Author Topic: what do you think?  (Read 2309 times)

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: what do you think?
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2009, 12:33:37 PM »
So let me get this straight- our list when TW took over was "no good" so he got rid of alot of them, drafted SOME kids and because of this he has done a good job! Like i said before you don't have to be Einsteine to work out that had to be done. Simple stuff really. I just don't get what you see he has done so great for our club, i really cannot!
As for the ages of players and age brackets, it's all crap! You say we don't have good leaders BUT again TW has had control over this for the last 5 years. I know what you will say about that but should we keep these guys on our list if they are no good only because of there ages?
Finally are we at where you thought we would be 4 and a bit years after TW took over?  If not then maybe just maybe Terry has failed.

Firstly MT - great post and bojangles and camboon you make a lot of sense too!

Bigtone - I don't think I have a hope in hell of changing your opinion of TW or our coaching situation in general...but that won't stop me trying! ;)

I think TW has done the job he said he would regarding rebuilding our list. The proof is in the percentage of players that are now on the list compared to who was on the list before. He has built us a list founded with youth to build from. Now you can argue the strength and development of those players but we still have a basis of a good team which is in its infancy now.

MT has done a brilliant explaining what TW hoped would play out compared to what actually occurred but in essence our older players inconsistent form and leadership, injured to key players (Simmonds, Cogs etc) and high draft picks underperforming (JON, Meyer, Bling, Hughes, Casserly, etc) have been his downfall.

I think if anything our players have let down the club more so than the coach and in particular our senior players. You can not expect a coach to demand immediate success from raw new recruits, it is from the older and experienced leaders than drive on field success. The reality is when just don't have leaders of the type of caliber you require to create finals success at our club at the moment and you can't blame the current coach or recruiters for that. In fact TW pointed out our lack of voice and spirit when he first arrived and bringing in players such as Riewoldt and Cotchin were an attempt to correct this problem in the future. You can't create good leaders out of thin air.

You're right I will say that you can't get rid of all the senior players when the rest of the list is 18-19 year olds. There was so much deadwood on our list that the senior players we have left are the best of a bad bunch. You can't get rid of everyone without having replacements ready and look at the outcry there has been at Tigerland with even the suggestion Richo could be asked to retire. Many supporters would react in similar ways if players such as Bowden and Brown were asked to retire too. Now is the time to move them on but TW didn't have that opportunity until now.

As for what else he has done well TW was the right coach for the time plain and simple. One of his strengths is he is media savvy. He was able to 'keep the wolves at bay' so to speak and give the club the space and time to attempt to rebuild. Our coaches over the last 27 years have been too scared to even attempt to rebuild. They were in self preservation mode from day one of their contracts knowing that the supporters and administration demanded immediate success and if they didn't give it too them they were gone. This is why we have traded away so many of our high draft picks to get other clubs rehashed has-beens. It is why we have never had a team of any worth and why no coach of any worth has wanted to work at Richmond.

TW sold a message, a plan and a goal and that allowed the club to at least TRY to rebuild. Any other coach would have lost the natives and we would have been traveling down the same path of self destruction once again.

So you ask me whether I thought we would be where we are now - yes I did. Did I hope we would be further advanced - bloody oath I did, but reality and hope are two completely different things. Before you cast TW aside realize that our problem at Tigerland is not of his making and that at least he attempted to fix it. For too long our coaches have been the scapegoat for our failure as a club but we need to start pinpointing the real issues and target them instead.

Stripes

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2009, 06:04:29 PM »
To be totally honest Stripes everything you have said is just words to me (no disrespect) except the second line.  :thumbsup
Just like me i don't think there is anything i can say to change your opinion on TW, BUT if he has done so well why will he be gone at seasons end?
Surely if even half the stuff you say is right the people in the know at Tigerland would reappoint him or are they all bummies too!
Or maybe you and Terry were the only two who thought we would be where we are after nearly five years!
All i know is i will have a big smile on my face when Terry walks out the doors at Punt road!  :)

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2009, 08:53:17 AM »
To be totally honest Stripes everything you have said is just words to me (no disrespect) except the second line.  :thumbsup
Just like me i don't think there is anything i can say to change your opinion on TW, BUT if he has done so well why will he be gone at seasons end?
Surely if even half the stuff you say is right the people in the know at Tigerland would reappoint him or are they all bummies too!
Or maybe you and Terry were the only two who thought we would be where we are after nearly five years!
All i know is i will have a big smile on my face when Terry walks out the doors at Punt road!  :)

I think TW thought he would be playing finals this year otherwise he would not have been happy to allow the media to build up the hype and high expectation for the team during preseason.

I won't be happy to see TW leave because put simple, it would mean we have failed as a club once more and have to start all over again with a new coach who is bound to lead us to success - nothing to do with the players of course.... ;)

Thanks for the debate

Stripes

Ox

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2009, 09:25:07 AM »
Lmao @ Stripes signing off on every stuffen post.

Stripes. :scream :wallywink

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2009, 10:47:18 AM »
Lmao @ Stripes signing off on every effen post.

I do it just to pee you off Oxy - by the way how do I get my name trademarked again....  :P ::) People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones bigfella.  ;)

STRIPES[/u][/i]

Ox

« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2009, 12:18:15 PM »

I do it just to pee you off Oxy - by the way how do I get my name trademarked again....  :P ::) People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones bigfella.  ;)

STRIPES[/u][/i]

Signing off on every post is more tragic than Jovially trademarking ones name.

Stripes.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2009, 01:46:23 PM »

STRIPES[/u][/i]

Signing off on every post is more tragic than Jovially trademarking ones name.

Stripes.

OK if you believe that.

Stripes

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2009, 06:32:18 PM »

I think TW thought he would be playing finals this year otherwise he would not have been happy to allow the media to build up the hype and high expectation for the team during preseason.

I won't be happy to see TW leave because put simple, it would mean we have failed as a club once more and have to start all over again with a new coach who is bound to lead us to success - nothing to do with the players of course.... ;)

Thanks for the debate

Stripes
Seems Plough knows his fate and maybe there's a clue from his EOTT report to when he'll publicly confirm it's over for him - ie. give it another month or so.

"With the start to the season that we’ve had, we need to string a month of victories together very soon, or time will run out.  That is the group’s challenge."

http://210.50.4.102/rfc/
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2009, 06:46:18 PM »

STRIPES[/u][/i]

Well if it is going to p1ss ox off then I'm in.

'65

Jackstar is back

« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2009, 07:13:30 PM »
Ditto
jackstar is back
or should i sign off with a  ;)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2009, 07:18:52 PM »
or should i sign off with a  ;)

Perhaps you should trade mark it with a JSIB at the end
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2009, 07:19:55 PM »
Have we as a footy club jeopardised the chance for success trying to get rid of the tag of a club that sacks coaches?

Tend to agree with that.  Think I made a comment in about 2007 that the writing was on the wall with Wallace in 2006.  But what would I know?  Anyway, here we are, treading water.  Again.

We're too busy trying to get rid of a tag, instead of developing a successful club.  And the way RFC has gone about its coaching contracts over the years makes you think that they actually have no idea if and when a coach is doing a good job or not.  Simply because it seems they’ve generally waited for the media and/or supporters to tell them when things are not right and that they need to get rid of the coach.

Shouldn’t they have an understanding themselves, without needing the outside world to tell them they need a change?  Why can those on the outside see clearer than those on the inside?  You can only assume they don’t know themselves.

Keeping a coach on just for appearances sake is just as unprofessional as sacking a coach because the footy world says you should.

Maybe one day RFC will finally get in the real world, and actually come to recognise that they need to have some understanding of the capabilities of its footy department, and what constitutes progress in its players, as individuals and as a team.
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.