Author Topic: What do we think of the meaningless draw?  (Read 1921 times)

Jackstar is back

Re: What do we think of the meaningless draw?
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2009, 10:16:01 PM »
I am not in the mood for "perspective" MT

Walking back to the car and listening to people complaining that we drew this game .... well I find it gut wrenching
Blame the system WP that rewards losing over winning  :banghead.

I can understand supporters being gutted after coughing up a 7 goal lead WP but comments like Jack's that we are going nowhere is nothing but a chicken little statement.

Realise this MT.
We have too many players that WE CANT GET RID of.
We cant trade and we can just drop off as there contracted.
We are basically going no where, we are stuck in neutral at the moment, or like Chris Newman captaincy, doing circles in the Marina, lol

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2009, 10:33:21 PM »
I am not in the mood for "perspective" MT

Walking back to the car and listening to people complaining that we drew this game .... well I find it gut wrenching

I can understand supporters being gutted after coughing up a 7 goal lead WP but comments like Jack's that we are going nowhere is nothing but a chicken little statement.

Realise this MT.
We have too many players that WE CANT GET RID of.
We cant trade and we can just drop off as there contracted.
We are basically going no where, we are stuck in neutral at the moment, or like Chris Newman captaincy, doing circles in the Marina, lol
No player is unriddable contract or not. Pay them out if need be (hello Jordie). If we can't get rid of al them because we won't have 10 picks then play them in the Coburg ressies next year. The new coach will get at least 2 years. By his second year they'll be gone if he's smart unlike Plough. In two drafts you can clean them out.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Jackstar is back

« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2009, 10:38:38 PM »
yep, can just see it now, yet another 5 year plan :banghead

We wont be paying anyone contract out, we are stuck these players.
King , McMahon, Schulz etc etc

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2009, 11:19:25 PM »
yep, can just see it now, yet another 5 year plan :banghead

We wont be paying anyone contract out, we are stuck these players.
King , McMahon, Schulz etc etc
Not sure about Kingy. I heard his 2 year deal was performance-based on his first year. As for the rest most new coaches have to put up with players they don't want in their first year. The difference between a good coach and a bad one is a good one cuts these remaining older list cloggers as soon as they are out of contract (if he can't trade them away) and replace them with youth via the draft.

Jackstar is back

« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2009, 11:25:34 PM »
what do you do with Connors and Hughes , wave them goodbye.
We should have a mass cleanout.
I can name 10-12 without even trying

Offline 1980

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2009, 11:49:21 PM »
I thought I couldn't feel much worse after last week

Today was a shocker - so gutted. I got home and said I don't think I can do this anymore.

We lost the un-looseable.

If this is what tanking is about then count me out (not that i was ever in).

Can anyone explain to me that how getting a priority pick or the first pick in the draft is suddenly going to create a winning a culture at this footy club?

To lose a game (and beleive me we LOST) like we did today just continues to foster a culture that is unacceptable that has consumed us for 27 years .. but hey at least at the end of it we can say we have some decent picks coming up 

:thumbsup

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2009, 02:29:58 AM »
Connors stays. He hasn't had a preseason in his whole time at the club. Busted his foot before 2008 and then like Cotch trained too hard too fast and inflammed his achilles then hurt his ankle.

As for Cleve - yeah wave him goodbye. We still need to draft another big tall key forward but seeing Post, Vickery and Jack makes this decision easier. JON can join him as well.

10-12 names? Maybe more including retirees and delisted rookies.....

Retired: Bowden, Brown, Simmo, Sugar, Polak
Goodbye: Cleve, JON, Petts, Patto
Contracted: McMahon, Schulz, Thomson, King?
Rookies: Gourdis, Silvester

Not unrealistic to cut that many and replace with youth over two drafts 2009-10. A simple criteria would be anyone who has had 4-5 years in the system and hasn't cemented themselves in our 22 is goodbyed.

Joel's a outside veteran so he isn't taking up a senior list spot. Joel retiring will free up another rookie list spot. Same goes for Richo when he retires at the end of 2010.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 04:13:51 AM by one-eyed »

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2009, 03:42:03 AM »

you reckon the 12th player we draft is going to have more potential upside than Connors?

:-X

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2009, 04:01:59 AM »
I can't see us getting rid of any more than 8 players from the senior list, you can't make too many changes in one year
Hopefully a few trades can be made to gain us some half decent picks, Brown & Newman would see what we can get for them, McMahom for a half sucked twistie would be a massive win for us

I can't see us still picking players in the 7th round of the National Draft, all that will do is give more kids for our feral supporters to label as duds.

Wouldn't surprise me to have more activity in the PSD though in drafting a couple of youngsters in order to beat the GC17th first 5 rookie picks (or is that next year?)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2009, 04:15:17 AM »
Wouldn't surprise me to have more activity in the PSD though in drafting a couple of youngsters in order to beat the GC17th first 5 rookie picks (or is that next year?)
This year's rookie draft

Ramps

« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2009, 04:18:56 AM »
I think some decent recruiting/trading- smart recruiting and some good early selections at the draft table can help us.

We need a big forward
We need some extra class in the midfield.

We probably have to trade to find the big forward, the midfielders can be found in the draft.

Some fringe players at other clubs maybe attainable at el cheapo rates

Tim Houlihan at West Coast is one who uses the footy pretty well and isnt getting a go
Nathan Djekurra will only ever be a bit player at Geelong.

The position that is going to cost us is the big power forward position. Its been the position that has been hurting us alot ... We dont have a big power forward. Still we have some players who are tradeable that could help us get such a forward- Does Richmond have the balls to trade properly? Thats the question.

Depending on where we finish- the PSD can also become an important tool to get a decent player. We have a long way to go but we have something to build on...afew changes to the list, a new coach, a new development mindset, things can get better at our club. Lets hope so anyway.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2009, 06:38:37 AM »
The position that is going to cost us is the big power forward position. Its been the position that has been hurting us alot ... We dont have a big power forward.
Pick 2 = Butcher

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2009, 07:18:52 AM »

I understand it is the system but that doesn't make it any better or more importantly right. Just look at the Eagles how can it be right or in the spirit of the game that 3 years after winning a flag they will get a priority pick.

Andy D and his croonies are leaving on fantast island if they don't think teams tank.

I never said we were going nowhere but right at the minute I have a real feeling of "nothingness". I really have concerns of what this mindest is doing now and more importantly long term to this club. Reality is there absolutely no guarantee that early picks is going to solve the problems

But for now I just don't care so what happens; happens  :'(

At least I have 6 more weeks to determine whether it's worth being part of things anymore - because trust me as I sadi right now I don't care about this footy club
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2009, 12:21:40 PM »
would have rather if we had lost the game narrowly at the end rather than draw.

Draws conjure many different emotions, been to a few and never really know to this day what to think apart from they are gut wrenching.

Sitting with a North supporter all I can say is at least we didn't lose! That way he got no pleasure from his second half antics, I'll wear that.

EMPTY  :(

Ox

« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2009, 12:46:16 PM »
I would have prefered a loss - it's what those insipid dogs deserve.

When will they become men    ?