Author Topic: Season opener: Richmond vs Carlton @ the MCG --- Round 1, 2023  (Read 15417 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Season opener: Richmond vs Carlton @ the MCG --- Round 1, 2023
« Reply #165 on: March 16, 2023, 09:59:41 PM »
Got out of jail with a draw. Didn't deserve to win playing one decent quarter.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Broadsword

« Reply #166 on: March 16, 2023, 10:03:24 PM »
Bolton . Kick it with straight when your 35 out straight in front. Just stupid.
Yeah that was garbage. Shirked the responsibility.

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #167 on: March 16, 2023, 10:10:20 PM »
Cripps was good, but it was a nice change not being monstered in the middle.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline Simonator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #168 on: March 16, 2023, 10:12:37 PM »
Hopper looked pretty average but I think you can see he can easily rectify it, just gotta be cleaner. Hopefully this game blows some cobwebs out

Broadsword

« Reply #169 on: March 16, 2023, 10:19:45 PM »
Hopper only had 72% TOG and Cotch 67%.

Hopper being eased in I reckon and will get better as he builds fitness and increases game time.

Offline camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #170 on: March 16, 2023, 10:31:12 PM »
Not a bad thing to share the load with the inside mids. Hopper looks like he needs some match fitness but have faith he will improve with a few games under his belt

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #171 on: March 16, 2023, 10:34:18 PM »
A lot of harsh takes on here.

Think we should have won - game was on our terms for the best part of 3 quarters. Draw isn’t a horrible result.

Liked a lot of how we played, locking in our forward half for long spells, won clearances, had big tackle numbers both total and in fwd50. Easily the biggest thing that let us down was our forward 50 entries. Won that by around 20 but too often kicked it on the head of our players or directly to our forwards disadvantage. Improve that and we would have won comfortably.

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #172 on: March 16, 2023, 10:45:12 PM »
Well that was excruciating to watch. On top of that I was surrounded by Cheat supporters that were blind and clueless. The first half was especially terrible

All I can say is that would’ve been a hard loss to take so I guess a draw was fitting.

Lots of improvements to be worked on from everyone. 

Thought Graham was a beast with his tackling and pressure was awesome. I also thought Pickett was very good before he was subbed off not sure why.

Rioli was one of our bests out there.

Pestia was one of our best as was Lynch. Grimes was good

With all the ball we got we should’ve probably won the game.

Nankervis disposal was absolutely terrible. Hopper was ok.

Taranto was solid.

Our skills should improve as the season progresses
The club that keeps giving.

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #173 on: March 16, 2023, 10:45:43 PM »
Just got on and dont know what everyones thinking but i reckon we lost two points at the selection table.

Like last year how do you come away with so little when you have so much ball going into the fwd half compared to the opposition.

Make no mistake i think if we played Cumberland and Ryan we would have won this game.

When are tiger supporters going to get fed up with Tom Lynch having to compete with two or even three tall defenders every time he goes near the ball.
When the eff are we going to do something about playing and developing someone who can help with this.
Why the hell did we not play the best most productive small goal kicking fwd we have. FMD just because its a new season our inability to capitalise on so many fwd 50 entries just doesnt magically fix itself.

Somewhere along the line this year if we are to genuinally challenge for a flag we will have to pick better stuctured teams and stop gifting games to so many blokes in the wrong roles. ah stuff i wont go on but by crikey im frustrated with the direction we are taking.

Offline FooffooValve

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #174 on: March 16, 2023, 10:46:17 PM »
Got out of jail with a draw. Didn't deserve to win playing one decent quarter.

The last minute aspect might give that impression, but overall I couldn't disagree more. We dominated that game and just couldn't hit the scoreboard as we should have. I'm more encouraged than disappointed with our performance tonight; I reckon the Blues are a good side.

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #175 on: March 16, 2023, 10:51:42 PM »
Way too negative on here.

We were sloppy but we were also the better team most of the night.

Carlton are a good side.

I think we showed we can mix it.

Offline FooffooValve

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #176 on: March 16, 2023, 10:58:44 PM »

Make no mistake i think if we played Cumberland and Ryan we would have won this game.

Yeah nah. Neither would have added to our forward pressure and speed. I was surprised that Cumberland wasn't selected but when you see the game play out, I can understand why. No defensive pressure and he's no speedster. I thought Mansell was pretty good in the 2nd half, and kept running in the last, was a factor in us staying in the game. Sure, Cumbo might have kicked a goal but we might have conceded two the other way with the ball rebounding quickly from the back half with him, Jack, Lynch and Martin down there.

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #177 on: March 16, 2023, 11:04:15 PM »
I don’t think our forward pressure was bad tonight? We locked in our front half for longggggg periods. I’d bring Cumberland straight back in next week but that’s just me.

Broadsword

« Reply #178 on: March 16, 2023, 11:11:07 PM »
What was it about Rhyan Mansell's game that was so much better than Cumberland would have provided? Was it his 7 possessions, his 1 tackle, his paltry 67% game time? Was it the dinky nothing possessions that betrayed his lack of confidence?

Mansell for Cumberland was a disaster. Dimma said in his presser it was because Dusty and Cumberland play the same role, so he had to pick Dusty. Someone should have asked him if he would pick Dusty twice if he had a clone. Just because two players are similar doesn't preclude them from playing in the same side if they are good enough. What's more, I distinctly remember the Cumberland F50 smother that led to a win at the back end of last year.

It just didn't work and probably cost us the game.

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #179 on: March 16, 2023, 11:32:28 PM »
Way too negative on here.

We were sloppy but we were also the better team most of the night.

Carlton are a good side.

I think we showed we can mix it.
Okay i can live with that but where do we need to be better.Are we just gunna make the same mistakes over again just so Hardwick can look after his mates.