Author Topic: Bowden retires [merged]  (Read 20625 times)

Moi

Re: Joel Press Conf @ 3 today
« Reply #210 on: August 12, 2009, 03:27:35 PM »
Snip! Stick to the topic people.

Lovely housekeeping One-Eyed  :-*

Daniel  ::)

:gotigers

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #211 on: August 12, 2009, 03:36:29 PM »
here is a 14 year player , a son of one of our Premiership players  and you disrespectful assholes continue to bag him

sickening really

i couldnt agree more, amazes me that so called supporters choose to pour scorn on the only decent players we have in last couple of decades, somehow blinding themselves from the litany of duds that have underlined the plight we find ourselves in...I could fill a couple of Vols of the Brittanica on the parody of stuff ups ...How any of that relates to a player that achieved 250 games, 2 AA and a couple of B&Fs, let em say, if every draft choice reached those heights, we wouldnt be arguing the toss right now....Bloody imbeciles some people :o
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Tigermonk

« Reply #212 on: August 12, 2009, 03:43:22 PM »
well said Bojangles  :thumbsup

Moi

« Reply #213 on: August 12, 2009, 03:50:49 PM »
here is a 14 year player , a son of one of our Premiership players  and you disrespectful assholes continue to bag him

sickening really

i couldnt agree more, amazes me that so called supporters choose to pour scorn on the only decent players we have in last couple of decades, somehow blinding themselves from the litany of duds that have underlined the plight we find ourselves in...I could fill a couple of Vols of the Brittanica on the parody of stuff ups ...How any of that relates to a player that achieved 250 games, 2 AA and a couple of B&Fs, let em say, if every draft choice reached those heights, we wouldnt be arguing the toss right now....Bloody imbeciles some people :o
You never let us down, Bo
Always ready to get on your high horse
You're such a joy  ::)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richmond's Bowden announces retirement (Age)
« Reply #214 on: August 12, 2009, 04:07:57 PM »
Richmond's Bowden announces retirement
August 12, 2009 - 3:59PM

Richmond veteran Joel Bowden has confirmed his retirement and will play his last senior game on Saturday against Collingwood.

Bowden, 31, has played 264 matches since his 1996 debut.

But he has been in the VFL since Jade Rawlings took over as senior coach mid-season and it was widely expected that this would be his last season.

"I'm certainly a better person, richer for the experience," Bowden said at Wednesday's media conference.

"I see myself as extremely fortunate ... it's been an honour, a privilege."

Bowden said he wanted to keep playing in the AFL, but added he understood the club's position.

He is also the AFL Players' Association president and will have an added workload there for the next couple of months after the retirement of chief executive Brendon Gale.

Bowden and Gale played together and Gale will now return to the Tigers as their new chief executive.

He will step down as AFLPA president next February and is unsure if he will have a future role in the AFL.

http://news.brisbanetimes.com.au/breaking-news-sport/richmonds-bowden-announces-retirement-20090812-ehke.html

Tigermonk

Re: Joel Press Conf @ 3 today / Bowden announces his retirement
« Reply #215 on: August 12, 2009, 04:20:31 PM »
 ;D stay tuned  :thumbsup

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #216 on: August 12, 2009, 05:03:43 PM »

sickening really

thanks for the support froarsy, simply defending the honour of one our clubs finest, it's the very least I could do...any SUPPORTER would do the same :shh
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Moi

« Reply #217 on: August 12, 2009, 05:13:30 PM »

sickening really

thanks for the support froarsy, simply defending the honour of one our clubs finest, it's the very least I could do...any SUPPORTER would do the same :shh
Thanks for the support yourself.  I clearly said I was just trying to get a rise out of Monk  ::)
You know, tongue in cheek stuff
 :banghead

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #219 on: August 12, 2009, 05:25:05 PM »
Thanks for the support yourself.  I clearly said I was just trying to get a rise out of Monk  ::)
You know, tongue in cheek stuff
 :banghead

Shirley you cant be serious

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Bowden pulls pin (RFC)
« Reply #220 on: August 12, 2009, 06:22:29 PM »
Bowden pulls pin
richmondfc.com.au
By Mic Cullen Wed 12 August, 2009

RICHMOND'S Joel Bowden announced his retirement from AFL football on Wednesday.

Bowden will play his 265th and final match against Collingwood on Saturday at the MCG.

Bowden last played an AFL match in round 11 this year against the Bulldogs, gathering 32 disposals.

That was also Terry Wallace's last game as coach. When caretaker Jade Rawlings took the reins, the youth policy instigated at the club saw the Tiger veteran go to the VFL.

The 31-year-old was philosophical about his extended stint in the VFL this year, saying he understood the club's position.

"I would have liked to have played more games, but at the same time I see myself as extremely fortunate and lucky to be given the opportunity to play here," Bowden said in the social club at Punt Rd on Wednesday afternoon.

"Only on reflection has it dawned on me the honour and the privilege of playing AFL football.

"It [retirement] has been brought on by the fact that we haven't had a great successful era - 2001 was the last time that we played finals, and I understand and respect the wishes of the football club."

The consummate team man, Bowden still had the team in the forefront of his mind when thinking about this weekend's game.

"I'll be playing my last game and hopefully it'll be a good one – hopefully we can play well," he said.

"Collingwood have been in good form, and if we can acquit ourselves well, we'll be a chance to knock them off.

"It's an important game, and after last weekend game we need to acquit ourselves well, and I need to make sure that I go out on a good note, and hopefully that's playing well and having a win."

Bowden said his time at Richmond had been terrific, and had many great memories and experiences.

Bowden last missed a game through injury in round four, 1998, and said he wanted to make more time for his family, in addition to looking at doing a post-graduate course at university in business or administration.

Bowden explained how being a footballer meant he had never taken his kids to the snow, something he planned to rectify next year.

"I had an unfortunate weekend a couple of weekends ago, when my brothers were in town, and they took my kids to the snow, and I was really disappointed, because that's something I want to do with them," Bowden said.

"And next year, hopefully there's an opportunity where I can chuck them in the car, drive up there and make some snowballs and throw them around.

"My family comes first – for me, I need to be a good father and a good husband."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/82578/default.aspx

Tigermonk

« Reply #221 on: August 12, 2009, 06:35:14 PM »
How can anyone get dropped after having 32 disposals in a game & he played well that day  :banghead

Jackstar is back

« Reply #222 on: August 12, 2009, 07:06:00 PM »
I think all of the RFC army should go this weekend and give him a great send off. He deserves it
Excellent person.
Excellent footballer.

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
« Reply #223 on: August 12, 2009, 07:24:29 PM »
Yes he was
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #224 on: August 12, 2009, 07:38:09 PM »
All the best to Joel in whatever he does in life after footy  :clapping.

How can anyone get dropped after having 32 disposals in a game & he played well that day  :banghead
Today explains why. He wasn't part of the team's future as it was his last year. Plus footy isn't just about raking up kicks and handballs these days. We did get flogged by 10 goals in that game.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd