Author Topic: Jacob Hopper [merged]  (Read 49446 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Jacob Hopper officially a Tiger [update]
« Reply #240 on: October 12, 2022, 06:16:14 PM »
Dusty puts out the welcome mat for Hopper at Tigerland

Najma Sambul
The Age
October 12, 2022

Richmond recruit Jacob Hopper has been given a tour of Tigerland by superstar teammate Dustin Martin as part of his welcome to the club, with the 25-year-old midfielder joining on a seven-year contract.

Hopper was traded from Greater Western Sydney along with picks 53 and 63 in exchange for picks 31 and a future first-round pick, and he said the deal made him feel as though he had been drafted all over again.

“It was huge to get the call yesterday, just super pumped, feel like I’ve almost been drafted again, got those same kind of exciting feelings and just can’t wait to get started again,” Hopper said at Punt Rd on Wednesday.

“Dusty’s been brilliant, he was very good when I had my walkthrough ... I haven’t really spoken much to Dusty, so it was great to just hear from him.”

The former GWS player will be joining the powerhouse club with fellow ex-Giant Tim Taranto, with the pair likely to play the midfield together, and Hopper said the prospect made the trade even better.

“I think the opportunity to keep playing footy with Tim is massively appealing. I’ve loved playing footy with him, and we’ve built a real connection,” he said.

“We’re both pumped, we’ve been on the phone, chatting away. So it’s massively exciting.”

Hopper averaged 26 disposals, 3.8 tackles, and 4.3 inside 50s per game in 2021 at the Giants. He was also named in the All-Australian squad of 40 and nabbed 15 Brownlow Medal votes.

Hopper is contracted until 2029 and said he “always” wanted to sign a long-term contract with a club.

“I’m incredibly grateful for it, that there’s some serious belief in me, and I’ll back myself in every day of the week as well,” he said.

He had also been in talks with Geelong but had his sights set on becoming a Tiger, and had more time to consider his options this year.

“The year was challenging, not playing much and being injured. So, probably found myself with more time on my hands than usual [to think]. And it was something that was always in the back of my mind as well, to kind of get back closer to home,” he said.

Hopper has spoken with coach Damien Hardwick, describing the discussions as “awesome”. The midfielder began his AFL career at GWS after being drafted in 2015, and is looking forward to the change of a larger fan base.

“It’s been a great privilege to build and to contribute to growing a club in western Sydney ... I’ve had some games against the Tiger Army so to be on the other end of that is going to be pretty cool.”

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/dusty-puts-out-the-welcome-mat-for-hopper-at-tigerland-20221012-p5bp6z.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #241 on: October 12, 2022, 06:18:30 PM »
Hopper's first day at Tigerland.

Watch here: https://twitter.com/Richmond_FC/status/1580057307068583936

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #242 on: October 12, 2022, 09:49:10 PM »
Hopper the same draft year as Dan Rioli (2015).

Both North Ballarat Rebels & St Patrick's College boys so a fair bit of history there.

https://twitter.com/Tigers_of_Old/status/1580139083166232580

Online Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland

Offline pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #244 on: October 13, 2022, 01:39:40 PM »
Saw this on the AFL website
The deal sending Jacob Hopper to Richmond had a financial incentive as well for the Giants from the Tigers' end, perhaps explaining why the Giants ended up throwing in some selections late.
Does this just mean they had to dump his salary? 

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #245 on: October 13, 2022, 01:57:06 PM »
Saw this on the AFL website
The deal sending Jacob Hopper to Richmond had a financial incentive as well for the Giants from the Tigers' end, perhaps explaining why the Giants ended up throwing in some selections late.
Does this just mean they had to dump his salary? 

Sounds like we picked up a bit chunk of his 2023 salary

Online Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #246 on: October 13, 2022, 02:01:05 PM »
I would expect we are taking on his full salary as part of his 7 year deal. Never expected the giants to contribute to that.

Offline Jonesracing82

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #247 on: October 14, 2022, 12:15:24 AM »
I would expect we are taking on his full salary as part of his 7 year deal. Never expected the giants to contribute to that.
Ditto, this was our bargaining chip to get a good deal for him which we did

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Jacob Hopper officially a Tiger [merged]
« Reply #248 on: October 20, 2022, 05:01:32 PM »
Hop on top: New Tiger living the dream after 'frustrating' season

Richmond recruit Jacob Hopper tells Josh Gabelich about his move from GWS alongside good mate Tim Taranto

By Josh Gabelich
afl.com.au
20 October 2022

JACOB Hopper was at a mate's place in Melbourne when it all went down last Tuesday afternoon. Just when he thought his trade from Greater Western Sydney to Richmond was going to have to wait until deadline day, his manager Robbie D'Orazio called to tell him it was finally done.

After months of waiting, the paperwork had been lodged and approved. 

Soon, Richmond GM Blair Hartley was on the other end of the phone after executing the Tigers' second piece of business with the Giants, following Tim Taranto's move to Punt Road on the opening day of the Continental Tyres AFL Trade Period. Then it was time to speak to GWS GM Jason McCartney, before sharing the news with family and friends. 

After attending the wedding of GWS co-captain Stephen Coniglio days earlier – while his future was still up in the air – Hopper could drive to Sorrento that afternoon with the knowledge his future was sorted ahead of Phil Davis' wedding on the Mornington Peninsula.

Last week was all about saying goodbye, but now the dust has settled on the career-changing move from a club with the second-lowest membership base in 2022 to the club with the second-highest, from a start-up franchise to a powerhouse that was founded in 1885.

Having spent most of September travelling through Italy, Switzerland, France and England, Hopper is busy organising the logistics of relocating from New South Wales to Victoria, counting down the days until day one of pre-season at the Swinburne Centre.

"It is now very real. I've got to say goodbyes and get my life sorted. There is a real excitement and eagerness now to get started," Hopper told AFL.com.au this week.

"Most off-seasons you try and enjoy your time off and you're not overly looking forward to getting back and into it all. But at this point, there has been so much talk and it's been such a long process, now there is a real eagerness to get into training, get to know new teammates and new staff."

While Taranto was the focus of trade speculation from the start of the season – and the general consensus was Tanner Bruhn would request a trade back to Victoria by the end of his first deal – Hopper had a contract with the Giants for 2023 and didn't emerge as a trade target until the midway point of the season.

By that stage of the year, Hopper had played only once due to a nagging knee injury that required a second round of surgery in a matter of months, after he pulled up in pain following the round one loss to Sydney.

It meant while Greater Western Sydney's season was going from bad to worse in his absence – leading to the departure of Leon Cameron after nearly a decade at the club – Hopper had the time to carefully consider where he wanted to play his football long-term.

"I had more time on my hands than I anticipated this year, that's for sure. I was trying to get the knee right early in the year. There was an opportunity to be explored. It was great to be able to enter into the process pretty open-minded about everything," he said.

"I love Sydney, I love the Giants and I loved my time there as well, so it wasn't something I went into light-heartedly. I wanted to meet with as many people as I could and have open discussions. Geelong were part of that process as well. It just felt really right with the Tigers. If it was going to get done, it felt like the Tigers was the place for me.

"There wasn't a definitive point where I said yes or felt like I was going to explore leaving the Giants. I think it was just meeting the people inside the building. I'm halfway through my career now and you want to be with people that I can have the most success on and off the field with."

After a 2021 campaign where Hopper established himself as a star by earning selection in the 40-man All-Australian squad and polling 15 Brownlow votes to finish third in the Kevin Sheedy Medal, not much went to plan this season. 

"Hindsight is a beautiful thing, isn't it? If we had our time again, we'd probably do some things differently. I feel like that's the case with injuries that don't turn out the way you want them to. It was just a frustrating time," he said. 

"I got impatient at times which cost us. Once I was able to cool the jets, I could focus on really getting it right. It was hard to sit and watch the footy that the boys were playing and not getting the results we wanted. It was a tough experience but it was good to get some footy in the back end."

Rarely do two players from one club land at the same club in the same trade period, especially proven stars. Steven May arrived at Melbourne 12 months after Jake Lever. Tom Lynch moved to Punt Road two years after Dion Prestia.

But that's what happened during the trade period. Richmond convinced Hopper and Taranto that there is enough room for both of them in Damien Hardwick's midfield, then went to work satisfying the Giants' demands.

Hopper, like Taranto – and most Giants – didn't grow up in Sydney, but matured at GWS after arriving as an 18-year-old, following five years in the club's academy. Throughout the year the pair shared the uncertainty, anxiety and excitement of making the decisions they ultimately made.

"It's really unique that we've both landed at Richmond. We were just supporting each other as mates during the year. It initially just started with us catching up and checking in about a move. We never thought this was a possibility," he said.

"We both love playing footy together; we feel we play our best footy together. It was only late in the process where we thought, 'hang on this could actually happen'. Then we got really excited about that. We were just holding on and praying that we'd get there in the end."

Both Hopper and Taranto have inked seven-year contracts with Richmond, committing the best winters of their careers to the yellow and black. Hopper knows that decision has been met with derision in some quarters – especially in the wake of Brodie Grundy's departure from Collingwood – but he is comfortable with the scrutiny and expectation that comes with putting his signature on that piece of paper.

"I think it was something that at this point of my career I wanted to sign a long-term deal," he said. "I've signed a couple of twos. I wanted to get to the halfway point of my career and commit long-term and focus on being a part of a club and trying to make it as successful as I possibly can.

"I'm super stoked to say I'm a Tiger for seven years. It's a long-term commitment from both me and the club."

https://www.afl.com.au/news/858816/hop-on-top-new-tiger-living-the-dream-after-frustrating-season

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #249 on: November 05, 2022, 05:35:24 AM »
The best kind of teammate to train with!

Watch here: https://twitter.com/abcsport/status/1588361526687039489

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #250 on: November 21, 2022, 06:58:31 PM »
Hopper's first day as a Tiger on the training track  :thumbsup.

Offline Gracie

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #251 on: November 22, 2022, 02:43:45 PM »
Big hands or a small football

Offline Simonator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #252 on: November 23, 2022, 06:47:41 PM »
I have a few friends who play AFL. They reckon hopper is better than Taranto, interesting because I thought Taranto was easily.

Offline camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #253 on: November 23, 2022, 08:31:10 PM »
With Cotch to mentor it will be interesting to see how he goes

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #254 on: November 23, 2022, 09:15:16 PM »
I have a few friends who play AFL. They reckon hopper is better than Taranto, interesting because I thought Taranto was easily.

Interesting

I go back to the 2019 GF and I thought Hopper was better than Taranto on the day. Handled the occasion a lot better. So based on that I've always been of the view Hopper is the better player
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)