Author Topic: KB's 400th - 25 years ago today  (Read 1618 times)

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
KB's 400th - 25 years ago today
« on: August 06, 2008, 03:39:59 PM »

The day KB tripped the light fantastic at the ‘G’
richmondfc.com.au
By Tony Greenberg
Wed 06 August, 2008

It’s exactly 25 years ago today – August 6, 1983 – that Richmond great Kevin Bartlett made league football history by becoming the first player to reach the 400-game milestone.

The event was celebrated with a week of activity, culminating with Bartlett’s appearance in front of 81,966 fans at the MCG for the Round 19 Richmond-Collingwood game.

Bartlett was 36 years and 153 days old as he proudly strode on to the ‘G’ for a match which had the build-up of a big final, even though both teams had been struggling throughout that season.

Richmond, coached by Bartlett’s teammate in five Tiger premiership triumphs – Francis Bourke – had a 6-12 record going into the game and was in 11th place on the ladder, while Collingwood, with a 9-9 record, was just outside the top five (as it was back then), in sixth spot.

The Tigers looked like celebrating KB’s magic milestone in style when they led by seven points at three-quarter time of a low-scoring battle, but the Magpies finished stronger in the final term to run out 10 point winners.

Nothing, however, could detract from Kevin Bartlett’s super-special day. Tigerland, indeed the whole football world it seemed, was caught in the grip of “Bartlettmania”.

Match details

Richmond                      4.4        7.7        9.12      11.13  (79)
Collingwood                   5.0        7.2        9.5        13.11  (89)

Goals – Richmond:  Roach 4, Weightman 4, Rowlings 2, Egan.  Collingwood:  Walsh 3, Annear 2, Mike Richardson 2, Williams 2, Allan, Banks, Fellowes, Taylor.

The Richmond team that day was:
Kevin Bartlett
Greg Conlan
Phil Egan
Dan Foley
Tim Gepp
Jim Jess
Merv Keane
Graham Landy
Mark Lee
Alan Martello
David Palm
Neil Peart
Maurice Rioli
Michael Roach
Barry Rowlings
Paul Sarah
Greg Strachan
Matthew Wall
Dale Weightman
Robert Wiley

The Collingwood team that day was:
Graeme Allan
John Annear
Dennis Banks
Ricky Barham
Ray Byrne
David Cloke
Peter Daicos
Wes Fellowes
Tony Kelly
Greg Phillips
Billy Picken
Michael Richardson
Tony Shaw
Andrew Smith
Craig Stewart
Michael Taylor
Graham Teasdale
David Twomey
Phillip Walsh

Ironically, four members of that Magpie line-up – Annear, Cloke, Stewart and Walsh – later crossed over to Richmond.

KB had seven kicks in the first quarter and finished with 16 for the match, but for the first time in 27 games, didn’t manage to score a goal.

Ray Byrne, his Collingwood opponent on the day, said to KB as they lined up before the game:  “Fancy all these people coming along to see you play on me.”

Later that night, KB received an envelope from Ray with a toothless comb inside!

Full article at:
http://www.richmondfc.com.au/tabid/6301/Default.aspx?newsid=64911

Offline Darth Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimmasty RFC!
Re: KB's 400th - 25 years ago today
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2008, 10:38:13 PM »
I'm sure Ray Byrne had been pantsed by KB a few times both for Carlscum and the Woodscum.

Would have been counting his blessings Magro had the task on KB in 80.

In saying that it is a pretty good gag, normally Tony (The Minister for Spin) Greenberg would have dug deep to determine whether KB kept the comb.

Ox

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2008, 10:46:53 PM »

Kevin Bartlett :thumbsup
Greg Conlan - Who TF Is this dude?
Phil Egan :thumbsup
Dan Foley
Tim Gepp - LMAO - Can't remember him
Jim Jess
Merv Keane
Graham Landy
Mark Lee
Alan Martello - Hawthorn discard who served us well by memory ????
David Palm
Neil Peart - The drummer from Rush ?
Maurice Rioli
Michael Roach
Barry Rowlings
Paul Sarah - Cute Moustache
Greg Strachan
Matthew Wall - ???
Dale Weightman
Robert Wiley

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2008, 01:33:39 AM »
Greg Conlan only played 3 senior games in his 2 years at Punt Rd. I don't remember him either Ox and had to check the Encyclodpedia of AFL footballers lol.

Matthew Wall was a wingman who played 60 games in and out of the side b/w 80-85.

Tim Gepp is on the match committee for the Eagles now. Some rumours a few weeks ago had him coming back to Punt Rd to take over Miller's role with the Eagles cleaning out their footy dept. As player he had 3 years with us playing 57 games off a HBF before we traded him to Footscray.

Peart was one of the duds we got from Collingwood as "payback" for the Pies grabbing Cloke and Raines. He still played 40 games for us after we traded him to Footscray for year and then took him back.

Greenberg left out that Graham Teasdale was a former Tiger too playing for Collingwood that day.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2008, 08:13:25 AM »

Kevin Bartlett :thumbsup
Greg Conlan - Who TF Is this dude?
Phil Egan :thumbsup
Dan Foley
Tim Gepp - LMAO - Can't remember him
Jim Jess
Merv Keane
Graham Landy
Mark Lee
Alan Martello - Hawthorn discard who served us well by memory ????
David Palm
Neil Peart - The drummer from Rush ?
Maurice Rioli
Michael Roach
Barry Rowlings
Paul Sarah - Cute Moustache
Greg Strachan
Matthew Wall - ???
Dale Weightman
Robert Wiley

A few other clubs 'discards' playing for us.  Graham Landy - HBF/HFF (maybe Ruck Rover) from Geelong, Alan Martello - CHF from Hawthorn (Big Al), Neil Peart - Defender from Collingwood, Barry Rowlings - Midfielder from Hawthorn, Paul Sarah - Rover from Geelong.  Landy, Martello and Rowlings all played some decent footy for us, especially Rowlings.

Tigermonk

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2008, 08:27:59 AM »
KB tripping through the banner was priceless  ;D great little champion, 25 years ago gee l'm ageing

yes Smokey Barry Rowlings was a good footballer breed down here

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2008, 12:35:03 PM »

Greenberg left out that Graham Teasdale was a former Tiger too playing for Collingwood that day.

A former Tiger who was traded to Sth Melbourne along with Brian "The Whale" Roberts and Francis Jackson for John Pitura.  People talk about our recent history of poor trades but nothing in the past 20 years comes anywhere near this blunder.  Pitura was average at best and only lasted a couple of seasons, Teasdale went on to win a Brownlow at the Swans, Jackson played about 100 games for them and The Whale was a shell of his former self.  None of our players wanted to go - especially The Whale who was 'larger than life' (literally) around the club, and it was this single act of complete and utter stupidity that I believe was the catalyst for the beginning of our current malaise.  It tore at the very fabric of the club to lose these players and we never recovered, even though we played in 2 more grand finals the 'team' was never the same.  And just to prove that we were the slowest learners in history we embarked on a very similar path of self destruction after the '82 grand final, taking part in a tit-for-tat trading war with Collingwood that cemented our slide to oblivion.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2008, 12:47:57 PM »

A former Tiger who was traded to Sth Melbourne along with Brian "The Whale" Roberts and Francis Jackson for John Pitura.  People talk about our recent history of poor trades but nothing in the past 20 years comes anywhere near this blunder.  Pitura was average at best and only lasted a couple of seasons, Teasdale went on to win a Brownlow at the Swans, Jackson played about 100 games for them and The Whale was a shell of his former self.  None of our players wanted to go - especially The Whale who was 'larger than life' (literally) around the club, and it was this single act of complete and utter stupidity that I believe was the catalyst for the beginning of our current malaise.  It tore at the very fabric of the club to lose these players and we never recovered, even though we played in 2 more grand finals the 'team' was never the same.  And just to prove that we were the slowest learners in history we embarked on a very similar path of self destruction after the '82 grand final, taking part in a tit-for-tat trading war with Collingwood that cemented our slide to oblivion.

you guys dont know who to blame. one day its the spud, the next day its a recruiting decision back in 1980.

you have got to be joking.
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2008, 05:17:41 PM »

you guys dont know who to blame. one day its the spud, the next day its a recruiting decision back in 1980.

you have got to be joking.
Yes, thats what I do - joke about 26+ years of p..s-poor performance.  Please point out where me (or anyone else on this forum for that matter) said our problems started with Frawley.  He was somewhat of a genius - he took a basket case club to depths no-one could ever dream existed but he certainly didn't start it.  Unless of course, you believe that we actually performed well and were rolling along ok prior to 2000?

And to help fill in the glaring gaps in your knowledge of our club's history, these recruiting decisions started at the end of '74 - just after we had won 2 flags in a row.  Go figure.

I certainly welcome input on this from those who lived through the good times and I'm very happy to debate my contention that this was indeed the 'beginning of the end' but to discuss it with someone who still plays with Matchbox cars - well, I'm just wasting my time.

Ox

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2008, 05:29:39 PM »
Thanks MT.

Goes to show how duds are easily forgotten.

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2008, 08:48:55 PM »
I was at that game :thumbsup

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2008, 08:59:53 PM »
I was there with Ma Powell, remember it well

Goes to show how duds are easily forgotten.

So am I fair in assuming []())(]] that you don't think my old 1982 membership card with Tim Gepp's autograph isn't worth a cracker ;D
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline TFL

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2008, 09:18:34 PM »
As i was fairly young i dont recall a great deal of the game.

Do remember going though and the main thing i recall was buying the WEG posters after the game.

My Dad bought me 2 but i have one remaining which i have had framed and signed by KB.

Offline Tigertailz

• Premiership Captain
  • "here we go again!"
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2008, 10:43:26 PM »
As i was fairly young i dont recall a great deal of the game.

Do remember going though and the main thing i recall was buying the WEG posters after the game.

My Dad bought me 2 but i have one remaining which i have had framed and signed by KB.
Im envious....my weg posters from that game got chucked out when my mum cracked the sh..ts with me when i joined the exodus nth up to queensland in 96 and she decided to clean out anything i left behind!.she also chucked out my weg 67 grand final poster and the 1980 one as well plus every footy record i had since 1977 and heaps of richmond stuff i had collected as a kid.....took me ages to get over it!
i remember that game as i coca cola had just released diet coke and i had a can of it for the first time.i was on the wing 2nd level of the olympic stand right in front of the just about the biggest banner ive seen.took some pics that are lying around in a box somewhere.
overcast day and kb took a screamer on the half foward flank are other memories....i was pretty p..ssed off after the game about losing on kbs big day..they also lost to fitzroy 3 games later at kbs last game ever....but it summed up that whole season as disappointing and was the beginning of a very lousy era for the RFC

Tigermonk

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2008, 12:51:04 PM »
talking about collecting Richmond stuff, l got a poster late 60's, early 70's of a mascot tiger the size of a door, looks a bit like Stripe. had it lamenated to protect it, now that must be priceless  ;D has anybody ever seen these, l think Scanlon made them,  l'm not sure but l will have a look after l finished my renovations & put it up  :thumbsup