Author Topic: Richmond vs Carlton R1 2009  (Read 30848 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Richmond vs Carlton R1 2009
« Reply #195 on: March 25, 2009, 06:02:45 PM »
Fev will probably still play after a jab or two but he won't be anywhere near 100%. Kel make sure you run him around and do the STOMP!  ;)

McGuane is for the tallest forwards. You'd expect him to play on either Cloke or Kreuzer. As TA said Kel usually gets Fev and he's done a good job on him last year. Fev only kicked a couple of late goals last time after the game was over and the Blues midfield was way on top.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Ramps

« Reply #196 on: March 25, 2009, 07:34:19 PM »
We have to be careful that another carlton forward doesnt pop up and slot 4 or 5. In the past that has happened alot.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #197 on: March 25, 2009, 08:17:02 PM »
We have to be careful that another carlton forward doesnt pop up and slot 4 or 5. In the past that has happened alot.
Especially when it's been some nobody on debut who ends up you never ever see again  :scream

Offline 3121

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #198 on: March 25, 2009, 08:29:50 PM »

Our boys will be on the ball on that and would surely be reminded by Terry.  I expect Robinson to be one to pop up and do some damage and as would Garlett, I would also think a late change for them with Scotland out and Armfield in.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Ben Cousins dominates Carlton plans (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #199 on: March 26, 2009, 03:42:33 AM »
Ben Cousins dominates Carlton plans
Jon Ralph | March 26, 2009

BRETT Ratten watched a horror film last week, minus the cheesy American dialogue.

The Blues' second-year coach had witnessed new Tiger Ben Cousins' handy first-up performance live in the Docklands stands, but this was something else altogether.

Days after a scouting party of Carlton coaches flew to the Gold Coast to watch the Richmond-Brisbane Lions clash, Ratten caught it on DVD.

"I saw one game live, and watched a fair bit (of the other) on video," Ratten said this week.

"(Cousins) was very good last week when (Nathan) Foley went off injured with that ankle.

"He went into the midfield and that real run and carry and his ball use was very good, so he was back to getting close to his best."

Cousins at his best would be enough to turn tonight's game into Fright Night for Ratten's Carlton.

In a 15-minute media conference this week, Ratten alternately pumped up the Cousins-Judd hype, then attempted to push the message his Blues were taking on Richmond, not Cousins alone.

But there was no hiding the intent in his voice when describing Cousins' form. He knows the former Eagle will be more than a bit-parts player this year.

"I think the build-up at the start of the season is big. But with Ben and Chris in the game, it will probably take more focus than probably any game for a long time," Ratten said.

The one commodity Ratten is not short on this week is information. Former Eagles coach Darren Harris - now a Blues development coach - has preached about Cousins' work-rate and game style.

And former teammate Judd has been on hand to impart the type of details that might help the Blues combat his rare brilliance.

Richmond has been subtly pushing the message in recent weeks not to expect too much from Cousins early. Even opinions about his 21 possessions against Collingwood were mixed.

Some argued he won easy touches in a free-flowing contest, butchering more than his fair share of them.

But for a player's first real performance in 19 months, it was extraordinary.

His running power was still clearly apparent and he won the ball at will. While he was rusty early, within a quarter he was breaking lines like the Cousins of old.

Now, after a perfect tune-up against Brisbane, Cousins is by his own admission "ready to go".

His preparation in the past month has been perfect, he has three games under his belt and he is quickly adapting to Richmond's game style.

Much has been made of the hamstring struggles in his last year at West Coast.

But in his 11 completed years at West Coast, he averaged 19.5 games a season without one serious injury.

Ratten predicted Cousins would start the game, but expected any head-to-head Cousins-Judd clash to be circumvented by the heavy tag the Blues captain would receive.

But he kept to himself whether the Blues would run a heavy tag on Cousins.

"First game of the season or any game, you respect the player and who they are . . . We look at all their players. This is what we can do and this is how we will stop it. Ben will be in that assessment as well," he said.

Ratten said Bryce Gibbs was a chance to match up on Richardson if the Tigers playmaker started up the ground.

The Blues have noticed Richmond's key backs cannot be dragged up the field, and might try to exploit that tactic. But the line of questioning kept on being dragged back to you know who.

Eventually Ratten drew his own line when the questions persisted.

"This media conference here has been made up of Ben, but Richmond have got another 20-odd players we will focus on," he said.

"Ben will be a part of it, but the impact Matthew Richardson has on the Richmond football team is pretty big.

"Nathan Brown's performance last week was very good. (Jonathan) Brown was in sparking touch -- he looked like he was back in career-best form up in Brisbane.

"And the way Richmond hold back and their backmen don't push out of that back 50 too much, we will have to have a look at that and how we can score, and it doesn't involve Ben, but we will have a look at that."

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,25242809-19742,00.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #200 on: March 26, 2009, 03:58:20 AM »
"Expert" tips

Herald-Sun:  4 - 10 ......... Mike, Sheeds, Robbo and Bruce Matthews tipped us. Yep you guess it - Damian Barrett tipped Carlton  ::).

The Age:  4 - 16  ........ Caro, Rex, Dan Silkstone and a Scottish Terrier.

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #201 on: March 26, 2009, 08:41:18 AM »
Fev will probably still play after a jab or two but he won't be anywhere near 100%. Kel make sure you run him around and do the STOMP!  ;)

What foot has Fev hurt?

If it's his kicking foot and he numbs it up, will it affect his kicking?
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Ramps

« Reply #202 on: March 26, 2009, 11:17:11 AM »
We need to put Carlton to sword early tonight. The first 1/2 has to be a full assault. We shouldnt take the chance that this is a close game going into the second, when games become 30 minute games then it becomes difficult. Hopefully we put them away early.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #203 on: March 26, 2009, 11:42:26 AM »
With Gibbs playing on Richo like he did last time we matched up against the Blues, I suspect he will have another quiet game. Saying this though, Richo was slightly injured last time so maybe he will prove me wrong.

Gartlett on Raines or McMahon will also be interesting. I suspect Rainses will be run down by this fellow creating at least a couple of goals during the game. On the other hand they may use the defensive forward to pressure McMahon desposal thus slowing our drive out of our backhalf. I think the latter is more likely than the former.

Excited about the game and hope Browne and Schulz can shine tonight.

Stripes

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #204 on: March 26, 2009, 12:12:34 PM »
I suspect Rainses will be run down by this fellow creating at least a couple of goals during the game.

Spot on. I had kittens when I saw Raines named in the BP.
Surely Terry's learned by now that the opposition will know to target him at the point of disposal every time.

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #205 on: March 26, 2009, 01:01:49 PM »
Baz on SEN just said that Fev is out and Kreuzer will play FF  :lol

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #206 on: March 26, 2009, 01:20:42 PM »
Baz on SEN just said that Fev is out and Kreuzer will play FF  :lol

:gotigers

Just hope this doesn't hurt the MCC walk up crowd numbers.

Stripes

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #207 on: March 26, 2009, 02:18:08 PM »
If Fev is out then even more we can't drop our guard. They'll be weaker but more unpredictable up forward as they won't be going to Fev 90% of the time.

I loved how jealous Clarkson and Laidley were this morning. Clarkson saying if Hawthorn was first up they would sell out the 'G too and Laidley won't be watching at all  :wallywink.

With Gibbs playing on Richo like he did last time we matched up against the Blues, I suspect he will have another quiet game. Saying this though, Richo was slightly injured last time so maybe he will prove me wrong.
Waite was on Richo last time on a wing and did a reasonable job then took over in the last quarter after Richo went off with that hammy. In round 1 last year Richo up forward gave Jamison a bath.

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #208 on: March 26, 2009, 02:41:04 PM »
If Fev is out then even more we can't drop our guard. They'll be weaker but more unpredictable up forward as they won't be going to Fev 90% of the time.

It was a SEN rumour, so Fev will probably be playing

I loved how jealous Clarkson and Laidley were this morning. Clarkson saying if Hawthorn was first up they would sell out the 'G too and Laidley won't be watching at all  :wallywink.

Only if the MCG gave access to all the pet members Hawthorn has  :lol

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #209 on: March 26, 2009, 06:12:22 PM »
Well I am coming close to posting my last posts for the evening folks because the game starts in 1hr and 20 minutes and I will be watching the delayed telecast at 8.30pm WST. :'(

Good luck to the boys and I really think we need this win first up, no matter what and there can't be any excuses this time like a lot of people did when we lost in the Heritage round.

It is really time for the RFC to stand up and start playing the football that we expect and SHOULD expect. If you say names like; Deledio, Foley, Richardson, Brown, Cousins, Tuck, Newman, Sanchez, Simmonds & Raines you would expect us to win. These players have been in football long enough now to know how to play these games to win.

The rest of the side now needs to stand up and be counted, if we lose this game I really don't give a poo if we make the finals or not. Round one or not this is a must win for this club in more ways than one. We have the whole football world including the team itself and us supporters running around saying how this is a big year for us a ra ra ra and how good we look.

Well I will say it again, no excuses boys.

Nike....... just stuffing do it!!!!!
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"