Author Topic: Jack Riewoldt - Triple Coleman medallist [merged]  (Read 472816 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Jack Riewoldt - Triple Coleman medallist [merged]
« Reply #3885 on: September 06, 2022, 07:47:46 PM »
He confirmed on 360 that he’s agreed a deal for next season  :thumbsup
Cheers for that, TK  :thumbsup

Jack Riewoldt agrees to terms on a new deal with Richmond!!

Watch here: https://twitter.com/FOXFOOTY/status/1567084880605097985

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3886 on: September 06, 2022, 07:55:39 PM »
On the RFC website now.

Three-time Richmond premiership forward Jack Riewoldt will return to the Club in 2023, putting pen to paper on a fresh contract this week.

Riewoldt booted 40 goals from 21 games this year, the 11th occasion in his 16-year career he has booted 40 or more goals in a season.

The 33-year-old was one of Richmond’s best players in the Elimination Final defeat to Brisbane, kicking three goals, including two in the final term.

Riewoldt’s forward partnership with Tom Lynch remains a weapon for the Tigers, with the pair combining for 103 goals- the third most among forward duos in the competition.

The 326-game veteran also ranked #2 at the Club for contested marks, #2 for marks inside 50, #6 for score involvements, and #8 for goal assists.

The star player said he felt like he still had "plenty to play for".

"I'm really excited to be playing again for the Tigers in 2023," he said.

"One thing I'm proud of is the fact there was no quick decisions, it was made together, and that's the thing that holds me in good stead going into next year, that the Club still sees me as a serviceable player.

"I'm playing my role and I'm excited to play, and I'm also really excited about what the future of the football club looks and then imminent future, which I'll be involved in, we feel will be a successful one.

"(Football) gives great structure in my life... I firmly believe that the Club is in a really good position... I feel like next year could be a really fruitful year for us and I really want to be a part of that.

"And ultimately, I love playing footy, that's pretty much the crux of it. I feel like I can still play at the top level and there's nothing like going out and kicking the ball in front of the Tiger faithful at the MCG."

Riewoldt said he was proud to be a one-club player.

"That's really important to me," he said.

"I'll be glad to be finishing up as a Tiger and I'll forever hold that as a badge of honour."

Riewoldt sits second on Richmond’s all time games record holder list and is one of just five Tigers to have achieved the 300-game feat.

The contract extension puts Riewoldt (755 goals) within reach of Kevin Bartlett (778) and Matthew Richardson (800) in second and third on the Club’s all-time goal kicking ranks.

https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/1216081/riewoldt-commits-for-2023

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3887 on: September 06, 2022, 08:23:44 PM »
I'm happy with this - if he wasn't agreeable to the pay cut I'd consider letting him go and a kid to take his spot, but as always he is the team man through and through, so I'm happy for him.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if we made a couple of finals and he got to 350/800? Doubt he'll get there but I expect him to end up on 340+ games and go past KB yet not Richo for goals. High company indeed.

Well done & thanks Jack.

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #3888 on: September 06, 2022, 10:28:17 PM »
I'm happy with this - if he wasn't agreeable to the pay cut I'd consider letting him go and a kid to take his spot, but as always he is the team man through and through, so I'm happy for him.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if we made a couple of finals and he got to 350/800? Doubt he'll get there but I expect him to end up on 340+ games and go past KB yet not Richo for goals. High company indeed.

Well done & thanks Jack.

and a 4th Premiership!

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3889 on: September 06, 2022, 10:42:17 PM »
Jack's full interview on AFL360 tonight:

"I'm playing my role and I'm excited to play, and I'm also really excited about what the future of the football club looks like."

Watch here: https://twitter.com/Richmond_FC/status/1567102517393367041

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3890 on: September 06, 2022, 10:43:16 PM »
Kicking on! Veteran Tiger eyes FOURTH premiership as he inks new deal

Catherine Healey
Fox Sports
September 6th, 2022 8:05 pm

Richmond’s Jack Riewoldt will play on for a remarkable 17th AFL season, after putting pen to paper on a new deal on Tuesday.

The three-time premiership Tiger says he’s “excited” to go around again, after taking a pay cut to stay at the club.

“I’m going around again next year which is really exciting,” he revealed on AFL360.

“I feel really embarrassed how much this has blown up a bit. I’m just an old codger who’s got to the end of my career that’s just going to roll around again.

“I’m really proud there was no quick decisions – it was made together. The club still sees me as a serviceable player and I still think I’ve got plenty to play for.

“I’m playing my role and I’m excited to play and excited about the future of where the football club looks.”

Riewoldt joked he was left with two minute noodles for dinner after signing his new deal.

“The financial side of it, was the thing for ticking off - it wasn’t an argument about money, it was what’s left in the pie to keep the club stable, and pay for me next year which is probably the most insignificant thing,” he said.

“I’ve been very lucky to have been paid extremely well for a long period of time now.

“I’m not playing for any sort of financial gain really – I’m playing for another premiership.”

Riewoldt, a three-time All Australian and three-time Coleman Medallist, has been one of the Tigers’ most durable players since 2009.

Excluding his tough 2019 campaign where he was restricted to just 13 games due to a PCL knee injury, Riewoldt has managed 287 AFL games of Richmond’s possible 295 in one of the most remarkable runs.

Riewoldt only sits behind Swan Lance Franklin for current players in the AFL’s top goal kickers list, with 755 to his name.

He is just 23 goals behind Tigers great Kevin Bartlett and 45 behind Matthew Richardson – and could become Richmond’s second best forward of all time by playing on in 2023.

But Riewoldt admitted he’s focused on developing Richmond’s youngsters next year.

“I’ve known what it’s like to be a sole key forward in a football club, and I feel like I add value to (teammate Tom) Lynch’s game. And I’m really excited about what my role is - I may not play every game. I’ve got to help evolve the group into the next period of time,” he said.

Riewoldt already sits second in Richmond’s all-time games played list.

He is just one of five players still active in the AFL from the 2006 draft - alongside Travis Boak, Joel Selwood, Todd Goldstein and Tom Hawkins.

Riewoldt’s decision comes just hours after fellow Tigers veteran Trent Cotchin announced he too would play on in 2023.

The former skipper was one of Richmond’s best this season, averaging more than 22 disposals a game and finished second at the Tigers for contested ball.

“The plan probably was not initially to go again, but I think that changed for a number of reasons; one my body and also that you are a long time retired, I had that nagging away in the back of my head,” he explained.

“Something that really came to fruition this year as well was the joy it brought my kids. Having that additional purpose of not just trying my best for me and for our team, but also playing and really enjoying the journey of AFL footy and the Richmond Tigers (with them).

“As you get closer to the end of your career, you don’t know when it is going to come but I feel as though I contributed from a football point of view relatively well for the majority of the season.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/kicking-on-veteran-tiger-eyes-fourth-premiership-as-he-inks-new-deal/news-story/02254d5c8e9113219fd9fa3b85f1e631

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #3891 on: September 07, 2022, 11:51:41 PM »
Good. As stated ad nauseum there is noone else to take his spot which is a real shame and a blight on our succession planning imo.

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3892 on: September 08, 2022, 06:57:32 AM »
It’s the opposite for me.
By keeping Cotchin and Jack, both of whom retire at the end of next year, we placehold $600k in salary for 2024 which can go toward a key forward at the end of next year.
Which leaves us with one, potentially two contested ball beasts to inject our midfield with our number 1 issue while leaving us with 2 all time greats to load up for flag number 4.

On another note, I find it laughable that Tom Hawkins is revered by the media and Jack is being urged to the slaughterhouse.
In fact, Geelongs key forwards age profile is being lauded despite it being very similar to ours. The model is sound, it just lacks the supply the Cats have been able to generate.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3893 on: September 08, 2022, 08:24:11 AM »
It’s the opposite for me.
By keeping Cotchin and Jack, both of whom retire at the end of next year, we placehold $600k in salary for 2024 which can go toward a key forward at the end of next year.
Which leaves us with one, potentially two contested ball beasts to inject our midfield with our number 1 issue while leaving us with 2 all time greats to load up for flag number 4.

On another note, I find it laughable that Tom Hawkins is revered by the media and Jack is being urged to the slaughterhouse.
In fact, Geelongs key forwards age profile is being lauded despite it being very similar to ours. The model is sound, it just lacks the supply the Cats have been able to generate.

Great points mate

Always amazes me how much sucking up Hawkins gets while Jack is ridiculed as a junk timer and whinger

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3894 on: September 09, 2022, 09:32:39 AM »
THE MAIN FACTORS THAT CONVINCED RIEWOLDT TO PLAY ON AT RICHMOND

By Andrew Slevison
SEN
9 September 2022

Jack Riewoldt has revealed the major factors behind his decision to sign on with Richmond.

The 33-year-old will suit up for a 17th season with the Tigers after putting pen to paper on a one-year deal earlier this week.

Riewoldt is excited to continue his journey at Tigerland and has been enlivened by the news that GWS midfielders Tim Taranto and Jacob Hopper have both nominated Richmond as their club of choice.

“I’m looking forward to rolling around again for the mighty yellow and black,” Riewoldt said on SEN Tassie.

“I got there just when I turned 18 and now I’ll be 34 at the end of this year. It’s been a long part of my journey, one that I’ve enjoyed thoroughly and one that I didn’t want to end this year at least.

“It’s very exciting and obviously the news recently with Tim Taranto and Jacob Hopper selecting that they would like to come to the Tigers as well, as an older player it really fills your cup up knowing that you’re hopefully going to be a genuine contender again next year.”

The three-time premiership player, Coleman Medallist and All-Australian admits he had serious thoughts about finishing up this year, even discussing his potential retirement with veteran Aussie cyclist Richie Porte.

“Coming into this season I probably was of the mindset that it would be my last year,” he added.

“I remember when I did the Ride4Ryan (in Tasmanian in December) I sat next to Richie Porte when we were peddling along the highway and I said, ‘What are you going to do?’, and he goes, ‘I’m done at the end of the year’. He said, ‘Yourself?’, and I said, ‘Look, I think am too. There’s just a whole host of things I want to do going forward outside of football’.

“Richie is actually riding in his last tour at the moment so he’s only a few days away from retirement. I’ve gone back on my word a little bit there as I’m obviously playing on again.”

Riewoldt explained his thinking behind going around again in 2023, the overriding reason being to win a fourth premiership.

The 326-game, 755-goal Richmond great admits the Elimination Final loss to Brisbane left a sour taste in his mouth and he firmly believes the team has the capabilities of contending again.

“There’s a whole host of things that I’ve factored in,” Riewoldt said.

“It probably comes down to three points - One is that I love playing footy, first and foremost, that’s the thing that’s really important to me.

“I also think we’re a genuine chance and I still think I’ve got something to offer. That’s the other thing.

“It’s still hurting a little bit the fact that this season didn’t finish like we would have liked it to. I firmly believe that we had a good chance of going a little bit deeper than we did originally.

“Now I set my sights on getting back to the club in the best condition and season 2023.”

Riewoldt admits he and long-time teammate Trent Cotchin, who also signed on for 2023, will be on much less money next year but insists the motivation is simply around further success.

“I reckon myself and Trent are a little bit under what the market rate might be for us,” he added.

“I’ve constantly said this over the week when I’ve been asked this question is that I’ve been paid very handsomely for a long time now. I’m not playing to get paid next year, I’m playing to win another premiership.

“That’s the reason I’m going to go around. I want to go out and win another flag.

“This is what happens at good clubs. I think you’d find at Geelong there’d be guys like Tom Hawkins, who is the same age as me and having an All-Australian captain year, who would be being paid completely out of the ballpark what people think he’d be worth.

“That’s just what good clubs do and older players have to do when you get the end of your career. You have to step aside and let the likes of Shai Bolton and Daniel Rioli earn what they’re worth.

“It’s certainly an interesting time for our football club. Hopefully we can sign and seal the two players (Taranto and Hopper) that have said they’d like to come to the Tiges.”

After 16 seasons with Richmond, Riewoldt sits second behind only Kevin Bartlett for games played and fourth on the club’s all-time goalkicking list.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2022/09/08/the-main-factors-that-convinced-riewoldt-to-play-on-at-richmond/

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3895 on: September 09, 2022, 08:28:50 PM »
‘They think we’re in the window’: Tiger trade blitz helped stars take pay cut, proves they’re in ‘23 mix

Max Laughton
Fox Sports
September 8th, 2022 8:56 pm

Richmond veteran Jack Riewoldt was convinced to take a pay cut and stick around after being told of the club’s plan for a bold trade blitz this off-season.

The Tigers will attempt to trade in GWS midfielders Tim Taranto and Jacob Hopper, the pair each signing a seven-year contract, costing them at least three first-round picks.

The move for the young pair is an attempt to extend the premiership window of the late-2010s dynasty club, who failed to win a final this season but were fourth for percentage, and didn’t lose a game by more than a goal after Round 6.

Riewoldt believes the Taranto-Hopper plan is “very exciting”, especially because it suggests players at rival clubs believe the Tigers are still premiership threats.

“The fact of the matter is they’re very good players so we’re going to have to give up a fair bit to get them, and it’ll be interesting to see if the deals are done separately or as a conglomerate,” he said on Fox Footy’s AFL 360 Plus.

“It just shows that there’s talent out there in the AFL that believe we’re in a pretty good window, as we believe too.

“The last five games we lost were by under a goal so we feel like we can be a challenger again next year.”

Riewoldt and fellow veteran Trent Cotchin decided to play on, the latter publicly admitting he was considering retirement during the year, taking pay cuts to help the Tigers' salary cap situation.

The former Coleman medallist said he spoke to club higher-ups about their trade plan during his exit meeting early this week, which helped contribute to his decision to stick around on less than he may have been able to get elsewhere.

“In mine, yes. And I think probably a lot of the older guys would be like, you start to look outside yourself a little bit and how we’re gonna get better,” Riewoldt said.

“A lot of younger players come in and just want to get feedback about themselves and establishing themselves. It’s discussed, the coaches ask where you think as a player the club can get better.

“Funnily enough Josh Kelly’s parents live three or four doors down from my house, drove past Josh the other day and asked if he wanted to come as well.

“For us, we’re excited that players out there have nominated our club as one they see as being a good fit for him.

“I’ve factored that into my thinking about whether I want to go forward or not. You probably don’t get paid what you think you might be worth, but you’re back in the mix. As a player, as an older player, you’re playing to win premierships.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/teams/richmond-tigers/afl-trades-2022-richmond-trade-plan-pay-cut-for-veterans-jack-riewoldt-trent-cotchin-tim-taranto-jacob-hopper-news/news-story/5d4fd866db61f51ce5fe528c25b6e16a

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3896 on: September 16, 2022, 05:49:28 AM »
The 326-game veteran, Jack Riewoldt, will be a 34-year-old heading into his 17th AFL season in 2023, but the Tigerland’s talented department of youth is re-energising him.

“I really feel like the group’s in a really good position to take that next step forward.”

“I’m really excited about what the next period of time brings with some of the young kids coming through . . .

“I hope that I can impart a little bit of wisdom on to them . . .

“We’ve started seeing players like Kane Lambert, Dave Astbury, Shane Edwards, leave the football club, so now it’s becoming a sort of new generation, that generation next, which is really exciting.

“I’m still really invested into looking after and educating the younger players.

“That’s the thing I really enjoy.”

https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/1221845/riewoldt-raring-to-go-in-season-2023

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3897 on: November 11, 2022, 04:02:52 AM »
Sprintcars, the Cup, a premiership: Jack eyes unique triple crown

Jack Riewoldt has an exciting 12 months ahead as he adds sprintcars to his portfolio that includes the 2023 Melbourne Cup Favourite and a possible fourth flag.

Paywall: https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/expert-opinion/jon-ralph/jack-riewoldt-is-not-retiring-any-time-soon-and-plans-to-have-a-lot-of-fun-along-the-way/news-story/6430f7a79467984aff3de39de4ffcda6

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3898 on: November 11, 2022, 04:04:42 AM »
AFL winner Jack Riewoldt and Supercars champ Scott McLaughlin take on team ownership

Simon Chapman
Nine WWOS
11 November 2022

AFL premiership winner Jack Riewoldt and Supercars champion Scott McLaughlin have revealed their latest cross-code endeavour.

The pair have joined forces with media personalities Tim Hodges and Gerard Whateley to form a sprint car team that will take on the 50th Grand Annual Sprintcar Classic in Warrnambool.

Hodges, a Warrnambool native, hatched the idea that will see Australian sprint car ace James McFadden take the wheel.

Before McLaughlin moved to the United States to compete in the IndyCar Series, he had a podcast with Riewoldt and Hodges called Balls and Bumpers.

Now, the trio are dipping their toes into team ownership with Whateley.

"Me and Jack haven't really done anything like this before, but we threw our support behind Timmy," said McLaughlin.

"He's definitely the forefront of it all, but then we've got Gerard Whateley a part of it as well.

Stan Sport is the only place to watch the 2022 SpeedSeries. All the action streaming ad-free, live and on demand

"It's exciting. It's cool to be a part of it. Unfortunately I won't be able to make the race, but it's certainly something that I'm excited for.

"With James McFadden, he's probably one of Australia's best sprint car drivers at least and he's winning over in America.

"He's just a wheelman and having him part of the team is awesome."

For the time being, ownership may be as far as McLaughlin gets in the sprint car world.

Although keen to get behind the wheel of a V8-powered dirt oval racer, the Kiwi admitted it's a scary thought if it goes wrong.

"I don't know if I'd like to race one, I'm not sure," he said.

"I'd love to drive one. I've never driven anything on the dirt before. I think that would be very cool.

"I've definitely had offers to race something, but I haven't gone through with it. It's something that's definitely intriguing for me, but at the same time, to race one is pretty hardcore.

"When they have a shunt, she's a big one. Probably focused on the IndyCar program right now and not putting myself at risk.'

McLaughlin has returned Down Under to attend the Adelaide 500 where he will be the event's 'Fanbassador' and provide expert commentary on the broadcast.

The three-time champion said he's eager to provide an unfiltered point of view at the Supercars season finale.

"I'm excited to provide comments throughout the weekend and give fans and everyone alike a chance to give a look into maybe something a little bit more current.

"I've just come out of the seat, in some ways, and I fell like I can add to the broadcast and add to the viewership [experience] in a good way.

"Very excited. I really enjoyed watching Gold Coast again and seeing the cars up close again.

"Then, to go to Adelaide – where the race was up in the air for a long while there, and now for it to come back and be its first race back – I'm sure there's going to be a ton of people there and I'm really excited to be a part of it all."

The Adelaide 500 takes place on December 1-4.

McLaughlin will spend Christmas and New Year Down Under before heading back for the 2023 IndyCar season, which begins on the streets of St Petersburg on March 5.

https://wwos.nine.com.au/motorsport/news-2022-afl-jack-riewoldt-supercars-scott-mclaughlin-take-up-sprint-car-team-ownership/2492d908-2cc8-497b-8f98-f118ae40b106

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3899 on: November 11, 2022, 02:11:48 PM »
Sprintcars, the Cup, a premiership: Jack eyes unique triple crown

Jack Riewoldt has an exciting 12 months ahead as he adds sprintcars to his portfolio that includes the 2023 Melbourne Cup Favourite and a possible fourth flag.

Paywall: https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/expert-opinion/jon-ralph/jack-riewoldt-is-not-retiring-any-time-soon-and-plans-to-have-a-lot-of-fun-along-the-way/news-story/6430f7a79467984aff3de39de4ffcda6

-----------------------------------

The full article:

Jack Riewoldt is not retiring any time soon and plans to have a lot of fun along the way​

Jon Ralph​
HeraldSun
11 November 2022

The power of saying yes has put Jack Riewoldt in some weird and wonderful places.

On stage rocking it out with The Killers after Richmond’s 2017 premiership triumph.

On track for football’s Hall of Fame.

And on a pedestal as one of football’s greatest star forwards combining a diverse multimedia career, a leadership business and advocacy for a Tasmanian football team.

In 2023 it could reward him with the 34-year-old’s own version of the Triple Crown.

His decision to play on for Richmond opens the door for a remarkable fourth premiership and his small ownership stake in 2023 Melbourne Cup favourite Soulcombe sets up 12 months of feverish anticipation.

November’s schedule includes trips to Mount Buffalo and Uluru as part of his leadership business Authentic Leaders Group and last week’s Flemington Group 3 victory that set up Soulcombe’s Melbourne Cup bid.

This week he still found time to confirm the third and quirkiest leg of that possible trio of sporting victories when he became a part-owner in Hodges Motorsport’s bid for the Grand Annual Sprintcar Classic at Warrnambool’s Premier Speedway.

The self-confessed motorsport nuffy has joined up with his podcast partners — IndyCar star Scott McLaughlin and Fox Footy’s AFL360 producer Tim Hodges — as well as AFL360 host Gerard Whateley.

A passion project for Hodges given his Warrnambool roots, the sprint car event is a high-risk investment for the 50th anniversary of the race that guarantees little financial reward but a heck of a lot of fun.

For Riewoldt it is all part of embracing the extraordinary opportunities that life can present if you are prepared to answer in the affirmative.

“It is just what you make of it. You could easily say no to a lot of things but I try to say yes to as many things as possible and sometimes they turn into really fun things like the horse and the motorsport team,” he said.

“Hodgey had a lifelong dream to own a race team and myself and Scott and Hodgey did a podcast and made some sponsorship money off supporters of the podcast and we had it sitting there. And Hodgey says, “I want to run a sprint car team”.

“It’s so left of centre that it’s really, really appealing. More than likely we won’t get our money back but it will be so much fun. It’s a big year as the 50th anniversary and James McFadden is driving for us. He’s a two-time champion and he’s one of the best drivers down there so we are really looking forward to it.

“Sprint cars are on dirt and are the cars with huge wings on top of the roof. The power is unbelievable and things can come a cropper pretty easily so it’s not a sport you would normally invest money in but we are doing this more as a passion project than anything else.”

Riewoldt will take his daughters Poppy and Hazel down to the ‘Bool to witness the spectacle, with Poppy turning four in March when round 1 of the AFL season rolls around next year.

She is just old enough to understand what dad does for a living, which was one of the many reasons he played on next year.

“A quote I have heard a lot recently is you are a long time retired. So enjoy it while it’s here. My eldest is starting to show a lot of interest in footy, she loves it,” he said.

“I have no idea to be honest (if it’s my last year). Probably more than likely but you just don’t know. When I started this year I was thinking it would be my last year but I surprised myself a bit. I have got a young family and so many other things to do but I am putting my sole focus into being the best footballer I can be so it gives me a chance to play my best football and the club can go as far as it hopes to go.”

He is thrilled Jacob Hopper chose Richmond over Geelong and Tim Taranto jumped on board, believing they are both “bona fide stars of the competition. We have been very lucky to add to that group”.

For Riewoldt, Hopper’s decision franks the club’s own belief it is still a “powerhouse” like Geelong and Melbourne firmly in the premiership race.

But he says the emergence of first-year draftees Josh Gibcus, Noah Cumberland and Tyler Sonsie — with Sam Banks and Tom Brown to debut next year — gives the club a perfect balance of old and new.

Riewoldt has heard the noise about Richmond’s decision to host its final this weekend at the 2000-capacity Punt Road and believes there is a silver lining in the debate.

“We are so excited for the AFLW team who are going fantastically well. I have been to watch games and watched a few on TV when they have played away. It’s a whole generation that have been inspired, not just Richmond. The whole competition is inspiring people.

“Did we ever think we would be having this conversation about where an AFLW final would be played. People are crying out for tickets. For a nation that loves sport we are getting constant access to world-class sport. That’s the most exciting thing. The standard I have watched our girls go to is next level. The girls coming in to play AFLW now are scary good.
“And in ten more years it will look nothing like it does now as it evolves again.”

He will head to Uluru next week for another course with Authentic Leaders Group with a syllabus based around many of the lessons from Richmond, helping workgroups reconnect after the dislocation of Covid.

“We take people into regional spaces and use it as a classroom to do a whole bunch of stuff. A bit of theory, a bit of fun, a bit of play and push people into growth areas we think can improve facets of workplaces,” Riewoldt said.

Then next month he will be back into the slog of a Punt Road pre-season, having filled his life with so many challenges he cannot get to but aware of the magnetic lure of the fourth premiership.