Author Topic: Next Coach  (Read 2770 times)

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Next Coach
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2009, 09:25:42 PM »
What about Ash Prescott, he deserves a mention maybe an interview!

Now that we are over that one......... ::), we can move right along.
Just to play Devils advocate.....Ashley Prescott did very well as senior coach of Claremont in the WAFL...took them to a couple of GFs.Was even named state coach in 2007.
He has done a good old fashioned apprenticeship....Hes not a "Big Name" but neither was Clarkson when he started.
Unleash the tornado

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2009, 09:49:04 PM »
Yeah fair enough mat, who knows which way it will go.
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2009, 09:52:07 PM »
Watching the interview with Williams in the rooms straight after the game he seemed to go to an extraordinary length to talk us up as opposition.  I thought at the time he seemed to be either making a very public show of support for Wallace or laying the groundwork for a tilt at a coaching position.  I might be wrong but it just really stood out to me - he was almost falling over his own words in an effort to get them out.

for one of the very few times since i joined this forum i actually agree with you. I felt the same dawson listening to Choco.

It actually was good to listen to a coach pay us respects like that. I like Choco as a person and a coach. Top Bloke!!
Compare that to Buckley!! If some think he is the right man for this job they are kidding yourself. He dislikes everything about us, aka T.Shaw

I would find it very interesting to see Bucks attitude change if Mick gets signed up by the Pies for another few years.

I could put my house on it that his views would change and change very quickly.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2009, 10:48:51 PM »
Just to play Devils advocate.....Ashley Prescott did very well as senior coach of Claremont in the WAFL...took them to a couple of GFs.Was even named state coach in 2007.
He has done a good old fashioned apprenticeship....Hes not a "Big Name" but neither was Clarkson when he started.
Would like to see him as an assistant coach at a successful AFL club first, big step up from WAFL to senior coach in the AFL

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2009, 11:27:21 PM »
Would like to see him as an assistant coach at a successful AFL club first, big step up from WAFL to senior coach in the AFL
Correct...He probably needs a few years in the AFL system....But while Campbell was walking dogs in NYC-Ash was coaching in Grand finals at WAFL level.
Unleash the tornado

Offline 1980

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2009, 11:35:34 PM »

By all accounts he is currently doing a great job with the bombers

Online TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2009, 10:14:32 AM »
Is this another next coach thread, eff me that must be about 50 now, at least 2-3 of these are started every week. Could the moderators plaese make one a sticky thread and delete all the others.??????????

Sorry champ not all of us are on here every second to read and chat about it. If your don't want to read or talk about it then don't open it.
Go Tigers!

Online TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2009, 10:16:32 AM »
Watching the interview with Williams in the rooms straight after the game he seemed to go to an extraordinary length to talk us up as opposition.  I thought at the time he seemed to be either making a very public show of support for Wallace or laying the groundwork for a tilt at a coaching position.  I might be wrong but it just really stood out to me - he was almost falling over his own words in an effort to get them out.

Smokey I 100% agree, quotes like we'll be headaches for sides leading into finals etc and that how good was the footy game that both sides gave 100%. He was very pro opposition instead of talking about how his boys let us in and were poor to let us in. Instead he talked up our endevour to get back into the contest.
Go Tigers!

Online TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2009, 10:20:59 AM »

By all accounts he is currently doing a great job with the bombers

I really liked Prescott as a player. I certainly wouldn't be disappointed if we went with Prescott. Would leave a bit of cash in the bank and with maybe a smaller player list we can really pumped some cash into our football department and reap rewards that way.
Go Tigers!

Offline wayne again

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2009, 11:25:24 AM »
Dream time at the G next week !!   sellout !! 1 care taker coach SHEEDY :gobdrop
That would put excitment into the game sheeds in the Tiger kit.
He would be good for the young blokes i would think.

I stress caretaker only. Even if it is for this one game only against the bombers.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2009, 11:26:17 AM »
Dream time at the G next week !!   sellout !! 1 care taker coach SHEEDY :gobdrop
That would put excitment into the game sheeds in the Tiger kit.
He would be good for the young blokes i would think.

I stress caretaker only. Even if it is for this one game only against the bombers.

Aint gonna happen
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Looking for a coach? Call us (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2009, 02:22:41 AM »
Looking for a coach? Call us
Jon Ralph | May 30, 2009

WELCOME to the new face of AFL headhunting.

For generations football clubs hired their coaches and senior administrators with little more than a wink, a nudge and a firm handshake.

In the past decade, Geoff Slade and Laurie Serafini have helped revolutionise AFL recruitment by head-hunting Andrew Demetriou, Brian Cook, Neil Balme, Cameron Schwab, Steven Icke and James Fantasia.

And with seven senior coaches out of contract at year's end, the pair are already talking with AFL clubs.

Slade, the founder of the Slade Group and former part-owner of the Sydney Swans, has joined former Fitzroy full-back and current Brisbane Lions board member Serafini to form football's leading recruiting partnership.

Slade hired AFL officials Demetriou, Ben Buckley, Ian Anderson and Ross Smith for then chief executive Wayne Jackson almost a decade ago, and the sports sector of his recruiting firm has exploded since.

If a club wants to hire a coach or senior administrator, Slade can have a short list of candidates within 48 hours.

Slade's recruiting department is constantly mapping the progress of many potential candidates, so if they don't already know you, you are probably in trouble.

"I am already in discussions with some of the clubs, the obvious clubs, to try to assist them in that role - to have a tight process, and the independent third party who can provide the interview skills to talk to the parties, and then, upon their direction, go through that process," Serafini said.

Slade said too many clubs fell into the mistake of choosing with only their heart.

"A lot of clubs make mistakes. It is such a passionate business, and clubs tend to hire with passion as well, and we can bring complete objectivity," Slade said.

It was revealed only when Leigh Matthews stepped down after last season that the Lions had met Michael Voss early that year to initiate succession planning. Serafini said clubs with out-of-contract senior coaches were undertaking similar discussions now.

"Privately, there would be a lot going on. It is a vital cog in the machine and you can't leave it until July 1 or after the Grand Final," Serafini said.

"There would be a lot of talking going on at those particular clubs. You are just trying to get your ducks in a row."

Coaches and administrators are increasingly being subjected to a battery of tests as part of the interview process.

"If a club knows they want one of three people, we can provide behavioural testing, personality testing, psychological testing. It's nice to know if a couple of red flags go up," Slade said.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,25558636-19742,00.html

Offline sabartooth

• Big Griff's Official Mentor !
  • Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2009, 09:07:39 PM »
no need for head hunters just ring up hardwick and offer him to coach the best team in afl
2 years into a 35 year plan

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2009, 10:47:39 PM »
no need for head hunters just ring up hardwick and offer him to coach the best team in afl

yep ur only as good as ur last game and tonight we are winners

Ox

« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2009, 10:52:06 PM »
what a pack of coach whores