Author Topic: Tylar Young [merged]  (Read 15504 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Rookie pick 26: Tylar Young
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2023, 08:36:23 PM »
The media seem to think Young will make his debut in round 1 with Tarrant out.

Online Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2023, 08:53:59 PM »
I wouldn’t be surprised. He didn’t have a good game in the praccy but you could say the same thing about every other one of our more experienced ones.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2023, 09:13:12 PM »
This is what I said after therapy game 👇👇👇👇

He will probably play round 1 because that's what we do

But from the small amount of the game I watched he is not ready for AFL IMHO

Still think he's likely to play

And he's not ready for AFL
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2023, 01:48:16 PM »
From The Age:

With injuries to key defenders Robbie Tarrant (hip) and Josh Gibcus (hamstring), the Tigers appear likely to debut mature-aged rookie Tylar Young in front of what will be a crowd of about 90,000 at the MCG.

Coach Damien Hardwick prefers a structure with three tall defenders but against Carlton it is even more imperative as the Blues not only have the two elite tall forwards in Harry McKay and Charlie Curnow but will likely play Tom De Koning forward and second ruck to Marc Pittonet.

Richmond have not yet decided whether Young plays given they could also use Ben Miller behind the ball, but the former Albury soccer player has been solid in each of the practice matches and looks a strong chance to get the nod by the match committee.

It will be a stunning rise for Young who only started focusing on football in 2019 after playing soccer, cricket and table tennis growing up on the Murray. He spent last year on Richmond’s VFL list after playing for Frankston in 2021.

He is stands 196 centimetres but is an athletic defender with the scope to play on a medium.

“He played soccer all his life and only moved over to footy late in the piece,” Richmond recruiting manager Matt Clarke said.

“He came to Melbourne to study and played at Bundoora for a year. He went down to Frankston and we had been tracking him at Bundoora and then at Frankston and we decided to get him into the [Richmond] VFL program because of his athleticism but also he is just such a natural competitor and you just really need that in your big players, well we think you do.

“He has really embraced the game plan really quickly.”

Source: The Age

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richmond rookie Tylar Young backed by captain for Round 1 debut (3aw/ZH)
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2023, 01:55:45 PM »
Grimes on 3aw talking about Young:

Richmond rookie Tylar Young backed by captain for Round 1 debut

“I think he’s done everything he can to put his hand up.”

By Annie Ireland
zerohanger.com
March 9, 2023

Richmond co-captain Dylan Grimes has backed rookie Tylar Young to be primed for selection ahead of Richmond's season opener against Carlton next week.

With Robbie Tarrant and Josh Gibcus officially ruled out of Round 1 due to a hip injury, Grimes told 3AW he "wouldn't be surprised" if Young is chosen to take on Carlton's in-form twin towers and the league's past two Coleman Medal recipients, Charlie Curnow and Harry McKay.

"I think he's done everything he can to put his hand up nice and high for selection," Grimes said.

"He's not far off after what he's done already to key forwards over the community and intraclub matches, (Young) has been impressive, I wouldn't be surprised either way.

"The rate of improvement in the professional program after getting drafted has been enormous, he's been really impressive in what he's been able to do over what has been a really short professional career so far."

Young crossed from Frankston to Richmond in the VFL in 2022, playing 14 games as a key defender across the season to impress recruiters and land an AFL list spot.

Richmond used its second selection, pick no.26, in the rookie draft to recruit Young.

Young is listed as a key defender, having showmn an ability to cover an array of opponents while also having a promising intercept game.

https://www.zerohanger.com/richmond-rookie-tylar-young-backed-by-captain-for-round-1-debut-133943/

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2023, 02:25:22 PM »
If they debut him we will just have to see if he sinks or swims I guess.

Regardless I am glad we have at least taken talls in Young and Bradtke.

Question though - why not Biggie? He's entering what his fourth year on the list? You'd think he would be much better placed than a rookie with one pre-season under his belt.

Miller will have to play forward/ruck or backline backup surely.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tylar Young to debut for Richmond (HeraldSun)
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2023, 06:38:16 PM »
It's behind a paywall but the HeraldSun says Young will make his debut next Thursday night.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/afl-2023-tarryn-thomas-to-return-in-vfl-this-weekend/news-story/928572e93315b72c35ffd62b79e01dcc

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2023, 11:26:34 AM »
From memory, didn’t the player you’re referencing go undrafted?

Even if he did get drafted, let’s let this play out more than 1 meaningless praccy game shall we.

Yes he did and it happens all the time, good players left to rot in the vfl

Point being made Phillips simply ticked more boxes and looked like he had better attributes to play afl footy.
He may never get on a list and that would be a shame because if Young is worthy of a try Phillips is too.

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2023, 11:35:40 AM »
If they debut him we will just have to see if he sinks or swims I guess.

Regardless I am glad we have at least taken talls in Young and Bradtke.

Question though - why not Biggie? He's entering what his fourth year on the list? You'd think he would be much better placed than a rookie with one pre-season under his belt.

Miller will have to play forward/ruck or backline backup surely.

Yep at least we took a few talls belatedly.
Why not Nyuon is a damn good question.

Reckon we need to play both Young and Miller. We dont really have good match ups for McKay or Dekoning and those two are probably the best bet. Also think a way to keep them honest is to play Ryan as a fwd.

Online Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2023, 04:22:37 PM »

Even if he did get drafted, let’s let this play out more than 1 meaningless praccy game shall we.

Point being made Phillips simply ticked more boxes and looked like he had better attributes to play afl footy.
He may never get on a list and that would be a shame because if Young is worthy of a try Phillips is too.

Maybe so but there’s just as many cases of players from state leagues who ‘tick all the boxes’ that come into the AFL and don’t show anything at all and are straight back to the state leagues in 2-3 seasons.

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2023, 12:17:58 AM »

Maybe so but there’s just as many cases of players from state leagues who ‘tick all the boxes’ that come into the AFL and don’t show anything at all and are straight back to the state leagues in 2-3 seasons.

Geez ive been going on about this for god knows how many years. To the point where you take state league players over late nd picks and rookie picks. The vast majority of whom never play a game.

Not a lot of boxes need to be ticked but three i have always gone by is. Have the attributes pysically to play afl. Win best and fairests at their clubs win stae awards. Also look at those who always beat afl players who are in the reserves for what ever reasons.

So So many who probably should have been at the least tried never ever got a look in. It has been my opinion for so long but its an area that not just us but all clubs consistently get wrong.

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2023, 08:30:06 AM »
How big is this guy?

App I use says 196/98 but profile says 196/92.

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2023, 12:48:26 PM »

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2023, 01:13:55 PM »
Young won't be debuting this week according to Dimma. Dimma was asked about Tylar playing and Dimma replied "probably not".

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2023, 04:23:53 PM »
Young won't be debuting this week according to Dimma. Dimma was asked about Tylar playing and Dimma replied "probably not".
RICHMOND coach Damien Hardwick has all but ruled out a debut for mature-age recruit Tylar Young as he ponders the best way to battle Carlton’s twin towers of Charlie Curnow and Harry McKay in Thursday night’s blockbuster AFL season opener.

Despite a stellar last few weeks from Young during pre-season games, Hardwick said the 24-year-old was unlikely to get the nod to take on Coleman medallists McKay and Curnow in a baptism of fire at the MCG.

“Probably not this week … he’s very, very close. We’ve been very impressed with this kid, he’s been in our system for five minutes but he’s taken us by storm really,” Hardwick said.

“I’ve got no doubt that you’ll see him in the coming weeks. We’ve been really impressed with how he’s gone about it.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-team-news-whispers-updates-for-round-1-2023-afl-news-2023-round-1-teams-selections-squads-supercoach/news-story/ef5f71c4db212a86cc43e7b670bcc609