Author Topic: Playing the kids  (Read 1804 times)

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Playing the kids
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2009, 04:03:45 PM »
I would argue (strongly) that Silvestor deserves to be promoted before Gourdis as he hhas played strong consisted footy for the entire time he's been on the rookie list. From the games I've seen him play his actually improved in areas that many were questioninig (eg his pace). We need to see if he is up to AFL standard, we aint going to see it if he is running around for Coburg

Just on this freebie rokiie elevation in a few weeks - can we only elevate the one? Or are Clubs able to rotate their rookies through e.g Elevate Slivestor for 3 weeks, then put him back on the rookie list and then elevate Browne for 3, then Gourdis or is it one player only with no option of rotating them?

On consistent form I would have to agree that Silvester does deserve the call up before Gourdis. Also Gourdis can be retained on the rookie list next year while Silvester can not so we should give him a chance before he is moved on. With Gourdis though, there is far more upside to him performing at AFL level than another backman. We desperately need a KPP forward to accompany Jack while we are fairly well covered in the backline. In addition, Gourdis is still likely to improve at his age while Silvester has almost reached his peak age.

So while I think Silvester deserves a chance to prove his worth, I still think Gourdis remains a better potential long term prospect.

Just my opinion of course

Stripes

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2009, 09:41:08 PM »
On consistent form I would have to agree that Silvester does deserve the call up before Gourdis. Also Gourdis can be retained on the rookie list next year while Silvester can not so we should give him a chance before he is moved on. With Gourdis though, there is far more upside to him performing at AFL level than another backman. We desperately need a KPP forward to accompany Jack while we are fairly well covered in the backline. In addition, Gourdis is still likely to improve at his age while Silvester has almost reached his peak age.

So while I think Silvester deserves a chance to prove his worth, I still think Gourdis remains a better potential long term prospect.

Just my opinion of course

Stripes

From a long term view I agree with you Stripes. But with option of Gourdis being a rookie in 2010 there is still times for long term planning with him.

One of the reasons I push the Silvestor option is because I reckon we have seen this year that KPP backs are still quite fragile.

Thursfield being dropped after round 1 (quite rightly I might add) showed that we still have issues down there when we don't have our main 3 in the side (3 being Moore, McGuane, Thursfield) and also at times body size wise they struggle. We've gone back to throwing Bowden J, back there and that isn't good. I think Silvestor being a bigger body would add a bit more strength and size down there on the much bigger opposition KPP forwards.

AS I said I reckon he has earnt his chance, if he fails we haven't lost anything, if he succeeds then it's a win for the RFC

:thumbsup

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2009, 10:20:18 PM »
i suspect that given the dearth of forwards at tigerland that Gourdis may get a chance sooner rather than later, particularly once a caretaker assumes control...unfortunately silvestor is a defender only and we have a stockpile there
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled