Author Topic: List Management: Keep, Trade, Delist  (Read 35702 times)

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: List Management: Keep, Trade, Delist
« Reply #60 on: August 29, 2022, 12:31:22 PM »
Last year the average number of delist, trade, retire was 8.7 per club. That included blokes who were cut and retaken as rookies, ie Cumberland and Nyuon with us. That still meant 7 changes to the list for us.

The least number of changes last year was 6 on two occasions.

Reckon at the least we are looking at 7 maybe 8 changes.

There is one contracted player on the list i would cut but it won't happen.

Are you talking 7 or 8 changes to this weeks team or the list.
You normally want to turn over 15-20
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #61 on: August 29, 2022, 12:32:53 PM »
Will be loosing quality picks for Taranto we need to get back in this draft what do you suggest ?.

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #62 on: August 30, 2022, 10:26:54 AM »
Last year the average number of delist, trade, retire was 8.7 per club. That included blokes who were cut and retaken as rookies, ie Cumberland and Nyuon with us. That still meant 7 changes to the list for us.

Hmm yes i do !!!! Rather than argue lets just say i always bring up who i think are most vulnerable it is usually a pile but its not over one year. If your implying i want 15  20 players dropped in one year every year  then id say your being deliberately disingenuous.

I could name close to 20 odd again  who i think we should be at least looking at to value add on what they offer.
This year i think the club  will cut trade retire  7 or 8 players, personally i think 9 should be a minimum..

Id be going and 4 decisions have been made for us.
Caddy, Lambert, Edwards, Parker all retired.  from here its just 5 players.

Obviously Aarts,  for me.
Castagna even though they just resigned him.
Martyn a big mid and can only get a kick across hb in the vfl.
RC-D Riley will be 23 5 yrs in and to date cannot even get picked for games, imo i think he will get there, but he has to be in trouble.  Stack and Mansell will  want out imo too good not to be getting regular games..
Dow and Nyuon must be in the spotlight as well.

Just okay players who id be looking to replace thru upgrades over time are
Soldo if a club offered something decent for him id take it.
Ross still young is never going to be a top liner hopefully he can become consistent.
Short well people know my thoughts on him and he would get us something in a trade.
McIntosh is already 28 and for the role he has played has just never been rounded enough for me.
Graham another who is servicable but lacking in areas and limited.

Then of course you have the oldies who are going to be gone in say two seasons if not earlier. Surely we have an eye on this
Cotchin playing well enough atm, But signs are there.
Riewoldt 34 at the end of the season still kicks some goals but there have been a lot of signs that he is in decline.
Tarrant is also 34 in april has to be getting close to retirement.
Grimesy is 31 and injuries are starting to come back.

Even with Lambert, Caddy, and Edwards retired, 12 of our starting 22 will be 28 years or older.

There will come a point where 5 or 6 pick changes each year will not be enough to offset the need to regenerate.

(edited to correct quote)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2022, 11:43:01 AM by WilliamPowell »

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #63 on: September 03, 2022, 07:27:13 AM »
Cotchin and Riewoldt are both keen to play on and the Club wants them to play on.

They would have to take a pay cut which is something they and the Club will have to work on in the coming weeks.

Source: Jon Ralph on Fox Footy last night.

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #64 on: September 03, 2022, 07:31:16 AM »
Fine by me

Online MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #65 on: September 03, 2022, 08:21:43 AM »

Hmm yes i do !!!! Rather than argue lets just say i always bring up who i think are most vulnerable it is usually a pile but its not over one year. If your implying i want 15  20 players dropped in one year every year  then id say your being deliberately disingenuous.

I could name close to 20 odd again  who i think we should be at least looking at to value add on what they offer.
This year i think the club  will cut trade retire  7 or 8 players, personally i think 9 should be a minimum..

Id be going and 4 decisions have been made for us.
Caddy, Lambert, Edwards, Parker all retired.  from here its just 5 players.

Obviously Aarts,  for me.
Castagna even though they just resigned him.
Martyn a big mid and can only get a kick across hb in the vfl.
RC-D Riley will be 23 5 yrs in and to date cannot even get picked for games, imo i think he will get there, but he has to be in trouble.  Stack and Mansell will  want out imo too good not to be getting regular games..
Dow and Nyuon must be in the spotlight as well.

Just okay players who id be looking to replace thru upgrades over time are
Soldo if a club offered something decent for him id take it.
Ross still young is never going to be a top liner hopefully he can become consistent.
Short well people know my thoughts on him and he would get us something in a trade.
McIntosh is already 28 and for the role he has played has just never been rounded enough for me.
Graham another who is servicable but lacking in areas and limited.

Then of course you have the oldies who are going to be gone in say two seasons if not earlier. Surely we have an eye on this
Cotchin playing well enough atm, But signs are there.
Riewoldt 34 at the end of the season still kicks some goals but there have been a lot of signs that he is in decline.
Tarrant is also 34 in april has to be getting close to retirement.
Grimesy is 31 and injuries are starting to come back.

Even with Lambert, Caddy, and Edwards retired, 12 of our starting 22 will be 28 years or older.

There will come a point where 5 or 6 pick changes each year will not be enough to offset the need to regenerate.

(edited to correct quote)
Agree Claw, plus Prestia is going to struggle injury wise I think.
We have holes everywhere.

Looking forward 2024 will be a disaster with the number of likely retirements.

RCD must have run Dimmers dog over, he has been performing well over the last 2 months.
Stack needs to be in the mix. These are 2 players we will probably lose.

Personally I feel our downward spiral is going to be massive.

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #66 on: September 03, 2022, 09:16:43 AM »
I think they wait until all the aged players who are going to retire do. Prestia is so injury prone he may step away. Then and only then drop up to 7. It's not like you can find 9 kids who will make it in one year.

Online Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019.2020
« Reply #67 on: September 03, 2022, 09:21:33 AM »
Neither are going anywhere.

Notwithstanding what he brings to our team, short signed a 5 year contract this season. Would hate to become a team who commits long term to players only to try to farm them off not long after.

Not sure what the benefit of trading graham is either. He’s no world beater but he is a good player who plays his role. Besides we wouldn’t be getting a first rounder for him anyway.

Spot on

Both are rated incredibly highly within the "4 walls" of the Club.

So I don't think either will be going anywhere
Both are strong clubmen.
Trade clubmen at your peril it can sometimes derail the club.

The club that keeps giving.

Online camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #68 on: September 03, 2022, 09:34:27 AM »
Good post , see how north and hawthorn went by cleaning them out
The young players need the mentoring and protection for a few years

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #69 on: September 03, 2022, 01:31:01 PM »
The decline was bound to come it's part of the industry so don't know why people are surprised and scared. Some of our champions are once in a generation players to.The rejuvenation has began through for me besides Lynch ,Prestia and Cotchin at times we have been less relied on our senior players in 2022.

Got to keep drafting and rejuvenate with kids with our senior players we got a great hand 12 ,19 and 30 I'm hesitant to use them.in Taranto.

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #70 on: September 03, 2022, 03:24:02 PM »

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #71 on: September 03, 2022, 04:03:48 PM »
Good post , see how north and hawthorn went by cleaning them out
The young players need the mentoring and protection for a few years
Dont buy it about Hawthorn.

Their last flag in 2015 was aged 27yr and 303days. Sounds familiar eh.

At the end of 2019 4 years on they still had about 10 or 12 of their premieship players playing.It was not a mass exodus of senior players it has occured over 7 seasons and most who have gone actually needed to retire.
Even with stalwarts like Hodge and Mitchell going lewis Birchall i don't think they have been left bereft of experience

Your obviously refering to the players who went to other clubs wanting to go around again.

Mitchell left end of 2016 aged almost 33. and it was just one year. After that he was to take on a coaching role as part of the deal.
Lewis also left in 2016 aged 30 he still had seasons left in him imo.
Hodge left end of 2017 aged 33  they are the big names who probably wanted to stay but in no way did it leave the hawks bereft of experience they had a plethora of experienced players.

Others who probably got pushed Smith was 32 when he left end of 2020,  Birchall was 31 end of 2019, Frawley was 32 end of 2020 he played just 2 games after leaving. Smith aside they were shot imo.

Did it leave em bereft of experienced players nope they still had Burgoyne, T  Mitchell Shiels, McEvoy, Puopolo, Impey, Obrien, Henderson, Ceglar, Wingard, Omeara, Scully, Sicily Gunston Frost who they just got, Bruest. That is a still a decent core of  mostly 26 plus year olds thru to the end of 2020.

The simple truth is as players at hawthorn have reached 30 they have mostly retired on their terms.

Online camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #72 on: September 03, 2022, 08:40:22 PM »
I don’t thinks so, I believe your arguing with yourself by confirming a lot of those mentioned continued to play in sides that used them to mentor their kids and showed more improvement than Hawthorn ,  letting Hodge leave especially ,Mitchell , Lewis etc go was a mistake imo. A lot of the more highly rated players who left Hawthorn had more to give , bad mistake by Kennet and Clarkson

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #73 on: September 04, 2022, 07:45:23 PM »
Tom Browne on 7news:

Exit interviews tomorrow and Tuesday.

Taranto will obviously go to Richmond, so the big question now is can Richmond afford to keep both out of contract veterans Cotchin and Riewoldt?

Cotchin will stay on a one-year deal.

Riewoldt can stay provided he's willing to accept a lot less money.

Go to 0:50 min mark: https://twitter.com/7NewsMelbourne/status/1566348033645654016

Offline TigerRocket

• Future Richmond star
  • Tigers 4 Ever
« Reply #74 on: September 05, 2022, 12:18:42 PM »
Guys, just my opinion but our trade value sits with RCD (what a shame he doesn't have the grit we need has all the tools but doesn't seem to have the mental toughness), Soldo (a lot of clubs would pay for a tap ruck who can go forward especially GWS where Kingsley would value him)), Martyn (he has not cracked it and is well behind on the half back line), Ralphsmith (young and impressive one we really wouldn't want to loose but he would be a valuable get for many sides), Stack (just hasn't reached his potential and may have some appeal across in WA), Aarts (I thin k he will be part of our clean out and may end up in Qkld for very little return ) and dare I say it Short (yes I know he is a B&F winner but you have to give something to get something and he would be very appealing to many as an attacking Midfielder/Half back) ... expect some rockets coming my way on some of these!!