Author Topic: Revisiting the 2004 draft .  (Read 1150 times)

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Revisiting the 2004 draft .
« on: August 30, 2024, 04:05:47 PM »
Ah memories. The last time we had a decent hand in the draft . No less than 5 picks in the top 20.

Pick 1 - Brett Deledio, best and fairest winner but will always be remembered as the guy who played his 250th against the Tigers in a Preliminary final .

Pick 4 - Richard Tambling , the slow burning battler we all waited patiently to become the next Andrew McCloud who faded into oblivion after 100 torturous games .

Pick 12 - Danny Meyer - can anyone remember this bloke . What a wasted pick .

Pick 16 - Adam Pattison . Not a ruckman , not a forward .  60 games of nothingness.

Pick 20 - Dean Polo . Well it was an impressive debut.

We did get good service out of Luke Mcguane who came in at pick 37 .

Other notables who were drafted by other clubs who spent some time at Richmond.

Ivan Maric - a great addition in more ways than one .
Adam Thomson - 😂😂
Mitch Morton - did some good things
Chris Knights - looked good in yellow and black for the 6 games he played for us .

We can only hope 20 years later that the club won’t waste this golden opportunity again .

Unleash the tornado

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Founding member of the Fab 5
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
Re: Revisiting the 2004 draft .
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2024, 04:50:07 PM »
Tbh I had forgotten Deledio played his 250th against us

Think he'll be remembered as a great footballer
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Online Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2024, 05:47:17 PM »
Think we put a bit more time into the draft these days then we did back in possum shyte days.......no Greg "VHS" Miller still living off that one time he stumbled across a future superstar at a primary school footy carnival 15 years ago running the show for a start........  :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Simonator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2024, 06:00:13 PM »
This is pretty much the worst case scenario for this draft.

Would like to think our culture could develop the picks better too

Online Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2024, 07:02:06 PM »
Deledio far better than that assessment
How ridiculous

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2024, 05:31:25 PM »
On another site at one stage  i had us taking Deledio 1, Franklin 4, Lewis 12, and Monfries at 16.

It changed as we got closer to the day though. I talked myself out of Buddy because of all the so called bad attitude rumours. Should have known better.

IN fairness to all recruiters 2004 must have been one of the worst drafts as far as quality and depth went.

Trouble was it did not improve in 2005. the Francis Jackson special in JON. Hughes and Casserly with our first three picks.
Varcoe and i can't for the life of me remember who i had pencilled in at 8. Must have been a forgettable bust.
I went Varcoe because all the talk was we wanted a h/b running type. Mitch Clarke was another i overlooked because of bad attitude on that one i was right.Being a shark supporter i had good insight there.
Ibbotson at 24 and Andrew Swallow at 40. Two kids who played for  the Sharks.

Not a bad draft 2005  for East Freo.  4 Kennedy, 7 paddy Ryder, 9 Clarke, 26 Ibbotson, 40 Swallow.

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2024, 12:16:25 AM »
15 other clubs would have drafted Lids at 1. He is one of the best Number 1 picks that has been drafted. I hate how he gets caught up in the Buddy / Tambling conversation. He was always the best player in the draft, and his likeness to Chris Judd who everyone was raving about was insane.

It was actually quite similar to the Harley Reid hype with similarties to Dusty, with the don't argue and strength for such a young player. Lids had pace to burn and with his height and foot skills he was screaming the next Judd. He was an outstanding player.

Tambling again, was rated so highly just about every single prediction was him at number 2. Him being at 4 seemed a huge steal, and with our key forward stocks we didn't need to draft one so passing on Franklin seemed fairly clever drafting. Ended up we missed out on 1000 goals and the rest is history.

I'm adament if the 15 other clubs were in our shoes, with our list stocks, they all draft the same as we did with Lids and Tambling. The other picks were just poor and our development went to the dogs.
Go Tigers!

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2024, 07:37:03 AM »
Lids might have struggled in the player interview part of today’s testing. Still might have gone at 1 and probably top 5 but that’s more of a factor. Let’s not forget we let him go and went on to win 3 flags
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2024, 09:19:19 AM »
Lids was a good player but in hindsight I would have preferred Roughead.

A super draft year. Oh to have a crystal ball.

We traded Fiora for Simmonds, who I rated. A good trade. Losing Ottens sucked badly.

The dream draft:
1 Roughead, just to secure him.
4 Franklin
12 Van Berlo
16 Rosa
20 LeCras
36 Maric
52 Knights

Rookie
1 Gibson
17 Morris
33 Grundy
47 Edwards

Simmonds #1 ruck with Maric to develop.

Franklin and Roughead coming in with Richo still around.

Some mids in Van Berlo, Rosa, not world beaters but solid.

Some useful forwards in LeCras, Knights Edwards.

And one heck of a Rookie backline in Josh Gibson, Dale Morris and Heath Grundy - honestly insane to see those 3 were all Rookied!

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2024, 02:56:18 PM »

We traded Fiora for Simmonds, who I rated. A good trade. Losing Ottens sucked badly.

The dream draft:
4 Franklin
12 Van Berlo
16 Rosa
20 LeCras
36 Maric
52 Knights

Rookie
1 Gibson
17 Morris
33 Grundy
47 Edwards

And one heck of a Rookie backline in Josh Gibson, Dale Morris and Heath Grundy - honestly insane to see those 3 were all Rookied!

Gibson in his own admission said Clarkson told him to “fit in or stuff off” when he had an off field misdemeanour and the rest is history. We would have nuffed his development . Also didn’t Franklin need a minder and hence “buddy” because he could have gone the Harley Bennell route? I seriously think I’m 2001, we could have had hodge Mitchell Ablett and judd and we would have still been bottom 4 because our club was that poorly run

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2024, 03:02:19 PM »

The dream draft:
4 Franklin
12 Van Berlo
16 Rosa
20 LeCras
36 Maric
52 Knights

Rookie
1 Gibson
17 Morris
33 Grundy
47 Edwards

Gibson in his own admission said Clarkson told him to “fit in or stuff off” when he had an off field misdemeanour and the rest is history. We would have nuffed his development . Also didn’t Franklin need a minder and hence “buddy” because he could have gone the Harley Bennell route? I seriously think I’m 2001, we could have had hodge Mitchell Ablett and judd and we would have still been bottom 4 because our club was that poorly run

So many variables, but bottom line, sometimes clubs draft poorly and the potential has already peaked and they won't improve, regardless of club.

Sometimes it's amusing to look at who you could have had knowing they had the potential in hindsight.

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2024, 05:23:01 PM »
15 other clubs would have drafted Lids at 1. He is one of the best Number 1 picks that has been drafted. I hate how he gets caught up in the Buddy / Tambling conversation. He was always the best player in the draft, and his likeness to Chris Judd who everyone was raving about was insane.

It was actually quite similar to the Harley Reid hype with similarties to Dusty, with the don't argue and strength for such a young player. Lids had pace to burn and with his height and foot skills he was screaming the next Judd. He was an outstanding player.

Tambling again, was rated so highly just about every single prediction was him at number 2. Him being at 4 seemed a huge steal, and with our key forward stocks we didn't need to draft one so passing on Franklin seemed fairly clever drafting. Ended up we missed out on 1000 goals and the rest is history.

I'm adament if the 15 other clubs were in our shoes, with our list stocks, they all draft the same as we did with Lids and Tambling. The other picks were just poor and our development went to the dogs.

Don't remember Tambling being rated so highly. One knock was judging him being a div 2 prospect against div 1 prospects. Many had grave concerns including me.

Quite clearly we were into Roughhead but opened our traps.

Buddy Franklin as a junior was sensational given his height. The only knock on him was he was  supposed to be a poor trainer he liked parties more. That turned out to be an absolute Furphy i would not be surprised if Hawthorn started that rumour themselves.

Two clubs over looked Tambling Griffen pick and the Roughead pick.

The dream draft:
4 Franklin
12 Van Berlo
16 Rosa
20 LeCras
36 Maric
52 Knights

Rookie
1 Gibson
17 Morris
33 Grundy
47 Edwards

I know Jordan Lewis is a bit of a knob but those players after pick 4 in front of him Really.

Their was  only about 7 players taken in the top 20 that you would call passes. The best 5 went in the first 7 picks. After that very slim pickings indeed. Very shallow draft indeed.

It was not a draft to have 5 top twenty picks. Shows just how poorly run we were. We traded out of one of the strongest drafts of all time for an aging ruckman and three years later in a pee poor draft we had to trade for another ruckman.
They had no idea and it did not get any better real soon.

Online Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2024, 07:12:53 PM »

The only knock on him was he was  supposed to be a poor trainer he liked parties more. That turned out to be an absolute Furphy i would not be surprised if Hawthorn started that rumour themselves.

lol 😂
A furphy?

He was that bad partying at the start that Hawthorn employed a full time minder to keep him in line. This is common knowledge.

but it’s as far from a furphy as there is
« Last Edit: September 25, 2024, 09:42:07 PM by WilliamPowell »

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2024, 09:01:28 PM »

The only knock on Craw is that if it’s Richmond, it’s our fault, if it’s another club they nailed it
« Last Edit: September 25, 2024, 09:43:12 PM by WilliamPowell »
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2024, 09:50:55 PM »
SNIP and Edits

:banghead

You all know the rules around unsubstantiated rumours

And please "common knowledge" doesn't mean a rumour has been proven or reported

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)