Author Topic: Tigers of old out in cold (Herald-Sun) / Should our 30+ y.o. play beyond 2009?  (Read 3942 times)

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Tapping Richo on the shoulder and suggesting its time to retire is the same as the  local vet recommending its time to put down the much loved family dog.You Know its probably for the best....but are never ready to say goodbye.
:lol

Matthew Richardson (34) - I don't want to even speculate. I hope he goes out on his own terms.

Aha just found the person who put the mockers on Richo  ;D

On the thread topic at the start of the year I would have said just Richo and a maybe on Cuz to see how he went around in 2009.  However seeing Bowden's form this year I would place him in the maybe bucket as well.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
At this stage I would be happy for Bowden, Simmonds, Johnson to give it away.

Hope Cousins can play in 2010.

Maybe give Richo another year out of the goal square as out Al Lynch type

Offline DallasCrane

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • roll on 2011
Just like the big mare Sunline had to be put down last week for her own good, it is time at the end of the season for the Tiges to erect the big canvas screen around Richo, and metaphorically speaking, bring out the double barrel shotgun.
It will be for his and everyone's good.
Does he deserve 300 games? Yes
Will he get it? No
New coach = No Richo

Tuckerbag is right, we may have seen the last of him.
Experience is a good school. But the fees are high.
Heinrich Heine

Hellenic Tiger

At this stage I would be happy for Bowden, Simmonds, Johnson to give it away.

Hope Cousins can play in 2010.

Maybe give Richo another year out of the goal square as out Al Lynch type

Hope so but Lynch had a wonderful midfield in front of him skillswise so that helps whereas I can't see us rectifying that soon. Would not like his chances though if someone in the next 16 games steps up to the plate however as he may retire.

Simmonds Brown Johnson Bowden Richo. All should go at the end of the year.
New era for the club began today as personally I think Richo won't get back this year.
I think the Hawthorn home game in Round 21 or the Collingwood game most preferably in Round 20 will be the swansong on field for some of these boys and a pre or post game ride in a Toyota Hilux around the G for some others to give us a chance to say godbye as we play W Coast in Perth in rd 22.
That way we can say ggodbye to all of them in one swoop and get on with things. It will be emotional for all of us but it needs to be done. :-[
Collingwood in round 20 is the logical choice for me.
Home game biggest rivals and spoiling their top 4 or top 8 chances to boot as part of a side dish to all the retirees.  :thumbsup

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Simmonds Brown Johnson Bowden Richo. All should go at the end of the year.
It's ironic that the 30+ year old that probably had the biggest question mark over his future (not just from a footy p.o.v. either) is now looking like the only one who could still be around in 2010.

If the casualty rate is 5 of them this will alter things dramatically from the list management side of things. You can only cut so many players and if the oldies are 5 of them then that'll "save" some in their 20s who would've gone first if most of the oldies had continued on in form and fitness from 2008. Also if Joel and Richo both retire then we'll have no veterans in 2010 which means our senior list will only have 38 players compared to 40 now and we'll have up to 8 rookies.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
Richardson, Cousins - keep

Bowden - 75%

Brown, Simmonds - 25%

Johnson -  :'(

as of Round 6.

Offline tiger till i die

• RFC Hall of Fame
Tapping Richo on the shoulder and suggesting its time to retire is the same as the  local vet recommending its time to put down the much loved family dog.You Know its probably for the best....but are never ready to say goodbye.

but at least let him have a full season next year .... Its away of saying thanks for all those great spekies and goals when we needed them ... if the just say get out , i will consider droping my membership

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com

Bowden - 75%

Brown, Simmonds - 25%

as of Round 6.
I know Joel has been good the past couple of weeks but this is his final year. Both he and Sugar will retire come round 22.

Offline tigerfan1961

• Jack Dyer medallist

Bowden - 75%

Brown, Simmonds - 25%

as of Round 6.
I know Joel has been good the past couple of weeks but this is his final year. Both he and Sugar will retire come round 22.
Joel to me is one of two of the 5 I would retain- he has poise on the ball, never panics when challenged, makes good decisions and kicks it well- a real smart player IMO. The other is Cuz, but as everyone has said, injury durability will tell the tale there.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland

Bowden - 0%

Brown, Simmonds - 0%

Johnson -  0%
Fixed

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com

Bowden - 0%

Brown, Simmonds - 0%

Johnson -  0%
Fixed
That's what it is looking like Infamy.

Offline camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame

Bowden - 0%

Brown, Simmonds - 0%

Johnson -  0%
Fixed
That's what it is looking like Infamy.

Its a pity that there is a suggestion that this will be a weak draft as I would suggest there will not only be the older player that will be looked at. I am guessing on current form we might have at least 8 national draft picks.

Offline H Tiger

• Premiership Captain
  • Tigers the biggest hunter
Well Cuz will at least be fresh. Out for three weeks in for one....... There is a joke there somewhere........ :lol

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
Keep Simmonds for 1 more year.
Maybe cousins
Off load the rest.
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Keep Simmonds for 1 more year.
Maybe cousins
Off load the rest.
How could you possibly want to keep Simmo and get rid of Richo?
Have you watched any of our games this year?