Author Topic: BEN COUSINS [merged]  (Read 210494 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: BEN COUSINS [merged]
« Reply #1485 on: April 19, 2021, 01:58:20 PM »
Ben Cousins will play footy for the first time in a decade this year.

The West Australian is reporting that the Brownlow Medallist will play in the Metro Football League for Queens Park as he attempts to get his life back on track.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2021/04/18/report-cousins-to-play-first-game-of-footy-in-a-decade/

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #1486 on: April 19, 2021, 02:17:20 PM »
Anyone else just relieved that thread bump wasn't a death notice? :shh
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #1487 on: April 19, 2021, 02:34:26 PM »
When I saw it I thought , “what’s he done now”

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
‘Kidding myself’: Cousins comes clean on addiction struggle and Richmond ‘circus’

News.com.au
November 8th, 2022

Cousins also spoke about his move to the Tigers, sharing his gratitude the club gave him chance, The West Australian reported.

“I played the majority of my football at West Coast and never once did I entertain the idea of leaving West Coast or did I ever see my future being anything other than a one-team player but obviously what happened, happened,” he said.

“One of the great things about that whole situation was the opportunity that I got to play for Richmond who were sort of brave enough to take it on and pick me up.

“I was desperate to play, I was no guarantee to get picked up and there was a circus that sort of followed me for the past 12 or 18 months.

“As much as I would have loved for it to be just a football decision, it really wasn’t.

“I’m forever grateful. (Richmond) were a fantastic club to play for.

“I had two pretty tough years on field but it’s been amazing to be at that footy club at that time with a handful of that core group that was able to go on and build something from those days and win those three grand finals and have that dynasty.”

Over the past few years, there have been signs Cousins has been getting his life together, making a high profile appearance on the Brownlow Medal red carpet in 2021 and captaining a local charity football match in Perth in January.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/kidding-myself-cousins-comes-clean-on-addiction-struggle-and-richmond-circus/news-story/a1f6330192d55a05b1fc4c76fc5560ee

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1489 on: November 08, 2022, 09:08:24 AM »
He set training standards at our club at the time and trained very hard.

Online Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #1490 on: November 08, 2022, 09:29:15 AM »
Doesn’t he have a regular gig on 7news in WA covering footy? Seems to have made good strides in the past couple of years.

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #1491 on: November 08, 2022, 09:31:26 AM »
He was always very energetic and took his off field preparation very very seriously and gave it his all :rollin
The club that keeps giving.

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #1492 on: November 08, 2022, 09:55:14 AM »
He was always very energetic and took his off field preparation very very seriously and gave it his all :rollin
hahahahahaahaha that is SO funny  :bow :cheers :bow how do you get to be so funny??? Teach us

On a serious note, good on him. Hope he keeps it together
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #1493 on: November 08, 2022, 10:56:22 PM »
hahahahahaahaha that is SO funny  :bow :cheers :bow how do you get to be so funny??? Teach us

On a serious note, good on him. Hope he keeps it together
Thanks mate. Love you too.  :cheers
The club that keeps giving.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1494 on: June 09, 2023, 09:56:19 PM »
Brownlow medallist Ben Cousins becomes centre of attention at Richmond Tigers training at Optus Stadium

Craig O'Donoghue
The West Australian
Fri, 9 June 2023 6:39PM

It’s rare for AFL stars to feel in awe about other footballers, but Richmond’s stars couldn’t contain their excitement when Ben Cousins attended training on Friday.

The Tigers were preparing to play Fremantle on Saturday with a training session at Optus Stadium and Cousins found himself the centre of attention from both players and fans.

Paywall: https://thewest.com.au/sport/richmond-tigers/brownlow-medallist-ben-cousins-becomes-centre-of-attention-at-richmond-tigers-training-at-optus-stadium-c-10919434

https://twitter.com/Richmond_FC/status/1667099677718880256

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1495 on: June 09, 2023, 10:36:06 PM »
He's looking healthy, which is great

Offline camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1496 on: June 09, 2023, 11:39:12 PM »
Once a Tiger , always a Tiger

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1497 on: June 10, 2023, 11:11:24 PM »
Cousins was in our room after the game celebrating our win.

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #1498 on: June 10, 2023, 11:22:17 PM »
For those who have read Cousins book, he explains an enormous love and appreciation of Richmond and the club back then for giving him a chance when the entire footy world gave up on him, so he thought. It's a great couple of chapters if anyone hasn't read it. But if an insight into some of the leadership stuff he did with the guys back then like She'd, Dusty, Jack, Cotch and Rance that he wrote about before we were successful so it wasn't to take credit for anything post 2017.
Go Tigers!

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1499 on: January 17, 2024, 07:03:58 PM »
Ben Cousins: AFL great embraces Dustin Martin and other Tigers players at Richmond training

The West Australian
Wed, 17 January 2024

Dustin Martin and his Richmond teammates had plenty of love for former Tiger Ben Cousins when he made a guest appearance at training.

Ben Cousins was Dustin Martin’s teammate for the star Tiger’s AFL debut — and there’s clearly nothing but love between the pair as they embraced at a Richmond pre-season training session.

Cousins was a special guest on a rainy Melbourne day at the Tigers’ Punt Road base, with a big hug reserved for his fellow Brownlow medallist Martin on the sidelines.

Martin is one of just two active Richmond players who were teammates with Cousins during his 32-game stint with the club in 2009 and 2010, along with defender Dylan Grimes.

Cousins and Martin embrace. Credit: Richmond FC/Instagram

But Cousins has also become popular with the current yellow-and-black group after numerous appearances around the club over the past several seasons.

Richmond’s WA contingent appeared particularly excited to spot Cousins observing training from the dugout.

Liam Baker had a big grin on his face as he came over for a Cousins cuddle, with Nathan Broad also coming over to greet the six-time All-Australian.

Cousins and Baker. Credit: Richmond FC/Instagram

Cousins also had a sideline chat with former teammate turned Tigers assistant Chris Newman.

This season marks 15 years since Cousins made his yellow-and-black debut following his high-profile exit at West Coast at the end of 2007 after 238 games which included a premiership in 2006.

Having turned his life around, including thriving in a role as a sports presenter at Seven, Cousins was this week the subject of a declaration from AFL analyst Kane Cornes that he should be inducted into the Australian Football Hall of Fame.

Cousins has been eligible for a Hall of Fame induction since 2013.

“It’s time. There are others in the Hall of Fame who have had a chequered history off the field, and it’s time,” Cornes said on SEN.

https://thewest.com.au/sport/afl/ben-cousins-afl-great-embraces-dustin-martin-and-other-tigers-players-at-richmond-training-c-13251460