Author Topic: Alex Rance [merged]  (Read 244189 times)

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Rance Retires Effectively Immediately to Focus on Family & Faith
« Reply #2475 on: December 19, 2019, 03:33:16 PM »
No doubt someones gotten into his ear. He seemed so keen on getting back out there

Offline Tiger Tragic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2476 on: December 19, 2019, 03:35:04 PM »
No doubt someones gotten into his ear. He seemed so keen on getting back out there

God...at least the JW version

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2478 on: December 19, 2019, 04:09:12 PM »
VIDEO: https://www.richmondfc.com.au/video/550574/gale-and-cotchin-on-rance-s-retirement?videoId=550574&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1576722743001

Rance bombshell no surprise to Tigers

Rebecca Williams, Jon Anderson and Michael Warner
Herald Sun
19 December 2019

Richmond chief executive Brendon Gale says the Tigers are disappointed in Alex Rance’s decision to retire, but admits he was not totally surprised by the call.

In the biggest shock of the off-season, the champion defender delivered a bombshell this morning when he announced his retirement from the game – effective immediately.

Just as everyone at the club had been raving about how well the premiership star had been performing on the track in his return from a knee injury that forced him to miss this year’s premiership win, Gale said it was a decision that had weighed heavily on Rance for some time.

“It’s a heavy heart that Alex announced his retirement from the Richmond Football Club this morning,” Gale said.

“It’s a decision we were disappointed with, but it’s a life decision, it’s a decision that he has thought long and hard about.

“For Alex there has always been other priorities other than just football and we certainly respect that and we certainly supported him through that process hopeful that he may extend his career, but certainly respect the very strong decision that he has arrived at.

“It’s no secret this has been a continuum. This is a life decision and he has priorities outside of football and balancing those has vexed him ... but having said that during that time he has been a very good time and we have won premierships and it’s been managed.

“But I just think the last month since returning and hopping into pre-season that it has become more concentrated and there has been a sense of finality to his decision.”

Rance, a five-time All-Australian defender, has pulled the pin on his career to spend more time with his family and to travel overseas.

He informed his teammates on Thursday morning.

Rance, who played 200 AFL games and was a member of the Tigers’ drought-breaking 2017 premiership, said he achieved everything he wanted from the game.

“I am someone who will always give their best to what they commit to, and I’m proud of the time, energy and dedication that I’ve put towards my football career,” Rance said.

“Right now, I feel I have served my purpose in terms of my on-field performance and cultural impact, and I’m so grateful to the football club for their support and care in allowing me to do that in my own unique way.

“Now I feel is the right time for me to put the same time and energy into other areas of my life that need it, and to prioritise the more important things to me, such as my spiritual growth, my family and friends.”

Richmond captain Trent Cotchin acknowledged it was a decision Rance has been wrestling with for some time but respected his call to put his life away from football first.

“I think it has been part of the conversation for a little bit of time, but I think as a collective as a club it would be a little bit of a surprise,” Cotchin said.

“It’s probably just something that he has been wrestling with internally, he obviously had some people that he loves and cares about around him that have been incredible supporters for him and at the end of the day this is the conclusion that he came to.

“To me footy is just a game, I know a lot of people see it as a business and spots on lists and so forth but to me it is all about the health of a person whether it be mentally, physically, both, spiritually, you need to be at your best so you can give your best and that’s what we hope Rancey can find in the near future.”

Cotchin said the retirement of Rance would leave a huge hole at the Tigers but knowing the team was able to win a flag without him would help ease the pain.

“I like to think that a lot of the behaviours he has lived by for his lengthy career will live on through others that he has nurtured and been a big part of their careers,” he said.

“We have full faith in some of our young and up and coming players that will hopefully get an opportunity to fill the void.

“There is a little bit of sadness there bit even ‘Dimma’ (coach Damien Hardwick) spoke about it this morning, I think it’s an opportunity for others.

“There is a hole there much like last year when he went down with a knee injury for other guys to grow and flourish and give themselves a chance.”

Rance was training with the Tigers as recently as Tuesday when the AFL and AFLW teams trained together at Punt Road.

Fellow defender Dylan Grimes said Rance was fit and moving well on the track with his teammates close to re-joining the main group.

Asked if his disappointment in Rance’s decision had to do with the late timing of it just days away from the Christmas break after the completion of the trade and draft periods, Gale said it was more a selfish one to be losing a player of his quality.

“It’s just that he is a really good player. It’s a fiercely competitive caper and you want the best players available on the park more often than not,” Gale said.

“We were all eagerly anticipating Alex’s return, he had been training very very well and I thought that he was going to make an immediate impact won our team and that’s not going to be the case.

“Call it a selfish disappointment, that’s what it was. But I’m not surprised, these things have weighed heavily on him and most importantly as I stand before you today I am extremely grateful and thankful that I got to watch him play.”

Rance departs with two years to run on his lucrative contract, which Gale said the Tigers would be “amended”.

Gale said Rance departed as one of the “finest” players to have played at the club, saying he leave big shoes to fill.

“He has been a remarkable player for this football club. He is a remarkable, talented, combative assertive leader that is all in,” Gale said.

“He is 150 per cent type player and highly decorated and is a premiership player and we are extremely thankful that he has been a Richmond man.

“He is certainly one of the finest defenders of the modern era.”

The 30-year-old has made no secret of his desire to explore options away from football.

The Jehovah’s Witness almost quit AFL in 2015 in what he described as a “conflict” between football and his faith.

“Yeah (it has occurred to me since 2015) — it’s constantly occurring to me,” Rance said of retirement two years ago.

Rance pushed hard to make it back for last year’s finals but said he would never have forgiven himself if he went down and cost his team the chance to win.

The Tigers are favourites to go back-to-back next year but Rance has foregone the chance to a have a crack at another AFL flag with his announcement.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/richmond-defender-alex-rance-announces-shock-afl-retirement/news-story/3d0de16e737ec8d4638df20bd004143f

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #2479 on: December 19, 2019, 05:13:40 PM »
how the actual stuff did he let a cult get its scratchers into him?
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Gale hopes Tigers haven't seen last of 'stark raving mad' Rance (Age)
« Reply #2480 on: December 19, 2019, 05:27:03 PM »
Gale hopes Tigers haven't seen last of 'stark raving mad' Rance

Ronny Lerner
The Age
December 19, 2019

Richmond will keep Alex Rance on their list next season and CEO Brendon Gale remains hopeful that the champion defender might resume his AFL career at some stage despite announcing his retirement on Thursday.

Rance, a devout Jehovah's Witness, has decided to walk away from the game, with two years still to run on his contract, to focus more on his family and his faith.

"For Alex, there's always been priorities other than just football and we certainly respect that and we certainly support him through that process, hopeful that he may extend his career, but we certainly respect the very strong decision he's arrived at," Gale said.

While the five-time All-Australian toyed with the idea of ending his career in 2015 for those same reasons, his decision on Thursday still came as a shock to the club, according to captain Trent Cotchin.

"That would be a fair way of putting it," Cotchin said at Punt Road Oval when asked if he was shocked but not surprised by Rance's call.

Rance tried to break the news to his teammates in "typical 'Rancey' fashion with a bit of humour", according to Cotchin, even though there was "sadness" attached to the announcement.

"I think he handled himself really well," Cotchin said.

"He's really respectful of the culture that all of us have created here at the Richmond footy club, he's really proud of that. He's really sad that he's not going to be a part of that from a day-to-day point of view but we'll always be there for him."

Gale said Rance made his decision with "a heavy heart" and the Richmond chief admitted that from a selfish perspective, the club was disappointed by it.

"He's a really, really good player," Gale said of Rance, who suffered a season-ending knee injury in round one this year.

"This is a fiercely coemptive caper and you want the best players available on the park more often than not.

"We were all eagerly anticipating Alex's return, he's been training very, very well, and I thought he was going to make an immediate impact on our team and that's not going to be the case.

"But I'm not surprised. These things have weighed heavily on him and most importantly, as I stand before you today, I'm extremely grateful and thankful that I had the opportunity to watch him play.

"It's a life decision. It's a decision he's thought long and hard about and for Alex there's always been other priorities other than just football.

"He's a remarkable, talented, combative, assertive leader that is all in – he's a 150 per cent-type player.

"I don't think it's about player enjoyment, I think he loves the club, he loves the players, he hasn't fallen out of love with the game or his teammates, he's been clear about that.

Alex Rance's alter egos always kept the Richmond Football club upbeat according to CEO Brendon Gale.

"The positive here, by the power of his example, he has set a very, very high standard and benchmark for others to follow. We've got some exciting young kids who have the opportunity to come up and take the bull by the horns."

As good as Rance was on the field, Gale said his presence would be missed just as keenly off it.

"He's a real leader and a connector," Gale said.

"I mean, he's mad. I don't understand him, but he lifts the place. He's one of those guys who creates energy. Things happen on the field, you see that, but they happen off the field as well and he's going to leave big shoes to fill.

Having been drafted together in 2007, Trent Cotchin paid tribute to the stellar career of Alex Rance.

"He's just got a range of alter egos. He's schizophrenic. I don't make light of that, but he just flips into different personalities and I don't know where they come from or where he draws inspiration from, but he's just stark raving mad."

Gale and Cotchin said the club didn't try to talk Rance out of his decision, but they did present a strong case to him as to why he should remain a Richmond player.

"There's no compulsion to remove him off our list at this stage. The contract will be amended accordingly, he'll stay on our list until the end of the year and then we'll deal with it then," Gale said.

Gale described the premiership defender, 2017 All-Australian captain and 2015 best-and-fairest as "one of the finest players to play at our club".

Cotchin was philosophical about Rance's retirement and while he would have preferred Rance to continue playing, the Richmond skipper was confident about his team's ability to cover his absence as they already exhibited emphatically by storming to their second flag in three years this season without him.

"To me footy is just a game," he said.

"I know that a lot of people see it as a business and spots on lists and so forth, but for me it's all about the health of a person whether it be mentally, physically, [or] spiritually, you need to be at your best to give your best and that's what we hope Rancey can find in the near future."

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/gale-hopes-tigers-haven-t-seen-last-of-stark-raving-mad-rance-20191219-p53lkk.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Rance remains on Richmond's list, but Tigers have decisions to make (Age)
« Reply #2481 on: December 19, 2019, 05:28:46 PM »
Rance remains on Richmond's list, but Tigers have decisions to make

Peter Ryan
The Age
19 December 2019

Richmond would need to put Alex Rance on the inactive list to open a spot and replace him with a rookie during the pre-season supplemental selection period (SSP), as clubs made final list lodgements after November's rookie draft.

The AFL's Ken Wood, who manages total player payment compliance, would also need to approve the yet-to-be-finalised settlement between Richmond and Rance before it becomes clear exactly what space would be available for the Tigers heading into next year's exchange period.

Club CEO Brendon Gale indicated Richmond would keep the 30-year-old on the list however, in the faint hope he would have a change of heart, though Gale also said he respected the finality of the decision.

At some stage however they will need to draw a line through Rance, as his departure will give them more cap space than they imagined, with Rance likely to have commanded around $800,000 a season.

With the free agency, trade and draft period over for this season, the Tigers have some time to prepare then implement any serious tweaks to their list management strategy, with only the SSP and mid-season draft windows open for clubs to add players to their list.

Of course the Tigers used both those options to great effect in 2019 with Sydney Stack and Marlion Pickett becoming Richmond players via those new avenues, but the chances of finding a replacement for Rance via those mechanisms are slim.

It's why the timing of Rance's decision is not ideal as the Tigers' major list decisions have been made for 2020 and the best methods for replacing quality players is via trade, free agency or the national draft.

The Tigers are vulnerable if Dylan Grimes or David Astbury are injured, with Ryan Garthwaite still developing. However they have been enthused by Ben Miller's progress, while versatile Noah Balta is a potential defender.

Richmond used their first pick in this year's draft on midfielder Thomson Dow after not being able to hang on to Brandon Ellis, who departed with good will and a five-year deal to the Gold Coast as a free agent.

The Tigers also lost Dan Butler to the Saints and Jacob Townsend to Essendon, while drafting medium forward Noah Cumberland and midfielders Will Martyn and Hugo Ralphsmith with selections in the 40s.

So be it, is the club's view. Rance provided the Tigers with enormous value in 200 games.

Given their recent performance with two flags and a preliminary final in their past three seasons, the Tigers were likely to remain in a retention and reward phase rather than recruiting anyway, particularly with star forward Tom Lynch just one season into a seven-year contract.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/rance-remains-on-richmond-s-list-but-tigers-have-decisions-to-make-20191219-p53llf.html

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2482 on: December 19, 2019, 05:39:58 PM »
Really sad to see him retire particularly when he put so much effort to play last season. Congratulations to him for a brilliant career. A true champion.

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2483 on: December 19, 2019, 05:50:25 PM »
Could have drafted the likes of Will Gould or Emerson Jeka...

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
« Reply #2484 on: December 19, 2019, 06:02:05 PM »
We could've done a lot of things if we had the money.... :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline taztiger4

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Shovelheads - Keeping hipsters off Harley's
« Reply #2485 on: December 19, 2019, 08:03:56 PM »
"Inactive list" another stupid effin Americanism that the journo's / commentators managed to squeeze in

Online The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2486 on: December 19, 2019, 09:46:05 PM »
The best Blackman I have ever seen. Thank you Alex :clapping

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2487 on: December 19, 2019, 09:49:04 PM »
Disappointing but understand it

In a time when the term champion gets bandied about after one good game, this bloke is a true Champion

How lucky were we to witness an amazing career
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2488 on: December 19, 2019, 10:00:11 PM »
Disappointing but understand it

In a time when the term champion gets bandied about after one good game, this bloke is a true Champion

How lucky were we to witness an amazing career

Well said :clapping

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
« Reply #2489 on: December 19, 2019, 10:31:45 PM »
The best Blackman I have ever seen.

Racist... :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.