Author Topic: Can Richmond challenge again in 2023?  (Read 25216 times)

Online TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
Re: Can Richmond challenge again in 2023?
« Reply #120 on: March 20, 2023, 11:33:14 PM »
I don't know how we beat Melb who are team to beat IMO.

Pies looked good but nobody wins anything in March.
Go Tigers!

Offline Jonesracing82

• Premiership Captain
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #121 on: March 21, 2023, 01:34:18 AM »
Dees are making the same mistake they did last yr. Think us in '18.

Offline tony_montana

• Tiger Rookie
« Reply #122 on: March 21, 2023, 02:24:19 PM »
I still think we can, but I'll admit there is some doubt.

The game against the pies in 2 weeks will answer a lot of questions for mine. Last season our transition defence was awful, if we're to be a legitimate chance in 23, that needs to tighten up considerably. There were good signs against carlton on Thursday, but Pies are probably the best in the business at quick transition from defensive 50, so we'll learn a lot about where we're at in 2 weeks.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #123 on: March 24, 2023, 04:20:51 PM »
From Barrett's 'Sliding Doors' column today:

IF ...
the Tigers were OK in round one ...

THEN ...
I've still got doubts about their credentials in 2023. Even with Taranto and Hopper as acquisitions, I question their midfield quality.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/887054/if-the-eagles-have-won-two-games-since-r19-2021-then

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #124 on: March 27, 2023, 03:10:24 PM »
KING AND WHATELEY’S TOP FOUR SEEDS AFTER ROUND 2, 2023

SEN
27 March 2023

KING

1. Collingwood
2. Sydney
3. Melbourne

4. Richmond

“I have got the Tigers, I’m a believer in the Tigers.

“I don’t know why, I think this clearance game is starting to work and the old firm are still staying strong.”

WHATELEY

1. Collingwood
2. Melbourne
3. Carlton
4. Sydney

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2023/03/27/king-and-whateleys-top-four-seeds-after-round-2-2023/

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #125 on: March 29, 2023, 01:58:00 PM »
AFL Power Rankings

Max Laughton
Fox Sports
March 29th, 2023

What are the Power Rankings?
This is our attempt to rank every AFL club from best to worst. We take wins and losses into account, but also the quality of opposition faced and whether teams are likely to get healthier or improve going forward. It’s a little bit ‘who’s hot and who’s not’; part predictive, part analysis of what’s happened. If Team A is above Team B, we’d probably tip A to win if they were playing at a neutral venue this weekend.

1. Collingwood
2. Sydney
3. Melbourne
4. Brisbane

5. RICHMOND (1-0-1, 123.9%)

Last week’s ranking: 7

The Tigers were underwhelming for large patches of the win over Adelaide, but were so good in the other patches it didn’t matter. That’s the positive. But now they have to deal with a blow to their defence, which is already their flaw. It’s not like Nathan Broad is a superstar but losing any part of their back six for the next month of footy is going to hurt. They’ve got a brutal four weeks to come - Collingwood, the Bulldogs, Sydney and Melbourne. So just our three highest-ranked teams and a Bulldogs side that’ll probably be playing for its season... no big deal.

6. Carlton
7. Geelong
8. Port Adelaide
-------------------
9. St Kilda
10. Essendon
11. Fremantle
12. W.Bulldogs
13. Gold Coast
14. GWS
15. Adelaide
16. North Melbourne
17. West Coast
18. Hawthorn

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/epic-prelim-rivals-surge-into-top-spots-as-big-fears-emerge-for-22-finalists-afl-power-rankings/news-story/5051700f6249e194789f7928036304a7

Online the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #126 on: March 29, 2023, 08:45:28 PM »
The real shame in all this Broad saga is Tom Browne is hurt and not available.

Reckon a bit outside the box would be McIntosh to hb, That was a role i always believed he should have been developed in having been very good at it as a junior. Similar size but far worse skills than Broad.

The only problem with that would be he will play plodder Ross on the wing rather than blood Clarke give Sonsie some space or even debut Banks.
Another young option would be Ralphsmith. All those quick skilled running options and yet in the past Hooch has played Ross there.

But wait Hooch is a 3time premiership coach and just never gets things wrong.

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #127 on: March 31, 2023, 10:05:17 PM »
NO!

Too many lazy players not willing to work like they used to.

Can’t tackle like we used to.

Aren’t hungry enough. Too slow.
The club that keeps giving.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #128 on: March 31, 2023, 10:50:22 PM »
We were woeful tonight yet I wouldn't write us off after only 3 rounds. We were missing key players and we are still an evolving side that clearly needs to jell over the remaining 20 H/A rounds. Our defence stood up relatively well considering and against what everyone is now saying are the premiership favourite at virtually full strength.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Online TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #129 on: March 31, 2023, 10:51:54 PM »
I think Pies and Dees stand alone as top 2. Swans have had a easy draw and Lions can't win away from Qld.

I'm still bullish even after a poor showing, and a poor 3rd qtr vs Crows. I don't think we are far off Lions with our flaws. We beat Lions in Vic and they beat us up there. Swans are unknown. We won't get top 2, top 4 is for the taking though. We've given Pies closest game even though it should have been more. I'm still bullish but there is an enormous amount to work on to challenge, but those challenging for top 4 also are miles off (Lions, Cats, Freo, Blues)
Go Tigers!

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #130 on: March 31, 2023, 11:01:29 PM »
I don’t see the want anymore from our senior players just don’t have what it takes anymore and are not the icing on the cake of a good team.

Our forward entries are a massive issue and our big forward for some reason don’t want to lead into space and just flap their arms for the big mark no one takes.

Nankervis continues to get worse the more he should be dominant ie. EF final 2022 and second half tonight.
Grimes has had a terrible stay to a season since he kept pining hammies and cotchin just can’t go at the same pace as he used to.

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #131 on: March 31, 2023, 11:12:44 PM »
Honestly it looks like Jack and Cotch and hoping to ride a Taranto/Hopper wave to a 4th flag.

They try a bit, but can't gut run anymore, rarely man up in time on etc.

Nankervis is also quite a sucky ruckman. 40 of the worst hitouts you'll ever see tonight.

Online the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #132 on: March 31, 2023, 11:52:03 PM »
NO!

Too many lazy players not willing to work like they used to.

Can’t tackle like we used to.

Aren’t hungry enough. Too slow.

Reckon you have it wrong though those things contribute. For me the major reason!!  not enough well rounded players hence the words role players is so much in vogue with tiger supporters.They try they do their best but when with ball any sort of pressure sees them gift it back.
They work but lack the attributes especially with ball in hand.
Tackling interesting  imo too many smalls who cannot lock up players in tackles  but agree we are just a lousy tackling team and have been for awhile now.
Hunger equals age. Along with to a degree too slow. Lets keep playing the role players we wont win a thing because the role players lack in a big way one way or the other.

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #133 on: April 01, 2023, 12:20:33 AM »
Honestly it looks like Jack and Cotch and hoping to ride a Taranto/Hopper wave to a 4th flag.

They try a bit, but can't gut run anymore, rarely man up in time on etc.

Nankervis is also quite a sucky ruckman. 40 of the worst hitouts you'll ever see tonight.
Nankervis worst game ever was last season Elimination final. Absolutely Terrible.  :help
Tonight a close second.  :help

Both times he has the luxury of an injured ruckman and should’ve dominated but failed twice against the very same player.  :banghead :banghead  :help

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #134 on: April 01, 2023, 09:16:32 AM »
Our youngsters aren’t up to the level and because of that fact we haven’t had the lifted output from our aging senior stars.

In contrast, the Pies aging stars have been propelled to their former glory with the influx of young elite runners that are prepared to work hard and tackle for four quarters.

We just don’t have that yet from our next crop and by the time they get to that level our three time premiership superstars have already started their media careers.