Author Topic: Non-Richmond games 2023  (Read 28724 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Cerra cleared of dangerous tackle charge at Tribunal (Foxsports)
« Reply #135 on: May 30, 2023, 07:44:23 PM »
The Blues became the first team to successfully overturn a dangerous tackle ban at the Tribunal, with Adam Cerra free to face Melbourne on Friday night.

They argued against the incident being rough conduct, against the incident being a dangerous tackle, and if those fail against the impact grading seeking to lower it from medium to low - a unique case given typically clubs just argue against rough conduct and not also the dangerous tackle.

Cerra noted Luke Parker was pushing him into Sydney’s Tom Hickey before the contest and argued he had “not much grip” on the ruckman.

“I didn’t pin his arms. I didn’t get a grip on the tackle at all. I had fingers around his left tricep and the other arm around his back,” the Blue said.

“I had no other option. Parker on my back, pushing me into his path. With his (Hickey) force coming through, I didn’t have any other option.”

He added, when questioned by Lisa Hannon for the AFL: “I didn’t feel I was in a position of power to use my strength to bring him to ground, it was more his momentum coming through me.”

The scrutiny was on whether Cerra was holding or controlling Hickey, with the Blue arguing: “I wasn’t really grabbing anything to let go of. I was taking in his force.”

Hannon argued: “This isn’t a case of accidental head impact, but a case of almost inevitable head impact ... a reasonable player wouldn’t have considered it prudent to continue to hang on in a rotating tackle.”

However the Blues blamed Hickey for focusing more on possession of the footy than protecting himself.

“Hickey chose to clutch onto the ball. I’ve been told in football it’s called ‘ball security”,” Peter O’Farrell said.

“That was a choice that Hickey made. Instead of releasing the ball and putting his arm out, he chose to hold onto the ball.”

He added: “The size of Hickey is best described as something like that of an oil tanker.”

Tribunal chair Jeff Gleeson responded: “Please tell me you’re not going to call Cerra a tug boat.”

O’Farrell later argued: “Hickey has got long hair. The panel should be careful and not be distracted by the head movement of a player with long hair.”

But the AFL dismissed the Blues' suggestion Cerra had little to no impact on the tackle.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-2023-tribunal-live-updates-latest-news-match-review-dangerous-tackles-luke-parker-on-sam-walsh-adam-cerra-on-tom-hickey-rory-laird-on-lachie-neale/news-story/144df62767332aa76aa18b11b09fe04c

Online JP Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Non-Richmond games 2023
« Reply #136 on: May 30, 2023, 08:38:51 PM »
I dunno, did Carlton threaten to wheel in their QC again?  Ooh, that one works real good! 

Is there much difference with this tackle compared to the tackle that Broad copped 4 matches for?    :huh     
Once a Tiger, always a Tiger!  Loud, proud & dangerous!

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #137 on: June 02, 2023, 08:58:40 PM »
The standard of footy is so much better to watch with the new rules - NOT! :facepalm

How our recruiter Matt Clarke didn't want Van Rooyen at pick 17 is still perplexing :P.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #138 on: June 02, 2023, 09:15:13 PM »
The standard of footy is so much better to watch with the new rules - NOT! :facepalm

How our recruiter Matt Clarke didn't want Van Rooyen at pick 17 is still perplexing :P.

Well we don’t need a KPF do we ?

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #139 on: June 02, 2023, 10:19:58 PM »

Well we don’t need a KPF do we ?
Apparently not Chucky according to our recruiters :P.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #140 on: June 02, 2023, 10:26:19 PM »
At least we can enjoy some schadenfreude this year at Carlton's expense :lol.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #141 on: June 03, 2023, 12:38:45 AM »
Blues fan on SEN - "We should play like Richmond when Dimma put Grigg in the ruck"  :lol

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #142 on: June 03, 2023, 03:10:53 PM »
Today's game is making our effort last week look half decent. It's kind of the story of our year. We seem to play just below the level of our opposition :-\.

ps. Hawthorn now has the record for the worst first half against Port instead of us (back in R12, 2002).

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #143 on: June 03, 2023, 06:53:28 PM »
https://twitter.com/FOXFOOTY/status/1664890327080247297

De Goey has to get 4 weeks for that. It should be sent straight to the tribunal.

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #144 on: June 03, 2023, 09:45:54 PM »
Has to be 4.

Let’s hope they start  to unravel a bit. Few injuries few suspension

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #145 on: June 04, 2023, 03:58:20 AM »
Let's hope so Frankie.

The Suns are doing well now by the way. Hard to see Dew losing his job if they end up playing finals.

This year is wide open especially for the lower half of the top 8. Sadly, another year wasted by us by having a shocker  :(.

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #146 on: June 04, 2023, 07:23:48 AM »
Yes. We need cats and the dees to provide some competition to even it out.

Lions have no chance at the G, ditto crows so I have it down to 3.

As a side note did everyone notice a cats up and coming star. Bruhn. I’m pretty sure this is the guy they got gifted by the suns in their salary cap
dump.

He laid 12 tackles and looks very good, I hope Blair and co get off whatever they have been smoking the last few years and actually do some descent trades this year. Clarke arrived in 3016 and one would argue the best players we have were selected by old mate Frankie Jackson so Clarke needs to get back to his 2016 levels.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
De Goey sent straight to the Tribunal (afl site)
« Reply #147 on: June 04, 2023, 07:12:28 PM »
Jordan De Goey faces a ban of at least three matches and is ineligible for the Brownlow Medal after being referred to the Tribunal.

His bump that concussed West Coast youngster Elijah Hewett on Saturday at Optus Stadium was graded careless conduct, severe impact and high contact, meaning the Tribunal will determine De Goey's fate.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/943227/match-review-mro-hands-down-verdict-on-de-goey-hit-eagle-banned

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #148 on: June 04, 2023, 09:35:54 PM »
How is that careless but not intentional?

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #149 on: June 04, 2023, 10:21:39 PM »
Should get 4 weeks if the Tribunal is consistent. The Eagles player was concussed.

How is that careless but not intentional?
These are usually called careless as intentional is hard to prove unless a player thumps someone way off the ball. For intentional, the Tribunal would have to prove De Goey deliberately intended to bump the Eagles player in the head.