Author Topic: Trade talk, rumours & innuendo 2024  (Read 40793 times)

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Trade talk, rumours & innuendo 2024
« Reply #120 on: June 22, 2024, 12:55:55 PM »
Trade Shai. Keep Bakes.

Bakes is out of contract, so he holds the aces here. Club wants to keep him but if he wants to go, then he will go. All about the best deal we can get. My personal view has been for a while now he will leave

Shai's contracted and I cannot see the Club trading him

Just my take

Does he? He isnt even a restricted free agent?

As long as we stay below Eagles on ladder, he can’t nominate for December draft without us getting in his way.

I am frankly getting tired of the loser talk approach of our supporters and the club toward players.
We need to shift from “it’s ok, a great opportunity for the kid” to “we developed him and will block any move unless we get full value”.

Make a statement with Baker to clubs, managers and player if he thinks he just waltz out of the club without us getting fair return - a top 10 pick.

I hated Dodoro but he made it extremely hard for players and clubs which is why he got a top 10 pick for Saad

“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #121 on: June 22, 2024, 01:36:45 PM »
 :bow Well said HRT.

He is a top 10 pick any day of the week. Club must make a stand here as we aren't winning a flag for 6-10 years, so this will keep happening.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #122 on: June 22, 2024, 07:26:40 PM »
Would anyone trade Shai to WC for pick 3 this year?

Offline OneEyedRichmond

• Future Richmond star
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #123 on: June 22, 2024, 07:34:19 PM »

Would do it in a heart beat.

Offline Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #124 on: June 22, 2024, 07:56:44 PM »

Would do it in a heart beat.
Let’s hope your heart beats once every 5/6 years.

Offline pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #125 on: June 22, 2024, 08:01:37 PM »
WC probably give that up for Baker

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #126 on: June 22, 2024, 08:21:30 PM »
Trade Shai. Keep Bakes.

Bakes is out of contract, so he holds the aces here. Club wants to keep him but if he wants to go, then he will go. All about the best deal we can get. My personal view has been for a while now he will leave

Just my take

As long as we stay below Eagles on ladder, he can’t nominate for December draft without us getting in his way.

I am frankly getting tired of the loser talk approach of our supporters and the club toward players.
We need to shift from “it’s ok, a great opportunity for the kid” to “we developed him and will block any move unless we get full value”.

Make a statement with Baker to clubs, managers and player if he thinks he just waltz out of the club without us getting fair return - a top 10 pick.

I hated Dodoro but he made it extremely hard for players and clubs which is why he got a top 10 pick for Saad

He certainly can nominate for the December draft. He has the advantage of being able to nominate at the terms of  his contract. So he can manipulate the system so he prices himself into a position where only his preferred club can fit him into the cap. It has happened before.

If he wants to go, then there's no point in keeping him. I will confess I've change my view on this over the years. It isn't "loser talk", it is just a case of believing if someone doesn't want to part of our Club, then let them go.

Get the best deal and let them go. Play hard ball on any deal absolutely! But end of the day if he chooses to leave the Club that took him a chance on him, then let him go because clearly the loyalty once spoken sbout no longer exists
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #127 on: June 22, 2024, 08:26:28 PM »
Yep sounds like Luke Ball

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #128 on: June 22, 2024, 09:23:11 PM »
Trade Shai. Keep Bakes.

Just my take

He certainly can nominate for the December draft. He has the advantage of being able to nominate at the terms of  his contract. So he can manipulate the system so he prices himself into a position where only his preferred club can fit him into the cap. It has happened before.

If he wants to go, then there's no point in keeping him. I will confess I've change my view on this over the years. It isn't "loser talk", it is just a case of believing if someone doesn't want to part of our Club, then let them go.

Get the best deal and let them go. Play hard ball on any deal absolutely! But end of the day if he chooses to leave the Club that took him a chance on him, then let him go because clearly the loyalty once spoken sbout no longer exists

You don’t let a bloke like Baker go for nothing.
Particularly when you have options that force the issue.

I have no idea why anyone would let someone go for nothing when they can block that move.
What is the logic? It does feel a bit loserish - my definition being that you are accepting your fate - not trying to bend it to your will
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #129 on: June 22, 2024, 10:54:03 PM »

You don’t let a bloke like Baker go for nothing.
Particularly when you have options that force the issue.

I have no idea why anyone would let someone go for nothing when they can block that move.
What is the logic? It does feel a bit loserish - my definition being that you are accepting your fate - not trying to bend it to your will

Where did suggest to let him go for nothing? I posted a number of times you get the best deal.

You're suggesting the Club risk letting him go through to PSD so they can re-deaft him. If he puts a price on his head that ends up meaning a front ended contract that we can't cover under the salary then we lose him for nothing.... is that a good result or is sending a message that misses the mark more important?

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #130 on: June 23, 2024, 08:15:56 AM »
I was referencing the comment that Baker had “all the aces” when in fact he does not. Far from it. The only ace that he has is that he is out of contract.
We are below both Perth clubs on the ladder and he isn’t a free agent so either club will have to trade.
Even if West Coast finish below us on the ladder, we can deal with Freo and I would still say his manager would be pushing a club like West Coast to do the right thing and trade. The trade game goes beyond one deal and many managers are on the record that playing this type of hardball isn’t viewed favourably across the industry.
So, we have aces, he has aces - if he wants to play that game he might be in for a rude shock

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #131 on: June 24, 2024, 01:58:55 PM »
TOM MORRIS' CONTRACTED AFL PLAYERS TO KEEP AN EYE ON IN THE TRADE PERIOD

SEN
24 June 2024

The status of a contracted player doesn’t necessarily mean they’ll stay put at their current club.

Channel 9 journalist and SEN regular Tom Morris has provided an update on a dozen contracted players who we should keep an eye on as the 2024 season progresses.

“At this time of the year, whenever you bring up contracted players, clubs invariably say, ‘Well, they’re contracted, they’re not going anywhere’,” Morris said on SEN Breakfast.

“I’ve done a bit of research and from 2018 to 2023 almost 50 per cent of players traded have been under contract. So don’t be fooled by clubs saying they’ve got a deal because often it doesn’t matter.

“What we saw last year was almost every single contracted player who wanted to go ended up moving clubs.”

Shai Bolton and Daniel Rioli (Richmond)

“Xander McGuire has reported Shai Bolton who is contracted until the end of 2028.

“Daniel Rioli is very close to (Gold Coast coach) Damien Hardwick, we know that.”

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2024/06/23/tom-morris-12-contracted-afl-players-to-keep-an-eye-on-in-the-trade-period/

The media regurgitating their own rumours  ::)

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
« Reply #132 on: June 25, 2024, 01:35:19 AM »
Hearing Baker & Bolton for Reid & WC's 2nd is definitely in play.... :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #133 on: June 25, 2024, 07:17:06 AM »
Hearing Baker & Bolton for Reid & WC's 2nd is definitely in play.... :shh

:invasion :jump :thatsgold

Offline yandb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #134 on: June 26, 2024, 12:51:59 PM »
Why are we discussing the possibility of Bake's shafting us he is a great club man and if he decided to go I believe it would be amicably.