Author Topic: Ben Rutten returns to Richmond as assistant coach [merged]  (Read 2720 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Ben Rutten returns to Richmond as assistant coach [merged]
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2023, 05:41:27 PM »
"It's been pretty seamless."

We checked in with Ben Rutten after his first few months back at Tigerland.

Watch here: https://twitter.com/Richmond_FC/status/1615224185705607168

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2023, 02:48:02 PM »
Rutten's 'seamless' return to Tigerland

By Grace Kalac
Richmond Media
18 January 2023

After four years away from the Club, assistant coach Ben Rutten says he's settled straight back into life at Tigerland.

Having re-joined the Tigers' coaching ranks at the start of the pre-season in his same previous role as defensive coach, Rutten said it had been a "seamless" return.

"There's a lot of familiar faces amongst the footy staff and also amongst some the players," he said.

"But having said that, half the squad is probably different, and there's some new coaches to work with as well... It's exciting to work with some new people.

"It's a pretty familiar role for me. I'm looking forward to working back with Dimma and the other coaches."

Following four season at Essendon, including two as senior coach, Rutten is excited to offer a fresh outlook following his experiences away from Richmond.

"I think I can bring a slightly different perspective from when I was here last time," he said.

"There are some players I've worked with before and have relationships with, and there is also a new group of players coming through and hopefully I feel like I can help them reach their potential."

Rutten said he was looking forward to picking up where he left off with the likes of senior defenders Dylan Grimes, Nick Vlastuin and Nathan Broad.

"They're the three main ones that are most familiar down in defence," he said.

"But also, a lot of the other guys across the board. Trent Cotchin and Jack Riewoldt and some of those more senior players as well.

"It's been great, they haven't changed too much and they're still as hungry as ever, which I think is the most important thing.

"They're really keen to be great role models for these younger guys coming through."

The "youth and enthusiasm" amongst the Tiger cubs in Richmond's defensive unit has left a solid first impression on Rutten.

"It's been great. Josh Gibcus played a lot of footy last year at AFL level, he's a real standout," he said.

"Daniel Rioli as well, who's a bit more experienced but is relatively new down back, he's been a good one to work with.

"And Noah Balta, we've seen some really strong things from him as well.

"It's really exciting...there's a lot of energy down there at the moment which is great."

Rutten is confident in how the backline is tracking as they head closer towards the pointy end of the pre-season.

"It's been pretty good. This time of year, there's a lot of competing against each other," he said.

"Once we start building out our drills a little bit more and competing against the forwards and getting to a bit more of that match play stuff, that will be really good to see how the guys gel together.

"But this time of year it's a lot about our fitness and getting our physical training in as well."

https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/1262225/rutten-s-seamless-return-to-tigerland

Offline MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2023, 04:39:08 PM »
Hopefully he can get Balta up and firing

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2023, 08:37:00 PM »
Yep, our defence was a machine in our flag years, his critical to it, and to work with Balta and Gibcus, etc.