Author Topic: 2022 reflections  (Read 2186 times)

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
2022 reflections
« on: September 01, 2022, 11:48:00 PM »
Lot to digest in my mind right now so I suppose I am being somewhat cathartic here.

Very frustrating year in a sense. If you'd told me at the start we would finish 7th I'd probably have been happy with that but seeing how many close games we lost nearly broke. Could easily have been top 4 with some of those games we threw away, topped off by tonight which we should have won as well.

Great positives surprised me and I'm excited about 2023 because of:
MRJ showing his massive potential.
Sonsie as well, clean and great over head.
Miller I think is a versatile tall and could play any of second forward, back, wing or ruck. I didn't think he'd make it.
Cumberland also.
Gibcus great for a first year
Bolton went to another level
Lynch got his mojo back and kicked straight bar one or two bad games
Pickett also ageing like a good red wine
George with all due respect finally fell out of favour due to poor ability

Some bittersweets things:
Lambert retiring, poor guy was so banged up
Edwards too, suddenly cooked which is a shame
Caddy had no role in our team anymore

Looks like we'll land Taranto and Sonsie will come good but sitj Prestia and Cotch still being our best two contested mids we are in trouble given their ages and precarious hamstrings.

Will dusty leave? Honestly if he wants out, and I can't blame him with all the media assassination, he goes with my blessing. We learned to win games without him and Lambert etc so if that's what's best for him mentally then I'm ok with it and it would free up huge cap space for us.

Team I'd like to see in 2023, arrange them how you see fit. I'm going to work with the possibility that Jack + Dusty retires/moves on.

Tarrant Grimes Balta
Rioli Vlastuin Broad
Pickett Cotchin KMac
Cumberland Miller Bolton
MRJ Lynch Sonsie

Nankervis Taranto Prestia

Graham, Short, Gibcus, Baker

Fit Ross somewhere in there too.

Really hope we get Rutten back and someone to do better conditioning and injury management.

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: 2022 reflections
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2022, 11:55:35 PM »
This year was torture. There’s a part of me that’s glad it’s all over . It’s so frustrating not being able to close out games like we used to .

Tonight was just typical of our year - Richmond beating Richmond.

I’m really excited about the future though. Think the kids have been special.

Maurice Rioli just had me awestruck.

I think we will reload and be a stronger team next year .
Unleash the tornado

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2022, 09:38:54 AM »
I've called it a wasted year and there's nothing that will change my view on that

I expected us to bounce back this year. I expected to finish somewhere between 4-6

So to miss top 4 like we did with those brainfade losses and the loss last night is get wrenching

There were positives in the Cubs we found. MJR, Sonsie, Cumberland (biggest surprise for me), Gibcus.

Just on MJ, I keep telling folks if that kid is half as good as his Dad we will be a star.

But that was tapered with the frustrations at the young blokes who played consistently at VFL level and just weren't given opportunities. While at the same time certain blokes continually being picked in the seniors despite their horrid form

The future is bright, I believed that coming into 2022 and still do going forward

But right now I'm angry and gutted. 2022 could have been something very special and we blew it.

Richmond beating Richmond a theme I hope isn't repeated in 2023 and beyond
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline rogerd3

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2022, 09:55:48 AM »
I've called it a wasted year and there's nothing that will change my view on that

I expected us to bounce back this year. I expected to finish somewhere between 4-6

So to miss top 4 like we did with those brainfade losses and the loss last night is get wrenching

There were positives in the Cubs we found. MJR, Sonsie, Cumberland (biggest surprise for me), Gibcus.

Just on MJ, I keep telling folks if that kid is half as good as his Dad we will be a star.

But that was tapered with the frustrations at the young blokes who played consistently at VFL level and just weren't given opportunities. While at the same time certain blokes continually being picked in the seniors despite their horrid form

The future is bright, I believed that coming into 2022 and still do going forward

But right now I'm angry and gutted. 2022 could have been something very special and we blew it.

We blew it this year.

Offline Knighter

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2022, 10:07:58 AM »
Another wasted year whilst we were in our window.  Not helped by pee poor coaching, umpiring and hamstring management at times but the worst thing was our inability to put sides away when we were clearly the better team.  Mental weakness at its worse.

Offline Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2022, 10:17:54 AM »

I don't think a season where players were debuted, or at least, given some more games is a wasted year. However, it was certainly frustrating and would have been a great opportunity to expose those players to some big finals. It will only be wasted in my eyes if nothing is learnt from this season., ie. how to close out a game.

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2022, 11:32:26 AM »
Good thread.

A frustrating but better year than 2021. 2021 was awfully painful, however a honeymoon period coming off our dynasty. Agree that we had an opportunity with being so open and we wasted it. I think that was wasted during the year and resulting missing top 4. You miss top 4 a mistake or umpiring decision can cost you your season, which that did last night. It is what it is.

POSITIVES:
Plenty of positives, many said about our future. Agree with all above, especially Sonsie, MRJ and Cumberland. I'm wrapped with Kingsley gone, and hopeful for Rutten in. Some more selfless people is a positive.
Edwards, Caddy and Lambert as much as I love them, their spots will open up some key depth and talent for the side where all 3 have struggled to impact since 2020.
Finals, it sucked missing in 2021, to get back into the top 8 was a positive, even though we lost a finals build up is better than nothing.

NEGATIVES:
Team selection did my head in, needs to be better. The idea of Balta down back, Baker being moved to defense after his best on ground vs Cats in middle when Prestia went down. George persistence.
Umpiring, I know we play a style that won't be winning the umpiring count. But it's very hard to be a supporter especially when you aren't winning majority of games.
Dusty saga, thought the club hasn't handled this well. Starting with Dimma comments of giving his blessing for him going. Its taken months for the club to come out and say he's contracted he's not going anywhere. This should have happened early, regardless of it he was going.
Close games. 17 teams don't win flags but part of being a sport supporter are the little wins along the way. Beating rivals etc. We lost all our close games which was awful. Needs to be addressed next year.
Fitness, most injuries I can remember. Name the players that weren't injured in some what this year. Rioli is the only one I can think of. Maybe Nank?

Sad the season is over, great to be back at the footy. Unsure who to support now. I guess Dees.
Go Tigers!

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2022, 11:33:57 AM »
Losing those games to the Suns and North killed us.  Best game of the year was winning against Bris after being 42 pts down.

Offline pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2022, 12:14:52 PM »
What a year, I went through every emotion possible from week to week watching us at times play exceptional football but at other times being really ordinary.  Our best is great but we have patches n almost every quarter where we just stop. 
The lack of fitness really shone through early on in the season but got better as the season went on.
Really disappointed in the injuries that have plagued our stars over the past 18 months and the fitness team in general. 

Couple of things we need for 2023
Go after Taranto & Hopper (if it means we trade Dusty or he retires then so be it).
Develop a tagger to play each week.  I'm sick of the Lachie Neale's in the game getting 40 touches with us not even seeming to care that they are tearing us apart. 
Develop a killer instinct, did not like Dimma saying we are a side who doesn't expect to win by a lot.  This is ludicrous and cost us 4-5 wins this year. Let's go out and be 100% all game and start thumping teams. 

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2022, 12:25:04 PM »
Defensively we weren't there this year, they were a fumbling, bumbling, frustrated mess down back. New faces that have to play together for a couple more seasons and start running like a well oiled machine.

I can't get my head around the fact that we lost with a minute to go from a goal by the laziest and conceited spud of a footballer I've ever seen. 
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2022, 12:33:37 PM »
Can I just add

That although we need to get the trade and draft right

I cannot help but think the single biggest most crucial appointment we have coming up and we must get right is the one of High Performance manager = the Burge replacement

Our soft tissue injuries this year spiraled at an unacceptable rate.

Even allowing for the age demographic of our list of who suffered the soft tissue injuries. That we had so many and that some blokes returned and then re-injured in short space of time tells us this area needs to be fixed.

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2022, 01:57:41 PM »
I can’t remember a season where we were in so many  games - deep into the final quarter.

It’s fitting that the season ended the way it did - So Richmondy.

I share the same feelings- a wasted year . To borrow this analogy- it looked like your favourite meal but was half cold .

In over 4 months our worst result was a 6 point loss .
Unleash the tornado

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2022, 06:46:00 AM »
‘Almost’ year for Tigers ends in agony

David Zita
Foxsports
5 September 2022

7. RICHMOND (13-8-1, 121.6% - lost elimination final to Brisbane)

Three word analysis:

Almost, not quite

What went right:

He kicked more goals in 2019, but Tom Lynch nearly bettered that tally of 63 in 25 games with his 2022 tally of 60 in 18 games this season. He was in career-best form and looks a force to be reckoned with if he keeps that sort of form up in 2023. Shai Bolton continues to deliver and is arguably the best player to watch in the competition, while Daniel Rioli had a career-best season in defence. They didn’t lose a game by more than a goal after round six, an extraordinary effort. Damien Hardwick admitted the side’s game style in the early rounds wasn’t getting it done, so they went back to what worked for them and adapted brilliantly, which kickstarted their season from round seven onwards. They also blooded some very impressive youngsters, with Josh Gibcus and Noah Cumberland leading the pack.

What went wrong:

They lost so many close games. The losses to Gold Coast and North Melbourne in back-to-back weeks by a combined margin of six points cost them a top-four berth in the end and that loss to Brisbane will stick with them for a while given how close it was. Dustin Martin headlined a list of players that simply couldn’t stay on the park long enough compared to previous seasons. No Dylan Grimes hurt, but defensively they coughed up far too many scores whenever they weren’t able to set up properly. It really was an almost season for the Tigers, and the fact is, to play as well as they did this year but not win a final is a disappointment.

What time is it on the premiership clock?

12am: It seems like the Tigers are right on the edge of contention before things drop off slightly once the likes of Jack Riewoldt, Trent Cotchin and Dylan Grimes hang up the boots. We’ve already seen Shane Edwards and Kane Lambert depart and so much of their 2023 campaign will depend on how long they can keep their best 22 out there. Dustin Martin’s future and commitment to the Tigers is a key part of how their fortunes will look next year. Tim Taranto will get to the club on a mammoth deal and provide more midfield depth. You’d give the Tigers a chance of winning it next season, but after that it becomes more complex.

Season grade

B-

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/brutal-reviews-what-went-wrong-for-bottom-10-and-who-they-now-must-target/news-story/a4af7bf59dc2ff6fafd677c2ec5564ea

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richmond's 2022 review: The Hope, the Hurt and the Clanger (Sporting News)
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2022, 08:46:55 PM »
Richmond's 2022 review: The Hope, the Hurt and the Clanger

Aidan Cellini
Sporting News
5 September 2022

Richmond's 2022 campaign finished in dramatic fashion, as a nail-biting ending ensued on Thursday night up at The Gabba against Brisbane.

17 lead changes occurred during the elimination epic, with the margin not exceeding 16 points as both sides wrestled momentum from one another.

Tom Lynch took a contested mark deep in the pocket late in the final term, with a goal all but cinching victory.

However, a supposedly errant kick that saw the ball soar over the goal post had all viewers in shock as to what the decision would be.

The goal-umpire signalled six points, but still went upstairs to the ARC to ensure the correct call was made.

After much deliberation, the decision was overturned and the Tigers were awarded one point.

A minute later, the Lions went down the other end were some Joe Daniher heroics saved the home side from yet another finals defeat, as the club knocked off Richmond by two points.

The season ended in disappointment as highs and lows were experienced all throughout.

Following three flags in four years, the Tigers returned to finals football after missing in 2021.

With Dustin Martin out for most of the year, the task looked tough in 2022, especially given the poor start to the season.

The club was 2-4 after round six, with wins against Western Bulldogs and the Giants the only positives early in the piece.

However, an 109-point drubbing of an undermanned and decimated West Coast kick-started a string of wins that put Richmond back into finals relevance.

Following four consecutive wins, Sydney was their next task, as another controversial ending took place.

The Swans prevailed by six points, but could've cost themselves two points as Chad Warner kicked the ball into the crowd although Richmond were due to take a free kick from 70 metres out.

Debate took place over whether or not the Tigers should've been awarded a 50 metre penalty, putting Dion Prestia in goal-kicking distance.

At the bye, Damien Hardwick's men sat 6-5 and were ready to attack the second half of the year.

The month after the bye was near perfect by Richmond, who put together three wins and a narrow loss to Geelong (three points), despite being a worthy winner on the day.

However, a disappointing fortnight was about to transpire, with back-to-back losses to Gold Coast and North Melbourne.

Noah Anderson broke the hearts of Tigers fans with a goal after the siren, while Cam Zurhaar's six-goal effort delivered North Melbourne's second win of the season.

Sitting just in the eight on percentage, finals was on the line.

The side put four wins and a draw in the remaining five rounds together, booking themselves a spot in September, with the rest being history.

Three Tigers players were rewarded with All-Australian squad selections, as Daniel Rioli, Shai Bolton and Lynch took their spot in the 44-man lineup.

However, only Bolton would be apart of the best 22, being placed on the half forward.

The Hope

Young midfield

With the exciting prospect of landing Tim Taranto, the Giants bull will join a young midfield brigade that consists of Bolton, Jack Graham, Jack Ross, Jayden Short alongside veterans Trent Cotchin and Dion Prestia.

Taranto (24) will be a like-for-like replacement for Cotchin as a tough, inside rover giving his teammates first look.

Bolton's speed and elusiveness as well as Graham's gut-running ability and Short's damaging foot skills will all complement the pick two from the 2016 Draft as the Tigers will soon have a much more balanced midfield and more depth.

Tom Lynch

As long as Lynch is playing, Richmond remain relevant in the premiership race.

In arguably his best season to date, the former-Sun put together an All-Australian worthy season, especially given his absence from four games.

Slotting 63 goals and being deadly accurate (63.6 per cent), Lynch proved to be the difference at times throughout the season and had the game in his hands on the weekend.

The 29-year-old led the league in contested marks (62) and averaged 3.4 marks inside 50, ranking elite.

The Hurt

Premiership stars retiring

Richmond waved goodbye to three of their premiership stars, with Josh Caddy, Kane Lambert and Shane Edwards all departing from Punt Road.

Edwards, who played in all three flags (2017, 2019, 2020), tallied 303 games for the Tigers as well as being selected in the 2018 All-Australian side.

Lambert was also a three-time premiership player, despite being overlooked in many drafts prior to being selected in 2015.

Caddy joined the Tigers at the beginning of 2017, after coming from Gold Coast and Geelong in the previous years.

The former-Cat was a two-time premiership player and a key contributor to the team's success.

ARC review - Tom Lynch's miss

Prior to Daniher's clutch goal, Lynch had the opportunity to put the game to bed but unfortunately the ARC denied that chance.

The ex-Sun had a shot from the pocket that looked like sneaking in, although the review saw it different despite the goal umpire's decision for six points.

What seemed to be insufficient evidence to overturn the umpire's call, the ARC review somehow found something to change the decision and ultimately the course of the game.

Post game, Hardwick expressed his frustration and anger at the sweeping disappointment felt by the Tiger faithful.

"Why don’t we just let the umpires make the call? They’re paid to do a job, let them do a job – or don’t have them, one of the two," Hardwick said.

The Clanger

Joe Daniher's last-minute goal

In the most crucial moment of the game, experienced Richmond players had a momentary lapse that costed them the game and ultimately their season.

Leading by four points with 70 seconds to go, Zac Bailey pumped the ball deep inside 50 for the Lions, landing the ball in the goal square, leaving Tigers players the opportunity to knock it through the points.

Jack Riewoldt, Toby Nankervis, Robbie Tarrant and Noah Balta guarded the goal square and had the chance to win it for their side.

Daniher, alongside defender JackPayne tried to even the contest, but struggled to fly for the ball.

Balta, Nankervis and Tarrant all rose to clear the ball, essentially competing against one another as Daniher was able to read the ball and crumb the spillage, hacking the football out of mid air through the big sticks.

In that moment, Richmond had no coverage on the goal line nor were they able to kill the ball and found themselves in a vulnerable position.

What do Richmond need?

Aside from Geelong, Richmond are the second oldest team (25.1 years old) in the competition, with some of their stars still being heavily relied upon.

Dylan Grimes, Tarrant, Riewoldt, Martin, Cotchin and Prestia are all nearing retirement and will need some youngsters to replace them.

Although Bolton, Graham, Nathan Broad, Nick Vlastuin, Liam Baker and Daniel Rioli look to be the next wave to carry the Tiger side, there isn't enough young talent at the moment to really contend for the flag in the next year or two.

Josh Gibcus and Maurice Rioli look ready made players but the Tigers need to simply add more.

The club currently holds picks 12, 19 and 30 in the upcoming draft and can use that to select some future midfielders and half backs to bolster their list.

Players linked to the club

Tim Taranto is all but set to land at Punt Road, as the deal was put on hold until after Richmond's campaign finished.

The GWS midfielder looks like signing a long-term seven year contract, as the Tigers look to bolster their young midfield brigade.

Teammate Jacob Hopper has also been on the radar of Richmond, but seems unlikely given his link to Geelong.

2022 Out-of-contract players

Player Name   Status
Jake Aarts   Out-of-contract
Mate Colina   Out-of-contract
Riley Collier-Dawkins   Out-of-contract
Trent Cotchin   Unrestricted Free Agent
Will Martyn   Out-of-contract
Bigoa Nyuon   Unrestricted Free Agent
Jack Riewoldt   Unrestricted Free Agent
Sydney Stack   Out-of-contract

Retirees and Delistings

Player Name   Status
Josh Caddy   Retired
Shane Edwards   Retired
Kane Lambert   Retired
Matthew Parker   Released

https://www.sportingnews.com/au/afl/news/richmonds-2022-review-hope-hurt-and-clanger/sdcx31z88dljapainyzdvqbo

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richmond's season review (SEN)
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2022, 03:45:02 PM »
RICHMOND’S SEASON REVIEW: HIGHLIGHT, LOWLIGHT, OFF-SEASON NEEDS AND OVERALL GRADE

By Andrew Slevison
SEN
6 September 2022

It was a funny old season for Richmond.

After missing finals in 2021, the Tigers set their sights on recovering and returning to September action in 2022.

That they did, but it came after losing four home and away games by a goal or less, playing out a draw, then losing an Elimination Final in heartbreaking fashion.

They were able to achieve what 10 other clubs couldn’t, but most Tigers fans would feel it was a missed opportuntiy considering they finished the home and away season as the highest scoring team with the fourth best percentage only to settle for seventh.

See our review of the Tigers below:

The season in a sentence

A season of near misses and ‘what ifs’ which could have delivered so much more.

The Highlight

The win over Brisbane in Round 20 was outrageous.

The Tigers found themselves down by 42 points midway through the second quarter in a match they simply needed to win to keep their finals hopes alive.

It was a superb comeback in Shane Edwards’ 300th game and a much-needed win on the back of two disappointing defeats and a draw.

From an individual sense, Tom Lynch’s bag of eight goals against Hawthorn in Round 22 was a highlight, as was Shai Bolton’s goal of the year contender against the Bulldogs in Round 4.

The Lowlight

On the flip side, it would have to be the Elimination Final loss to the Lions.

It was a game of inches at the Gabba which ended in calamitous fashion for Damien Hardwick’s men.

Tom Lynch had the chance to ice it with two minutes remaining, and his banana from the pocket was seemingly a goal, before ARC intervened and turned it over.

Then the Tigers got it all wrong in defence, failing to rush a behind from the goal square and allowing Joe Daniher goal-side to kick the match-winner.

Aside from that, the four-point loss to lowly North Melbourne in Round 18 was a disaster, as was the defeat to Gold Coast the week prior.

Losses like those two cost the Tigers a potential top four spot.

Off-season moves to make

The Tigers are seemingly all-in on GWS midfielder Tim Taranto.

They desperately need a quality on-baller given the fact Dion Prestia is prone to soft-tissue injuries and former captain Trent Cotchin might have just one year left.

There is also a need for a key forward to act as understudy to Jack Riewoldt, before slotting into his position in 2024 provided he plays on.

Noah Cumberland showed plenty of promising signs as a forward, but simply doesn’t have the size to be relied upon as a key option.

Edwards, Kane Lambert and Josh Caddy have already retired, while Matt Parker has returned to Western Australia.

On the chopping block

The Tigers have only a few fringe players who are out of contract, including former first-round draft pick Riley Collier-Dawkins.

The midfielder has struggled to force his way into the senior side and it will be interesting to see if the club persists, given he was a fairly high selection.

Small forward Jake Aarts fell out of favour after playing 35 AFL games across 2020 and 2021, while triple premiership player Jason Castagna also dropped out of contention late in the season but remains contracted.

Season grade

6/10

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2022/09/06/richmonds-season-review-highlight-lowlight-off-season-needs-and-overall/