Author Topic: Tigers partner with WWF-Australia to help save wild tigers from extinction  (Read 12631 times)

Hellenic Tiger

Very sad a crowd of 49,550 on Friday night and more than $1000 was raised.
If that was the final figure that equates to 5 cents per person who attended the
game. :banghead :banghead

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
If that was the final figure that equates to 5 cents per person who attended the
Were the collectors outside Gate 3 because I didn't see any  ???
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Hellenic Tiger

Pre game they were as I was waiting for a mate and they came up to me outside Gate 3 near the fast food caravan. I sit in the Olympic Stand and going down at quarter and half time  I didn't notice them.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com

Pre game they were as I was waiting for a mate and they came up to me outside Gate 3 near the fast food caravan. I sit in the Olympic Stand and going down at quarter and half time  I didn't notice them.
I walked from Jolimont station to the 'G and didn't see one  :-[. We got there an hour and 20 mins before the start of the game so maybe I got to the ground too early  ???.

Hellenic Tiger

Don't know MT. I got to the ground at abt 6 and even popped out for a smoke at abt 7 and the same woman was there just as I walked out from the gate where you get your pass outs. Didn't see her after that. Although I did spot the same woman in a tiger tee trying to sell me Tigger Scratchies  pre game at quarter time  and half time.

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
I think it's a good cause.  I too sponsor a tiger and a cheetah but at Australia Zoo. 

Tigermonk

Don't know MT. I got to the ground at abt 6 and even popped out for a smoke at abt 7 and the same woman was there just as I walked out from the gate where you get your pass outs. Didn't see her after that. Although I did spot the same woman in a tiger tee trying to sell me Tigger Scratchies  pre game at quarter time  and half time.

Only way l buy a scratchy is if its a chic in a bikini on a cold day
why l would even scratch it while she was there ;D

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Tigers partner with WWF-Australia to help save wild tigers from extinction
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2007, 06:46:15 PM »
The two tiger cubs at the Melbourne Zoo are one year old  :thumbsup. They were shown on the news tonight.

Ramps

« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2007, 07:07:15 PM »
The two tiger cubs at the Melbourne Zoo are one year old  :thumbsup. They were shown on the news tonight.

can they create space in midfield, im sure axel and lids would be ecstactic to finally have teamates who know how to play footy.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2007, 09:33:49 PM »

can they create space in midfield, im sure axel and lids would be ecstactic to finally have teamates who know how to play footy.
They know how to tackle properly lol.

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2007, 03:14:30 PM »
who really needs saving ???

us or them !!!

Offline Beren

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2007, 03:36:25 PM »
Um, there's 3 tiger cubs at the zoo.
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
 :'(  :'(  :'(

Safety move led to cub's death
Steve Butcher
March 16, 2008

WHEN Melbourne Zoo's three rare Sumatran tiger cubs went public for the first time last year, their keepers faced a dilemma.

Should they lower the level of the water in the exhibit's pool to prevent any risk that a cub might slip in and drown?

Or should they keep it deep enough that adult tigers — the cubs' parents — could not stand on the bottom and get the traction to spring over the safety wall into a crowd of onlookers?

The risk to human safety was too great and the water was kept deep. The result of that rational decision was the death last Thursday of one of the cubs, Nakal.

When the cub went missing about 4pm, zoo staff feared he might be on the loose. They evacuated scores of tourists and visitors and called police. But Nakal — which means naughty, or cheeky, in Indonesian — was found dead in the pool about 5.30pm.

For distraught keepers, the male cub's drowning was a bitter blow. They had waited 16 years to breed the litter, born in October 2006.

After the birth, the cubs' mother reared them for months in a private off-limits area of heated dens and devoted human keepers. The risk, as it turned out, came when they moved into the acclaimed new rainforest exhibit, surrounded by the pool.

But there were no hand-wringing recriminations among zoo staff, just devastation, when confirmation came yesterday that 16-month-old Nakal had inexplicably drowned without witness.

The zoo's general curator, Dan Maloney, announced that an autopsy by vet Kate Bodley had found no evidence of trauma, seizure, heart attack or poisoning. Nakal had died in a tragic accident. Upset staff had received grief counselling, he said.

The death was even more puzzling given that tigers enjoy water and are strong swimmers.

The cubs are the offspring of 13-year-old Ramalon and his female mate Binjai, 6, who came to Melbourne from Rotterdam Zoo four years ago.

Sumatran tigers are the most endangered tiger species in the world, with a population of between 300 and 400.

The Melbourne Tigers basketball club and AFL club Richmond, sponsors of the zoo's Tiger Taskforce endangered species breeding program, have sent messages of condolence.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/safety-move-led-to-cubs-death/2008/03/15/1205472164010.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigers saving Tigers
richmondfc.com.au
Tue 19 August, 2008

This week the Tiger Den is proudly supporting two causes close to the hearts of all Tigers fans - the Tiger Taskforce and the Marsh Foundation.

Both causes have close links with the Richmond Football Club and our near neighbours Indonesia, and to celebrate Indonesian Independence Day on Sunday August 17, the Tiger Den is selling limited edition plush Tiger Cubs, with all proceeds going to the Tiger Taskforce.

“Customers are always asking me if I sell cute soft Tiger Cubs, so this was a great chance for me to please my loyal Tiger Den customers and raise a bit of money for the real tigers at the same time,” said Richmond Merchandise Manager Megan Davies.

The Tiger Taskforce aims to increase community awareness of the critical danger tigers face in the wild, and to raise funds to support projects to secure the future of all surviving tiger subspecies.

Richmond Online Auctions is auctioning two items this week to raise money for each cause:

TROY SIMMONDS MATCH WORN GUERNSEY

Simmonds’ guernsey from this Saturday’s game at the MCG against his old club Fremantle. Troy is our Tiger Taskforce Ambassador and is happy that funds raised from his worn jumper can help the Sumatran Tiger Breeding Program.

‘TOSS THE COIN’ AT THIS WEEK’S RICHMOND V FREMANTLE MATCH

Proceeds from the sale of this opportunity will go to the Marsh Foundation. This auction ends on Tuesday 19 August at 4pm. The Marsh Foundation sends recycled Australian Medical equipment to hospitals in Indonesia.

Since the Bali bombings in 2002, the Marsh Foundation has been committed to improving the health standards of that region, in particular the health of impoverished children. With donated medical equipment and the help of the Indonesian Consulate, the Marsh Foundation started shipping containers of recycled medical gear into the poorest areas of Bali and beyond. The Marsh Foundation is now the number one medical equipment recycling group in the region.

The Plush Tiger Cubs are on sale from Monday 18 August until the conclusion of Saturday’s game at the MCG against Fremantle. They are available in the Tiger Den at Punt Rd Oval, over the counter, Monday–Friday from 9am-5pm and Saturday from 11am–6pm, or online by clicking here.

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/Season2007/News/NewsArticle/tabid/6301/Default.aspx?newsId=65805

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2017, 02:13:20 PM »
I read on the internet the club has been contacted by the World Wildfund Fund about doing something together to help
save the worlds Tigers. I would support this initiative. From a personal perspective I would be happy for the club to include
a separate category on the membership form for members to donate say $10 a year to the WWF for this cause.
If we had 85,000 members at 10 bucks a pop, that would mean Richmond donated $850,000 a year to this fantastic cause.
I don't know how the WWF would use those funds, but as long as the outcomes were measurable from our perspective I
reckon it would be a terrific thing to do.