Author Topic: Trent Cotchin [merged]  (Read 431717 times)

Moi

Re: Trent Cotchin [merged]
« Reply #240 on: September 02, 2008, 08:44:41 PM »
when are we going to say that about a player we drafted not in the first few.
Deledio is in the squad  ;D

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #241 on: September 02, 2008, 08:56:48 PM »

when i said"not in the first few" i meant not in the first few picks
lids and cotch were number 1 picks so nothing new there. Both guns.
its the other picks i question. the range between 5-20. Schulz, Petts, meyer, Patto, JON etc etc where have they got us nowhere.

Moore, Foley and Will were all rookies.

we are the worst drafting side in the afl i have no doubt about that.

other clubs pick up your cyril rioli's who in one year is a better player than richie tambling, edwards and that idiot cam howatt. FACT!!

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #242 on: September 03, 2008, 01:35:01 AM »

when i said"not in the first few" i meant not in the first few picks
lids and cotch were number 1 picks so nothing new there. Both guns.
its the other picks i question. the range between 5-20. Schulz, Petts, meyer, Patto, JON etc etc where have they got us nowhere.

Moore, Foley and Will were all rookies.

we are the worst drafting side in the afl i have no doubt about that.

other clubs pick up your cyril rioli's who in one year is a better player than richie tambling, edwards and that idiot cam howatt. FACT!!

Meyer (04), Patto (04), JON (05). Give kids that are 20-22 yoa some time FFS.

I am happy with Rance over Rioli thanks. 

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #243 on: September 03, 2008, 04:21:05 AM »
Palmer, Rioli and Cotchin stellar trio
Chloe Saltau | September 3, 2008

WHETHER it is the hard-running midfielder from the West or the hard-tackling forward from Hawthorn whose star burns most brightly today, Richmond captain Kane Johnson believes his young teammate Trent Cotchin will eventually outshine both of them.

Rhys Palmer and Cyril Rioli are favourites for the 2008 Rising Star award, the former having busted into the Fremantle midfield and picked up 23 touches a game in his first year and the latter having carved his very own place in a very good side with his ability to do things that make others, including his peers, stop and stare.

Johnson finds it difficult to split them, but has seen enough of Cotchin's clean, decisive football since his round-eight debut to think he will, over the next decade, distinguish himself as the best of the lot.

"You build your club around players like that," Johnson said. "You would have to say Palmer (for the Rising Star) just because he has played most games and I think he has averaged 23 possessions, which is a fair year for a kid, and obviously Rioli has been good. (But) I think Cotchin is the standout in the group for the long term."

Cotchin, incidentally, is in the Rioli camp, and knows first-hand what a handful "Junior Boy" can be from tagging him at the under-12 schoolboy championships.

"I think it was his third year in the Northern Territory under-12s side and our coaches had already seen him and I was given the job of running with him. I enjoyed that, actually," Cotchin said.

"He never really gets beaten one-on-one, and he's very clean and silky with his disposal. I think he's a star in the making, or already a star."

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/palmer-rioli-and-cotchin-stellar-trio/2008/09/02/1220121235282.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #244 on: September 03, 2008, 04:27:20 AM »
Raw talent
Emma Quayle | The Age | September 2, 2008

Emma Quayle followed five of the hottest young football talents in the country on their journey to the AFL draft. All were drafted as fi rst-round selections and three have been nominated for today’s Rising Star award. These are a selection of edited extracts from her book.

Trent Cotchin and Cyril Rioli as underage stars.

TRENT COTCHIN

Trent was tagged in the first game of Vic Metro’s 2007 under- 18 championship game — a heavy loss to Western Australia.

After the match he told a couple of teammates — only jokingly — that he might not get drafted now.

The comments were used in coach David Dickson’s address ahead of Metro’s final match of the championships against Vic Country.

Dickson wanted to see a united team out there and decided to make a point before he began his pre-game rev-up.

He’d heard that Trent had been talking draft at the airport in Perth and wasn’t happy; Trent should have been thinking about playing for Victoria.

Also in the back of his mind was that Trent had said he liked the occasional jolt. But he’d forgotten there was a Fox Sports camera in the back of the room, and that what he said would later appear on their website.

Dicko told the players to run and not be afraid. Then he ran through the side, position by position, reminding each player what the team needed them to do.

He reached Trent, paused, and glanced around. Trent was where he always was, in the middle of the front row, so Dickson stood directly in front of him, looking down.

"It’s been an interesting carnival for you," he began, his voice steadily rising, his neck craning forward and his finger pointing directly at Trent.

"I heard a comment last night … and I’ll say it to you in front of the group. I’m going to really nail you and if it’s true I’m going to be really peeed off …"

He leaned back, with his hands out wide and his palms facing up. "Oh, I’m not sure I’m going to get drafted …," he said in a sing-song voice. "You are here to play for f------ Victoria. NOT ANYONE ELSE! I don’t care about draft people and if you’re talking to players like that then your mind’s not switched on to win today … YOU ARE A BLOODY GOOD FOOTBALLER and you start here. Not in a year’s time. I DON’T CARE WHERE YOU GO! This group needs you playing for Victoria, NOT WITH YOUR MIND ELSEWHERE!"

It was a sharp, fierce and confronting few seconds. Trent didn’t take his eyes off the coach, he didn’t move or change expression other than to clench his jaw and lose a bit of colour from his cheeks. Inside, though, he was churning.

He didn’t mind being yelled at, even in a room full of people. He liked Dicko and enjoyed playing for him, but what he had said wasn’t right. Why hadn’t he talked to him first, to make sure that’s what he had said? Trent felt like an idiot, like he’d been embarrassed for no real reason.

"It put me down. It made me feel like a idiot," he said. "It just felt negative."

Still, he was first out on to the ground, stopping to pat each teammate on the back as they followed him.

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/raw-talent/2008/09/02/1220121234074.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #245 on: September 03, 2008, 02:28:17 PM »
Cotch was also interviewed at the gig:

* Played in Albury tagging Rioli in 2001. I think he did me on the day.

* Played on Kerr and he's always on move which is what I need to do. Learnt a lot from him and Jobe Watson  about positioning yourself (got smashed by him).

* We're putting structures together and coming through together as a young side. Won 8 of our last 11. Want to continue that next year and be able to compete against the likes of your side Joel (Selwood).

* Said he watches Sunday footy show so Garry Lyon was pleased. He doesn't take must notice of the media.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #246 on: September 15, 2008, 04:42:45 PM »
I was having a look at what Blues fans would offer Freo for Warnock and stumbled across this ....

Quote from: Melvey
I think we have far bigger insufficiencies with our list than ruckman. We are desperately seeking a quality inside player like a mitchell.

I think our biggest mistake was not taking Cotchin.

http://www.talkingcarlton.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=21018&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=500

Offline Beren

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #247 on: September 16, 2008, 10:15:46 AM »
Gee it's taken them a while hasn't it? ;D
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #248 on: October 17, 2008, 03:15:53 AM »
The Herald-Sun today says Cotch has been training with Craig Mottram running around the Tan.

richmondrules

« Reply #249 on: October 17, 2008, 07:50:06 AM »
The Herald-Sun today says Cotch has been training with Craig Mottram running around the Tan.

If he can keep up with Mottram I'll be very impressed. I reckon Craig would be showered and changed by the time Cotch finishes.  ;D Good on the boy for putting in the hard yards in, this is why he will be a star. Doesn't matter how gifted you are you still need to put in the effort to realise your potential. :thumbsup

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #250 on: October 17, 2008, 03:00:46 PM »
I've typed out the story....

Tiger on Buster's tail
By DARYL TIMMS
FRI 17 OCT 2008, Page 114

THEY might be friends now, but come November 30 and Richmond footballer Trent Cotchin and Australia's best distance runner Craig "Buster" Mottram will be foes.

The pair, who have trained together on Melbourne's Tan track around the Botanical Gardens, will be among thousands of competitors in The Great Australian Run.

Cotchin is among a group of AFL footballers who will run in relays in a bid to topple Mottram on the 15km run around Melbourne streets.

The run will start in Albert Park.

Essendon's Jobe Watson, Collingwood's Dale Thomas and Carlton's Bryce Gibbs have also been named as AFL ambassadors for the run but only three will take on Mottram in 5km relays.

Despite being tag-teamed, the money is still on Mottram to beat the footballers by a considerable distance.

Anyone wanting to compete in the run, can visit www.greataustralianrun. com.au for more details.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #251 on: October 18, 2008, 01:44:23 PM »
Get Lids, Whitey, Jackson & Cotchin as the relay and Mottram may have a competition
Cotchin will be carrying the rest of those snails

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #252 on: October 18, 2008, 05:37:31 PM »
Cotch is obviously trying to make up for the preseason he missed last year and boost up his endurance at the same time  :thumbsup.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #253 on: October 18, 2008, 06:12:06 PM »
Yep this kids ability matched with his attitude is going to make for some pleasurable viewing ahead

Online torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #254 on: October 19, 2008, 10:38:48 PM »
Trent Cotchin will be a Richmond superstar ... hopefully like Geelong's Gary Ablett :)