Author Topic: Jake King [merged]  (Read 108423 times)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Jake King [merged]
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2007, 09:04:03 PM »
Diamond in the rough  :cheers
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Gordon Bennett

« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2007, 11:26:09 AM »
I liked him last year at Coburg. I didn't expect him to step up to AFL level so comfortably.

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2007, 11:28:30 AM »

Seems like we draft very well in the rookie draft.

IE Foley, Thirsty, Kingy

Offline 1980

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2007, 01:54:33 PM »
He's got pace, he's got confidence, he's got good evasion skills, and he is a quick thinker with the ball.

I like him a lot

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2007, 06:34:22 PM »

Seems like we draft very well in the rookie draft.

IE Foley, Thirsty, Kingy
We haven't used the rookie list to our advantage until only the past couple of years. Tivs, Howat and Moore are also ex-rookies.

http://oneeyed-richmond.com/forum//index.php?topic=4179.0
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2007, 06:45:56 PM »
Hopefully Tasmania and Gus come good and continue this good form of rookie list drafting

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2007, 11:59:17 PM »
When I saw Kingy for the first time in the trial match at Canberra I was extremely impressed and have been a fan ever since.
He has a unique composure and confidence in tight situations not seen in many our current list.  :thumbsup 

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2007, 03:46:52 PM »
Jakey has great tenactiy, but would like to see him polish his kicking a bit more, can be a bit iffy. Also would like to see him add more power to his kicking. Seems to lack a bit of penetration when kicking long, ala Edwards

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2007, 06:40:03 PM »
Defender serves it up
4:11 PM Wed 20 June, 2007 | BACK
By Greg Lange
for richmondfc.com.au

King’s no-fuss attitude towards pasta is indicative of the way he is tackling his first season of AFL football.

The 23-year-old simply wants to “have a crack and leave nothing in the tank by the end of the year”. He is quite literally taking things one week at a time.

It’s easy to work out why King is adopting a week-by-week approach particularly when you take into account his pre-season chat with Terry Wallace.

“He [Wallace] pretty much said we will give you a go, but, there is no time for you to settle in and develop like the 18-year-olds. You either have a go and make it, or you don’t,” King explained.

For some players, such a ‘love-filled’ chat may have sent them into panic mode, but for King, it was exactly what he wanted to hear from his new coach.

“I was actually pretty happy because by him saying what he did, it meant he was actually going to give me a chance. Therefore, the ball was in my court,” he said.

Unlike many new recruits, King arrived onto the AFL scene via a five-year apprenticeship in the Diamond Valley Football League with North Heidelberg; a playing history the elevated rookie believes was instrumental in helping him secure a spot on the Tigers 2007 list.

King said his unusual route to the AFL did him no favors in overcoming his achilles heal – his on-field discipline.

“Playing Diamond Valley it was pretty physical and if someone had a crack at you, you would have a crack back at them; you wouldn’t stand down,” King explained.

“I always did what the coach told me, but, when I was on the field and someone was going at me all the time, I would eventually lose my temper.”

King said the fact he played alongside three of his step dad’s brothers, who were all over 182cm, didn’t help things either.

“I guess that is why I probably had such a big mouth; because I knew I always had someone backing me up,” he joked.

Luckily, King found himself playing with the Coburg Tigers last year, a stint that doubled as an anger-management course. 

“Last year in the VFL, knowing that there were cameras everywhere, you knew you could not muck around at all. So, it made it easier to just concentrate on playing football,” he explained.

“Because of the camera coverage I was also able to sit down and watch tapes and go over the game. The coaches pointed out to me that my opponent would usually only start having a go at me when I started to play well. So now, I take it as a compliment.”

After starting the season with loose plans to break into the team towards the “end of the year”, King finds himself with eight games under his belt – pretty good considering he was picked up in the second round of the 2006 NAB AFL Rookie Draft.

With a fresh and controlled attitude King heads into Friday night’s game against Melbourne averaging 16 disposals per game and confident the Tigers can grab their first win of the season.

“Although we have not won a game, we are all still excited and very positive and hoping to get the result we want,” he said.

Full article at: http://richmondfc.com.au/Season2007/News/NewsArticle/tabid/6301/Default.aspx?newsId=45587

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2007, 03:10:21 AM »
Pipe dream becomes reality for Richmond plumber
Malcolm Conn
The Australian
June 22, 2007

MOST young AFL players arrive at the highest level with football's equivalent of the silver spoon. For Richmond's Jake King it was a copper pipe.
Tigers coach Terry Wallace still chuckles at stories of when King first arrived at Punt Road. There were times when players had to wake him on massage tables to train because of his early starts and tough days as a plumber.

A generation ago even the best football teams were full of plumbers, carpenters and other tradesmen making a living between training a couple of times a week and playing on Saturdays.

In this professional era, the preferred pathway of drafting the best young talent through elite under-aged competitions means many teenagers make the seamless transition to the big league, and sometimes six-figure salaries, without playing against men or doing a day's work.

Wallace said he was unconcerned taking a punt on a 23-year-old suburban footballer.

"They've come through the school of hard knocks and relish the chance to have a crack at it," Wallace said this week.

"Some guys who have everything handed to them on a platter think it's their divine right. These guys don't think it's a divine right and will fight for every opportunity that they get."

King reminds Wallace of St Kilda's relentless tagger Steven Baker. "He's super competitive, has good leg speed and more than adequate endurance," he said.

The emergence of King, a spirited and lively running defender, is one of the few pieces of good news from Punt Road during a lean season, which has seen the Tigers fail to win a match in the first 11 rounds, despite being competitive in most of them. Two points for a draw against Brisbane is all they have to show at the halfway point.

King believes he would still be playing for North Heidelberg in Melbourne's Diamond Valley league had his family and coach not pushed him to take the next step. After winning the local premiership in 2005, he was invited to do a pre-season at Essendon but the Bombers were concerned the leap from suburban football would be too great.

Andy Collins, the former Hawthorn premiership defender now coaching Richmond's VFL affiliate Coburg, had seen King take on much bigger opponents playing at centre half-back in that Diamond Valley grand final and liked his competitive nature.

That admiration only grew after Collins invited King to play with Coburg last season, where he won the club's best and fairest.

"He's a wonderful story, a beautiful human being," Collins said. "He was a ratbag who came from the wrong side of the fence. He was very street smart but struggled for academic motivation and the disciplines our society imposes on its youth.

"But he has passion, he's strong willed and he has great discipline when it comes to trying to achieve his goals."

Collins recalls being concerned matching King up against seasoned AFL players dropped back to, or returning from injury through, the VFL, wondering how a suburban footballer would cope.

"Jake would say 'don't worry, Andy, I don't know who he is'. He was more involved in local footy," Collins said.

Wallace believes the demands of a plumbing apprenticeship played a big part in King's failure to succeed with the Northern Knights' elite under-18 team in the TAC Cup, but King puts it far more bluntly. "Basically I was a smart arse," he said. "I wouldn't listen to anyone. I was growing up with my mates and I couldn't be told. I was doing my own thing."

King believes the worst trait of his game was a bad temper but says it has improved with the maturity of becoming a qualified plumber and having to oversee up to four men on some jobs. "There was a lot of responsibility on the job site. I had to start thinking about other people," he said.

That temper, according to Collins, has been channelled into making King one of the most competitive players in the AFL.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,20867,21946278-2722,00.html

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2007, 07:18:47 AM »
It's a shame Jake is an older rookie. He would be close to a rising star nomination if he was eligible. Good awareness, a footy brain and doesn't take a backward step.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2007, 07:48:05 AM »
It's a shame Jake is an older rookie. He would be close to a rising star nomination if he was eligible. Good awareness, a footy brain and doesn't take a backward step.

Agreed, over the past couple of weeks (except last night cos I couldn't see it) Kingy has really impressed me  :clapping

Online wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #42 on: June 23, 2007, 11:28:30 AM »

Agreed, over the past couple of weeks (except last night cos I couldn't see it) Kingy has really impressed me  :clapping

He was one of the best 3 on ground till halftime, and was in our best 6 at the end of the night
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Moi

« Reply #43 on: June 23, 2007, 11:46:02 AM »

He was one of the best 3 on ground till halftime, and was in our best 6 at the end of the night

Agreed.  His first half he was easily BOG IMO, faded a bit in the second but was a pretty good game.  Just luv him  :thumbsup

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2007, 01:47:35 PM »
Plough gave Kingy the unsung hero praise this week – "it was his ability to at least fight for the jumper and show real pride, while others floated around the field."