Author Topic: BEN COUSINS [merged]  (Read 218182 times)

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: BEN COUSINS [merged]
« Reply #840 on: June 22, 2009, 06:35:21 AM »
Still if the Ainter's offered up pick 15 or 16 for him on the belief they would have a serious crack at the flag in 2010 would you take it?

Give me one second to think about that..of course!

Ramps

« Reply #841 on: June 22, 2009, 08:13:42 AM »
Properly managed Ben Cousins could play till he is 33 or 34 ... no one is going to offer a decent pick for a 30 yo ... so we keep him on 1 year contracts.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #842 on: June 22, 2009, 10:18:47 AM »
I thought list management was now controlled by Craig Cameron, not the incoming coach
So why do we have to wait for a new coach to decide on the future of some of our players, especially extending contracts.

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #843 on: June 22, 2009, 11:51:46 AM »
I thought list management was now controlled by Craig Cameron, not the incoming coach
So why do we have to wait for a new coach to decide on the future of some of our players, especially extending contracts.

I guess it all depends on the game plan.

Wallace wanted a quick, small, skinny team that didn't like to tackle or do 1%ers.

The new coach might want a skillful team, which means 36 players will be delisted in October.  :lol

And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline HD

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #844 on: June 22, 2009, 12:21:52 PM »
Quote from Wayne - "R.I.P. Joel Bowden's RFC Career: 1996 - Round 1, 2009"

You forgot to mention that Bowden's career was diagnosed terminal in 2006 and remained on Life Support for 3 years.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #845 on: June 24, 2009, 05:03:41 PM »
Saints expecting a fired-up Cousins, says Hayes
By Luke Holmesby Wed 24 June, 2009

THIS time 12 months ago the rumour connecting Ben Cousins and St Kilda started to grow legs.

The Saints seemed to be one of few parties interested in the former Eagle until the St Kilda board voted against recruiting him.

History shows Cousins was eventually taken by Richmond and this week will line up against the team that decided he was too big a risk.

Saints midfielder Lenny Hayes said he fully expected the Brownlow medallist to be out to prove the Saints wrong this week when he lines up against the ladder-leaders on Sunday.

“We expect nothing less from Cousins. We know he is a real professional, he is a real hard runner and he has been getting back to some of his best form. I’m sure he’s looking forward to the game as well,” Hayes said.

Cousins’ former teammate Saint Michael Gardiner will this week play his 150th AFL match, a feat that many believed he would never reach after battles with injury and discipline over the last few years.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/79293/default.aspx

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #846 on: June 30, 2009, 05:25:42 PM »
Cousins jokes about being raped
June 30, 2009
Herald-Sun

AFL bad boy Ben Cousins is back in hot water after sharing a joke on radio about rape.

The Richmond Tigers player yesterday told Nova FM his team had been 'absolutely raped' in Sunday night's 56-point loss to St Kilda.

Nova breakfast host Kate Langbroek played along with the rape reference.

"Oh hello, you can't make jokes like that about footballers my friend - mind you, they might give you $5000 to go away," she said

Cousins: "You're not allowed to rape people, but it's alright if you get raped yourself, isn't it?"

Langbroek: "Well, you know . . . John Elliott will give you some cash."

Former Carlton president John Elliott created a storm of controversy last week when he said the Blues paid hush money to alleged rape cictims while he was at the helm.

Women's Forum Australia spokeswoman Melinda Tankard-Riest said Cousins and the Nova team should have known better than to make fun of rape.

"Losing a game of football cannot be compared to the violation of rape," she said.

Since the former self-confessed drug addict made his comeback to topline football Cousins has mostly avoided controversy except with what he claimed was another attempt at humour, when he stuck his middle finger up at a TV camera in a changeroom.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,25713599-26103,00.html

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #847 on: June 30, 2009, 11:16:44 PM »
Unbelievable, you can't say anything these days

Ox

« Reply #848 on: June 30, 2009, 11:34:42 PM »
get him away from that slag.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #849 on: July 04, 2009, 04:57:16 AM »
How I saved Ben Cousins - interview with Ricky Nixon
Patrick Carlyon | July 04, 2009

SECURITY guards at Etihad Stadium joke that footballer manager Ricky Nixon must never leave work, given his car always appears to be in his spot.

Nixon does go home, of course. But he likes a drink, too, as the Crown Lager and VB slabs on the Flying Start office floor suggest, along with the dozen or so bottles of red.

He volunteers he is a "binge drinker", conditioned by a football generation that drank only on big occasions - and kept drinking once they started.

Plenty of his clients have erred since he became a player manager in the 1990s. Only last year, he says, he kept at least two incidences of player misbehaviour out of the papers.

One night in March, Nixon, 46, decided to drive home late from work. He'd been hosting an on-line sports management course and says he had made himself two margaritas.

Then at 11.08pm, as he was driving his Alfa Romeo 159 down Swan St, the rear of a tram loomed ahead. Bang.

NIXON'S court case - among other things, he was charged with drink driving - has been adjourned until September. But he readily agrees to regrets.

Bruised and concussed, he was heckled by residents.

He later blew .108.

"While I wasn't happy with the publicity my car crash attracted, put it this way - when you have news crews outside your house for four days and your kids can't go to school, I suggest that that is a bit over the top," he says.

"But maybe that's where it's at these days. I had a helicopter hovering over my house. You'd reckon I'd killed a busload of nuns."

Nixon is resigned to a stretch of tram and bike rides to and from his Kew home. He was using both modes of transport, coincidentally, well before his accident. Already, fellow tram travellers joke he must be practising for the suspension ahead. He describes such moments with equal parts bristle and mirth.

His car crash means he now must endure a form of notoriety he usually shies from.

For years Nixon perched somewhere above the football limelight, where a special few can turn whispers into headlines, and where a raw kid from Wagga - once he gets a few kicks and a haircut - can be positioned as the face as Nike.

Nixon jiggles the strings of those who dance across the sporting landscape. A wink here. A growl there.

He has long figured in lists of sport's most influential people. Yet the car crash was the second time in three months that Nixon clattered on to the main stage.

At Ben Cousins' press conference to announce his signing at Richmond before Christmas, Nixon lurked off-camera.

He'd handled one or two client scandals before. Managing Wayne Carey alone introduced Nixon to the vagaries of indecent assault and sleeping with your teammate's wife.

Today, Nixon knew what he did and did not want his client to talk about. Cousins was being quizzed about underworld connections. Nixon became miffed.

Nothing new here - as Nixon himself admits, people can and do annoy him. He felt a need to protect his client from a recidivist questioner. So he interrupted the press conference to out the persistent journalist as a "knob".

He got what he wanted. There were no more underworld questions. His only regret was that he did not conjure a better putdown than "knob".

The moment encapsulates why people swear by - and swear at - Ricky Nixon. His protectiveness of clients is well known.

Ask St Kilda's Nick Riewoldt and his football manager deserves a halo.

On Wednesday, Riewoldt signed a four-year deal that will probably be his most lucrative.

"He's a very honest bloke," Riewoldt says, a description foreign to typical perceptions of sports management.

OTHERS aren't as flattering. Recently, former player Glenn Archer looked set to burst when Nixon implied that Archer's views were irrelevant.

Nixon's notoriety spreads far. At home the other week, as coach of the Kew Comets Under-13s, he was accused of paying players under the table. "Absolute crap," he says.

Meanwhile, in Ireland, he has been compared to the child catcher in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang for his efforts to attract Gaelic football players to AFL ranks.

"I've had a public run-in with everyone," Nixon cheerfully admits.

"I call a spade a spade. Some people don't like that."

Nixon is pleased his clients appear to have forgiven him his car crash.

It offers an insight into his industry, which he pioneered in his pursuit of marketing lurks, and his exploitation of AFL loopholes, that another agent contacted the father of one of Nixon's clients. This agent, according to Nixon, decried Nixon for boozing, and being too old. Then he offered his services.

"I'd love to ring them up and thank them because the worst thing you can do is can someone," he says. "I never can other agents. People don't want to hear it."

Yet Nixon has always offered criticism of others. He once compared his client and friend, Wayne Carey, to a used car.

One expects he encounters "knobs" every day. His willingness to tell people what he thinks helps explain his rise from average player, afflicted by injuries, to corporate whiz.

After 11 years as an injury-plagued journeyman, up sprang Nixon the manager as players were becoming professional. He pressed and buffed the sport's corporate shine. He boosted Carey's worth so high that, even today, the best players can only just match it.

His face looks as though his head has been gripped in a boxer's helmet two sizes too small. He has a Mark Latham bullishness. Like the former opposition leader, he projects a flow of big ideas heedless to notions that some may offend.

The only people he answers to are the players he manages.

Still, Nixon is generous with sharing his thoughts. And his feistiness is softened by his emotional involvement in his clients' welfare. Finding Cousins a club last year took a "massive toll". Collingwood and St Kilda both considered and rejected him.

Nixon basks in credit for persevering until Richmond bit. He was confident when St Kilda met to discuss Cousins. He had to pull over his car when he got the call saying no. He feared Cousins' career - if not more - would slide.

"I sat there for 20 minutes composing myself thinking Ben's in trouble," he says. "Thinking, 'I have to tell him. And I know what's going to happen'. The ramifications were that Ben could nosedive into oblivion."

Did he get the strategy right every time? "Definitely not. People really annoy me who say that the trouble with Cousins or Carey is that nobody said no to them," Nixon says.

"That's absolute crap. If they think I didn't take up issues with Cousins and Carey . . . I mean you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink."

Nixon says he counsels clients to tell him the truth - all of it - when they go wrong off-field. Yet Nixon doesn't dwell. It's not his style.

His entrepreneurial flair, it seems, manifests in his physical restlessness. He can't watch movies or television, he says, because he can't sit still.

There's the "Irish Experiment", which he hopes will deliver 15-25 players to AFL ranks within five years. Nixon still harps on the 18th AFL team planned in Sydney. He wants to see an Irish franchise that plays out of Sydney, plays in London, and helps make other teams wealthier.

He can't "switch off": "If I have three minutes for lunch, it's three minutes too long."

That said, he would not miss Melbourne. He'd prefer to live at Pt Lonsdale, where strangers do not bail you up to talk about football.

A CHANGE of pace, however, seems unlikely to inspire a change of attitude. Nixon has settled public differences with both Carey and Gary Ablett.

But his grudge with the reporter at the Cousins press conference? "That knob, and he is a knob, he's the same bloke who door-stopped my house for four days and had the helicopter above my house, because that was his idea of getting me back," Nixon says.

"And the fact is he is a knob, and he'll always be a knob. He was going to sue me for calling him a knob. That's how big a knob he is."

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,25729329-661,00.html

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #850 on: July 07, 2009, 09:15:24 AM »
Just wondering any comments on Cuz's game.  As usual good hard running and he did get a lot of the ball but some of his disposal put our players under the pump severely.  The running around the back for a cheap stat came unstuck a few times too.

Offline TigerTime

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #851 on: July 07, 2009, 10:14:16 AM »
Just wondering any comments on Cuz's game.  As usual good hard running and he did get a lot of the ball but some of his disposal put our players under the pump severely.  The running around the back for a cheap stat came unstuck a few times too.

thats true, but many times ben was given the ball when he was under the pump and the best option was not to give it to him. imo i feel many players such as cotch are in awe of cuz and feed him the ball at all costs even when there are other options. that just shows the presence of the cuz!

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #852 on: July 07, 2009, 12:43:26 PM »

Ben Cousins had an excellent record against Adelaide during his time at the Eagles and was responsible for many victories.

The Crows seemed to target him on Saturday night and gave him "special treatment"-a lot of gang tackles etc.

He did look under pressure every time he touched the ball but I think you have to give some credit to the opposition for that.
Unleash the tornado

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #853 on: July 11, 2009, 07:57:34 PM »
Cuz was brilliant today. Best game he's played for us. A shame we're where we are at as a young team to miss out on this form. A shame too he wasn't fit like this in round 1.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #854 on: July 11, 2009, 09:45:57 PM »
Cousins' emergence boosts Tigers
Sam Lienert
July 11, 2009 - 7:54PM

Last time Ben Cousins played against Carlton it could not have ended more miserably.

The Richmond recruit's much-hyped AFL comeback helped draw a crowd of almost 87,000 to the season-opener at the MCG, but he limped off with a hamstring injury as the Tigers were thumped by 83 points.

By the time he returned to fitness, his new club's season was all but over, at least in terms of finals prospects, along with coach Terry Wallace's career.

But, while Richmond again lost to the Blues at the MCG on Saturday, things are looking much brighter for the former West Coast star.

After picking up his first 30-disposal haul of the season against Adelaide in the previous round, Cousins starred with 35 touches against the Blues.

His 19-disposal second half helped the Tigers seize the midfield advantage over their highly-rated counterparts and, if not for some wasteful work in attack, would have given them a decent shot at a comeback win.

Tigers caretaker coach Jade Rawlings said while it was important for Cousins' own sake that he has struck form, it was also having a big positive effect on his young midfield colleagues.

"It's been great for him, it's been great for the footy club," Rawlings said.

"... It's been half a dozen games he's played on end now and he's influencing games of footy.

"Unfortunately that hasn't translated into too many wins but he's having a really big influence on how we're playing a lot of games.

"He consistently gets blokes running with him, it doesn't faze him and he's played well."

Rawlings said with young gun Trent Cotchin also having regained fitness after early season injury troubles, Daniel Jackson having a breakout season and last year's best and fairest Brett Deledio also in solid form, there were some good midfield signs.

"It's not just about Ben Cousins, we're starting to get a few support acts as well," Rawlings said, praising Cousins' value as a football model for the younger players.

"His running capacity to win it in close and then spread from those situations is as good as I've seen.

"I think our young mids will learn and derive a lot from having played alongside him."

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-sport/cousins-emergence-boosts-tigers-20090711-dgo8.html