Author Topic: Young Tigers primed to step up (SEN)  (Read 160 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Young Tigers primed to step up (SEN)
« on: March 08, 2024, 08:53:55 PM »
THE YOUNG TIGERS PRIMED TO STEP UP AND THE MIDFIELDER SET TO “SHOCK THE COMPETITION”

By Andrew Slevison
SEN
8 March 2024

Richmond will need contributions from the younger brigade if the club is to take any steps forward in 2024.

That is evident with most clubs who are attempting to recover quickly after a successful era. It is also the opinion of star midfielder Tim Taranto who is entering his second season with the Tigers.

There is a changing of the guard at Punt Road after the departure of veterans Trent Cotchin and Jack Riewoldt and Taranto knows how important the next generation will be in reinvigorating things under new coach Adem Yze.

One youngster who has stood out to Taranto in particular is rookie draftee Seth Campbell who has made enormous strides this off-season.

The 19-year-old Tasmanian small forward will make his AFL debut against Gold Coast this Saturday after working his way back from an injury-ravaged 2023.

“We’ve been crying out for some young players to put some pressure on,” Taranto told reporters ahead of Saturday’s Opening Round clash with the Suns.

“Seth is one of them, Thomson Dow, Tyler Sonsie, Steely Green (as well) - these half-forwards who can run all day and really help the structure. They’re going to be really important for us this year.

“He (Campbell) had a really good game on the weekend (last week against Collingwood), so did Steely, and Sonsie had a great game against Melbourne the week before.

“I think these guys are what’s going to help us become a better team. Seth’s had a great pre-season and hopefully his body holds up.”

Campbell had nine touches and four score involvements in a busy outing against the Pies in the Community Series on February 27.

Another young Tiger who Taranto has seen first-hand over the summer is Thomson Dow.

Last year the 22-year-old added four games to his AFL tally, which now sits at 17 matches, and he is primed to play a pivotal role in the engine room in 2024.

Taranto feels the 2019 draftee could take the league by storm while backing his old Giants teammate Jacob Hopper to step up after an injury-interrupted debut season in yellow and black.

“We’ve got a lot of mids coming through,” Taranto added.

“Thomson Dow has been outstanding. I think he’s going to shock the competition.

“If Hopper can stay healthy then that’s another big addition.

“‘Bakes’ (Liam Baker) and ‘Duz’ (Dustin Martin) get through there as well, so whatever mix helps us win that’s really all that matters.”

A more established Tiger, while still on the younger side, is Shai Bolton.

The 25-year-old looms as one of the club’s most important figures this year and the Tigers will be hoping he can return to his All-Australian best, even after a strong 2023.

But has Bolton got another level to find?

“Yeah definitely,” said Taranto.

“I’ve never seen anything like it. He’s so good, whether it’s in the front half or the midfield.

“He’s such a talent and if he can step up five per cent from last year it’s going to be a big difference for us.”

The Tigers kick off their 2024 campaign against Damien Hardwick’s Suns at Heritage Bank Stadium on Saturday, but Taranto is not treating the match any differently despite the triple premiership coach’s presence.

They then meet arch rival Carlton at the MCG in Round 1 in what is a busy beginning to the new season.

“I’m certainly not as close to him (Hardwick) as some other boys so it’s not really an emotional game for me,” Taranto said further.

“It’s just another game, stock standard, and we’ve got a five-day break after that into another game so it’s all business from now on.”

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2024/03/08/the-young-tigers-primed-to-step-up-and-the-midfielder-set-to-shock-the/