Author Topic: Tom Hislop [merged]  (Read 23391 times)

richmondrules

Re: Pick 58. Tom Hislop [merged]
« Reply #45 on: November 29, 2008, 08:06:56 PM »
I have answered you in a private message. I think you get to emotional- attacking people who disagree with you. People are entitled to there views.

Why did you need to say this? Looks like your trying to provoke him. If you have PM'd him then why bring it up again in public? Is it important everyone know you PM'd him?

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #46 on: November 29, 2008, 09:30:05 PM »
Welcome Tom, another great fit for the club, by the way are some of the people on this site that don't agree with recruiting Hislop the same ones that actually want Cousins???????? Really have a look at yourselves if you are.
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #47 on: November 29, 2008, 09:37:46 PM »
Welcome Tom, another great fit for the club, by the way are some of the people on this site that don't agree with recruiting Hislop the same ones that actually want Cousins???????? Really have a look at yourselves if you are.

Not me, I dont want Cousins and am a bit puzzled over Hislop.

That the RFC gave Hislop a 2 year contract it would suggest to me that they are convinced his past troubles wont occur again.  On that basis I am prepared to wait and see.

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #48 on: November 29, 2008, 09:42:08 PM »

Not me, I dont want Cousins and am a bit puzzled over Hislop.

That the RFC gave Hislop a 2 year contract it would suggest to me that they are convinced his past troubles wont occur again.  On that basis I am prepared to wait and see.

Very well said chuck and I agree, I have been watching some video af this guy and he can play lets hope he has turned the corner off the feild.
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
Re: Tom Hislop a Tiger?
« Reply #49 on: November 29, 2008, 10:12:35 PM »

Post has played his whole career as a forward except for this year. He has the pace and the marking ability to be a forward.

It really annoys me when someone can sit behind a keyboard and what you tube vids of players for three minutes and then consider themselves qualified to question the clubs recruiting.

If you havent noticed, the clubs biggest needs were addressed on draft day and the trade period.

A grade developong ruckman with a genuine mean streak.
Big Bodied versatile KPf/b
2 tough big bodied midfielders to add to rotations

We now have a developing a grade ruckman that can play as a key forward. We have a 194 cm utility that can play as a key forward or as the biggest key backman of the club, he runs 20 metres in the top 15 percentile of his age and has elite endurance and took 50 more marks than any of his peers last year.

We also two more midfielders to add to our rotations, this means 74kg edwards can learn his trade on the flanks, which is where he belongs .....for now.

As far as this draft goes, we have been very fortunate indeed. But there will always the dropkicks on this site who just love whinging and whining, and that without even having the luxury of ever seeing them play. Its a joke.

We have one more pick remember, and via waiting till psd, we can have the likely applicants train with us.

Couldn't have said it better myself Blaisee.   :clapping

I'm with you guys

Like said we addressed our needs as best as I can possibly tell. We needed talls, bottom line.

Just can't please some people, some will make it, some wont and there will be surprises, just like at every other club.

Gaurenteed whoever we get in the PSD, they will cop a lash from the armchair experts.

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #50 on: November 29, 2008, 11:16:40 PM »
What pee's me off here is people slaging players before they have even played a game in our colours. Do we not all agree that the club is heading in the right direction?? I see todays selections as calculated and accurate. Vickery is a standout and an excellent pick. The so called controversial pick of Hislop was a late one but I feel a good one for one reason...depth! Depth is something that some people seem to forget here. The ready-to-go's in Thomson and Hislop provide us well needed depth with added grunt. These guys will take pressure of developing players like Cotchin & Edwards. They will fill holes when injuries occur and heaven forbid they may actually prove some of the negative posters here wrong and gain well earned regular selections. You can't put players like Thomson & Hislop in the same boat as Kingsley and Graham as someone who's name escapes me did in an earlier post. That sort of ridiculous and outdated comment shows how ignorant some people can be and whatever you do...."Just don't mention the war"  :lol Build a bridge.....

The same guys that bagged the Morton deal are doing exactly the same thing today with Thomson & Hislop and I fear will continue to do so into the future. Very soon these posters will be nothing but white noise to the majority of us who support the club and its endeavours to achieve the perfect mix of players that will bring finals success to Punt Road once again.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #51 on: November 30, 2008, 01:39:56 AM »
Well this post will be popular lol.

I'm happy with our first two picks and I understand the plan to target particular player types we need to balance up our list but there's two assumptions in your post blaisee - (i) that the two recycled mids we have picked up will suddenly play consistently good footy for us in the midfield when they didn't at their respective former club and (ii) that the 'missing' kids we didn't draft instead won't come back to bite us in the long run.

Taking Hislop at 58 cost us a kid the club wanted (McCulloch) and trading pick 42 for Thomson has cost us someone decent like Mitch Banner. The club had planned to use all 4 National draft picks today so they obviously got caught out when all the kids we were keen on for picks 58/70 were gone by pick 70 - Sloane, Bennell, Motlop, Shiels, McCulloch (Source: Duncan on Y&B). Not all would've been gone if we had kept and used picks 42 and 58 on them. It makes a mockery of the lack of depth statement. We caused the apparent lack of depth problem at pick 70 ourselves by going for recycles first with our 3rd and 4th round picks over kids we were actually interested in.

Picking up only 2 kids is totally astonishing to me  :scream. I mean why are putting more dollars, resources, scouts and fancy stat programs into recruiting if we can't be stuffed drafting kids after pick 26 in the first place ???. It is the later picks when you need those extra resources; not for the Tyrone Vickery's of this world who blind freddy can see is hugely talented.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #52 on: November 30, 2008, 06:30:02 AM »
from the Sunday Herald-Sun..

Hislop, 20, was delisted by Essendon after being taken with pick 20 two years ago. He managed only seven games and developed a reputation for poor discipline.

Tigers recruiting manager Francis Jackson is confident Hislop can be a success at Punt Rd.

"Tom is a 20-year-old who we rated highly in the 2006 draft," Jackson said.

"He's had a few issues, but we've spoken to him at length about that and he sat down with Terry (coach Wallace) and had a very good conversation.

"We believe he'll make the most of the second chance. Not too many players get second chances and I'm sure he realises the importance of his work ethic and his attitude.

"We feel he'll add a bit of strength and a bit of toughness to our midfield."

Bombers coach Matthew Knights said the onus was on Hislop to turn things around.

"In my mind I hope it's the jolt in his career he needs," he said.

"It's in his hands now and once you make decisions you don't look back and I wish Tom all the best.

"Let's hope he can make a good fist of it now, because sometimes in this industry you get to a second club and you just don't know about a third."

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,24727127-11088,00.html

Ramps

« Reply #53 on: November 30, 2008, 08:01:52 AM »
I have answered you in a private message. I think you get to emotional- attacking people who disagree with you. People are entitled to there views.

Why did you need to say this? Looks like your trying to provoke him. If you have PM'd him then why bring it up again in public? Is it important everyone know you PM'd him?

Why didnt you include my whole quote? If you had included the whole quote and actually read it, you would have understood what I wrote. Its also interesting to note you said that I have tried to provoke him, Blaisee started this by going on with his nonsense post that some of you have agreed with, maybe you should look on some of the other sites that copied his post ... the responses to it from others were more than interesting.

Anyway I sorted this out with Blaisee yesterday... so for me its over now. We have all get behind all the players.

Anyway, I dont care, I have my opinion, I never slagged any kid, all I ever said was that I wouldnt have taken post because I think he'll be a key defender in AFL terms and we have enough of these already, on the other hand, in just about every post I said that he is a good mark shows good run.

Everyone is entitled to there opinion!

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #54 on: November 30, 2008, 08:18:35 AM »
I am a bit puzzled over the drafting this year, I thought we would only pick up one recycled player and Thomson was that one.  That we have picked up two midfielders that I dont think will become elite players would probably mean the RFC believes a bit of depth is all that is needed for our midfield.  I wonder how far they go in the psyche testing on players like Hislop?.

Our past recycled players in recent times I can't complain about Polly and Morton, and even McMahon performs a role in the side.  At least our drafting of recycled players is in the right age bracket with potential, although I do prefer when they are ex pat Vics that were initially drafted interstate.

Time will tell.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #55 on: November 30, 2008, 08:31:07 AM »
Well this post will be popular lol.

;D

I'm happy with our first two picks and I understand the plan to target particular player types we need to balance up our list but there's two assumptions in your post blaisee - (i) that the two recycled mids we have picked up will suddenly play consistently good footy for us in the midfield when they didn't at their respective former club and (ii) that the 'missing' kids we didn't draft instead won't come back to bite us in the long run.

Those assumptions are double-edged conundrums that only hindsight can settle.   Who is to say that both recycled kids won't make it and that the missing draft picks would have?  At this point all we can do is place our trust in the football department that they have done their homework well enough to minimise the risk and maximise the potential return, then sit back and watch what happens.  It doesn't worry me that other people have different opinions but does frustrate me when those opinions slam the decisions made before any of the new recruits have even pulled on a Richmond training jumper.

Taking Hislop at 58 cost us a kid the club wanted (McCulloch) and trading pick 42 for Thomson has cost us someone decent like Mitch Banner. The club had planned to use all 4 National draft picks today so they obviously got caught out when all the kids we were keen on for picks 58/70 were gone by pick 70 - Sloane, Bennell, Motlop, Shiels, McCulloch (Source: Duncan on Y&B). Not all would've been gone if we had kept and used picks 42 and 58 on them. It makes a mockery of the lack of depth statement. We caused the apparent lack of depth problem at pick 70 ourselves by going for recycles first with our 3rd and 4th round picks over kids we were actually interested in.

We might have been interested in them but knowing the impact we still chose to trade pick 42 for Thomson so unless you believe that collectively the current football department are completely moronic and did no due diligence then we (as supporters) will be far better served waiting to see how it all plays out before slamming the trade/draft outcome.  We only rated those guys above between 58 to 70 so let's not overstate how good we thought they might/might not be.  We picked up 2 kids that filled gaps in our list structure and we were in the fortunate position of having some 'street cred' on which to base our decisions - we could be much more confident that the 2 we chose can compete at the level - our challenge is to provide the environment and impetus to bring out their obvious potential.

Picking up only 2 kids is totally astonishing to me  :scream. I mean why are putting more dollars, resources, scouts and fancy stat programs into recruiting if we can't be stuffed drafting kids after pick 26 in the first place ???. It is the later picks when you need those extra resources; not for the Tyrone Vickery's of this world who blind freddy can see is hugely talented.

Here is the biggest issue to me.  We DID pick up kids, they are 21 and 22, and they have now both done the 'growing time' that most kids need to do.  Bodywise they are ready to go now, no waiting for a couple of years like any other kids we would have chosen, no worrying if they can in fact compete at the level.  If all the dollars and scouts and stat programs collectively decided that the best outcome for the club was to go with Thomson and Hislop then why is it a waste of resources?  Personally I'm more confident that spending the money has possibly helped us identify the best outcome for the club 'outside the traditional square' of drafting all newbies.  Remember, we didn't draft has-beens or mid-range ages, we drafted kids - all 4 of them.  The only difference was that we have some knowns with 2 of our choices, unlike the other clubs that have taken a bigger risk on all their choices.

It's all a guessing game at this time of the year and all of our opinions don't count for squat but I wish some people would cut the decision-makers some slack and give them credit for knowing and doing their job until the facts can speak for themselves.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 10:48:28 AM by smokey_58au »

Offline Jacosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • No bish fish, the moon wasnt right.
« Reply #56 on: November 30, 2008, 10:42:45 AM »
so when are you running for office smokey  :bow

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #57 on: November 30, 2008, 02:40:49 PM »

Post has played his whole career as a forward except for this year. He has the pace and the marking ability to be a forward.

It really annoys me when someone can sit behind a keyboard and what you tube vids of players for three minutes and then consider themselves qualified to question the clubs recruiting.

If you havent noticed, the clubs biggest needs were addressed on draft day and the trade period.

A grade developong ruckman with a genuine mean streak.
Big Bodied versatile KPf/b
2 tough big bodied midfielders to add to rotations

We now have a developing a grade ruckman that can play as a key forward. We have a 194 cm utility that can play as a key forward or as the biggest key backman of the club, he runs 20 metres in the top 15 percentile of his age and has elite endurance and took 50 more marks than any of his peers last year.

We also two more midfielders to add to our rotations, this means 74kg edwards can learn his trade on the flanks, which is where he belongs .....for now.

As far as this draft goes, we have been very fortunate indeed. But there will always the dropkicks on this site who just love whinging and whining, and that without even having the luxury of ever seeing them play. Its a joke.

We have one more pick remember, and via waiting till psd, we can have the likely applicants train with us.

Couldn't have said it better myself Blaisee.   :clapping

No surprises you 2 clowns agree with each other.
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #58 on: November 30, 2008, 02:44:29 PM »

stuff cousins.

Hislop is another great find for the RFC just like Mcmahon, Kingsley, Graham, Meyer and Tambling are.

BEST DRAFT IN GOD KNOWS HOW MANY YEARS AND WHAT DO WE DO?????

Pick up a recycled reject and dump Meyer for similar reasons. Now i dont expect an old fart like yourself to understand common sense but from where im standing thats anothr pathetic recruiting decision.
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #59 on: November 30, 2008, 02:50:52 PM »

stuff cousins.

Hislop is another great find for the RFC just like Mcmahon, Kingsley, Graham, Meyer and Tambling are.

BEST DRAFT IN GOD KNOWS HOW MANY YEARS AND WHAT DO WE DO?????

Pick up a recycled reject and dump Meyer for similar reasons. Now i dont expect an old fart like yourself to understand common sense but from where im standing thats anothr pathetic recruiting decision.
Best draft in what? 2 years? Pfft
The top 25-30 were very good then it dropped away quickly, why else do you think the first two rounds went quickly and then it ground to a halt later on?
Hislop was a TOP 20 PICK from that 2006 Superdraft which was far better than this years crop
As for including Tambling in your list, well that just highlights your limited mental power doesn't it