Author Topic: Dimma quits [merged]  (Read 34087 times)

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019.2020
Re: Dimma quits [merged]
« Reply #180 on: June 29, 2023, 09:59:09 PM »
Wants to coach again apparently.  :rollin
The club that keeps giving.

Online Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
« Reply #181 on: June 29, 2023, 10:01:55 PM »
Was coaching tonight via Skype. :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #182 on: June 29, 2023, 10:08:40 PM »
Was coaching tonight via Skype. :shh

Skype still exist?  Isn’t it called Teams now?

Probably couldn’t get his laptop started  :rollin

Online Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
« Reply #183 on: June 29, 2023, 10:09:10 PM »
Still has dial up. :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #184 on: June 29, 2023, 10:21:02 PM »
Dimma clearly doesn’t like anything too old or slow. Jumps ship at first sign of aging.

Likes them young and vibrant with a tinge of carrot.  :shh

I think he’ll be at Gold Coast next season.  :rollin

Offline MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #185 on: June 29, 2023, 10:37:20 PM »
Stupid post

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #186 on: July 02, 2023, 04:01:22 PM »
Tom Browne (yeah I know) says the AFL and Gold Coast want Dimma.

Go to 1:10 min mark: https://twitter.com/7NewsMelbourne/status/1675066481124716544

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #187 on: July 04, 2023, 04:55:29 AM »
Stuart Dew could be gone as Suns coach within weeks, according to a report, with Damien Hardwick looming as his replacement.

https://twitter.com/FOXFOOTY/status/1675827857678012416

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #188 on: July 04, 2023, 08:10:52 AM »
Stuart Dew could be gone as Suns coach within weeks, according to a report, with Damien Hardwick looming as his replacement.

https://twitter.com/FOXFOOTY/status/1675827857678012416

Gosh I hope not.

Really think they should stick with Dew myself. He's been doing good work. Don't think they're approaching a flag window but definitely think this is the 2015-16 era at RFC where they need to back in their coach and not cut him

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #189 on: July 04, 2023, 02:11:07 PM »
From Caro:

“My equally firm view is that Damien Hardwick will ultimately be the coach of the Gold Coast Suns and that if there is a caretaker appointed at this stage, it looks like being Steven King.

“I think Damien Hardwick softened the public up to where he’s at with coaching.

“I think he was stale at Richmond, I don’t think he was burnt out with footy.

“I do think that the week Damien Hardwick announced his shock resignation from Richmond was a very difficult week for the Gold Coast Suns and Stuart Dew.

“No one can convince me that the timing of both decisions are not linked. Certainly a lot of people believe that.”

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2023/07/03/veteran-journalists-massive-news-on-three-afl-coaches/

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #190 on: July 05, 2023, 01:34:24 PM »
Damien Hardwick will be hard for the Suns to ignore

Damien Hardwick couldn’t have positioned himself better for the Suns coaching role if he had tried, and Gold Coast will find it difficult to ignore him for 2024, writes Jon Ralph.

Jon Ralph
HeraldSun
July 5, 2023

As always, Damien Hardwick’s sense of timing is impeccable.

As a player and coach, he won a Port Adelaide premiership (2004) and two of his three flags at Richmond (2017 and 2020) with perfectly timed grand final second-half surges.

As Richmond’s departing coach, Hardwick could ­scarcely have orchestrated a better timeline to set himself up if there becomes a vacancy on the Gold Coast throne.

Hardwick is adamant he was burnt out at Richmond and had known this would be his last year for some time.

He is nothing if not brutally honest, and those around him scoff at suggestions he has artfully positioned himself to seize upon premiership teammate Stuart Dew’s role.

But if Gold Coast eventually loses faith that Dew is the man, Hardwick can find a way to eventually take over as Suns coach while having plausible deniability for what’s happened to his mate.

Even if he has casually tossed the hand grenade into the Gold Coast camp by declaring he was keen to coach again.

It was categorically stated in 2021 and ’22 that Dew would be sacked, only for the Suns to back their man.

The backings are the same again, though this time the situation feels different.

The Suns haven’t improved year-on-year, haven’t minimised the seven-goal losses, haven’t thrived despite the return of star forward Ben King to straighten up their attack.

Gold Coast’s public narrative has been carefully worded and clever – continually backing in Dew without ever guaranteeing his contract for next season.

And yet if Dew can’t pull off a coaching miracle and drag the Suns into their maiden ­finals series this September, the decision ahead would be easy.

Especially given a payout to Dew for his 2024 contract might be $300,000 at best.

Hardwick has jetted overseas on his latest holiday for seven weeks and will be able to return with a decision already made on Dew’s tenure.

He can position his podcast comments last week as a throwaway line even as they made the public aware of what the Suns already knew – he was desperate to coach again next year.

And here is where the Hardwick timing kicks in again.

With three adult kids that don’t require him to endure the Melbourne fishbowl any more, he and partner Alexandra get to move to the Gold Coast where he inherits a list that is easily capable of securing him a sixth AFL flag.

Dew might feel stabbed in the back – especially after premiership coach Alastair Clarkson sniffed around the Suns last year – but Hardwick will be able to claim a clear conscience because he can deny his interest in the job until Dew’s position is decided.

How many coaches in recent memory have been part of a premiership dynasty then found a landing spot so full of potential?

Alastair Clarkson (four flags) was happy to do the hard yards at North Melbourne, Kevin Sheedy (four flags) went to the wild west of Sydney, Leigh Matthews favoured the media game.

The Suns are not the finished product but who wouldn’t want to coach this array of talent?

In the last five drafts alone the Suns have secured Bailey Humphrey (pick 6), Mac Andrew (pick 5), Elijah Hollands (pick 7), Matt Rowell (pick 1), Noah Anderson (pick 2), Sam Flanders (pick 11), Jack Lukosius (pick 2), Ben King (pick 6).

They will bring in a trio of Academy stars who are all considered possible top 10 picks – No. 1 contender Jed Walter, top 5 pick Ethan Read and small-statured but brilliant midfielder Jake Rogers.

And Hardwick is able to inherit the same elite talent that saw him able to coalesce Richmond’s list into something brilliant with its top-end talent in Alex Rance, Trent Cotchin, Shane Edwards, Jack Riewoldt and Dustin Martin.

There have been enough curve balls in the Gold Coast-Dew journey in these past few years but if push comes to shove it is hard to see how the Suns could ignore Hardwick given he seems so open to a move north.

https://www.codesports.com.au/afl/afl-360-view-damien-hardwick-will-be-hard-for-the-suns-to-ignore/news-story/5ac3a75f6dd10e562a6389489deb5284

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #191 on: July 05, 2023, 02:23:57 PM »
Brandon Ellis and Chol would be loving this.

I think it happens. Unfortunately it will leave a bad taste in the mouth but can't have our cake and eat it too. He is bound to be coaching again soon. If he gets appointed before the season out I'll say that's too soon but is what it is.
Go Tigers!

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #192 on: July 11, 2023, 09:26:59 AM »
Dimma clearly doesn’t like anything too old or slow. Jumps ship at first sign of aging.

Likes them young and vibrant with a tinge of carrot.  :shh

I think he’ll be at Gold Coast next season.  :rollin
Not such a stupid post now
 :rollin

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #193 on: July 11, 2023, 09:38:09 AM »
Dew just fired.

Makes you think GCS throwing the sink at Dimma.

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #194 on: July 11, 2023, 11:11:00 AM »
“THE MOST PREDICTABLE STORYLINE”: WHY HARDWICK TO THE SUNS ADDS UP

Andrew Slevison
SEN
11 July 2023

Whateley added: “It would be the least surprising development in football if Damien Hardwick was the coach of the Suns in October.”

Morris continued: “He’s got so many connections at that club as well from Richmond.

“Craig Cameron was at Richmond, he’s now the list manager at the Suns, Wayne Campbell is there, he’s got a connection with Mark Evans as well.

“There’s players like Brandon Ellis who was very close to Damien Hardwick at Richmond.

“Without wanting to say that it’s done, because I’ve got no idea whether it’s done or not, I’d be surprised if he’d agreed verbally or officially.

“It just seems like the most predictable storyline in football that Damien Hardwick will take over at the Gold Coast Suns for 2024 and beyond.”

Whateley pointed out that Hardwick would have had no interest in the Suns if Dew was still at the helm.

“The only way for that to happen was for the job to be vacant by the time he returned from Europe, because there’s no way that Damien Hardwick would have undermined Stuart Dew while he was actively in the job,” he added.

Morris replied, suggesting talks with Hardwick’s camp would have already been underway as Gold Coast’s Dew decision became clearer.

“Exactly right,” he said further.

“Gold Coast needed to make the call, maybe with a nod and a wink from Damien Hardwick’s manager. That’s the sort of thing that happens rather than Hardwick himself (holding talks).

“So the Suns saying they haven’t spoken to Hardwick is accurate, but it doesn’t mean the Suns haven’t got a nod and a wink from his manager Paul Connors or someone else close to Hardwick, which allows them to make the call on Stuart Dew knowing that Hardwick would be keen for that role.

“I’d be surprised that hasn’t happened here.”

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2023/07/11/the-most-predictable-storyline-why-hardwick-to-the-suns-adds-up/