Author Topic: Federal Election  (Read 41720 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Federal Election - Nov 24
« Reply #60 on: December 01, 2007, 03:53:52 PM »
Bracks tried to do a similar thing here in Victoria when he first won when he made himself treasurer on top of being premier. It didn't last long and he handed the treasury over to Brumby as having two big portfolios is too much work for one person.

The news saying it's confirmed Howard has lost his seat Bennelong. So he's offically gone for good.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #61 on: January 18, 2008, 06:51:17 PM »
Howard may have lost the election and his seat but he'll make a fortune out of it.

------------------
FORMER prime minister John Howard has signed with the prestigious Washington Speakers Bureau, which represents world power brokers including former British leader Tony Blair.

Mr Howard, who was tossed out of government last November after 11 years leading the country, is now available to deliver addresses on two topics for a hefty fee.

The two topics listed on the Washington Speakers Bureau website are Leadership in the New Century and the Global Economic Future.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,23072496-5005961,00.html

Offline mjs

• Premiership Captain
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #62 on: January 18, 2008, 08:46:29 PM »
hmm - innerestin - I think he has more currency in the USA than here in Australia.

I predict that he will have some short term success in the USA, virtually none here, and then fade away.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #63 on: January 18, 2008, 10:49:17 PM »
who cares about him.
he is a tosser
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #64 on: February 18, 2008, 04:05:20 AM »
Politics - so many colleagues but no one is a friend  :whistle

----------------------------
Revealed: the moment John Howard accepted he was beaten
Gerard McManus
February 18, 2008

FORMER prime minister John Howard knew on election day he was doomed, telling a confidant he was "dead meat".

In an explosive ABC Four Corners program, airing tonight, senior Liberal Party colleagues reveal how they repeatedly tried to get him to step aside in favour of the then treasurer Peter Costello.

Former workplace relations minister Joe Hockey admits on the program that he had no idea WorkChoices would leave workers worse off.

And another former minister, Andrew Robb, says WorkChoices was the most powerful symbol that the government had lost touch with "Howard's battlers".

Tonight's Four Corners recounts the disintegration of the Howard government in its last year.

But it also reveals more details about the leadership paralysis born of the secret Howard-Costello succession "deal" brokered by Ian McLachlan in the mid-1990s, before the Coalition won power.

It says Mr Costello was reluctant to enter the deal, which would have resulted in a hand-over after 1 1/2 terms.

And Mr Costello tells the program that Mr Howard, who ultimately served four terms, chose to hold on to the prime ministership despite knowing his deputy would quit politics if the government lost in November.

Mr Costello says that, in the end, there was never any chance of Mr Howard going of his own volition.

"I don't think he was ever going to stand down," Mr Costello said.

"I think every time he considered it, he decided he was going to stay."

But former foreign affairs minister Alexander Downer insists that, had the Costello forces restrained themselves during 2006, Mr Howard would have gone quietly in December that year.

Mr Robb, a Victorian MP and former federal party director, says Mr Howard should have been forced out.

And Senate leader Nick Minchin reveals he personally tried to get Mr Howard to quit, approaching the PM's right-hand man, Arthur Sinodinos, and Mr Downer before the Howard government's 10th anniversary in 2006.

But Victorian senator Judith Troeth says Mr Costello's failure to win the leadership was his own fault, because he treated his colleagues with disdain.

Mr Costello also concedes the Howard government should have ratified the Kyoto protocol years before it became an electoral liability.

"I think people would have listened to what we were doing, which was quite substantive on climate change, if we'd ratified it," Mr Costello says.

Even Howard loyalist Tony Abbott concedes it was a mistake not to ratify the UN treaty.

The Four Corners report, "Howard's End" will be screened at 8.30pm.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,23229905-661,00.html

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #65 on: February 18, 2008, 03:26:24 PM »
Remember a similar ABC doco after Keating got the flick. Labor in Power or whatever it was called. Amazing anything gets done with pollies on the same side sniping each other. You've got to love the Libs coming out now after they've lost and say Howard was wrong on policy and should have retired before the election  :wallywink

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #66 on: February 18, 2008, 03:39:26 PM »
should be a cracker tonight on the abc. 830 i think its on.
ill get the pop corn ready and watch these losers all bag each other. hahaha

howard is a sore loser and his obese mate hockey can go get f....

and now they r blocking the abolition of awa's. sour grapes perhaps..
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #67 on: June 12, 2010, 06:12:26 PM »
Looks like Kevin07 is gunna end up with some kind of record.  :rollin
Knew he was full of it.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #68 on: June 12, 2010, 07:36:25 PM »
Politics is like footy. 5-6 months till the election is ages for anything to happen. Howard was on the ropes too in his first term before going with the GST.

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #69 on: June 23, 2010, 08:49:12 PM »
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/national/labor-considers-axing-rudd/story-e6frf7l6-1225883380388

LABOR powerbrokers are considering a move to axe Kevin Rudd tonight or tomorrow and replace him with Julia Gillard, press reports say.

ABC News and Sky News are both reporting that senior party figures have been canvassing members ahead of a move to dump the Prime Minister and replace him with his deputy within the next 24 hours.

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #70 on: June 23, 2010, 09:09:24 PM »
The shame about Aussie politics is our best alternative PM, Malcolm Turnbull, is too sensible for the extremists on either side of politics and as a result will be a spectator to all of this. I say this as a Labor voter.

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #71 on: June 23, 2010, 10:27:01 PM »
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/national/labor-considers-axing-rudd/story-e6frf7l6-1225883380388

LABOR powerbrokers are considering a move to axe Kevin Rudd tonight or tomorrow and replace him with Julia Gillard, press reports say.

ABC News and Sky News are both reporting that senior party figures have been canvassing members ahead of a move to dump the Prime Minister and replace him with his deputy within the next 24 hours.

see ya round like a big fat donut.
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #72 on: June 23, 2010, 10:32:03 PM »
Caucus meeting 9am tomorrow to have a ballot on the ALP leadership. Rudd will contest it.

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #73 on: June 23, 2010, 10:36:10 PM »
I don't think I could handle a Gillard led labor party. Back to the bad old days. Backstabbing whore.

It is unheard of that the bloke who led Labor out of the abyss should be knifed like this and a sad reflection on the Labor machine.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #74 on: June 23, 2010, 11:01:51 PM »
Yep it's an amazing fall especially in Australia politics. Political suicide for mine whoever wins the leadership tomorrow. As you say Jake I think the public won't like backstabbing although it's the norm in politics and both sides do it. Rudd made the mistake of fighting too many battles at once and making too many enemies. Mind you if he spoke like he did tonight for most of the past year he wouldn't be in trouble in the first place. Incredible that the ETS has killed off leaders of both parties. The Liberal one for supporting it and the Labor one for putting it on the backburner.