Author Topic: Jake King [merged]  (Read 108548 times)

FNM

Re: Jake King [merged]
« Reply #210 on: July 12, 2010, 07:47:20 AM »
Dan is going great IMO, really happy with his game on the weekend
Not sure where all the angst for his is coming from  ???

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #211 on: July 12, 2010, 09:57:00 AM »
I think deep down that WP really does like young Dan........................but likes him like a father does a son - giving little praise and always pointing out the mistakes to push the son harder and harder.  It's ok WP, we can see your plan!   ;D

:lol :lol that's a good one smokey but............ er Nope  ;D

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #212 on: July 12, 2010, 12:26:40 PM »
I think Connors was rooted WP. Lookd like he was blowing pretty hard.

All well and good but sometimes you have to will your self to keep going. Unfortunately for young Dan it doesn't appear to be on of his strong points during games  ;D

the lad did get the footy 35 times lol ... not a bad effort at this stage of the proceedings  ;D

I know Ramps but look at the ones he butchered - that's my issue.

Best one i can highlight (and I have somewhere else) was that shocking kick in the finally quarter coming out of HB when he kicked (under very little pressure) 30 metres to no-one on the wing  >:(

COuld have been very costly, fortuntely for him and us it wasn't but it was just terrible and every kick like that undoes the 3 or 4 good ones IMHO
Sorry WP, the guy would have been absolutely buggered. He's in his 17th game of AFL, only his 2nd back from club suspension and there was no one on the bench to rotate him for a rest. I'd like to see anyone try and kick with pinpoint precision when they are out on their feet.
Herculean effort from Connors and the entire team yesterday. You're being far too harsh this time around.

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #213 on: July 12, 2010, 12:38:15 PM »
When Connors learns our structures and where our players are running too his kicks will have a higher efficiency rating. We have to remember he's only been back for what 3-4 games learning the new team game plan and structure. This will happen with game time.

In round 4 everyone struggled to kick to our game plan.

He can get the ball 35 times with penetrating disposal by foot is a good base.
Go Tigers!

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #214 on: July 12, 2010, 07:51:16 PM »
Sorry WP, the guy would have been absolutely buggered. He's in his 17th game of AFL, only his 2nd back from club suspension and there was no one on the bench to rotate him for a rest. I'd like to see anyone try and kick with pinpoint precision when they are out on their feet.
Herculean effort from Connors and the entire team yesterday. You're being far too harsh this time around.

They were all absolutely "buggered" but some (read in particular Cotchin) willed themselves for that extra effort

And BTW Connors has been back 4 weeks came back for the WCE game and let's not forget he played for Coburg (bar 2 games) for his entire Club suspension

Each to their own  ;D

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #215 on: July 12, 2010, 08:08:35 PM »

They were all absolutely "buggered" but some (read in particular Cotchin) willed themselves for that extra effort

And BTW Connors has been back 4 weeks came back for the WCE game and let's not forget he played for Coburg (bar 2 games) for his entire Club suspension

Each to their own  ;D

clearly you have a personal issue with Connors because im not sure how you can fault his game. He was in the votes and played the perfect game.

you talk about willing yourself for that extra effort well there are certain players who you defend most weeks who dont do half the running that Connors did on Saturday night. His best game for the club by far Saturday night

He was not only in the votes he could easily be best on ground. Its so obvious why Dimma speaks so highly of him.

Connors and Lids are the most important pair in the back half.
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

TigerTimeII

« Reply #216 on: July 12, 2010, 08:23:30 PM »
dan ran harder in the last quarter than anyone, he had 11 possessions in that term and created many attacking rebounds and drive from defence

cotchin was good in the last quarter also but dan was fantastic for 4 quarters as was lids and newman  and webberley

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #217 on: July 12, 2010, 10:05:12 PM »
clearly you have a personal issue with Connors because im not sure how you can fault his game. He was in the votes and played the perfect game.

that's very funny daniel

I am critical of young Dan and I have a personal issue with him  :lol

However, when you bag blokes; it's not personal - as I said it's funny

What's even funnier though is if we had lost I reckon the majority on here would have had both Farmer & Connors in the gun for their respective turn overs in the final quarter

And if he's game was perfect he would have had 100% disposal efficiency  :rollin

Online wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #218 on: July 13, 2010, 09:41:03 AM »

What's even funnier though is if we had lost I reckon the majority on here would have had both Farmer & Connors in the gun for their respective turn overs in the final quarter

Connors did make some shocking errors, but he also made up for them with some good.

If he can get rid of the bad (hopefully with experience) then he'll be a gun.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #219 on: July 16, 2010, 05:28:46 AM »
No more fighting but I can still sledge

* Jon Ralph
  * Herald Sun
  * July 16, 2010

A MAN'S got to know his limitations, as Harry Callahan stated so famously in Magnum Force.

For four turbulent seasons Jake King's glaring shortcomings have been on show for all to see, and twice they have nearly cost him his career.

If King wasn't punching on with an opponent, he was attempting the impossible with foot skills he freely admits are liable to let him down.

"We all know I haven't got the best skills in the world," he conceded with a laugh.

This week the rugged, straight-shooting 26-year-old will run on to the MCG against North Melbourne for his 50th game of AFL football.

That is an achievement in itself. But for King, the bigger celebration is that he has been able to curve his natural instincts and hone his strengths enough to play a key role in Richmond's recent fightback.

Suspended for a NAB Cup practice match stoush with Travis Cloke, then barely sighted until Round 9, King has returned to play a role in the run of five wins from six games.

And the motivation to control his fiery streak has come from the most unlikely of sources.

"You have to find that point where you can be competitive and aggressive, but you just can't be stupid. I have had to work really hard on pushing the boundaries as best I can without going over the line," King said this week.

"Everyone knows there are times when I struggle to keep it on the right side. If I want to play footy, it's something I have to do.

"The coach tells me about it pretty much every week. It's got to the stage where he has now handed the reins over to his lovely partner Mrs Hardwick (wife Danielle).

"Every time I misbehave, I have to deal with her. She will let me know during the week. There is not much you can say back to her.

"She comes over and says what she has to say, and you cop it and walk away."

Recruited from the Diamond Valley league via Coburg, the fiery temperament that first saw King prosper quickly became a liability.

The first career crisis was averted when the sacking of Terry Wallace saw King reinstated in the seniors.

But a Round 20 suspension last year for striking Alan Didak was quickly followed by the pre-season incident with Cloke, then another VFL suspension.

When King languished in the VFL upon his return, he again thought his AFL career might be over.

"The start of the season was tough because I pretty much got myself out of the team for being an idiot in the NAB Cup," he said.

"Then I went back to the reserves and got suspended again. Then I thought, 'This is it, there is no more'. It is actually the boys around me who help.

''I am allowed to use words, but if the boys see me unhappy or if something has bobbed up, they are straight over to me to put me back in my place.

"They aren't nice, they just call it like it is, and I put my hand up and stop overstepping the line."

Next week Richmond will again face Collingwood, but King is confident he will stay focused, despite his previous clashes with Cloke and Didak.

Richmond was irate that Cloke was seen to have "dobbed" on King after their March altercation, but King has moved on.

"It was a little bit (frustrating), but it was my own stupidity. I have got myself to blame. When I screw up, I am happy to admit I have screwed up," he said.

"If I was in his shoes, I wouldn't be happy when someone laid hands on me."

If King has been labelled of something of a turnover merchant, he has learnt to minimise his weaknesses, too. So much so that Hardwick has been able to use him as a midfield tagger, lock-down player in defence, and defensive forward.

"My skills aren't elite, but they are acceptable," King said.

"(Midfield coach) Wayne Campbell has worked a hell of a lot with me over the off-season and it's just doing the hard things to get the ball and give it to the blokes who use it outstandingly.

''Now a lot of my clangers are with free kicks. The game is changing a lot, so the next thing is to pull them back a bit."

King knows Richmond fans love him and opposition fans can't stand him. His teammates tell him about the vitriol from rival supporters when they sit in the stands. He is fine with that.

"If I go through my footy career with Richmond people loving me and everyone disliking me, I have done my job," he said.

King's only concern is for his family, who are there watching him every week.

"My family cop a bit of crap. Everyone seems to have an opinion about me," he said.

"A lot of people don't realise my family is so close and they get to see and hear everything. I just feel sorry for them.

''My little brother is only 16 and he hears everything and he loves his football, so I get more upset for him. But they have been beside me all the way, so I couldn't thank them any more."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/no/story-e6frf9jf-1225892414983

Offline tiger till i die

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #220 on: August 21, 2010, 09:36:31 PM »
I have always like Jake even when every one else didn't .. it proves you need heart for this game and he has got plenty of it and is now showing it on the field.

On ya Kingy !! :gotigers

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #221 on: August 21, 2010, 09:40:51 PM »
Yeah hats off to him, really appreciating his consistency in his game. 11 goals in 5 games. Thats impressive.

Without being negative the issues of kicking efficiency are still there his left shoe had 2 clangers today, if he can get the ball on his right boot more often than not King has been super, good on him.
Go Tigers!

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #222 on: August 21, 2010, 10:04:36 PM »
He has worked on his deficiencies as well as his strengths and this year has proved me wrong.
Allways loved his grunt, now becoming one of my favourites. Actually most of this team are my favourites  ;D

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #223 on: August 21, 2010, 10:39:03 PM »
I don't see Kingy as part of our future long term but credit where it's due for his game today. One of his best for the Club.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #224 on: August 21, 2010, 11:22:13 PM »
The Fifth Quarter showed Jakey going toe-to-toe with our boxing coach John Vickery (Ty's dad) during the warm-up in the rooms. Funny stuff  ;D
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd