Author Topic: Heat wave - It's HOT damn HOT  (Read 11072 times)

Moi

Re: Heat wave - It's HOT damn HOT
« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2009, 02:58:32 PM »
when I gave plasma today they told me some will be going to help out those in need as a result of the fires

come on you OERites  pop into your local Red Cross and make a practical difference   it only takes 15 mins for blood and about 45 mins for plasma :thumbsup

Last I heard they asked people to stop coming but to come back in two weeks as they had snuff supplies for now

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #46 on: February 09, 2009, 05:04:49 PM »
131 now confirmed dead and Ch 7 said authorities are estimating it will rise to 200  :'(. Just found out a workmate of my dad's is one of them  :(.

Some amazing first account stories of survival though like the one in the Australian today:
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,25026912-2702,00.html
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

« Reply #47 on: February 09, 2009, 07:22:48 PM »

It has been a hard couple of days.

Must admit I am finding this all a bit too much.

Offline Jacosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • No bish fish, the moon wasnt right.
« Reply #48 on: February 09, 2009, 08:00:11 PM »
while i feel terribly for all those that have lost homes and love ones i need to spread some good news as well.  My mates kids are home safe and sound after 21 hours of him being worried sick and not being able to contact them.  :pray :clapping

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #49 on: February 10, 2009, 03:31:44 PM »
Glad to hear they are safe Jacosh.

173 now confirmed dead. Makes you wonder how these communities will ever recover after losing so many people let alone all the property and animal loses :'(.

On a future looking note they were discussing fireproof cellars/bunkers as a safety measure in fire prone areas. Sounds like a good idea to me. The set-up cost may be expensive but it pales into insignifance when compared to this disaster and loss of so many lives.

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #50 on: February 10, 2009, 05:00:41 PM »
On a future looking note they were discussing fireproof cellars/bunkers as a safety measure in fire prone areas. Sounds like a good idea to me. The set-up cost may be expensive but it pales into insignifance when compared to this disaster and loss of so many lives.

Yep, I reckon redirect the insulation part of the stimulus package into free cellars/bunkers for fire prone areas. 

Keep the brickies/builders employed plus helps get money into the ravaged communities.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #51 on: February 10, 2009, 05:50:28 PM »

Yep, I reckon redirect the insulation part of the stimulus package into free cellars/bunkers for fire prone areas. 

Keep the brickies/builders employed plus helps get money into the ravaged communities.
Yep and/or redirect part of the handout towards towards rebuilding these ravaged communities. 12 million people entitled to this handout (?) x $200 is about a quarter of a billion dollars just there depending on how much they will need. Most of the rest of the Aussie population would still get $750 each to pump into the general economy.

The sad fact is part of economy in this devastated region is tourism as it is one of the most picturesque parts of Victoria. It's going to take years for Nature to regenerate back to what it was.

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #52 on: February 11, 2009, 02:31:32 PM »
If you want to do something different ....

http://www.rspcavic.org/campaigns_news/news_bushfires.htm  :thumbsup

Moi

IVANHOE RESIDENTS PLEASE READ
« Reply #53 on: February 12, 2009, 04:39:13 PM »
Yarra Bend Park, Ivanhoe there is a large fire brewing.
Firefighters are concerned for houses.

Fires near Banksia Street and crews in Mossman Drive

Big fire apparently but not posing a risk to homes according to Sky

« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 05:07:24 PM by Moi »

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: IVANHOE RESIDENTS PLEASE READ
« Reply #54 on: February 12, 2009, 08:43:10 PM »
Yarra Bend Park, Ivanhoe there is a large fire brewing.
Firefighters are concerned for houses.

Fires near Banksia Street and crews in Mossman Drive

Big fire apparently but not posing a risk to homes according to Sky
Another fire started by arson  >:(

Moi

« Reply #55 on: February 15, 2009, 06:23:06 PM »
Does anyone know if there's a bad fire up in Belgrave
My daughter is getting out of there, but I don't know if it's bad or she's just be cautious
Anyone?

Moi

Dandenong Ranges fires
« Reply #56 on: February 15, 2009, 07:34:34 PM »
URGENT fire threat messages have been issued for several towns in the Dandenong Ranges.

The CFA said residents at Kallista, Ferny Creek, Sherbrooke, Tecoma and Belgrave could find their properties attacked by wind-borne embers.

The blaze started at Belgrave and is being battled by two water-bombing helicopters.

The five-hectare fire is burning north through the park from a point neat Terrys Avenue and Sandells Road at Tecoma, a Country Fire Authority spokesman said.

Meanwhile, firefighters are building two containment lines between the blaze burning out of control near Alexandra, with the fallback line at Lake Eildon about 20km east.

Fire crews from the Department of Sustainability and Environment and the Country Fire Authority are allowing the fire, part of the Kilmore-Murrindindi Complex, burn up to the containment lines.

The blaze has a 30km front and will reach its first major containment line about 10km from Lake Eildon.

If it manages to jump that, a second containment line is being bulldozed near Lake Eildon.

* Victoria bushfires: Your in-depth coverage
    * Bushfires: Justice Teague to head Royal Commission
    * Caught on camera: Bushfire donations thief strikes again
    * Videos: Latest footage of the bushfires and their aftermath
    * Gallery: Killer bushfires | Reader photos | Tragic victims
    * Interactive map: Bushfires across the state
    * Local updates: Lilydale Leader | Whittlesea | Diamond Valley

By late Sunday afternoon the fire had burnt down to Blue Ridge Rd in the Rubicon Valley, about 10km from Alexandra.

Much of the area is shrouded in smoke.

The northeastern Victorian town is not under threat as the fire is heading slowly east with virtually no wind to fan flare-ups.

Although the fire jumped a containment line behind the Buxton Trout Farm on Sunday afternoon, it was quickly brought under control.

If the blaze continue past Eildon, it will reach terrain that was burned in the 2006-07 alpine fires, which is expected to slow it down even further.

Milder weather, with temperatures around 30 degrees accompanied by relatively high humidity, has eased the fire activity.

The football ground at Alexandra has been transformed into a tent city to house almost 560 firefighters working in shifts.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #57 on: February 15, 2009, 08:00:17 PM »
It makes you wonder if this Belgrave fire is another deliberately lit  >:(. We haven't had any known lightning strikes and the temperature is mild.

Moi

« Reply #58 on: February 15, 2009, 08:04:05 PM »
Foxtel just said it's under control
My daughter got out just in case and is okay.
Yep, makes you wonder doesn't it
There's some sad creatures out there and I hope they send a message to anyone who is found guilty of these crimes  :banghead

bushranger

« Reply #59 on: February 15, 2009, 08:13:04 PM »
Yer like chop their hands off then lets see them start another bloody fire. I hate them all that do this just to get their kicks out of it.