Author Topic: 15 Tigers over 190cm  (Read 6196 times)

Online wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
Re: 15 Tigers over 190cm
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2007, 01:57:24 PM »
This years draft was one made by a team that is starting to become very stable and stick to a plan.

Apart from Jordan McMahon, we stuck with youth again, and what I find to be an even bigger positive, PSD #1 was used on a youngster.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2007, 04:46:40 PM »
Don't be surprised if JON joins that 190cm+ group in 2008

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2007, 04:53:10 PM »
Don't be surprised if JON joins that 190cm+ group in 2008

im hearing reports that he is pushing past the 190's, can anyone confirm that

richmondrules

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2007, 06:02:10 PM »
The guys going to look like a really REALLY long twig. I really hope he's putting on some bulk as well as height  :-\

T2

« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2007, 06:33:54 PM »
Even if Wallace doesn't bring us the premiership success we crave, i hope people at least remember him for the job he has done fixing up Frawley's train crash

wallace? fixing our list?

the only thing he should be thanked about is getting us cotchin, francis jackson is the one who has done a good job of adressing our needs

if wallace had his way we'd have half the dogs side and the rest made up of local basketballers, he might be a good coach but he cant build a list if his life depended on it

What rubbish!! Wallace plays a very big part in the players we recruit, as does the whole coaching staff. ::) "Ground control to Major tom..." If you think Francis Jackson does everything on his own then you are talking through your hat! I'm fed up with people continually nit picking Wallace's role at the club.
Look at the list now compared to 2004. FWIW, Jackson was only appointed last year. He is doing an excellent job but stop watering down the influence and  involvement that TW has in the selection of players. :banghead

you mean the likes of patricia bowden, kingsley and mcmahon?

im talking about the last 2 drafts which were done by francis jackson, finally we are bringing some footballers with skill into the club and building a half respectable playing list

terry should stick to coaching because his record at building lists at the dogs was awful and im glad with fj and and now cameron on board he will have little say in our recruits going forward

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2007, 06:45:58 PM »

McMahon is only 24. If he can get to his 2006 form he will be an assit.

For every Paddy Bowden and Kingsley there are success stories; Simmonds and King for example.

Offline Rex

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2007, 07:31:35 AM »

McMahon is only 24. If he can get to his 2006 form he will be an assit.

For every Paddy Bowden and Kingsley there are success stories; Simmonds and King for example.

Dont forget Polak

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2007, 11:48:25 AM »

im talking about the last 2 drafts which were done by francis jackson, finally we are bringing some footballers with skill into the club and building a half respectable playing list

terry should stick to coaching because his record at building lists at the dogs was awful and im glad with fj and and now cameron on board he will have little say in our recruits going forward

Our list has been a disaster for decades. It was TW that set the rebuilding plan in process and has followed through with it regardless of the consequences to himself.
Kingsley was a mistake but could have been a great asset to the team had he remained injury free.

Patty Bowden was fantastic in 2006. I'll never forget the game against the Lions at the Dome at the end of that year where he took 20+ marks (I may be slightly over estimating here :) ).

McMahon is completely unproven in our team. His strongest role in the team will be to free up someone like Newman from the backline and into our midfield. If he can also provide dash and carry from the HB then we will be all heralding his inclusion as a masterstroke. Time will tell.

TW is building the basis of an excellent team full of run, skill and now height. 2004 and 2007 drafts have been our best for years but this has as much to do with our ladder position in those years which enabled us the luxury of early choices. In 2005 we finished much higher which gave us less choices which is why we picked JON, Hughes and Casserly and in 2006 a similiar story (when FJ began I believe) which saw Riewoldt, Peterson, Collins and Connors included. Petersons gone and Collins hasn't shown anything as yet so I wouldn't say his drafted here was any master stroke either.

Overall the coach has a huge input into selections. He has the final say and determines the type of player he wants to fit his game style and team plans.

Whatever happens in the future it is TW who will be held the most accountable for it and it is TW who should be either blamed or congratulated for the consequences of the success of the list. To say otherwise is very shortsighted IMHO.

I for one am very excited about almost all the players we have gathered over the last 4 years and believe TW has made nothing but a positive impact on our team and, most importantly, our clubs future.

Stripes

T2

« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2007, 09:18:33 PM »
its funny how people just forget about the kingsley thing like it never happened

that was purely wallace's decision which he thought could of pushed us into a mediocre 9th/10th position again, sure he didnt cost much but it was the fact we recruited a 29yr old when we are in a rebuilding peroid that was most dissapointing

bowden was handy for a game or two in 06 but he was never going to be long term - what was the point?

hmmmm mark graham aswell

great recruiting terry, your doing a spendid job ::)

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2007, 12:45:17 AM »
its funny how people just forget about the kingsley thing like it never happened

that was purely wallace's decision which he thought could of pushed us into a mediocre 9th/10th position again, sure he didnt cost much but it was the fact we recruited a 29yr old when we are in a rebuilding peroid that was most dissapointing

bowden was handy for a game or two in 06 but he was never going to be long term - what was the point?

hmmmm mark graham aswell

Kingsley.
Knobel.
Cartledge.
Howatt.

>:(

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2007, 07:33:29 PM »
At least the Club didn't repeat the same mistake in the PSD this year. In previous years we would've taken a Richards in desperation.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2007, 09:53:47 PM »

hmmmm mark graham aswell

Out of the last 4 drafts how many 'older' players have we recruited? 4 or 5 out of how many?
How many good choices have we made over the last 4 years? I would say there were more positives choices than bad.

What about the Frawley years? Now that was terrible recruiting and the reason why we have such a gap in our list. Why aren't you pointing the finger there?

What about other clubs? Every year there are almost as many failures as successes with recruits.

TW has made far more great choices than poor ones. Everyone makes mistakes and everyone is a genius in retrospect but as long as he continues to improve our list then I for one will continue to have faith in him.

Here are the 'bad' choices -

Mark Graham was a necessary inclusion and allowed us to almost play finals and add valuable experience and leadership to our backline.

Patrick Bowden was a great recruit at the time which added height, skill and leadership to our team. He played far more good games than he did bad but with injuries and the inclusion of Polak (who plays an almost identical role) his time was up. He was only 25 when he was recruited which was the exact age group we were missing.

Knobel had a fantastic year in 2006 and was a great 2nd tap ruckman for us. We needed more ruckmen which allowed us the luxury of playing Stafford in the forwardline. Injuries and his style of play caused his eventual demise.

Kingsley was free. He cost us the minimal player wage. Plain and simple. He was Geelongs leading goal kicker for years and was released from Geelong for personal issues between himself and the coach. Almost every expert at the time heralded his recruitment to the Tigers as a masterstroke. TW/Miller saw him as a terrific foil and motivation for our young forwards, able to pass on his experience and knowledge during training. At Geelong he was forced to play as there number one forward where at Richmond he had the opportunity to be play as the 2nd or even 3rd forward where he had the potential to strengthen up our forward line significantly and make it far less predicatable.

Cartledge and Howat are insurance. In a weak and shallow draft they were taken in case of injuries.

I would love you to make a list of all the good recruitment choices that have been made over the last four years. If the bad out number the good then I think you have a reason to be so angry at TW's recruitment but if the good out number the bad then...perhaps you may need to face the truth - TW IS doing a good job afterall. :)

Stripes

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2007, 09:59:25 PM »
thankyou for bringing some sanity into this thread stripes :thumbsup

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2007, 10:00:42 PM »
... and RROFO that is a brilliant avater  :thumbsup

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2007, 02:43:55 AM »
well ...

Howat, Cartledge, Silvester are all 23 next year ... so that means that they only have 2 years after 2008 to stay on the list or get promoted ... if delisted then end of there AFL careers ...

so i see them as a one year players ... which ever one does something will be on the list ... and the other 2 will be delisted ...

Collard will be 20 ... and i am guessing will be kept ...

i see Hyde delisted already next year ... LMAO ...

i am sure we willn't draft 23+ players with Cameron and Jackson "developing" the list from now on ...