. Trent Cotchin‘s decision to step down means there will be a new captain for the first time in almost a decade while the Tigers draft haul – they had five picks inside 30 – has the coach genuinely pumped.

“It is as excited as I have been about a group of young players and they have all shown signs in our matches,” he says.

Last week Hardwick caught up with Clarkson for dinner and a couple of quiet beers. He loves tapping into the mind of his friend – he worked under him at Hawthorn – who knows a thing or two about coaching longevity.

“I am very, very lucky to do what I do, it is a tough job but it‘s a great job,” Hardwick says. “I get to do something that I have grown up loving my whole life, playing footy and coaching footy.

“It has been a great ride and hopefully it continues for a little while to come.”

“In 2022 Richmond Football Club are celebrating the “Year of the Tiger Army” and looking forward to welcoming members back to the MCG.

Take your place in the Tiger Army by visiting strongandbold.com.au or calling 1300 742 466”.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/news/exclusive-damien-hardwick-on-tigers-2022-resurgence/news-story/a9c5e93090c7b85910ed269ad735162d

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Damien Hardwick on Tigers 2022 resurgence​ (HeraldSun interview)
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2022, 09:50:45 PM »
yada yada yada

so after all that was caro right or wrong in saying it had an effect on the playing group?

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2022, 07:49:25 AM »
More from Dimma's interview in the HeraldSun:

Richmond mentor Damien Hardwick reveals how the Tigers plan to rediscover premiership form​

Richmond may have lost Callum Coleman-Jones and Mabior Chol but, while Damien Hardwick “loves those boys”, their departures mean more opportunity for a number of Tigers.

Last season became a write off at Punt Rd — for myriad reasons.

But coach Damien Hardwick says Richmond has put the perils of 2021 behind them and are ready to show the footy that delivered them three premierships in four years.

How will he do it?

He tells Scott Gullan exclusively in the latest edition of our Coach’s Clipboard series.

SCOTT GULLAN:As usual a lot of the focus over the off-season has been on Dustin Martin, sadly not all for the right reasons. How is he shaping up for 2022?

DAMIEN HARDWICK: It was a massive injury and Dustin is back training but obviously he had a difficult off-season with his father Shane passing. Around the club he is quite open, he is very loyal, requires trust but is just such a wonderful young man. To see the struggles he went through with the injury first and foremost and then the loss of his greatest influence of his life, Shane, was hugely challenging for him. He will battle on, he will get stronger again. He is in a good place at the moment and back training and we expect him to have a good season again. He‘ll probably play similar positions, the percentage of where he plays might be a little bit different. I would like to say I have a great bearing over that but Dustin puts himself where he knows he needs to be to be honest.

How disappointing was it to lose two promising talls, Callum Coleman-Jones and Mabior Chol, after investing a lot into them?

I love both of those boys to be honest but we will never stand in the way of opportunity for a player, if they are going to get a better opportunity. CJ we invested a lot of time in but he thought he was going to be a better opportunity to get a consistent game at North and we could understand his thinking. Marbs was the same, he has been in our system seven years and lived the whole time with friends of mine but he got a four-year deal to play consistent footy at the Gold Coast Suns and we couldn‘t stand in his way. It was a great offer, life-changing and we never stand in way of opportunity but what it does promote is opportunity from within. There is a young guy by the name of Samson Ryan who we are very bullish on, he’s young and undeveloped, he’s 207cm forward type and he’s really promising.

Noah Balta is another young guy we have got big plans for as well and our first draft pick Josh Gibcus is going very, very well, he‘s 196cm very athletic, incredible competitor and he is going to be a very good player for us long term. That allows us flexibility so with Noah, do we play him up forward? He has been training with the forwards he has been going very, very well. It’s exciting, he is a difference maker, he’s got X-factor, he’s incredibly athletic, can take a good mark and is a thumping kick as well. We’re trying to figure out how it all works, we’re not sure yet but we are working our way through it.

Balta forward is going to get Tigers fans up and about. You threw the magnets around a bit late in the season, what else did you learn?

That was the one thing about when the season was lost to a degree you do get to look at some things, to regenerate in a way internally and then you can add through the draft. We found Daniel Rioli at halfback as we had a fair understanding that it was going to be Bachar‘s (Houli) last year so we needed another running dashing halfback and Daniel it was a good move and he will only get better for the training over the off-season.

Sydney Stack is an interesting one, we like him down back but also really like what he can do up forward, he went forward late in the Hawthorn game and kicked a couple of crucial goals and set up another. He‘s got incredible ability, we are just hoping to get the best out of his ability. It is challenging, I mean this time last year he was just out of jail. We say it all the time Sydney has got more ability than 90 per cent of players in the AFL, he’s just got to understand how to use it and there is only one person that’s going to do that, we are there to guide him but Sydney is going to decide how far he goes.

What has Robbie Tarrant brought to the table so far?

That was a really good get. Robbie been a fantastic servant at North and been a one-club player, he is a really loyal guy so for him to commit to the Tigers was a really, really tough challenge for him because he loves that footy club that he has been with for 13 or 14 years. We are really excited to have him, he is a big boy, I didn‘t realise the size of him. We lost Dave Astbury who was a wonderful leader of our football club and Robbie is just going to come in and make a seamless transition and be really good for Josh Gibcus down there and Tom Brown who is another kid we are really excited about.

We know every club talks about how great their pre-season is at this time of the year but I‘m hearing you’ve had some of your senior players have been doing a lot more than previously, led by Dion Prestia?

Dion has had a great pre-season. He has barely played footy over the last two years, he missed large chunks of games and when we looked back and looked at how things operate, if he had played every game on average he would have won the last two best and fairests. We have barely had him so effectively he is like another No.1 draft pick. Then there is the big giant in Ivan Soldo, we‘re excited to welcome him back. And when I say Dion has had a great pre-season, I reckon Toby (Nankervis) has had a better one. He is looking amazing so there is a lot of real positive signs for us that we didn’t have last year. Toby Nankervis missed a large amount of footy, Dion Prestia barely played, Kane Lambert barely played, Ivan didn’t play so we are really excited about what these guys are going to bring to the table.

What do you do with Trent Cotchin this year?

We would like to investigate some things in the games coming up. He is that good at what he does, it‘s hard to take away his strength but also we want other players to step in and grow in the role as well. We want to give Riley Collier-Dawkins the opportunity and Jack Ross the same, these sorts of players are the future. The most exciting part about the Richmond Football Club is its future, that’s what keeps us all going and we keep looking to the next batch of guys who are going to take us where we need to go.

Great players do what they do. We went through some vision with our players about Richmond men and what it looks like. We showed the games, and finals in particular, where at halftime we have been down and then the very first play Cotchin sets the scene. There was a game against Geelong, we were down at halftime and he won a hard ball get. The third quarter was really important in that 2017 Grand Final, he got touch on a guy, smothered the ball, the ball goes down our way for shot on goal.Those are the things great players do and great leaders do, it‘s not the kicks, marks and handballs, in the modern game anyone can do that but it is hard and tough things that make him the player he is.

Former Carlton coach David Teague has joined your coaching ranks. What does he bring?

He is bloody good and sometimes coaching is bloody tough. I look at Teaguey and he is a senior coach there is no question in my book and sometimes the situation just doesn‘t go well for you. He deserves another opportunity and already he has been wonderful for us. I’m blessed to have got a great coaching staff, Adam Kingsley is a senior coach in waiting and we were very lucky to hold onto him. He was right in the mix for two jobs and was stiff not to get both to be honest. He is probably the best
I have worked with Adam and I have worked with some really, really good coaches so it’s only a matter of time for him.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/news/afl-coachs-clipboard-richmond-mentor-damien-hardwick-reveals-how-the-tigers-plan-to-rediscover-premiership-form/news-story/c2bbd707f786b7b40d62a4d1edde2bb9

Offline pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2022, 10:37:10 AM »
Second hall of the article was much better 

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2022, 04:23:06 PM »
Coach Damien Hardwick also caught Riewoldt’s eye with his comments in a frank interview with News Corp this week.

Hardwick conceded he wasn’t at his best on occasion last season and didn’t recognise that quickly enough, but he vehemently denied his marriage breakdown impacted on his relationship with the players.

“I just love his honesty. He puts his hand up and, sometimes, I think he probably unfairly wears the burden and blame,” Riewoldt said.

“The players could step up a little bit more, too, but his honesty within the club and the group seeps into the media sometimes and that interview is a clear example of where he thinks we can improve.

“Some additions to our coaching team will help him, but he’s been really great so far this pre-season and in looking outside the box to help us get better.”

Source: HeraldSun