Author Topic: Jake King [merged]  (Read 107181 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Jake King [merged]
« on: December 12, 2006, 12:17:18 PM »
Coburg website article on King from August:

All Hail The King
August 7, 2006
coburgtigers.com.au

All hail the King Tiger proves a surprise packet in debut year.

Andy Collins jokes that the Coburg Tigers have been trying to keep recruit Jake King under wraps. However, it’s tough to do, when King, 22, consistently finds his way into Coburg’s best players.

At Cricket Victoria, where Collins is the career and welfare manager, there is a program called ‘diamonds in the rough’. This term is certainly applicable to King.

As Collins explained, not everyone has to come through the conventional system. Collins believes you could go to a local football match on any given weekend and if you spoke to the right people, they would be able to identify the special players in the competition. “If you think if they are young enough and have a really good
upside to them, then why not? All this boy (King) wanted was a chance,” Collins said.

King made his way to the City Oval after being North Heidelberg’s best player in its 2005 premiership. It was a performance that saw him invited to do a pre-season with Essendon, but, when things didn’t pan out at Windy Hill, Collins was quick to swoop.

King came through the Northern Knights program in the TAC Cup, but his exposure was restricted to just three games because of stress fractures to his back. He then headed to North Heidelberg.

So, just how did King slip underneath the radar for so long? King is unsure. He wonders if it was simply a case of no one wanting to take a chance, as he doesn’t think he has improved dramatically, but rather matured.“I did my own thing before, but now I’m listening to people,” King said. “It’s weird. I’ve played the game for 10 years now and you think you know a fair bit about it, but this year has been incredible in how much I have learned.”

King credits Collins for bringing the best out of him. He said the Coburg Tigers coach was extremely positive and encouraging in how he approached not only himself, but all of the players. Collins, a genius at identifying young talent, believes King’s form warrants him being looked at seriously by AFL clubs at this year’s draft, as he played the back pocket the way it should be played. In an unqualified endorsement of King, Collins noted: “I look at him and think, ‘I wish I played the back pocket like that’ – and I played a few AFL games (212)’.

“Jake plays it pretty tough and quick and fair, and he has good hands and he is a good kick. He still has a lot to learn about the game, but in one way that is really promising, because he was never in the system. “I’m really excited to coach a kid like that.” This excitement is quite possibly shared by an increasing number of
AFL recruiting scouts.

http://coburgtigers.footballvic.com.au/default.aspx?s=newsdisplay&aid=110426

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Jake King [merged]
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2006, 12:36:30 PM »
Pick of Jake King from training last Wednesday with Browny and Krak:

Bulluss

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2006, 08:13:55 PM »
Maybe that's deceptive, but if that's Browny his arms look HUGE

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2006, 09:53:36 PM »

While getting back to full fitness from his bunged up leg, Browny has been into upper body weights although he is running along King and Krak in that pic  ;). Foley, Lids and to a lesser extent Rainesy are also bigger across the shoulders, chest and biceps. I don't think we'll get pushed off the ball in the midfield so much next year.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2006, 10:01:22 PM »

I don't think we'll get pushed off the ball in the midfield so much next year.

That will be my Christmas present  :santa

Moi

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2006, 10:30:35 PM »
Rainesy are also bigger across the shoulders, chest and biceps.
Yep, is looking very lean but stronger in those areas  :thumbsup
Not that i looked  :o

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2006, 08:37:12 AM »
Impressive :thumbsup

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2006, 02:52:20 PM »
King played back pocket again today at training. He first had Browny then Tuck and finally Tambling. A nice combo for his session as a official Tiger.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2006, 06:00:05 PM »
King a Tiger on the rise
2:25:22 PM Thu 14 December, 2006
Paul Gough
Sportal for afl.com.au

New Richmond rookie Jacob King can certainly be classified as having undergone a meteoric rise into the big time.

Wallace said King's playing style would appeal greatly to Richmond fans.

"He is a small back pocket player and I suppose if you liken him to anyone he plays a bit similarly to Baker at St Kilda and if he can do anywhere near as good a job as he does, he will be a fantastic player for this footy club."

"He is a real warrior in the way he goes about his footy and now he gets his chance and that is pleasing."

Wallace said the decision to give King a place on the rookie list also showed how serious the Tigers are taking their association with Coburg.

"The other pleasing thing for us is we have always seen our VFL club as being not a place to park senior, mature age players because we see it as being a development area," he said.

Full article at: http://richmondfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=310103

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2006, 07:22:06 PM »
Good thinking Tezza - the number of kids that when they miss out on being drafted and find their way from the TAC cup to the VFL is amazing and some need that extra couple of years to develop. The VFL gives them that chance and with all the alignments there is always someone from the AFL watching

And if I haven't said it before....

Onya Jake :thumbsup really deserves this chance  :clapping

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2006, 08:02:10 PM »
We certainly need more Tigers with a bit of mongrel in them but I wish that article compared him to someone like Josh Carr or Kirk rather than a cheapshot sniper like Baker who goes missing in finals. 

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2007, 12:51:53 AM »
how do we think Jake King is going ???

i am not sure about him ...

not really a fan ...

Offline tigersalive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2007, 04:08:02 PM »
I like him.  He's a tough defender that gets in and under and as far as I can tell tries his guts out and isnt afraid of confrontation.  But he does need to refine those skills a little.

I wish we had more with the attitude of him though.  :thumbsup
EAT EM ALIVE!

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2007, 06:33:22 PM »
King deserves to be in the side because of his never say die attitude and he can get the footy. His lack of penetration/depth in his kicking will probably hurt him in the long run though.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2007, 06:41:23 PM »
Jake deserves to be there because he goes into help at teammate. Always willing to shepherd and those little team oriented things that no one pays any attention to

A few of his teammates could take a few lessons :thumbsup
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)