Author Topic: Footy’s back! But it’s time to revisit the season's opening act (Age)  (Read 639 times)

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Footy’s back! But it’s time to revisit the opening act

Paddy Sweeney
Nine Sports Presenter
March 16, 2023

Footy’s back. How good.

And with it comes thousands flocking to the MCG tonight, decked out in their teams’ colours.

Surrounding pubs will be packed, fans shoulder-to-shoulder like sardines in a tin, bold calls made as fast as the beers flow.

But while I watch the Tigers and Blues tonight, I also wonder why, yet again, the AFL continues to give these two teams the privilege of opening the season.

I get the notion of starting the year with momentum.

Two big, proud and successful Victorian clubs going head-to-head.

A sold-out MCG, under lights.

But what have they done to earn a stranglehold on this fixture?

I, like many, will be glued to the screen.

Hell, it’s been 109 days since the AFLW decider was boomed into our loungerooms and 170 since last year’s AFL grand final.

So starved are footy fans, I’d just as happily tune in for a local rivalry between amateur clubs Bullcreek Leeming and the Willetton Blues. After all, we know full well how good the atmosphere in the can bar is.

Tonight’s match will be the eighth time in nine years Richmond and Carlton have been gifted the honour of starting the season.

The outlier was last year, when Premiers Melbourne kicked four of the last five goals to fight off grand finalists the Western Bulldogs.

During this time, the Tigers and Blues have played out dour affairs. Every. Single. Time.

The Tigers winning all seven games, only once the Blues getting within less than four goals.

And these one-sided outcomes could have been easily predicted by those at AFL HQ, given the formlines of them coming into the season.

Not once had Carlton made finals the year prior, while Richmond made the top eight in all bar one season and won three premierships.

But why don’t we take the guessing element out of the fixtures and go with a simple formula which is most likely to give footy fans a match deserving of a proper season opener.

A grand final replay.

Sure, it doesn’t ensure an amazing, tight, hard-fought contest, but it also doesn’t act as a free hit for clubs like the Blues, who are currently getting rewarded for being perennial underperformers.

Let’s reward the best team of the year prior with opening the season. Give the premiers the eyeballs of the footy world they deserve and a chance to unfurl the flag in front of their fans at their home ground.

There’s also a greater chance of an even contest.

Both sides have the exact same length of pre-season and time to recover from injuries and should anyone be suspended from the grand final, they’ll serve it against the team they infringed.

I’m not a fan of constant tweaking and changing of rules every season.

But at least this is giving the season opening match the best chance of being a spectacle, worthy of the occasion and hype.

“You get what you deserve in a game, really,” was a quote from Adam Simpson in 2021.

It was very fitting after the Eagles were smashed by 97 points by Geelong.

Unfortunately, the same principle can’t be said when it comes to the mindset displayed by those sitting at Docklands when landing on the best way to begin each AFL season.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/footy-s-back-but-it-s-time-to-revisit-the-opening-act-20230314-p5cs50.html

Broadsword

I'd be happy to revisit the opening act of every season, which is invariably a mid-week whinge about the Richmond-Carlton fixture.

Then we could move straight on the the meat and potatoes of round 1 - the Richmond-Carlton fixture.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
So predictably boring!!! Every year, without fail!!! :banghead

In saying that, the normal whinging has been kept to a minimum this year. I think this is the case because Carlton won last year and the two teams appear relatively even.

What I can't stand about these types of arguments is that they are based on pure opinion and not fact. In previous years when they tried to play other sides in the first match of the season, it was well-heralded. Last year's match was finally going to be interesting for neutral spectators and a nice close tussle.....and then no one watched it or turned up for the game.

The AFL needs a big-ticketed game between two big clubs to get attention. To sell papers, air time, get media attention, generate debate, and get people talking. Carlton v Richmond does that every, single, time. So unless people are willing to move the ANZAC Day game, Dreamtime, Queens Birthday and the Show Downs & Derby's, then stop the complaining and accept that for generating interest every year, the game is an utter success.