Author Topic: Bowden retires [merged]  (Read 20635 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Loyal Tiger takes his curtain call (Age)
« Reply #225 on: August 13, 2009, 04:26:01 AM »
Loyal Tiger takes his curtain call
Martin Boulton | August 13, 2009

SOME retiring AFL players hang up their boots with an eye towards a possible assistant coaching job. A few open pubs, some have aspirations to join the media and some settle for regaling dinner companions with stories of their on-filed heroics.

Richmond veteran Joel Bowden has more than a few ideas about his life post-football, but for now the 31-year-old is simply looking forward to a few precious days on the snowfields with his children.

''I haven't spent a weekend at the snow, and that's something I plan to do,'' the dual All-Australian said.

''A couple of weeks ago, when my brothers were in town, they took my kids to the snow and I was really disappointed - that's something I want to do with them.''

For the past 14 winters, Bowden's weekends have revolved around his unwavering commitment to Richmond, which he first represented in round 17, 1996. He plays his 265th and final game for the Tigers against Collingwood on Saturday - his 143rd game at the MCG. ''That's where I've worked, on the biggest stage of all, and it's been sensational,'' he said yesterday.

Drafted to the Tigers under the league's father-son rule, Bowden recalls his father - 1969 premiership player Michael - talking about the club's ''time of great success'' long before he came to Punt Road.

''I probably didn't really understand that until a couple of years ago, when I'd only played in one finals series. When I arrived in 1996, Richmond had just played in a preliminary final and I thought all my Christmases had come at once - Richmond was on the way back up and I was going to be part of a successful team.

''That didn't occur straight away. It took a little while and a change of coach or two before we did make the finals.''

He's proud to have played on some of the game's brightest stars, including Nathan Buckley, James Hird and Robert Harvey during his days as a midfielder, and the likes of Jonathan Brown, Nick Riewoldt and Brendan Fevola in more recent years as a defender.

Bowden leaves the club in a state of transition, desperate to again become a force in September.

While there's obvious disappointment with the club's lack of on-field success, Bowden has an enormous capacity to look on the bright side of life.

''I left Alice Springs when I was 17, moved down and played with 250-odd players, met some great people, had some great experiences and will be better for it,'' he said.

''I'll leave Richmond as a better person, richer for the experience of being here.''

Bowden twice won the club's best and fairest award, twice represented Australia against Ireland and ends his career fourth on the club's list of games played.

''I won't miss the scrutiny and probably won't miss the early-morning starts, but on the whole AFL footy is a great occupation … I've enjoyed it immeasurably.

''I'll miss the fact footy gives you so many opportunities.''

Bowden will step down as president of the AFL Players Association at the end of his term in February.

After that, he's free to plan a holiday in the snow and explore the next stage of his life, which he says could involve post-graduate study and maybe, one day, a return to football.

''I've got a broad amount of experience … if that leads me back to football, an industry that has given me so much, I'd be happy to entertain that thought and perhaps give something back.''

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/rfnews/loyal-tiger-takes-his-curtain-call/2009/08/12/1249756351713.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Farewell to a true gentleman (Sportal)
« Reply #226 on: August 13, 2009, 04:27:19 AM »
Farewell to a true gentleman
12/08/2009 7:20 PM
Paul Gough

Joel Bowden's retirement is not just a sad day for Richmond fans but for those of us who earn our living writing about AFL players and a game becoming increasingly sterilised in terms of player/media relations.

The Richmond veteran, who announced his retirement on Wednesday at some would say the premature age of 31, is a throw back to the old days when players and the media could chat happily and openly about just about any subject.

Bowden may not leave the game as a premiership player - unlike his father Michael - but when it comes to class and decency off the field he is in a league of his own.

Full article at:
http://sportal.com.au/AFL-opinion-display/farewell-to-a-true-gentleman-75760

Tigermonk

Re: Bowden retires [merged]
« Reply #227 on: August 13, 2009, 06:37:30 AM »
Anyone notice something about yesterday, that when other clubs have press conferences & players are retiring.  That they have someone from the club sitting each side of the player to anounce his retirement & speak about what a great service that player has given to the club after all them years & wish him the best in the future.
Richmond is a club l see going downhill in terms of loyalty & appreceation to those who have served the football club. Bowden earned more respect than that & it clearly shows a rift.

Other younger players will see how others before them are treated & wouldnot suprise me if players like Deledio, Tambling, Cotchin are not at the club a few years.
Lets hope that Gale & some other new faces change the club & turn it around to treat players better

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #228 on: August 13, 2009, 07:13:48 AM »
Well done Joel and congratulations on your career

260 odd games very few can claim that

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #229 on: August 13, 2009, 09:01:23 AM »
Best Wishes Joel on a great career.  :clapping

Today explains why. He wasn't part of the team's future as it was his last year. Plus footy isn't just about raking up kicks and handballs these days. We did get flogged by 10 goals in that game.

Yep lets develop a champion team instead of a team with a few champions in it.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Bowden highlights (RFC)
« Reply #230 on: August 13, 2009, 04:08:08 PM »
Bowden rewound
richmondfc.com.au
By Mic Cullen Thu 13 August, 2009

A few highlights rack up over a 265-game career. Here are six of the best from Tigers veteran Joel Bowden.

1. Round eight, 1997 v West Coast
Bowden announced himself to the AFL world, kicking four goals straight in just his 13th game as the Tigers won by a point at the MCG. Damaged his shoulder during the game and missed the next 10 rounds.

2. Round 13, 2001 v St Kilda
Starred, kicking his best ever bag of five goals.

3. Round four, 2003 v St Kilda
Bowden baulked three Saints in succession before booting a great goal.

Bowden said of the shot: "I remember getting possession from Adam Houlihan about 50 metres from goal, and then finding I had to get past three Saints, including Robert Harvey. I somehow managed to baulk or sidestep one after the other, so that I could have a clear shot at goal. I then used a drop punt with my left foot that went through for a goal, much to my relief. I was pleased to have kicked the goal, but the best part came when some of my teammates rushed in to congratulate me. That's always the best part of it as a team game, and it's really exciting to see everyone so pumped."

The goal was nominated as one of the best 10 Tiger goals in last year's centenary celebrations.

4. Round eight, 2006 v Adelaide
 Bowden waxed (not poetically) across half-back with brother Patrick. They combined for 62 possessions as the Tigers won by a point.

5. Round 16, 2008 v Essendon
Late in the game, the Tigers led by six points and Bowden had the ball in the defensive goalsquare after an Essendon behind. Unable to find a target to kick to, Bowden twice retreated over the goal-line, giving up two behinds before finding teammate Jordan McMahon as the siren sounded.

The tactic put the whole strategy of teams rushing behinds under the microscope, and saw the rule changed after the season. Bowden jokingly blamed the tactic on McMahon, saying his inability to get away from the lumbering Jason Laycock until his third attempt to kick it in had forced the actions on him.

6. Round 17, 2008 v Brisbane Lions
Having played in defence for most of the year (he had kicked just five goals for the season to that point), Bowden kicked four straight, with the last one sealing the game for the Tigers just before the final siren.

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/6301/newsid/82613/default.aspx

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #231 on: August 13, 2009, 04:32:21 PM »
Rd 8 1997...we beat WCE by one point....try 52 pts.

!2 goals to 1 at half time.

Not that it really matters.
Unleash the tornado

TigerTimeII

« Reply #232 on: August 13, 2009, 04:37:05 PM »

remember that game quite well, we looked so good, wy the f do we always stuff up
maybe we are jinxed as a club

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #233 on: August 13, 2009, 04:49:11 PM »

Was that a Monday night game?

Tigermonk

« Reply #234 on: August 13, 2009, 05:08:04 PM »
19-May-1997  Round 8  Richmond 4.2  12.4  15.10  18.11.119   West Coast 1.4  1.8  5.11  9.13.67   M.C.G.  Crowd 26,721   

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #235 on: August 13, 2009, 05:17:33 PM »

Was that a Monday night game?

Yes :thumbsup
Unleash the tornado

Jackstar is back

« Reply #236 on: August 13, 2009, 10:01:08 PM »
Lets hope he has 50 possesions and gets 3 votes and sticks it up everyone

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #237 on: August 13, 2009, 10:03:37 PM »

Jack it's not how many times you get the thing it's what you do with it

Quality over quantity

Rather see him get 15 possies and kick 3 goals than him get 30+ possessions
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Jackstar is back

« Reply #238 on: August 13, 2009, 10:05:12 PM »

Jack it's not how many times you get the thing it's what you do with it

Quality over quantity

Rather see him get 15 possies and kick 3 goals than him get 30+ possessions

I know that, Figure of speech

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #239 on: August 13, 2009, 10:06:23 PM »

I hope he has a real good game too but I will stay away from Joel's personal actions  :o