Author Topic: Political intrigue a club health gauge (The Age on Richmond)  (Read 2861 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Political intrigue a club health gauge (The Age on Richmond)
« on: August 14, 2008, 01:37:08 AM »
Political intrigue a club health gauge
Jake Niall | August 14, 2008

RICHMOND won 3½ matches last year. Carlton was blessed to win just four, earning a priority pick that made it possible to recruit Chris Judd and Matthew Kreuzer.

In 2008, the Tigers have won 8½ games, while Carlton has nine victories with three rounds remaining. Each has improved by exactly five wins. While neither is likely to play finals, both have outstripped external expectations: the Tigers, remember, were favourites for the wooden spoon, while Carlton was still seen as bottom four or five.

In 2007, the Blues made a huge seven-figure profit after several years in the poor house. The Tigers likewise posted a significant profit — though not quite as impressive as Carlton's — despite a terrible season.

The superficial profiles of the clubs are not dissimilar. Yet, one club is seen to be on the rise and on the brink of a restoration, the other is viewed with less optimism; a sizeable portion of the Richmond faithful remain in their semi-permanent state of dissatisfaction.

In part, the Carlton people are more upbeat because they have belief in their club's capacity to become a powerhouse. The Blues had six shocking years. The Tiges haven't been much chop for a quarter-century; a record of two finals appearances in 25 seasons is not conducive to confidence about the future.

I suspect that Carlton has the greater momentum because it appears settled. Greg Swann is entrenched as chief executive, Brett Ratten is showing early promise as senior coach. Dick Pratt might be gone, but his influence — and money — remains in the background; Pratt is a kind of security blanket for the club's finances.

Despite the major strides they've made, the Tigers don't project the same sense of stability. Their coach, Terry Wallace, has one year to run on his contract and it's clear that the Richmond board is uncertain of whether he'll be retained beyond 2009.

Football department head Greg Miller has been sacked, his powerbase having been steadily eroded over the past two years. There is a push from past player elements for Miller's job to be filled by "a Richmond person" and, it is to be hoped, for the sake of the club, that the board's priority is to find the most able candidate; if he happens to have a yellow-and-black streak, all the better.

The football director on the board, Tony Free, is up for election, having been, in effect, put on notice by the president for exceeding his authority in the wake of Miller's dismissal. Free is an ex-Tiger captain, but he, too, cannot be considered safe.

Chief executive Steven Wright has presided over a solid financial performance and has millions coming from government for the re-development of Punt Road. Wright, who is a Richmond Person, SHOULD be safe.

President Gary March appears to have consolidated his position — given the turnaround, it would not be easy to tip him out. Another year out of the finals in 2009, however, and the rumblings will begin from within the coteries and past players.

March has been careful to appease the various RPs (Richmond Persons), recognising that his predecessor, Clinton Casey, did not display sufficient Richmond-ness; Casey brought Miller, a hired gun from another club, on to the board, which is supposed to be exclusively RP.

Wallace has had four years and must deliver in his fifth. Fair enough. But the Richmond board has to support him unconditionally for the remainder of his contract; it cannot, as past boards have, insist on certain assistants or undermine the coach's authority by issuing subtle — or overt — instructions.

Joel Bowden is out of contract at season's end. Bowden has probably done enough to warrant another year, but the coach — and list manager — should make this call alone.

That Bowden is a son of a premiership player and a prominent RP means that there is potential for past players et al to agitate on his behalf. It's this kind of political intrigue that has made the Richmond coaching position akin to being Sheriff of Sicily; happily, Wallace is versed enough in football politics to negotiate his way through the factional maze.

Richmond is a political club because people think it's a political club. Officials assume that to survive, you need to engage the factions, work the room, keep your friends close and your enemies closer. Would Wallace have invited past players to "mentor" players on the list if he was coaching Hawthorn?

Punt Road might or might not turn out to be at such a dangerous intersection in club history. The point, perhaps, is that at Richmond, you can never be sure.

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/political-intrigue-a-club-health-gauge/2008/08/13/1218307010868.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1

Offline tigersalive

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Political intrigue a club health gauge (The Age on Richmond)
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2008, 10:41:02 AM »
stuff Jake Niall. 

I stopped after the third paragraph.

The guy just loves bagging us in any way possible, especially after everyone else has written a similar subject article, and he comes in with his piece 2 weeks later after he's picked the crap out of other journalists articles.  :sleep :sleep :sleep :sleep :sleep :sleep :sleep :sleep :sleep
EAT EM ALIVE!

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2008, 10:47:06 AM »
eff Jake Niall. 

The guy just loves bagging us in any way possible, especially after everyone else has written a similar subject article, and he comes in with his piece 2 weeks later after he's picked the crap out of other journalists articles.  :sleep :sleep :sleep :sleep :sleep :sleep :sleep :sleep :sleep

Perhaps tigersalive....

But I reckon his article is spot on as it reflects exactly what is going on at the moment ...

Sadly I have to say what he is saying in his article is true and that's why are considered a rabble...

This fixation with "Richmond People" crap is the problem

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Moi

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2008, 11:04:04 AM »
eff Jake Niall. 

Perhaps tigersalive....

But I reckon his article is spot on as it reflects exactly what is going on at the moment ...

Sadly I have to say what he is saying in his article is true and that's why are considered a rabble...

The dilemma with getting Richmond people is, sadly, if you get people from the last 25 years, you get people from our worst era of failure.  If you get people before 1980, they'd be considered to be past it in probably most people's minds. 

Here's something unique, how about we get the best people available, and if they happen to be Richmond people, fantastic  ::)

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2008, 01:09:51 PM »
Here's something unique, how about we get the best people available, and if they happen to be Richmond people, fantastic  ::)

:gobdrop :gobdrop :gobdrop

shame shame shame Moi

Far too much logic in that last statement ;D

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2008, 01:31:12 PM »
eff Jake Niall. 

Perhaps tigersalive....

I agree 100% WP, I can't put forward my point of view any better than that, the article is spot on

Moi is right too, why we persist with trying to get failures to our club, I have no idea

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2008, 03:46:25 PM »
Unfortunately this site reflects everything that is good and bad about our club. We as supporters have no patience or faith in our leaders and are continually seeking to despose of them and get someone better. Unfortunately this has created an unstable, highly political and unproductive environement in which to build from.

Our player list management over the last 25 years can be blamed not just on the coach and recruiters but all the way back to the board who place unrealistic expectations and pressure on the players to gain immediate success or they themselves will be out of a job.

So where is the stability to rebuild, develop and take gambles/risks if the Board is continually pressured to hire coaches to bring immediate success or they and the coaches are quickly moved on.

Our failure as a club is to never have enough stability from the board down to allow us to build a long term list. We have continually traded away early draft picks in hope we see immediate success rather than bring in youth that could possibly bring success to the next coach, board etc.

It makes me incredibly sad to hear posters on here continually following the same path of failure that we have followed for decades. As the saying goes - the definition of madness is doing the same thing over and over again but respecting different results.

If we constantly look to get rid of our board members, recruiters and coaching staff then we are setting ourselves up for failure yet again.  :banghead

We need to stick by our current course and support the long term put in place. The worst thing we can do now is to try and start again because I am sick of short term fixes and mediocre ladder finishers.

I want success as a club and I am willing to put my faith in the board, recruiters and coaches for many more years to come and endure the pain for the now, to achieve it.

Stop calling for sackings and start demanding stability or we will remain the factional, political laughing stock of the competition for decades to come.  :help

Stripes

Moi

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2008, 03:58:42 PM »
Wallace has had four years and must deliver in his fifth. Fair enough. But the Richmond board has to support him unconditionally for the remainder of his contract; it cannot, as past boards have, insist on certain assistants or undermine the coach's authority by issuing subtle — or overt — instructions.
Very poignant comment I think.
I wonder why he made it  :banghead

Offline moose

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2008, 04:02:13 PM »
the jungle drums are beating, dont believe everything you read .  :shh

ah the winds of change  ;)

Moi

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2008, 04:11:01 PM »
I'll take your advice and not believe a word you write  ::)

Offline moose

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2008, 05:04:21 PM »
I'll take your advice and not believe a word you write  ::)

as you wish

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2008, 07:09:09 PM »

ANd don't believe every rumour you get told  ;) 

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2008, 07:11:10 PM »
Unfortunately this site reflects everything that is good and bad about our club. We as supporters have no patience or faith in our leaders and are continually seeking to despose of them and get someone better. Unfortunately this has created an unstable, highly political and unproductive environement in which to build from.

Our player list management over the last 25 years can be blamed not just on the coach and recruiters but all the way back to the board who place unrealistic expectations and pressure on the players to gain immediate success or they themselves will be out of a job.

So where is the stability to rebuild, develop and take gambles/risks if the Board is continually pressured to hire coaches to bring immediate success or they and the coaches are quickly moved on.

Our failure as a club is to never have enough stability from the board down to allow us to build a long term list. We have continually traded away early draft picks in hope we see immediate success rather than bring in youth that could possibly bring success to the next coach, board etc.

It makes me incredibly sad to hear posters on here continually following the same path of failure that we have followed for decades. As the saying goes - the definition of madness is doing the same thing over and over again but respecting different results.

If we constantly look to get rid of our board members, recruiters and coaching staff then we are setting ourselves up for failure yet again.  :banghead

We need to stick by our current course and support the long term put in place. The worst thing we can do now is to try and start again because I am sick of short term fixes and mediocre ladder finishers.

I want success as a club and I am willing to put my faith in the board, recruiters and coaches for many more years to come and endure the pain for the now, to achieve it.

Stop calling for sackings and start demanding stability or we will remain the factional, political laughing stock of the competition for decades to come.  :help

:clapping :clapping :clapping :clapping :clapping :clapping

:congrats

Fantastic post Stripes

Offline moose

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2008, 07:44:07 PM »

ANd don't believe every rumour you get told  ;) 

but what if what i have been told is no rumour! esp when it came directly from "the horses" mouth. and im not referring to mr ed!

;)

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2008, 07:51:05 PM »
but what if what i have been told is no rumour! esp when it came directly from "the horses" mouth. and im not referring to mr ed!

;)

Depends on the horse .....  ::)

If you think instability and being the laughing stock of the competition is a good thing and what you want this for our Club, then good for you

But as I said it depends on the horse and the owners I suppose